HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Calgary Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Murray Edwards tells Feaster he expects playoffs next season (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1395251)

goodsauce 04-04-2013 01:09 AM

Murray Edwards tells Feaster he expects playoffs next season

Everything you need to know is in the title. Ownership expects playoffs in 2014.

...... Kind of odd timing after trading away our top F and D, and our 'tender is retiring at season's end.

What Edwards said puts the picks we got in jeopardy IMO. Feaster will panic for the sake of his job and use picks to pick up some roster players.

Anyways, discuss away.

Also apologies if there is already a thread for this. I didn't really look that hard.

herashak 04-04-2013 01:14 AM

im expecting eric francis to rip on edwards in the paper. dont like francis but he does understand that rushing this rebuild is a bad thing.

tmurfin 04-04-2013 01:27 AM

Feaster clarified that they weren't exactly expecting playoffs, it was more ownership relaying to him that it is never ok to expect less than success.. That its not ok to make excuses and "tank"/give up.

Also, he made it clear this wont stop the re*****(bad word in these parts) and we won't be bringing in any players past their prime. He made it clear we want to be young, fast and skilled without building a losing atmosphere.. If that's possible is another story

goodsauce 04-04-2013 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmurfin (Post 63259963)
Feaster clarified that they weren't exactly expecting playoffs, it was more ownership relaying to him that it is never ok to expect less than success.. That its not ok to make excuses and "tank"/give up.

Also, he made it clear this wont stop the re*****(bad word in these parts) and we won't be bringing in any players past their prime. He made it clear we want to be young, fast and skilled without building a losing atmosphere.. If that's possible is another story

That's kind of a relief. I just pictured Edwards storming into Feaster's office and screaming at him and that playoffs or else kind of thing. Well glad you put this to bed murf haha.

/thread

Mike Jones 04-04-2013 07:27 AM

In one interview I saw with Feaster the wording was pretty clear and given what ownership has previously said about rebuilds I can see it happening. I don't think ownership "stormed" into anyone's office demanding it but I can see it being said in a meeting where future goals and expectations are discussed.

It's always a given in rebuilds that players and management work hard to keep things competitive but the process is what it is. Fames' fans seem smart enough to know that players aren't going to slack off and drift while the rebuild happens. At least I didn't see that happen with teams like the Wings and Oilers. I remember Tom Renney, for example, really pushing his players hard during some pretty trying times.

Ownership would do well to tear a page out of Mike Illitch's book (It's actually Jimmy Devellano's - Flames' ownership should read it) and show more support for work that has to be done and give people the time they need to do their jobs.

Demanding that teams make the playoffs before they're ready (With the current state of the Flames 2015 may be the more reasonable goal for making the playoffs) is just asking for trouble.

MarkGio 04-04-2013 08:15 AM

Edwards is right to expect success. Im sure Edwards is a reasonable man and watches the odd hockey game and TSN analysis or article about the Flames. Edwards didn't get where he's at because he's dumb. Feadter needs to actively try to build a better club. So unlike the Oilers the Flames should have not depend on poor records as a handicap to gaining quality assets.

Mike Jones 04-04-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkGio (Post 63266221)
Edwards is right to expect success. Im sure Edwards is a reasonable man and watches the odd hockey game and TSN analysis or article about the Flames. Edwards didn't get where he's at because he's dumb. Feadter needs to actively try to build a better club. So unlike the Oilers the Flames should have not depend on poor records as a handicap to gaining quality assets.

And as we saw last night we all know how badly the Oilers turned out.

Edwards has a right to expect success but there is such a thing as having reasonable expectations of people who work for you. Illitch wanted his team to make the playoffs and was angry and frustrated when they didn't go as far as he wanted in those early years but he still supported his people and what they were doing. He still went out and tried to help them (He's the one who pushed his GM to sign something like five or six NCAA free agents one offseason) with their jobs.

Edwards would be wise to push his people but he would also be wise to be more realistic when it comes to things like time lines and letting people do their jobs. I have questions about Feaster's ability to do his job but he hardly strikes me as the type to slack off and let the team to hit cruise control as it goes forward.

Tim Murray 04-04-2013 08:47 AM

Hi, as the fake GM of the Buffalo Sabres I'd like to take advantage of your ownership's wishes and see what you'd want for your 1st in 2013.

To make the playoffs next year you're going to need goaltending, so how about Ryan Miller to start? What else do I have to add? I'm going to need to "win" this trade, so please keep that in mind when formulating your offers. Thanks.

Gary83* 04-04-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mogilny 89 (Post 63267439)
Hi, as the fake GM of the Buffalo Sabres I'd like to take advantage of your ownership's wishes and see what you'd want for your 1st in 2013.

To make the playoffs next year you're going to need goaltending, so how about Ryan Miller to start? What else do I have to add? I'm going to need to "win" this trade, so please keep that in mind when formulating your offers. Thanks.

