HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Florida Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Speculation: Is Bjugstad being fast tracked to replace Weiss? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1394841)

adam graves 04-03-2013 06:23 PM

Is Bjugstad being fast tracked to replace Weiss?

This may be inference building but....

Bjustdad gets signed, skips AHL right to NHL.

Tallon states emphatically he could care less if a year gets burned off ELC.

Tallon talks of using this yr to prepare him for training camp and making team.

Tallon had a "single talk" last friday and discusses it with less enthusiasm than any one else.

Me thinks if Bjustadt shows any sign of life, he's the new Weiss and at a savings of millions in salary.

Thoughts?

Ghoste 04-03-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam graves (Post 63210483)
This may be inference building but....

Bjustdad gets signed, skips AHL right to NHL.

Tallon states emphatically he could care less if a year gets burned off ELC.

Tallon talks of using this yr to prepare him for training camp and making team.

Tallon had a "single talk" last friday and discusses it with less enthusiasm than any one else.

Me thinks if Bjustadt shows any sign of life, he's the new Weiss and at a savings of millions in salary.

Thoughts?

I imagine that's the hope. We'll see how he plays. I liked hearing the speculations that perhaps the college game was losing it's challenges for him, hence the not so spectacular numbers. Whether that's true or not, idk.

-ghoste

RainingRats 04-03-2013 06:30 PM

I think Bjugstad is going to be a good player but I don't think you can responsibly fast track him to take over the number 1 center role. It would be best for his development to be sheltered behind someone playing center on the second or third line. Or first line center in San Antonio.

adam graves 04-03-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainingRats (Post 63211285)
I think Bjugstad is going to be a good player but I don't think you can responsibly fast track him to take over the number 1 center role. It would be best for his development to be sheltered behind someone playing center on the second or third line. Or first line center in San Antonio.

I agree with you RR.

If they dont sign Weiss, they must spend the $ on a proven lst line center to replace him

thats too much to put on bjugstad.

Marchessault Good 04-03-2013 06:55 PM

Man it'd be nice if Weiss resigned

ShootIt 04-03-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam graves (Post 63213951)
I agree with you RR.

If they dont sign Weiss, they must spend the $ on a proven lst line center to replace him

thats too much to put on bjugstad.

Matthias, Shore, Bjugstad and Goc signed through next year+.
Guys like Knight and Trocheck coming up to the AHL/NHL in the upcoming years...

We might be players for another center, but, I doubt it's nothing more than a stop gap.

So, if Weiss isn't re-signed, I expect an older former top 6 center to be possibly signed.

Or we can draft Barkov or MacKinnon and be set at center :sarcasm:

Acadmus 04-03-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gudbranson4Prez (Post 63214065)

Ditto - I'd love to see this team NOT crap on another player who's shown loyalty and dedication to the Panthers throughout his ENTIRE career. Bad enough they keep passing him over for captain.

Given Bjugstad's talent and apparent ceiling, I can see why Tallon would want him fast tracked to the team with the hope that he'll make it to the top line. That doesn't mean he's to replace Weiss so much as to allow Weiss to play a more appropriate role as a 2nd line center.

I'd love to see a top line next year that features Huberdeau and Bjugstad, and move the Fleischmann-Weiss-Versteeg trio to the 2nd line. The Panthers would have to get a legit top line LW in free agency, though.

Panteras 04-03-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainingRats (Post 63211285)

This. I say we put him in the AHL, we also sign Trochek and send him to San Antonio along with whoever is our 1st overall.

Have all these kids, Howden, Trochek, Bjugstad, Petrovic (at least), Druin/Jones/McKinnon (if not in the NHL), Matheson(?), Grimaldi (?) etc.. all playing together and already in the AHL , would be freaking awesome and have them already geling and building chemistry, why do you think the current team of Barcelona in soccer has been so successful? Those guys have been playing together since their teen years, they basically pass the ball to each other with their eyes closed.

angry_treefrog 04-03-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acadmus (Post 63217001)
Ditto - I'd love to see this team NOT crap on another player who's shown loyalty and dedication to the Panthers throughout his ENTIRE career. Bad enough they keep passing him over for captain.

Given Bjugstad's talent and apparent ceiling, I can see why Tallon would want him fast tracked to the team with the hope that he'll make it to the top line. That doesn't mean he's to replace Weiss so much as to allow Weiss to play a more appropriate role as a 2nd line center.

I'd love to see a top line next year that features Huberdeau and Bjugstad, and move the Fleischmann-Weiss-Versteeg trio to the 2nd line. The Panthers would have to get a legit top line LW in free agency, though.

Maybe there's a reason three different head coaches decided that he wasn't captain material.

Is Weiss loyal to the Panthers or is he loyal to year round golf and the South Florida lifestyle?

If Tallon resigns him, fine. I think Tallon's vision of the center position consists of larger, more physical players though. I really don't see a long term contract being offered, unless there's some significant financial concessions on Weiss' part.

This is Weiss' chance to cash in. He's earned that right. He won't get it from Tallon (IMO). If he gets it from someone else then good for him.

