HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Player Discussion: A bevy of new draft picks, what is the plan??? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1393513)

FeedingFrenzy 04-02-2013 05:59 PM

A bevy of new draft picks, what is the plan???

Is DW done wheeling and dealing?? Do we sit on all these new picks?
Package Petrecki, Sateri, 2nd & 3rd to say NYI for Grabner/Okposo +??
Pick / prospect to Car for Larose??

Oh the possibilities:yo:

Brent Burns 04-02-2013 06:02 PM

Calm down there junior. Lets just bathe in all these draft picks for a minute. Something we haven't done in years

LadyStanley 04-02-2013 06:06 PM

Why did DW acquire so many draft picks (and no prospects?)

There was a question asked as to why has DW been so preoccupied with acquiring draft picks?

Well, maybe it was my suggestion. :sarcasm:

I sent him correspondence over the summer concerned with the Sharks lack of draft picks, the small prospect pool and shallow depth chart.

Even with signing a large number of undrafted collegians/junior players, could the Sharks fill their needed depth? I asked.

Chubbs 04-02-2013 06:09 PM

Move up in the draft or hope one of our choices drops to one of our many second round spots.

DW will probably flip a 2nd for a 3rd liner tomorrow too because it's DW.

MarleauApologist 04-02-2013 06:19 PM

DO WANT Michael Grabner. He's a beast.

TheJuxtaposer 04-02-2013 06:20 PM

Trade every pick in the draft for Sean Monahan. :sarcasm:

But yes, it is glorious to bathe in the wealth of draft picks, even if they're probably gone within 18 hours.

VP and GM 04-02-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyStanley (Post 63063977)
There was a question asked as to why has DW been so preoccupied with acquiring draft picks?

Well, maybe it was my suggestion. :sarcasm:

I sent him correspondence over the summer concerned with the Sharks lack of draft picks, the small prospect pool and shallow depth chart.

Even with signing a large number of undrafted collegians/junior players, could the Sharks fill their needed depth? I asked.

I think the recent deals that resulted in picks to us were because the young players he wanted to obtain in return had a price tag to high. With our small prospect pool and shallow depth chart, we just could not afford to empty the pool for this kind of player. Really he had little choice but to get picks as a result as the players moved out where not key core contributors.

I also am sure the team refresh is starting and the need for more picks / prospects to replace current roster players to re stock the pool is critical over the next several years. My concern is that the pipeline for any current prospects, say forwards, won't result in full time top half NHL players for a couple of years, one if we are lucky. Picks we convert to prospects may also take some time also, we'll have a gap between current core and replacements...

Oppa 04-02-2013 06:22 PM

how many picks does it take to trade for a 1st overall or top 5 for that matter? anyone know? Me no understand the history of NHL drafts very good...

Sharksfan83 04-02-2013 06:22 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to see another move. We have a logjam of almost ready NHL D prospects with absolutely no room for them all in which they need to get some NHL time.. Wouldn't be surprised to see a draft pick + say someone like Petrecki moved for a similary positioned forward prospect.

LeeIFBB 04-02-2013 06:22 PM

Trade 'em all to move up and draft a player that you could have traded down and still gotten.

TheJuxtaposer 04-02-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawaii (Post 63066259)
how many picks does it take to trade for a 1st overall or top 5 for that matter? anyone know? Me no understand the history of NHL drafts very good...

People almost never trade top-5 picks, so we don't really know.

hockeyball 04-02-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VP and GM (Post 63066217)
I think the recent deals that resulted in picks to us were because the young players he wanted to obtain in return had a price tag to high. With our small prospect pool and shallow depth chart, we just could not afford to empty the pool for this kind of player. Really he had little choice but to get picks as a result as the players moved out where not key core contributors.

I also am sure the team refresh is starting and the need for more picks / prospects to replace current roster players to re stock the pool is critical over the next several years. My concern is that the pipeline for any current prospects, say forwards, won't result in full time top half NHL players for a couple of years, one if we are lucky. Picks we convert to prospects may also take some time also, we'll have a gap between current core and replacements...

Yah, that is a major concern. Even one decent 1st, or promising prospect would help immensely, instead we got a bunch of picks that we will be lucky to turn into 2-3 NHL players (that would be beating the odds considerably) in 3-4 years. What do we do until then?

sjshark91 04-02-2013 06:25 PM

A top 5 pick would be a lot unless you're talking to CBJ.

ChompChomp 04-02-2013 06:26 PM

Now that cap space is cleared up, isn't this the time to offer a 7th for Jussi Jokinen?

DuckEatinShark 04-02-2013 06:27 PM

Everyone say it with me now:

Trade Them Off For Barkov

:D

Negatively Positive 04-02-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckEatinShark (Post 63066905)
Everyone say it with me now:

Trade Them Off For Barkov

:D

DW: Barkov? Sounds Russian. **** off.

rangerssharks414 04-02-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChompChomp (Post 63066865)
Now that cap space is cleared up, isn't this the time to offer a 7th for Jussi Jokinen?

Wasn't he just on waivers?

ChompChomp 04-02-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rangerssharks414 (Post 63067579)

Well yeah but it's probably a cap issue, which now the Sharks have resolved.

pappaf2 04-02-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rangerssharks414 (Post 63067579)

Yes but teams wanted to send some salary back Carolina's way.

SharksAddict 04-02-2013 06:38 PM

I don't think he uses the picks for anything tonight or tomorrow. He'll use them at the draft to either move up or acquire whatever pieces they need in the offseason.

Negatively Positive 04-02-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharksAddict (Post 63068645)
I don't think he uses the picks for anything tonight or tomorrow. He'll use them at the draft to either move up or acquire whatever pieces they need in the offseason.

But they literally don't have a #13 forward right now. They would have to call up some scrub from Worcester. Until Demers gets back, they don't have an extra forward or defenseman. I guess they can activate Kennedy from IR.

LadyStanley 04-02-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawaii (Post 63066259)

Edmonton was offered high 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th for 1st overall (Yakopov). Didn't bite.

ChompChomp 04-02-2013 06:42 PM

I've heard that unless you get into the top 5, this isn't the draft you want to move up into because the talent disparity between the top 5 and the remainder of the first round. Anyone else heard that?

SharksAddict 04-02-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark Fin Soup (Post 63068849)
But they literally don't have a #13 forward right now. They would have to call up some scrub from Worcester. Until Demers gets back, they don't have an extra forward or defenseman. I guess they can activate Kennedy from IR.

Suppose I should have clarified, don't think he'll move any of the new picks we got, maybe use a 5th-7th rounder for a depth guy but also wouldn't be surprised if they rely on a waiver pickup or Worcester to fill in the depth.

DuckEatinShark 04-02-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark Fin Soup (Post 63068849)

I'm thinking DW trades one of those 2nds for Chimera or Stempniak. And TMac will keep Burns at forward until the end of the season. That way we have Boyle, Stuart, Vlasic, Irwin, Demers and Braun playing regularly, with Tennyson as our 7th.

Really wish DW will keep the picks, but I doubt it.