HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Goalies: First time on the ice (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1396621)

DeYarmond Edison 04-05-2013 01:37 PM

First time on the ice
 
I'm playing drop-in tonight as goaltender and was wondering if there's any basic tips? The last time I played hockey on the ice I was 6 years old and i got pulled out due to expenses. I've been playing roller all my life though.

If I'm a pretty good keeper on a roller rink, is it difficult to transfer those skills over to ice? Thanks in advance.

AwesomeMatthews 04-05-2013 01:42 PM

Never underestimate the importance of staying square to the puck. Remember, the puck has to beat you - not the other way around. Follow the player's stick blade when he has the puck to make sure you're not just saying square to the shooter.

Most importantly - you're not gonna get a shutout in drop-in. Dominik Hasek probably wouldn't. Just have fun with it, that alone will make you play much better than if you're overthinking.

Hank4Hart 04-05-2013 02:21 PM

make sure your gear is good enough for a flying puck

DeYarmond Edison 04-05-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo2626 (Post 63366479)
Never underestimate the importance of staying square to the puck. Remember, the puck has to beat you - not the other way around. Follow the player's stick blade when he has the puck to make sure you're not just saying square to the shooter.

Most importantly - you're not gonna get a shutout in drop-in. Dominik Hasek probably wouldn't. Just have fun with it, that alone will make you play much better than if you're overthinking.

Yeah I think I'm over thinking it a bit. I do want to start playing adult league or something and after actually watching them I don't think I'll do too bad. Some of them aren't very good. :laugh:

Beezeral 04-05-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeYarmond Edison (Post 63369359)
Yeah I think I'm over thinking it a bit. I do want to start playing adult league or something and after actually watching them I don't think I'll do too bad. Some of them aren't very good. :laugh:

It's going to take you about 10 sessions on the ice to get used to it, but you will be fine in the long run.

Chest Infected 04-05-2013 04:12 PM

Keep your wits about you there's always a guy or two that are real disrespectful of the goalie in warmups. Shooting for mask and unprotected spots. Pick those guys out and keep an eye on em. Other than that stay square to the puck and make sure you limber up good before hand.

Bear of Bad News 04-05-2013 04:17 PM

My "rules of goaltending" apply to both roller and ice, but whenever I switch from one to the other after a prolonged absence, I like to consult them again:

https://www.hockeygoalies.org/advice/rule1.html

Hope they help!

pelts35.com 04-05-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank4Hart (Post 63368473)
make sure your gear is good enough for a flying puck

This

cbjbluejackets61 04-05-2013 06:27 PM

as i am typing this, i literally have just gotten back from my first time ever wearing goalie pads on the ice and got thrown into a d3 intramural hockey game.

what i learned:
1) angles, angles, angles. stay square to the puck and anticipate
2) stick on the ice at all times
3) have the glove and blocker in positions to catch the puck at all times
4) timing is key when you drop low
5) just have fun!

rock on boys! :yo::yo:

AwesomeMatthews 04-08-2013 03:42 PM

I know this thread is old by this point but I just realized I forgot to tell you what I always tell new ice goalies - wear two cups. Seriously, wear a player jock with a cup underneath a goalie cup. Your children and your children's children will thank me. Anything after that is a toss-up.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.