HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Florida Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   If Florida wins lottery, who would you guys select? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1396657)

S E P H 04-05-2013 02:20 PM

If Florida wins lottery, who would you guys select?
 
Curious, Avs fan here; majority of our fanbase wants Jones (and REALLY need him) with Drouin as the close #2 guy. I came here wondering if Florida wins #1, who would guys draft as BPA with other factors as well like Weiss perhaps leaving, aging offensive core, or possible trade of Kulikov?

ShootIt 04-05-2013 02:29 PM

BPA, which IMO is MacKinnon.

R S 04-05-2013 02:34 PM

Going to be interesting to see what Cats fans think about a potential 1st overall pick.

When comparing the Panthers and Flames, it's obviously much different circumstances with Calgary having multiple glaring holes and Florida having much fewer.

Does your management think about Jones, giving you three very good young D in Kulikov, Gudbranson and Jones (plus other guys in the mix like Petrovic etc) to mix with your veterans.

Or do they opt for a forward?

I know most teams argue greatly for BPA, but you guys have a unique situation here. Huberdeau is a C, who has played some W this year. Does that continue? Is Huberdeau-Bjugstad-Shore down the middle appealing enough to pass on MacKinnon or Barkov and take a guy like Drouin? Do you keep Huberdeau as a winger and have MacKinnon-Bjugstad-Shore down the middle?

Going to be fun to watch and as an Avs fan I just hope we get the 1st pick so I won't be kept up at night wondering what teams like Calgary or Florida might be thinking.

Ghoste 04-05-2013 02:40 PM

I'd go with Mac, followed by Drouin. I think either one on a line with Huby would be dope.

-ghoste

S E P H 04-05-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings (Post 63369203)
Going to be interesting to see what Cats fans think about a potential 1st overall pick.

When comparing the Panthers and Flames, it's obviously much different circumstances with Calgary having multiple glaring holes and Florida having much fewer.

Does your management think about Jones, giving you three very good young D in Kulikov, Gudbranson and Jones (plus other guys in the mix like Petrovic etc) to mix with your veterans.

Or do they opt for a forward?

I know most teams argue greatly for BPA, but you guys have a unique situation here. Huberdeau is a C, who has played some W this year. Does that continue? Is Huberdeau-Bjugstad-Shore down the middle appealing enough to pass on MacKinnon or Barkov and take a guy like Drouin? Do you keep Huberdeau as a winger and have MacKinnon-Bjugstad-Shore down the middle?

Going to be fun to watch and as an Avs fan I just hope we get the 1st pick so I won't be kept up at night wondering what teams like Calgary or Florida might be thinking.

Fantastic post, RS! Yeah I am more concern about Panthers and the uncertainty than flames..

IceManCat 04-05-2013 02:45 PM

I'd go Seth Jones and trade Kulikov for scoring winger. There is no need to have Kuli and Jones.

pb1300 04-05-2013 02:51 PM

I want Mac, but I think Tallon is going to draft Drouin. Just a hunch. I think either one opposite of Huberdeau would work superbly.

Howboutthempanthers 04-05-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings (Post 63369203)
Going to be interesting to see what Cats fans think about a potential 1st overall pick.

When comparing the Panthers and Flames, it's obviously much different circumstances with Calgary having multiple glaring holes and Florida having much fewer.

Does your management think about Jones, giving you three very good young D in Kulikov, Gudbranson and Jones (plus other guys in the mix like Petrovic etc) to mix with your veterans.

Or do they opt for a forward?

I know most teams argue greatly for BPA, but you guys have a unique situation here. Huberdeau is a C, who has played some W this year.. Does that continue? Is Huberdeau-Bjugstad-Shore down the middle appealing enough to pass on MacKinnon or Barkov and take a guy like Drouin? Do you keep Huberdeau as a winger and have MacKinnon-Bjugstad-Shore down the middle?

Going to be fun to watch and as an Avs fan I just hope we get the 1st pick so I won't be kept up at night wondering what teams like Calgary or Florida might be thinking.

I think you got that backwards, he is a winger that's played some center (even though I have yet to see him play center, and I have been watching him since we drafted him). So there's no worries about him being moved out of his position if we get a center. But anyway, I'm hoping for MacKinnon with the #1 if the Panthers draft first. But we'll just have to wait and see.

AwesomePanthers 04-05-2013 03:44 PM

MacKinnon for sure for me. He is such an amazing prospect. Sick skater, skill and shot. Exactly the type we need to finish off Huberdeaus passes. They also have great chemistry.

I totally expect Flames to draft 1st, they got the weakest squad in the league. And I expect us and Avs to draft 2nd and 3rd, unless someone gets lucky and wins the lottery.

Dreaming of this line: Huberdeau - Bjugstad - MacKinnon.

p9ers 04-05-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howboutthempanthers (Post 63370625)
I think you got that backwards, he is a winger that's played some center (even though I have yet to see him play center, and I have been watching him since we drafted him). So there's no worries about him being moved out of his position if we get a center. But anyway, I'm hoping for MacKinnon with the #1 if the Panthers draft first. But we'll just have to wait and see.

He used to play center in the Q.

herashak 04-05-2013 05:12 PM

so the panthers are in need of a #1 C? as a flames fan i would like us to draft seth, we have holes everywhere except left wing but i would rather build around a dman

IceManCat 04-05-2013 05:17 PM

With Iginla gone I could see Flames going for Mak

ShootIt 04-05-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herashak (Post 63376693)
so the panthers are in need of a #1 C? as a flames fan i would like us to draft seth, we have holes everywhere except left wing but i would rather build around a dman

Yes. We need one badly.
Bjugstad is a question mark, Matthias might become a #2, Shore seems to be a 2-3 line center and Weiss will be an ufa.