Dr Beinfest 04-03-2013 08:50 PM

Give Weiss what he wants, within reason. Honor his loyalty.

DrMom9900 04-03-2013 08:55 PM

**** weiss. Get a real 1st line center, prospective or current.

adam graves 04-03-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acadmus (Post 63217001)

They dont pass over him; they rightly CHOOSE over him.

kopecky or Campbell were better choices than Weiss. and soon enough Gudbranson will be.

Loyalty is a nice characteristic, but not one of the elements that makes a good captain. Clearly when a 3x captain passes over him, ill trust Weiss isn't a good captain.

NHL Rules NBA Sux 04-03-2013 09:03 PM

I'm not sure if Bjugstad should go to the AHL first or jump into the lineup right away. I've always been a fan of guys getting NHL experience and learning the speed of the game but then I look at a team like the Oilers and see how some of their prospects have been rushed a bit. I think spending an extra year in Junior helped Huberdeau and might end up being the best player to come out of last seasons draft. I can't wait to see what Bjugstad can do. He's a big body and has the potential to be a stud.

adam graves 04-03-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Move the Coyotes (Post 63234009)
I'm not sure if Bjugstad should go to the AHL first or jump into the lineup right away. I've always been a fan of guys getting NHL experience and learning the speed of the game but then I look at a team like the Oilers and see how some of their prospects have been rushed a bit. I think spending an extra year in Junior helped Huberdeau and might end up being the best player to come out of last seasons draft. I can't wait to see what Bjugstad can do. He's a big body and has the potential to be a stud.

Why arent u a panther fan....

Dread Clawz 04-03-2013 09:20 PM

The Weiss line(what's left of it) isn't really the 1st line right now anyway, so Bjugstad wouldn't be the 1st line center. It'd probably be Matthias. He's playing well with Huby right now.

Dread Clawz 04-03-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Move the Coyotes (Post 63234009)

Bjugstad has three years of development since the draft as opposed to Huby's 1.5.

NHL Rules NBA Sux 04-03-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam graves (Post 63234423)
Why arent u a panther fan....

I am. I just like the Leafs too

adam graves 04-03-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Move the Coyotes (Post 63239691)
I am. I just like the Leafs too

Fair enough!!!

FrolikFan67 04-03-2013 09:42 PM

bjugstad isnt being rushed at all. he couldve played this year but he decided to go back to school. played 3 full seasons in college and now he has a chance to get some games in and get a feel for the speed and physicality of the nhl and be that much ready for next season. him playing now and getting some games in is the best thing to do imo. he's being handled just fine.

hope we can draft mackinnon and have mac, bjugstad, matthias, and goc up the middle, not to mention shore and trocheck. we'd finally be set at center.

pb1300 04-03-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrolikFan67 (Post 63240275)
bjugstad isnt being rushed at all. he couldve played this year but he decided to go back to school. played 3 full seasons in college and now he has a chance to get some games in and get a feel for the speed and physicality of the nhl and be that much ready for next season. him playing now and getting some games in is the best thing to do imo. he's being handled just fine.

hope we can draft mackinnon and have mac, bjugstad, matthias, and goc up the middle, not to mention shore and trocheck. we'd finally be set at center.

I agree. Having him come up now will work in his favor. Nick will be able to see the speed, skill, and physical difference, and have a whole summer to improve in certain areas. I think it's better off that way, rather than going through that routine during the exhibition games nest season, and missing out on a summer where he would have a firmer grasp of the NHL game.

And I think if Mac is drafted, he would be a winger for us. I'm thinking he , Nick, and Huby would be our top line of the future.

nhlfan9191 04-03-2013 10:12 PM

The last thing we need to do is put the weight of the world on his shoulders with our crappy team this season. With only 10+ games left, just let him get a feel for the game at the NHL level.

nhlfan9191 04-03-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrolikFan67 (Post 63240275)

If we get MacKinnon, we're pretty much stacked. We just need to avoid falling into the same hole Edmonton fell into. But I highly doubt we will because Tallon knows his **** unlike that clown known as Tambolini.

Ekblast 04-04-2013 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gudbranson4Prez (Post 63214065)

No it wouldn't.

hockey dude 04-04-2013 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Beinfest (Post 63231499)
Give Weiss what he wants, within reason. Honor his loyalty.

Loyalty doesn't win Stanley Cups. Weiss will want something a little longer term than what I think Tallon will want to or need to give. With all that's coming up Weiss to me is worth at most maybe a one year contract - that's it.

Don't think Bjugstad will be fast tracked. Probably more like Matthias has been slow tracked and Bjugstad will have to prove himself and earn his way up.

Mueller and Matthias have to be re signed. What do you think that will cost?

CanadianPantherFan 04-04-2013 03:55 AM

I am just as concerned with Matthias taking over Weiss spot long term compared to Bjugstad playing the second line role to start next season. What do the Panthers do then if they sign/draft a #1 centre type guy?? Tough call. I don't think Matthias or Bjugstad are the answer for #3/4 centre slots either...use a less skilled player there.