HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Brian Gionta at the Draft (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1395363)

angry pirate 04-04-2013 08:33 AM

Brian Gionta at the Draft
 
Not that I neccessarily agree with the analysis, considering we'll have about 9 Million in cap space after a Kaberle Buyout, but I heard someone on TSN in the past 48 hours speculate that Montreal would try to clear some additional cap space this summer, and that Gionta could be on his way out.

What would Montreal get back at the draft for Gionta? A couple of scenerio's I could see in play:

Gionta and a 2nd to move into the 1st round?

Gionta and one of our 2nd's to a team who traded a lot of picks (ie. LA/NYR/Pitts) for.....

I doubt we want to move Gionta for more picks as we already have 6 in the first 3 rounds although MB could be interested in some 2014 picks.

IceDaddy 04-04-2013 09:01 AM

He has a NTC and to be honest he isnt worth his salary.

He wont be moved

AfroThunder396 04-04-2013 09:05 AM

With the draft being in New Jersey, the building would erupt if Lou brought back Gio to play with his brother.

SeriousHabs 04-04-2013 09:08 AM

Let's see how he performs in the playoffs. Bergevin is all about heart and soul guys, and that is what Gionta is.

Tundra 04-04-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 (Post 63268253)
With the draft being in New Jersey, the building would erupt if Lou brought back Gio to play with his brother.

But for what price?????? I'd rather look for players under 30 as opposed to retreads.

Blind Gardien 04-04-2013 09:21 AM

There's no point in moving Gionta for the Habs. He's a good player, even if he's a little overpaid, but a good ambassador for the team and good worker. There is nothing else to spend his cap hit on, the Habs will just keep him. Paying a guy $1M or so more than he probably "deserves" is no big deal. It's when it gets to the multiple millions like Gomez and Kaberle that you get a problem. Gionta is nowhere near that level. There's simply nothing to be gained by moving him, nowhere to spend his money more effectively.

Hugo Sham 04-04-2013 09:38 AM

at this point there's no reason to move him as he's still good for 25-28 goals and signed for another year. If he is moved, at the draft he's probably worth a 2nd...

if he gets dealt at next deadline, a desperate team may deal a late 1st for him

Habsrback 04-04-2013 12:10 PM

MB will not trade him just for the sake of trading. It is just that with Gallagher, we have a younger and a little bigger version of Gionta, on and off the ice. There are a few prospects that we need to make room for, and it is not likely that we would resign Gionta next year.

Given the crazy prices for some players who are just one notch higher than Gionta, a 2nd is a no-brainer. He is a little overpaid but that is only for one season. How many 25 goal scorers with leadership are there available for a 2nd?

I agree that with timing and momentum we can even fetch a late 1st from a GM desperately trying to save his job and make his team squeak into the playoffs.

Mr Atoz* 04-04-2013 04:47 PM

My prediction is that on draft day he'll still be short.

Mrb1p 04-04-2013 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 (Post 63268253)
With the draft being in New Jersey, the building would erupt if Lou brought back Gio to play with his brother.

It'll erupt in anger ? Atleast I hope so.

Gionta get's you a second and a late round pick at the draft day? I hope so.

Greenstickytoes* 04-05-2013 03:40 AM

i would definitely try and trade Gionta at draft day. even for a late 2nd i would.
it would free up some cap space and we would be able to bring up Kristo to
replace him. If not Kristo they could bring another youngster like Leblanc or Bournival.
if Bourque gets injured again.

BrimStone64 04-05-2013 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angry pirate (Post 63266903)
Not that I neccessarily agree with the analysis, considering we'll have about 9 Million in cap space after a Kaberle Buyout, but I heard someone on TSN in the past 48 hours speculate that Montreal would try to clear some additional cap space this summer, and that Gionta could be on his way out.

What would Montreal get back at the draft for Gionta? A couple of scenerio's I could see in play:

Gionta and a 2nd to move into the 1st round?

Gionta and one of our 2nd's to a team who traded a lot of picks (ie. LA/NYR/Pitts) for.....

I doubt we want to move Gionta for more picks as we already have 6 in the first 3 rounds although MB could be interested in some 2014 picks.

