HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Traded Ranger Draft Picks: Where Are They Now? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1394917)

UAGoalieGuy 04-03-2013 07:45 PM

Traded Ranger Draft Picks: Where Are They Now?
 
The thought of this randomly, what has happened to the players that have been selected with picks the Rangers have traded over the last 10 years or so for UFA rentals/vets/upgrades etc. Would be cool to continue following this for the next couple of years as well. I will also look at players selected 5 or so spots after the Rangers were supposed to select. Im not going to count pick to pick trades. So here we go:

2002:

- Rangers 1st to Panthers (Bure): Eric Nystrom (selected after: Ballard, Eminger, Semin, Higgins, Niinimaki)
- 2nd to Panthers (Bure): Robert Globke (Lindstrom, Holtet, Daley, Greene, Linhart)
- 4th to Oilers (Poti): Ivan Koltsov (Kalteva, Hulva, Desautels, Immonen, Almtorp)

2003:

- 3rd to Flyers (Lindros): Stefan Ruzicka (Maunce, Werner, Barulin, Picard, Hynes)
- 4th to Panthers (Bure): Guillium Desbiens (Lassila, Redicker, Saunders, Blaho, Bissonnette)

2004:

- 2nd to Avs (Barnaby): David Shantz (Pick originally from the Panthers. Peters, J. Smith, Lewis, Bryan Bickel, Volscenko)
- 4th (Mironov): Fredrik Naslund (Schafer, Painchaud, Fugere, Rome, Carson)
- 7th (Betts): Matt Schinder (Verance, Pottruff, Bouthiolette, Tuominin, Curry)
- 8th (Pushor): Matt Greer (Macintyre, Fiedler, Christie, Carefoot, Fukufuji)

2005:

- No trades for players during draft.

2006:

- 3rd (Ozolinsh): John DeGray (Hillier - Rangers pick, Sesito, Holloway, J. Armstrong, Ahnelov)

2007:

- 3rd (Bourret): Robert Bortuzzo (Palmieri, Zabotel, Thang, Camron, Pielmeir)
- 4th (Rucchin): Brett Bruneteau (Dwight King, Falk, Caputi, Scheive, Patterson)

2008:

- 3rd (Avery): Corey Fienhage (Henrique, Cousineau, Deserres, McMillan, Quailer, Ian Schultz)

2009:

- 2nd (Antropov): Kenny Ryan (Dumoulin, Panik, Rodin, Gelinas, Orlov)
- 5th (Chad Johnson): Andy Bathgate ( Andres Lee, Labrique, Maxwell, Bubnick, Pelech)

2010:

- 3rd (Boyle): Jordan Weal (Bournival, Janosik, Leach, Max Gardiner, Sundher)
-6th (Niemi): Tanner Lane (Dahlstrom, Davidson, Abeltshauser, Macauly, Gothberg)

2011:

- 2nd (Erixon): Markus Granlund (Edmundson, Nieto, Oulette, Gibson, Sundstrom)
- 2nd (Erixon): Tyler Wortherspoon (Kucherov, Bengtsson, Lucia, Prince, Perhonen)
- 3rd (Mcabe): Logan Shaw (Catenacci, Serville, Dahlbeck, Andreoff, Camara)
- 6th (Shelley): Danil Sobchenko (Lieuwen, Pribyl, Jardine, Balisey, McCormick)

I'll do 2012 and list the recent traded picks a bit later!

GWOW 04-03-2013 09:01 PM

Pretty telling list. This is why I don't cry over trading 2nd and 3rd rounders.

You should post this on the Clowe page.

UAGoalieGuy 04-03-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWOW (Post 63233647)
Pretty telling list. This is why I don't cry over trading 2nd and 3rd rounders.

You should post this on the Clowe page.

I just did. Only players that peak some interest are Semin, Ballard, and Henrique.

aemoreira1981 04-03-2013 09:28 PM

The only ones really amounting to anything here are Eric Nystrom and Robert Bortuzzo. That's very telling.

