HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Best matchups...? ( not a jynx thread) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1393189)

BrandonG 04-02-2013 01:19 PM

Best matchups...? ( not a jynx thread)

In no way am I trying to jynx the sharks here, but it it seems pretty likely that the sharks will atleast make the playoffs this year. With the thought of LA from last year, if you guys could choose the best possible matchups for the sharks, that they could have a chance in a series, who would they be?

IMO only chicago, and St louis could pretty handily beat the sharks in a 7 game series, with Vancouver being a toss up,

I'd be pretty to somewhat confident that the sharks could atleast take the other 4 teams

WTFetus 04-02-2013 01:20 PM

I just don't want 7th/8th (in other words, anyone but Chicago or Anaheim).

Fistfullofbeer 04-02-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WTFetus (Post 63033005)
I just don't want 7th/8th (in other words, anyone but Chicago or Anaheim).

Despite the ups and downs this year I have a lot better feeling about the Sharks in the playoffs this year than last year.

If they keep their current (last 5 games) level of play I expect them to be competitive against all teams. The only team that really concerns me is the Hawks.

Phu 04-02-2013 01:23 PM

IMO they have a chance against everyone this year, Anaheim is a pretender, but the toughest opponents would be LA and Chicago. The team seems to somehow get it done against LA despite getting dominated, and this year's team has shown the ability to hang with Chicago (plus they will surely use Zeus against us!)

Of course every opponent is tough in the playoffs.

sjshark91 04-02-2013 01:25 PM

Win Division play Wings.

Prediction.

WTFetus 04-02-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer (Post 63033237)
Despite the ups and downs this year I have a lot better feeling about the Sharks in the playoffs this year than last year.

If they keep their current (last 5 games) level of play I expect them to be competitive against all teams. The only team that really concerns me is the Hawks.

I agree. I just don't want Anaheim because I think it'd be one of the most physically grueling match-ups.

DuckEatinShark 04-02-2013 01:33 PM

I'd prefer the Canucks or the Kings in the first round. The Wild will be pretty charged up in the playoffs after not being there for a while. The Hawks have killed us all year and the Ducks always play us tough.

I highly doubt we play the Blues in the 1st round, but I'd like to avoid their 3 best defensemen (AP, Shatty, JBo) as much as possible.

I have no problem playing the Wings again but that Datsyuk guy.....

TheJuxtaposer 04-02-2013 01:34 PM

You know, just because you put "not a jinx thread" in the title, doesn't make it not a jinx thread.

Anyone but Chicago.

SJeasy 04-02-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 63034411)
You know, just because you put "not a jinx thread" in the title, doesn't make it not a jinx thread.

Anyone but Chicago.

I would add the Wild.

I think they could overcome Detroit, Vancouver and St. Louis. I think Nashville, LA and Anaheim would be tough and a tossup.

TheJuxtaposer 04-02-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJeasy (Post 63035169)
I would add the Wild.

I think they could overcome Detroit, Vancouver and St. Louis. I think Nashville, LA and Anaheim would be tough and a tossup.

The Wild? Seriously?

WTFetus 04-02-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 63035461)
The Wild? Seriously?

I never thought of them as much of a contender either, unless I'm missing something.

Not too fond of their fans anymore after the whole Heatley >>> Havlat, Coyle >>> Burns stuff.

TheJuxtaposer 04-02-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WTFetus (Post 63035581)
I never thought of them as much of a contender either, unless I'm missing something.

Not too fond of their fans anymore after the whole Heatley >>> Havlat, Coyle >>> Burns stuff.

Exactly. The only reason they're good is because they lucked out and got Suter and Parise to sign with them.

SJeasy 04-02-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 63035461)
The Wild? Seriously?

It's the way they matchup. I did not like the last game they played against them. I am really looking forward to the next game. I will probably pay more attention to zone time and the shotclock than the actual score as an indicator of the weight on each side of the matchup.

On paper, the Wild should go through fits covering more than one line which the Sharks can field. In reality, that may not be the case. They may be supplementing their second pairing with high end defensive forwards (eg Koivu).

TheJuxtaposer 04-02-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJeasy (Post 63035931)
It's the way they matchup. I did not like the last game they played against them. I am really looking forward to the next game. I will probably pay more attention to zone time and the shotclock than the actual score as an indicator of the weight on each side of the matchup.

On paper, the Wild should go through fits covering more than one line which the Sharks can field. In reality, that may not be the case. They may be supplementing their second pairing with high end defensive forwards (eg Koivu).

Score effect certainly played a big role, but the Sharks were able to lay it on the Wild down two in the third, out-shooting them 4 to 1. Consider this team seems to have trouble when down, I would think that's encouraging.

SJeasy 04-02-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 63036581)
Score effect certainly played a big role, but the Sharks were able to lay it on the Wild down two in the third, out-shooting them 4 to 1. Consider this team seems to have trouble when down, I would think that's encouraging.

I sort of discount some of the shotclock if they are playing kitchen sink hockey. Anything at the net. If they are going for a bit of playmaking or stretching then that is a different story. If the Wild shutdown their stretch, that may be a problem. Part of the Sharks' latest win streak is cross ice coming out of the zone (finally). If the Wild shut that down . . .

HOOCH2173 04-02-2013 02:11 PM

So in other words you guys want Detroit or Edmonton. heh.

magic school bus 04-02-2013 02:54 PM

I want the Ducks in a 1/8 situation so we can ruin their season like they ruined our President's Trophy

DuckEatinShark 04-02-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOOCH2173 (Post 63038051)
So in other words you guys want Detroit or Edmonton. heh.

Sure, if they get in:p:

justinboo* 04-02-2013 03:14 PM

i wouldnt mind playing vancouver or kings, would certainly give us a lot of confidence beating them.

Brent Burns 04-02-2013 03:32 PM

Tennyson will deliver us to the promise land

Tkachuk4MVP 04-02-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer (Post 63033237)

My thoughts exactly.

murdock1116 04-02-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magic school bus (Post 63042753)
I want the Ducks in a 1/8 situation so we can ruin their season like they ruined our President's Trophy

Agreed. I think this could be our payback year :handclap:

Also I think the Wild could be exposed come playoff time.

Brent Burns 04-02-2013 06:45 PM

Somebody's been playing Pokemon

Sharksfan83 04-02-2013 06:56 PM

Just make the playoffs, than who cares. The only thing I hope is someone upsets the Hawks. The rest of the West is so evenly matched, no series will be much easier than another.

DuckEatinShark 04-02-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharksfan83 (Post 63071143)
Just make the playoffs, than who cares. The only thing I hope is someone upsets the Hawks. The rest of the West is so evenly matched, no series will be much easier than another.

Even the Hawks look beatable with Sharp and Hossa banged up. However, there's no way we can match the speed of the Hawks for a full 60+ minutes.