First for Ville Leino.

Truly believe he is one of the best contracts in the entire NHL.

TylerSVT* 04-04-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mogilny 89 (Post 63267439)

Vanek, Grigorenko, Girgensons and a 2nd.

Gabriel6676 04-04-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmurfin (Post 63259963)

Tis is exactly what Burke was trying to do with the Leafs.

Paraphrased Quote from TSN panel further to a discussion about the directive from the owner - Calgary is a mess, and they should have known two years ago it was a mess and that they didn't know means they need to clean the window.

Well this directive from the owner means to me that more than a window cleaning is needed. A labotomy appears to be in order.

Sean Monahan 04-04-2013 09:35 AM

Seems like an ultimatum to Feaster more than anything

Fleury14 04-04-2013 09:47 AM

I was wondering if all this cap space we were adding up was only going to be used on more "Wideman-like" signings in the summer. I guess so.

Sean Monahan 04-04-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fleury14 (Post 63270473)
I was wondering if all this cap space we were adding up was only going to be used on more "Wideman-like" signings in the summer. I guess so.

Meh, it enables us to take cap on some players teams might not want to give up but have to due to the cap next year. And hopefully Feaster sticks to his words about getting younger with his trades

Tim Murray 04-04-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TylerSVT (Post 63268735)
Vanek, Grigorenko, Girgensons and a 2nd.

Not interested, I don't win then. I have loads of 2nds, so how about:

Miller
Stafford
2nd 2013
2nd 2014

for

Calgary 1st 2013

You'll be competing for the playoffs next year. That 1st won't help you do that. You need a goalie to do that.

Lunmunch 04-04-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mogilny 89 (Post 63271111)

Miller
Stafford
2nd 2013
2nd 2014

for

Calgary 1st 2013

You'll be competing for the playoffs next year. That 1st won't help you do that. You need a goalie to do that.

I like this. However I want a guy we can call our "guy" like drouin, jones or MacKinnon

Tim Murray 04-04-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunmunch (Post 63271273)
I like this. However I want a guy we can call our "guy" like drouin, jones or MacKinnon

I get that, and for the record I don't think the Flames should do this deal either.

But given ownership demands, how else can making the playoffs be accomplished without selling off major futures?

Given the Flames and Sabres have dealt twice in the recent past, and we happen to have a top notch goalie that might be moved, and you happen to need one, I could see a deal here.

Volica 04-04-2013 10:16 AM

I'm happy he clarified this in game, because after the presser yesterday, I was all kinds of... oh my ****ing Christ... Please don't dump millions into useless free agents...

I think it's fair to not want to be a bottom feeders for years, Edmonton style; I mean, I would hate being dead last for three years. While you pick up some really talented kids; it hurts watching Flames games. Like, last night I luckily stopped watching after the first LOL.

I like how we're no longer doing the old boys club; that'll help going forward.

Mike Jones 04-04-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla (Post 63269787)
Seems like an ultimatum to Feaster more than anything

I agree but that can still lead to serious trouble.

Mike Jones 04-04-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabriel6676 (Post 63269103)
A labotomy appears to be in order.

I thought I was harsh.

But you are right - something has to happen at the top. I'd like to suggest an ownership change but that can be a dangerous wish as well.

TheHudlinator 04-04-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Miller
Stafford
2nd 2013
2nd 2014

for

Calgary 1st 2013

Don't want Miller, our defense is worse than Buffalo's and Miller has a hard time getting Buffalo to win. Edwards is a moron, Feaster tried to spin this to a positive but what we will most likely see is the team bring in a center (wiess) and a RW (Horton or Ryder) and try to load up on offense and play run and gun. We will use this draft to try and draft the next core while trying to you this mish mash core to make the playoffs.

Stewie Griffin 04-04-2013 03:16 PM

I see this as a statement that "losing is not acceptable"

Nothing more.

Mike Jones 04-04-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin (Post 63291475)
I see this as a statement that "losing is not acceptable"

Well, for the next couple of years anyway Edwards had better get used to it. I can't see things turning around as quickly as he would like.

What he should be saying is that "Cruising" or "coasting" is not acceptable regardless of where the team is at in its rebuild. The Edmonton coaches used to talk about this as well. The message you have to send during a rebuild is that people are still expected to work and play hard because that kind of character development is also needed when building a winner.

Flames92 04-04-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herashak (Post 63259491)
im expecting eric francis to rip on edwards in the paper. dont like francis but he does understand that rushing this rebuild is a bad thing.

Didn't take too long:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/04/03...oal-delusional

TylerSVT* 04-04-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Miller
Stafford
2nd 2013
2nd 2014

for

Calgary 1st 2013

No thanks.

Would you take 2 seconds and Kipper for your 1st round pick this year?