RangerFan10 04-04-2013 01:43 AM

I think you probably have to take into account what was still available at the pick, too. We scout well in the mid-rounds of drafts.

UAGoalieGuy 04-04-2013 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerFan10 (Post 63260539)
I think you probably have to take into account what was still available at the pick, too. We scout well in the mid-rounds of drafts.

Honestly, with most of these selections you could go out another 5-10 picks and not really find anything.

Tanner Glass 04-04-2013 06:35 AM

Only one where we really missed out was what could have been Henrique for Avery.

The first in 2001 might have been something, but it wasn't a Pavel Bure they missed out on (putting injuries aside)

Cresto 04-04-2013 06:40 AM

It's really

10-10-10-9999999999999888888888877777
777777777777777766666666666666666666
666666666666666666666666666666666666
666666666666555555555555555555555555
554444444444444444444444444444444444
444444444444444333333333333333333333
333333333333333333333333333222221111

In terms of quality so 2nd and 3rd rounds are only slightly better in terms of odds for picking out a great player than later rounds.

Screw You Rick Nash 04-04-2013 08:09 AM

Anyone know who Quebec selected with out first round pick after the trade for Michel Bergeron (head coach)?

bobbop 04-04-2013 08:45 AM

Seem to remember that the 1st moved in Pat Verbeek deal was used to pick JS Giguere.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 04-04-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parker McDonald (Post 63265981)
Anyone know who Quebec selected with out first round pick after the trade for Michel Bergeron (head coach)?

Some kid named Sakic. Not sure if he ever panned out.

Kris Chreider 04-04-2013 09:01 AM

Well, at least there is absolutely zero chance we pick another Jessiman over studs later in the 1st round. Zero.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 04-04-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy (Post 63222099)
The thought of this randomly, what has happened to the players that have been selected with picks the Rangers have traded over the last 10 years or so for UFA rentals/vets/upgrades etc. Would be cool to continue following this for the next couple of years as well. I will also look at players selected 5 or so spots after the Rangers were supposed to select. Im not going to count pick to pick trades. So here we go:

2002:

- Rangers 1st to Panthers (Bure): Eric Nystrom (selected after: Ballard, Eminger, Semin, Higgins, Niinimaki)
- 2nd to Panthers (Bure): Robert Globke (Lindstrom, Holtet, Daley, Greene, Linhart)
- 4th to Oilers (Poti): Ivan Koltsov (Kalteva, Hulva, Desautels, Immonen, Almtorp)

2003:

- 3rd to Flyers (Lindros): Stefan Ruzicka (Maunce, Werner, Barulin, Picard, Hynes)
- 4th to Panthers (Bure): Guillium Desbiens (Lassila, Redicker, Saunders, Blaho, Bissonnette)

2004:

- 2nd to Avs (Barnaby): David Shantz (Pick originally from the Panthers. Peters, J. Smith, Lewis, Bryan Bickel, Volscenko)
- 4th (Mironov): Fredrik Naslund (Schafer, Painchaud, Fugere, Rome, Carson)
- 7th (Betts): Matt Schinder (Verance, Pottruff, Bouthiolette, Tuominin, Curry)
- 8th (Pushor): Matt Greer (Macintyre, Fiedler, Christie, Carefoot, Fukufuji)

2005:

- No trades for players during draft.

