HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Toronto/Detroit proposal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=13952)

Mizral 09-24-2003 10:14 AM

Toronto/Detroit proposal
 
This will no doubt get some interesting reactions. However, it makes a lot of sense:

To Detroit: Nikolai Antropov (settle down, Leaf fans, bear with me here) & Aki Berg

To Toronto: Jiri Fischer (settle down, Wings fans, bear with me here) & Matthew Dandenault

Antropov clearly solves the 2nd line centre issue in Detroit, for now and the future. Berg seems like the sort of player who could use a ticket out of Toronto. He could learn a lot from his countryman, Lidstrom. Lots of untapped potential in Berg that perhaps he could find on a winning squad in Detroit.

Toronto really shores up their blueline big time here. Fischer is a very, very big, steady blueliner who could very be paired up with just about any defenseman up or down the roster. Dandenault is an extremely smart veteran defenseman with puck moving ability (which outside of Kaberle, I feel the Leafs lack.. a smart puck mover).

A bit of risk for each team, but I feel this kind of move turns the Leafs back into contenders for Lord Stanley's Mug, and Detroit, stronger again. The main issue here is, I would say, that the Leafs and Wings, while not division or even conference rivals, seem to be rivals anyways.

Dar 09-24-2003 10:16 AM

Uhm...Berg's Finnish. ;)

Other than that, interesting thought, two untouchables being traded for each other.

Mizral 09-24-2003 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dar
Uhm...Berg's Finnish. ;)

Other than that, interesting thought, two untouchables being traded for each other.

Damn! Okay, I was close. Still, I think Berg plays a lot like a really, really bad Lidstrom.. they seem to have similar attributes. The Wings have had good history in being able to squeeze things out of players, and Berg has a ton of potential, even though he's 25 or so.

Howard35 09-24-2003 10:34 AM

no thanks.... fischer is awesome, and soon we are gonna need him more then we will need antropov, we can always try drafting a PF

ACC1224 09-24-2003 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zetterberg40
no thanks.... fischer is awesome, and soon we are gonna need him more then we will need antropov, we can always try drafting a PF

I'd agree...I can't see Detroit wanting to do this...I'd love for the Leafs to do this, although I also see Aki's potential and would be hesitant to give up on him yet.

Ajacied 09-24-2003 10:48 AM

Thought about posting a simular deal a well.. so I like it..

Vatican Roulette 09-24-2003 10:49 AM

fair enough, although i personally think Antropov isn't that great. Going on the general idea of each player i guess its ok.


Berg sucks though, take him out and make it a 3rd.

think-blue- 09-24-2003 11:00 AM

1. I think the general base (Antropov for Fischer) was proposed before, and from what I recall, the consensus was that removing either Fischer or Antropov from either lineup would create a hole in the rosters, although with the acquisitions of Hatch and Nieuwy respectively, its moreso for the future than now. (If Jarkko Immonen turns out as well as he played in camp this year, we might revisit this in the future)

2. General value is fair, not debating that. Both Fischer and Nik have history of knee problems, not sure if there is/should be a major concern with the injuries then. Id still like to give Berg one more year before writing him off as a #5-6 guy for the rest of his career. Id hate to lose him so he can 'break out' on another team.

3. No nik for you. :)

Pinto 09-24-2003 11:19 AM

Quote:

No nik for you. :)
LMFAO!, it just came out so casualy :D

caber24 09-24-2003 12:29 PM

Thats a tough one considering how many young defenceman we have ready to prove their worth. However, none are the type that Fischer is and considering the fact that I hate Aki Berg and am getting sick of Antropov being constantly injured, I would make that deal.

West Coast Express 09-24-2003 12:58 PM

i think i'm missing something... but what's so great about Jiri Fischer?

my question also goes for Aki Berg.

garry1221 09-24-2003 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurupt
Why does everyone over rate this Fischer kid ?

why in your opinion do you think he's overrated, could it be you that's underrating him?

X8oD 09-24-2003 02:28 PM

when did Detroit Have a 2nd line Center Issue?

they have plenty of 2nd line centers. they need a first line center.

monkey_00* 09-24-2003 02:31 PM

I'm a Leafer...........The guy I want from Detroit is Chris Chelios.

monkey_00* 09-24-2003 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caber24
Thats a tough one considering how many young defenceman we have ready to prove their worth. However, none are the type that Fischer is and considering the fact that I hate Aki Berg and am getting sick of Antropov being constantly injured, I would make that deal.

Exactly that's why I don't think that deal makes any sense at all.......we already have plenty of great YOUNG defencemen in Toronto.........we don't need anymore of those.............what we need is a STUD on our blueline with plenty of NHL experience.

monkey_00* 09-24-2003 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Coast Express
i think i'm missing something... but what's so great about Jiri Fischer?

my question also goes for Aki Berg.

I agree...........Fischer and Berg trading places?........you may as well trade each other's bags of hockey pucks.........

Here's what I think...........