IMO I go Mac @1 and if we lose out on him it's Barkov or Drouin @2

pb1300 04-05-2013 06:33 PM

IMO, Mac is going to be a wing in the NHL. While we do have question marks at center, Id rather him play the wing opposite of Huberdeau.

AaronEkbald 04-05-2013 06:39 PM

Hopefully, the lottery and draft goes like this:

1. Jones - Colorado
2. MacKinnon - Florida
3. Drouin - Calgary

All 3 franchises win. Everybody's happy.

nhlfan9191 04-05-2013 06:59 PM

BPA. So TBD.

smokes lets go 04-05-2013 10:22 PM

Mackinnon, fits this team like a glove. Huberedeau-Mackinnon= Toews/Kane. Panthers are one Franchise center away from being perennial cup contenders (if the prospects continue to develop)

Erick 04-05-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herashak (Post 63376693)
so the panthers are in need of a #1 C? as a flames fan i would like us to draft seth, we have holes everywhere except left wing but i would rather build around a dman

On this board, people think that's a stupid idea so good luck with that debate.

Erick 04-05-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceManCat (Post 63369811)
I'd go Seth Jones and trade Kulikov for scoring winger. There is no need to have Kuli and Jones.

Not that it's what I want to happen, but how is there "no need" for such a thing? Would it upset you if we drafted Jones AND kept Kulikov?

Because, personally, having what would arguably be the best D-core in the NHL one day combined with one of the best goalies would be cool with me.

To answer the OP, I hope they take the best player available, whoever that is. To be fair, I don't think anyone here knows who that truly is with the exception of maybe a couple of people.

We judge and evaluate these prospects basically on like one or two games we've seen them play.

I'd be interested in seeing who everyone picks, and then seeing them post how many games they've actually seen said prospect play.

The logic on this board is mostly to take MacKinnon because drafting any defenseman is stupid, which is absurd.

Markstrom Rules 04-05-2013 10:35 PM

I hope we don't get the #1 pick, a lot of scouts think Jones will go #1.(And I don't think drafting a defenseman with a top 5 pick is stupid, I just prefer MacKinnon. And so do some NHL scouts. If Mac is gone, then Jones for me.)

Ghoste 04-05-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erick (Post 63404843)
Not that it's what I want to happen, but how is there "no need" for such a thing? Would it upset you if we drafted Jones AND kept Kulikov?

Because, personally, having what would arguably be the best D-core in the NHL one day combined with one of the best goalies would be cool with me.

To answer the OP, I hope they take the best player available, whoever that is. To be fair, I don't think anyone here knows who that truly is with the exception of maybe a couple of people.

We judge and evaluate these prospects basically on like one or two games we've seen them play.

I'd be interested in seeing who everyone picks, and then seeing them post how many games they've actually seen said prospect play.

The logic on this board is mostly to take MacKinnon because drafting any defenseman is stupid, which is absurd.

This is why I'm fine with whoever Tallon selects. Wanting Mac is just my preference for a talented offensive goal-scorer, not because I think drafting defensemen are stupid (not that you were directing towards me). I even wanted us to grab Bouw & Guds which we did end up doing.

I only watch highlights, watched the subway series & WJC, read articles, check boxscores, take other people's words for it, etc. I've never been to a Halifax or a Portland game. Whoever Tallon rolls with is good for me.

-ghoste

Ghoste 04-05-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules (Post 63405353)
I hope we don't get the #1 pick, a lot of scouts think Jones will go #1.(And I don't think drafting a defenseman with a top 5 pick is stupid, I just prefer MacKinnon. And so do some NHL scouts. If Mac is gone, then Jones for me.)

Same here, except I want Drouin if Mac is gone then Jones maybe. I know you say Barkov is great too but I think he's slipped to 4th for me.

-ghoste

Markstrom Rules 04-05-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghoste (Post 63405757)
Same here, except I want Drouin if Mac is gone then Jones maybe. I know you say Barkov is great too but I think he's slipped to 4th for me.

-ghoste

Yeah I have Barkov at 4th too.

IceManCat 04-05-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erick (Post 63404843)
Not that it's what I want to happen, but how is there "no need" for such a thing? Would it upset you if we drafted Jones AND kept Kulikov?

Because, personally, having what would arguably be the best D-core in the NHL one day combined with one of the best goalies would be cool with me.

To answer the OP, I hope they take the best player available, whoever that is. To be fair, I don't think anyone here knows who that truly is with the exception of maybe a couple of people.

We judge and evaluate these prospects basically on like one or two games we've seen them play.

I'd be interested in seeing who everyone picks, and then seeing them post how many games they've actually seen said prospect play.

The logic on this board is mostly to take MacKinnon because drafting any defenseman is stupid, which is absurd.


Why would I be upset? They would both essentially fill the same role with one being better than the other. There is no need to have both of them especially considering how they will take up salary space, I would rather Kulikov's salary go to an offensive forward.

Ghoste 04-05-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules (Post 63405905)
Yeah I have Barkov at 4th too.

Yeah, and just so you know, I really respect your opinions on players (and posts for that matter). Always have.

-ghoste


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.