2006:

- 3rd (Ozolinsh): John DeGray (Hillier - Rangers pick, Sesito, Holloway, J. Armstrong, Ahnelov)

2007:

- 3rd (Bourret): Robert Bortuzzo (Palmieri, Zabotel, Thang, Camron, Pielmeir)
- 4th (Rucchin): Brett Bruneteau (Dwight King, Falk, Caputi, Scheive, Patterson)

2008:

- 3rd (Avery): Corey Fienhage (Henrique, Cousineau, Deserres, McMillan, Quailer, Ian Schultz)

2009:

- 2nd (Antropov): Kenny Ryan (Dumoulin, Panik, Rodin, Gelinas, Orlov)
- 5th (Chad Johnson): Andy Bathgate ( Andres Lee, Labrique, Maxwell, Bubnick, Pelech)

2010:

- 3rd (Boyle): Jordan Weal (Bournival, Janosik, Leach, Max Gardiner, Sundher)
-6th (Niemi): Tanner Lane (Dahlstrom, Davidson, Abeltshauser, Macauly, Gothberg)

2011:

- 2nd (Erixon): Markus Granlund (Edmundson, Nieto, Oulette, Gibson, Sundstrom)
- 2nd (Erixon): Tyler Wortherspoon (Kucherov, Bengtsson, Lucia, Prince, Perhonen)
- 3rd (Mcabe): Logan Shaw (Catenacci, Serville, Dahlbeck, Andreoff, Camara)
- 6th (Shelley): Danil Sobchenko (Lieuwen, Pribyl, Jardine, Balisey, McCormick)

I'll do 2012 and list the recent traded picks a bit later!

I see what you're trying to do here and I think it's oversimplified and flawed for a couple of reasons:

1) You can't judge the value of a Ranger draft pick based on other team's talent evaluation.

2) Going five or even ten picks passed the player who was selected isn't really telling. Again, it comes down to talent evaluation. Take the Panther's second #1 pick in the 2003 draft (25 overall), Anthony Stewart. The five picks after Stewart were (Boyle, Tambellini, Perry, Eaves and Belle). But taken 9 picks later was Loui Erikkson and taken 20 picks later was Patrice Bergeron. Those players were available when Florida had there second first round pick. Does that make the pick less valuable because they didn't pick one of those other guys? Or did they just make a bad pick based on Florida's own scouts and draft board? A better question is if they had drafted Erikkson or Bergeron would that have made the pick more valuable?

3) A value of a draft pick is not solely based on who is selected. Picks can be used to move up in a draft if there's a player you really want (Rangers for Staal, for instance).

4) Obviously, more picks won't make it than will.

So, yes, looking at picks in a vacuum and with the benefit of hindsight will make them appear less valuable. And in a salary cap world, they become even more valuable as teams need to be able to reach into their farm systems for cheap, young, and controllable talent.

Off Sides 04-04-2013 10:10 AM

Some of the Rangers draft picks are also on the Rangers. I think those would have to be included as well in order to make a comparison.

Screw You Rick Nash 04-04-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 63267425)
Some kid named Sakic. Not sure if he ever panned out.

I thought it was him, but every time I try researching it I'm never able to find anything.

Damn.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 04-04-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parker McDonald (Post 63272581)
I thought it was him, but every time I try researching it I'm never able to find anything.

Damn.

Bergeron didn't even coach two full seasons in New York. And then went right back to Quebec!

Trxjw 04-04-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 63269641)
I see what you're trying to do here and I think it's oversimplified and flawed for a couple of reasons:

1) You can't judge the value of a Ranger draft pick based on other team's talent evaluation.

2) Going five or even ten picks passed the player who was selected isn't really telling. Again, it comes down to talent evaluation. Take the Panther's second #1 pick in the 2003 draft (25 overall), Anthony Stewart. The five picks after Stewart were (Boyle, Tambellini, Perry, Eaves and Belle). But taken 9 picks later was Loui Erikkson and taken 20 picks later was Patrice Bergeron. Those players were available when Florida had there second first round pick. Does that make the pick less valuable because they didn't pick one of those other guys? Or did they just make a bad pick based on Florida's own scouts and draft board? A better question is if they had drafted Erikkson or Bergeron would that have made the pick more valuable?

3) A value of a draft pick is not solely based on who is selected. Picks can be used to move up in a draft if there's a player you really want (Rangers for Staal, for instance).