Leafs should keep Antropov........and trade to Detroit instead Darcy Tucker....he'd fit in really well on the same line with Draper and McCarty..........we can even throw in Aki Berg in the deal.........in return Toronto gets Chris Chelios........Detroit can afford to give him up cause they already have guys like Lidstrom, Hatcher and Schneider.........oh ya...and Fischer too.........the Leafs would be picking up a great NHL defenceman with plenty of Stanley Cup winning experience PLUS he would be great to have on our team with the wealth of young D-men we have coming up through the ranks.

Bear57 09-24-2003 04:15 PM

Why does everyone over rate this Antropov kid ?

Mizral 09-24-2003 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Coast Express
i think i'm missing something... but what's so great about Jiri Fischer?

my question also goes for Aki Berg.

Fischer is young, 6'6 tall, and mobile. He is a mean defenseman who will never put up 40 points, but will be able to handle the big guys of the NHL. I liken him to a young Mike Rathje. He's okay, but he'll never be a high profile guy.

Antropov I'd say has similar value, however as team need goes, it's Fischer who would solve the Buds issues moreso than Antropov. Down the centre, Sundin is still locked up for years, and while Nieuwendyk is gone next season, they have young forwards in Steen & Doherty who can be the future of the club. Nolan is also around for awhile longer, and he along with Tucker should be able to provide enough physical pop to the Leafs top 6 to soften the blow of losing big Nik.

Dandy for Berg is a clear win for Toronto, I'd say. Berg isn't as bad as some say, but Dandy is just much better, and much smarter overall. He's the kind of guy who is great to play with young guys, and I think he'd make a great partner for Carlo Colaiacovo down the line.

Coffey77 09-24-2003 05:13 PM

It's a nice offer but I'm not sure either team would do it.

After Fischer the only good d-man prospect is Kronvall. The Wings have some nice forward prospects but they are small. However, they are still better than the D-man prospects.

Leafs could use Fischer but they have some good D-prospects like Cola, Bell and Kondratiev. But their forwards are getting kind of old and need replacing. That's where Antropov fits in. Plus the Leafs finally have the great center depth in Antropov, Sundin and Nieuwendyk. If I were the Leafs, I would keep all 3 guys. Having all 3 guys would create 3 scoring lines and matchup problems for other teams.

If the Leafs need D help (and they do :D ), go and sign someone like Ken Klee.

DutchLeafsfan 09-25-2003 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizral
Fischer is young, 6'6 tall, and mobile. He is a mean defenseman who will never put up 40 points, but will be able to handle the big guys of the NHL. I liken him to a young Mike Rathje. He's okay, but he'll never be a high profile guy.

Antropov I'd say has similar value, however as team need goes, it's Fischer who would solve the Buds issues moreso than Antropov. Down the centre, Sundin is still locked up for years, and while Nieuwendyk is gone next season, they have young forwards in Steen & Doherty who can be the future of the club. Nolan is also around for awhile longer, and he along with Tucker should be able to provide enough physical pop to the Leafs top 6 to soften the blow of losing big Nik.

Dandy for Berg is a clear win for Toronto, I'd say. Berg isn't as bad as some say, but Dandy is just much better, and much smarter overall. He's the kind of guy who is great to play with young guys, and I think he'd make a great partner for Carlo Colaiacovo down the line.

Since I personally do nto see the Leafs win the Stanley Cup this year, this deal makes no sense to me. The Leafs have plenty of good defensive prospects coming up the next few seasons, whereas they are rather bare at forward position. Trading Antropov doesn't make any since from that point of view.

BTW Mizral, Doherty is a Defenseman ;)

p.l.f. 09-25-2003 07:39 AM

no way in hell the leafs do this

the leafs have enough young defensemen for the future.

what they want is a good vet defenseman for just the 1 yr. who can help now.

Motown Beatdown 09-25-2003 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p.l.f.
no way in hell the leafs do this

the leafs have enough young defensemen for the future.

what they want is a good vet defenseman for just the 1 yr. who can help now.



How about Schneider? he's signed for one more year. Around 3 million a year. And with Kronwall looking very good, the Wings just might want to have him on the roster. A little tutoring from Lidstrom wouldn't hurt either. :yo:
But with Schneider the Wings will ask for more than his worth. They'll have to try an make up for the loss they got when they traded for him.

Then their is Jason Woolley, who is signed for two year. Both years for less than a million dollars.

Dar 09-25-2003 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWI19
How about Schneider? he's signed for one more year. Around 3 million a year.

I'd like Schneider back. Not at the cost of Antropov though.

McFly 09-25-2003 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey_00
I'm a Leafer...........The guy I want from Detroit is Chris Chelios.

I think the last thing most ppl want is ANOTHER aging veteran like Chelios on the Leafs. We are already too old. I don't think he'd be the right choice but he would help.

caber24 09-25-2003 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p.l.f.
no way in hell the leafs do this

the leafs have enough young defensemen for the future.

what they want is a good vet defenseman for just the 1 yr. who can help now.

sure we have alot of good young defenceman, but none of them are similar to fischer..... but then again, we don't have many players similar to nik either.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.