HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Calgary Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Mackinnon or Jones? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1395223)

Thumper17 04-04-2013 01:22 AM

Mackinnon or Jones?

I thought it was an academic point. To use Feasters words, that the potential Franchise Centerman was THE No.1 priority of any NHL team going into the draft.

Why do so many people favour the potential Franchise D-man?? Short of the second coming of Bobby Orr, you go with the center 10/10. Right?

So who do you think we need to go for? Why?

Backlund 04-04-2013 01:31 AM

Center. It's been too long, if Feaster doesn't draft a center with our top 5 pick I'll lose it. There's good defensemen we can draft with our other first(s).

tmurfin 04-04-2013 01:42 AM

Like I said in the draft thread, I don't take the D for before the C.

tfong 04-04-2013 01:43 AM

I chose Big Mac.

The reason is that no #1 overall defenseman has ever single handily led their team to a cup. But the reverse is true where a #1 center has the ability to do so.

SaintMorose 04-04-2013 01:51 AM

you gotta compare the players and that gets more weight than the position. Jones is dominate physically and with a good coach he'll be a superstar

JurassicTunga 04-04-2013 01:55 AM

MacKinnon. We need a center for once.

Calculon 04-04-2013 02:42 AM

Mackinnon. Not only am I wary over picking a defensemen over a centre given the closeness in ability and projection, but the recent defensemen to come out of the US system haven't been all that impressive. Zach Bogosion, Erik Johnson, and Jack Johnson have all been pretty mediocre relative to draft position. MacKinnon gives the team a good foundation going forward with him, Backlund and possibly Jankowski.

Ideally, the Flames could pick MacKinnon with their own pick, and then package the other two picks along with something else to get into the top ten and snag one of the other highly regarded defensemen.

Puppage403 04-04-2013 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calculon (Post 63260509)
Mackinnon. Not only am I wary over picking a defensemen over a centre given the closeness in ability and projection, but the recent defensemen to come out of the US system haven't been all that impressive. Zach Bogosion, Erik Johnson, and Jack Johnson have all been pretty mediocre relative to draft position. MacKinnon gives the team a good foundation going forward with him, Backlund and possibly Jankowski.

Ideally, the Flames could pick MacKinnon with their own pick, and then package the other two picks along with something else to get into the top ten and snag one of the other highly regarded defensemen.

This.

But please don't jinx our beautiful downfall :D

WhereIsIt 04-04-2013 02:53 AM

We cannot draft positionally if we get first overall. Just because we haven't had a star centre to play with Iginla is no excuse not to pick the better player (Seth Jones or perhaps even Drouin), especially now that Iginla is gone.

Honestly I have Drouin over MacKinnon. MacKinnon may very well be a star centre in the NHL one day but I don't think he's necessarily a sure thing to dominate in the NHL, from what I've seen. A fantastic prospect ceratinly, but not good enough to warrant picking him ahead of Jones or Drouin because are organization has struggled at centre in the past.

If Jones and Drouin didn't become top players in the league, however, I'd be shocked.

goodsauce 04-04-2013 02:54 AM

I went with other just to be that guy. I think that Drouin is sick. But also in the chance we pick 3 and up, and both Jones and MacK are off the table, I think Drouin is a damn good consolation prize.

Also, do we package the other 1sts we have and move up, or take 2 lower 'spects?

Double Dion 04-04-2013 04:13 AM

Barkov please! Acquire a pick for moving from 3rd to 4th assuming draft position stays the same. Any of the top 4 is fine with me though. I think Drouin is the one I least prefer since we already have Bartschi and Gaudreau as smaller/tiny wingers. I'd love a big man down the middle, especially one with loads of skill.

Gary83* 04-04-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double Dion (Post 63262047)
Barkov please! Acquire a pick for moving from 3rd to 4th assuming draft position stays the same. Any of the top 4 is fine with me though. I think Drouin is the one I least prefer since we already have Bartschi and Gaudreau as smaller/tiny wingers. I'd love a big man down the middle, especially one with loads of skill.

Pretty much my thoughts. If Jankowski does pan out it would be nice to start with two big, skilled C's down the middle.

tyflames 04-04-2013 07:42 AM

I want Drouin. They guy has pretty close to a 2 point per game in the CHL. He outplayed Mackinnon on team Canada.
I also didn't choose jones because my belief is he will be first overall and I think we will have the 2nd or 3rd overall selection.

LukeD 04-04-2013 07:46 AM

MacKinnon. I reaaaaally want a tough, physical centre.

Erka 04-04-2013 09:12 AM

I like Seth Jones better but I think Flames needs Mackinnon more.

The Hendog 04-04-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfong (Post 63257935)
I chose Big Mac.

The reason is that no #1 overall defenseman has ever single handily led their team to a cup. But the reverse is true where a #1 center has the ability to do so.

I would say Pronger almost single handily lead a fairly average Oilers team to the Stanley Cup. I am not trying to compare Pronger to Seth here but if the Flames do end up with the 1st overall pick, they will have a tough decision.

TylerSVT* 04-04-2013 10:13 AM

Drouin for me. Jones second. Mack 3rd, Barkov 4th, Monohan 5th, Nicushkin 6th.

InfinityIggy 04-04-2013 10:14 AM

Jones is Johnson V2. I hope we take MacKinnon or Barkov.

TylerSVT* 04-04-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfinityIggy (Post 63268745)
Jones is Johnson V2. I hope we take MacKinnon or Barkov.

EJ would probably be excellent had he not been injured 24/7.

Jones is the best talent on the ice, when he is out there... you ALWAYS notice him.

I think this team takes a forward, but Jones is the BPA.

Sean Monahan 04-04-2013 10:44 AM

You can build a team with either, but the fact that we don't have any capable centers going into next year makes me think that we'll take Mack.

This guy is fast, gritty, strong along the walls, and a good leader.

I'm almost afraid we take jones since he needs more time and the flames will screw up his development

Wags 04-04-2013 10:57 AM

Barkov please. A big center with good hands is rare.

That being said, I wouldn't be upset with any of the top 4.

saillias 04-04-2013 11:02 AM

Mackinnon is probably the guy I want the least... Would rather have Drouin, Jones or Barkov

Signature 04-04-2013 11:08 AM

I'm kind of happy that we have Feaster around for a draft like this.
I know he basically picked the BPA/consensus number 1 for Tampa in Stamkos, which isn't hard.

But one has to think that there's a certain experience you need in drafting in top 3 or top 5 positions, and colluding with other GMs to find out where everyone sits in terms of what their organization needs most, etc.

Could be interesting, for all the things Feaster has been ripped on, he actually has some experience here.

tfong 04-04-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Hendog (Post 63267271)
I would say Pronger almost single handily lead a fairly average Oilers team to the Stanley Cup. I am not trying to compare Pronger to Seth here but if the Flames do end up with the 1st overall pick, they will have a tough decision.

Right but pronger was never a first overall pick or nor drafted by the oils.

Basically first overall pick dmen don't carry their teams to cup wins is what I mean.

Sean Monahan 04-04-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfong (Post 63274307)
Right but pronger was never a first overall pick or nor drafted by the oils.

Basically first overall pick dmen don't carry their teams to cup wins is what I mean.

Wasn't he 2nd overall though....?

Edit: yup