4) Obviously, more picks won't make it than will.

So, yes, looking at picks in a vacuum and with the benefit of hindsight will make them appear less valuable. And in a salary cap world, they become even more valuable as teams need to be able to reach into their farm systems for cheap, young, and controllable talent.

Very well said.

GAGLine 04-04-2013 01:10 PM

I look at it this way. We traded 2, probably 3 picks for Clowe. We got 3 young NHL players for Gaborik. Picks or players, they are all assets. In this case, we just skipped past the majority of the development stage. If we got 3 NHL players with two 2nds and a 3rd, that would be a great draft no matter what else we did.

Leetch66 04-04-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parker McDonald (Post 63272581)
I thought it was him, but every time I try researching it I'm never able to find anything.

Damn.

Try this Link...scroll to the bottom ... http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/ar.../t-767250.html

GWOW 04-04-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parker McDonald (Post 63265981)
Anyone know who Quebec selected with out first round pick after the trade for Michel Bergeron (head coach)?

Daniel Dore....a d-man whose a scout now


Rangers would have taken Roenick, Selanne or Brind with that pick. Im convinced.

GWOW 04-04-2013 10:04 PM

It wasnt Sakic.

The pick was in 1988, not 1987. The Rangers kept their pick in 1987 and took More.

In 1988, the Rangers and Nords both missed the playoffs. Nords took Leschyscyn or with the 3rd pick, and took Dore with the 5th pick.

16 of 21 teams made the playoffs. 5 didnt. One from the 5-team Smythe, Norris and Adams and two from the Patrick.

GWOW 04-04-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leetch66 (Post 63307613)
Try this Link...scroll to the bottom ... http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/ar.../t-767250.html

LOL....three years ago and I posted on an obscure thread that somehow resurfaces.

GWOW 04-04-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 63269641)
I see what you're trying to do here and I think it's oversimplified and flawed for a couple of reasons:

1) You can't judge the value of a Ranger draft pick based on other team's talent evaluation.

2) Going five or even ten picks passed the player who was selected isn't really telling. Again, it comes down to talent evaluation. Take the Panther's second #1 pick in the 2003 draft (25 overall), Anthony Stewart. The five picks after Stewart were (Boyle, Tambellini, Perry, Eaves and Belle). But taken 9 picks later was Loui Erikkson and taken 20 picks later was Patrice Bergeron. Those players were available when Florida had there second first round pick. Does that make the pick less valuable because they didn't pick one of those other guys? Or did they just make a bad pick based on Florida's own scouts and draft board? A better question is if they had drafted Erikkson or Bergeron would that have made the pick more valuable?

3) A value of a draft pick is not solely based on who is selected. Picks can be used to move up in a draft if there's a player you really want (Rangers for Staal, for instance).

4) Obviously, more picks won't make it than will.

So, yes, looking at picks in a vacuum and with the benefit of hindsight will make them appear less valuable. And in a salary cap world, they become even more valuable as teams need to be able to reach into their farm systems for cheap, young, and controllable talent.


Sather doesnt like to hoard picks with a competitve team. Outside of Staal, he rarely trades multiple picks to move up.

He's been GM here for well over a decade and he's done a good job. You'd think people would just suck it up and not only accept who he is, but accept the way he does business.

So bottom line -- when Sather acquires draft picks, dont expect him to keep them. It helps makes sense of things come trade/draft day.

Punxrocknyc19* 04-05-2013 11:03 PM

wasnt a Rangers draft pick but Petr Nedved is still playing...


Liberec Bili Tygri HC Czech 48 games 20 goals 33 assist 53 pts 151 PIM

when did he get a mean streak... http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=3927

RangerFan10 04-06-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy (Post 63263541)
Honestly, with most of these selections you could go out another 5-10 picks and not really find anything.

I didn't take the time to look at all the picks, but I agree. Was just thinking there's more to it than just who was selected.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.