I think they will keep Gionta and deal a center. Moving Galchenyuk to center.

BLNY 04-05-2013 06:02 AM

Gionta doesn't have a NTC/NMC.

http://www.capgeek.com/player/777

While I'm not a fan of trading the captain, if there's a sound offer out there I'd consider it.

MXD 04-05-2013 06:03 AM

I think it's definitely a possibility. Especially if they want to bring back Ryder.

That would likely mean Galchenyuk remains a winger for the next season though.

Captain Saku 04-05-2013 06:25 AM

I think Gionta would waive his NTC for NJ only. I dont mind him staying tbh, he's a good player and a true professional. A lil overpaid yes but it's only 1 year left on his contract. Beside, I dont see anyone on the team replacing him as a captain, and plz no Gorges I never liked a role player as a captain.

Mrb1p 04-05-2013 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MXD (Post 63348837)
I think it's definitely a possibility. Especially if they want to bring back Ryder.

That would likely mean Galchenyuk remains a winger for the next season though.

Not necessarily. DD can be moved to the wing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Saku (Post 63349115)
I think Gionta would waive his NTC for NJ only. I dont mind him staying tbh, he's a good player and a true professional. A lil overpaid yes but it's only 1 year left on his contract. Beside, I dont see anyone on the team replacing him as a captain, and plz no Gorges I never liked a role player as a captain.

What about our best player year in and out since 07?

Boris Le Tigre 04-05-2013 06:32 AM

Please NO. Gionta has been great. Has stayed healthy, scoring a bit, playing hard two way hockey, and just generally inspiring with his smurfiness.

Drydenwasthebest 04-05-2013 10:54 AM

There is no reason to trade Gionta for a 2nd or worse. He is a 24-28 goal scoring forward who is pure heart and soul. He has leadership abilities that we desperately need. A team of rookies is not going to win too many Cups, just ask Edmonton. You need a good blend of young players, rookies, and veterans. We should keep Gionta unless we are blown away by an offer. A 2nd doesn't blow anyone away, and there is nobody in FA we can spend his salary on.

Flair Hay 04-05-2013 11:04 AM

Jets would take Gionta in a cap dump scenario I'm sure. Would want no part of the 1st for Gionta + 2nd but if they need to clear him out to make salary room we could accommodate for cheap.

Robert Theodorson 04-05-2013 11:08 AM

He can come back to NJ if he signs an adendum to his contract saying he won't grow that rediculous mustache.

Ghetto Sangria 04-05-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhay1987 (Post 63358655)
Jets would take Gionta in a cap dump scenario I'm sure. Would want no part of the 1st for Gionta + 2nd but if they need to clear him out to make salary room we could accommodate for cheap.

That's the thing though... the habs won't have any cap issues next season with gio still on the pay role. Not only that, but Gio is still a 25 goal scoring vet who can play at both ends. Not worth his contract, but by all means he is a valuable top 9 complimentary guy.

No reason for the habs to move him for futures when they are playing like a possible contender now, with him as captain.

People wanting to trade Gio for futures just don't like the fact that the habs have 3 tiny players in the top 6. But if Gio were gone and were replaced with futures, the team would suffer in the short term (pardon the pun).

Mrb1p 04-05-2013 03:52 PM

We have kids coming in, its time to move on.

We have guys like Patches, Ryder, DD, Plek, Prust, Moen, Bourque who all have pretty good experience up front.

We have two rookies this year and next year we will need to make a place for one of Kristo, Leblanc, Bournival...

McTusk 04-05-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrb1p (Post 63349163)
What about our best player year in and out since 07?

Tommy P? He's a lead by example type for sure, could see it not affecting him. Just not the sexy pick is all.

Mrb1p 04-05-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tusk (Post 63373331)
Tommy P? He's a lead by example type for sure, could see it not affecting him. Just not the sexy pick is all.

He should've got right when Koivu left.

Devils Trap 04-05-2013 04:49 PM

Building would errupt in NJ if Gionta came back. Still a fan favorite and obvious connections to the team past and present


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.