HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The History of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Help me build my super chexx - Top 12 players, EVER! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1396713)

wondeROY 04-05-2013 03:34 PM

Help me build my super chexx - Top 12 players, EVER!

Hey guys, I'm going to do a custom paint job on my super chexx table that is being shipped right now. Before I had a Carrom Elite Stick that I did the 2001 stanley cup final (COL vs NJ) on, and I essentially took the best 5 (+goalie) players from each teams lineup.

My super chexx table is already US vs Canada, and it needs some refreshing, so I've decided to do a all-time best from each country.

So I'd like some input from you all about which 6 players (5 skaters 1 goalie) from each country that I MUST HAVE on there.

6 must have players from Canada.
6 must have players from USA.

This can be active, retired, or dead! Just your top 6 from each country. Thanks!

Go! :handclap:

And just for visual, this is a before and after from my Carrom table. Super Joe!
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...Custom1003.jpg

wondeROY 04-05-2013 03:43 PM

I should clarify that i need 2 D men from each country, so you can't have 5 forwards. :P

TheDevilMadeMe 04-05-2013 04:02 PM

Canada:

Mario Lemieux/Bobby Hull - Wayne Gretzky - Gordie Howe
Bobby Orr - Doug Harvey
Patrick Roy

Lemieux > Hull, but if you want to be anal about positions, Hull was full-time LW, and Lemieux only played LW later in his career when his back was really bothering him.

USA:

Keith Tkachuk - Mike Modano - Brett Hull
Brian Leetch - Chris Chelios
Frank Brimsek

My god, US has weak forwards compared to Canada!

You could also use Pat Lafontaine over Tkachuk. Lafontaine was a better player, but I don't think he ever played LW.

If for some reason, you don't consider Brett Hull American, then I guess you have to do Joe Mullen or Jeremy Roenick. But really, this Team USA needs all the help they can get, so just let them have the younger Hull.

wondeROY 04-05-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe (Post 63373591)
Canada:

Bobby Orr - Doug Harvey
Patrick Roy

Lemieux > Hull, but if you want to be anal about positions, Hull was full-time LW, and Lemieux only played LW later in his career when his back was really bothering him. I

USA:

Frank Brimsek

You could also use Pat Lafontaine over Tkachuk. Lafontaine was a better player, but I don't think he ever played LW.

If for some reason, you don't consider Brett Hull American, then I guess you have to do Joe Mullen or Jeremy Roenick. But really, this Team USA needs all the help they can get, so just let them have Hull.

Lol i was just thinking the same thing. Damnit MERICA..cmon!

Good point on Lafontaine, he nearly slipped my mind.

As far as the canada D pairing, which would you pair with Orr out of these 3; Pronger, Coffee, Bourque?

BayStreetBullies* 04-05-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wondeROY (Post 63373783)

As far as the canada D pairing, which would you pair with Orr out of these 3; Pronger, Coffee, Bourque?

Bourque

pdd 04-05-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Canada:

Bobby Orr - Doug Harvey
Patrick Roy

Lemieux > Hull, but if you want to be anal about positions, Hull was full-time LW, and Lemieux only played LW later in his career when his back was really bothering him.

USA:

Frank Brimsek

If for some reason, you don't consider Brett Hull American, then I guess you have to do Joe Mullen or Jeremy Roenick. But really, this Team USA needs all the help they can get, so just let them have the younger Hull.

And LaFontaine over Modano.

Also, I would use Mark Howe and Rod Langway over Brian Leetch.

You could also use Mark Howe at LW; he played there for almost a decade in the WHA.

TheDevilMadeMe 04-05-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eva unit zero (Post 63376333)

You could also use Mark Howe at LW; he played there for almost a decade in the WHA.

He's going for the best possible players; he isn't desperate to find a way to add as many ex-Red Wings to the lineup

wondeROY 04-05-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eva unit zero (Post 63376333)

Lafontaine over Modano?? Really? Interesting, not sure about. Also, I'm not position specific, essentially looking for 3 best fwds from each country. I don't think they will mind where they are on the table. :)

wondeROY 04-05-2013 05:30 PM

What do you guys think about this? If I take these 3 fwds for USA. Modano, Tkachuk, and Patrick Kane. Would it be madness to take kane over Lafontaine? Is it realistic to think when Kane retires he will have better numbers then Lafontaine?

Yamaguchi* 04-05-2013 06:13 PM

No one mentioned Trottier at centre? He played for the US internationally.

USA
===============================

Brett Hull Bryan Trottier Joe Mullen

Al Iafrate Mark Howe

Mike Richter

Canada
==================================

Mario Lemieux Wayne Gretzky Bob Nystrom

Bobby Orr Eddie Shore

Billy Smith

Enjoy your game

Wrigley 04-05-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

...USA:

Frank Brimsek

John LeClair - Mike Modano - Brett Hull
Frank Brimsek

I'll take John LeClair at LW.

pdd 04-05-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wondeROY (Post 63377081)
Lafontaine over Modano?? Really? Interesting, not sure about. Also, I'm not position specific, essentially looking for 3 best fwds from each country. I don't think they will mind where they are on the table. :)

In that case, take Modano, LaFontaine, and Hull.

If you want to recognize the WHA, Howe was a better player than Modano and he spent a decade at LW (as I mentioned) so take him ahead of Modano.

Also, take Chelios and Howe/Langway. If you want the best players, take Chelios and Langway, put Howe at LW, and leave Modano off.

pdd 04-05-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmm (Post 63380803)
Frank Brimsek

He has a case over Tkachuk, they were pretty close in the 90s but Tkachuk was able to maintain better productivity as a player over a longer career. There's not a huge gap, though; if there's one at all.

pdd 04-05-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wondeROY (Post 63377555)
What do you guys think about this? If I take these 3 fwds for USA. Modano, Tkachuk, and Patrick Kane. Would it be madness to take kane over Lafontaine? Is it realistic to think when Kane retires he will have better numbers then Lafontaine?

LaFontaine is the best US-Born forward.

I assume you left Brett Hull off because he was born in Canada.

Modano and Tkachuk enjoy a small advantage over John LeClair.

Kane, Parise, Kessel, and even Paul Stastny (if he gets in gear a la late 90s Modano) all have the potential to break into that club. I probably left someone out as well.

TheDevilMadeMe 04-05-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmm (Post 63380803)
Frank Brimsek

Wow, can't believe I forgot LeClair. Yeah, he makes this team over Tkachuk

Lemieux - Gretzky - Howe
Harvey - Orr
Roy

LeClair - Modano - Hull
Leetch - Chelios
Brimsek

Is what I'd do. I think that puts them all on their proper sides too.

wondeROY 04-06-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eva unit zero (Post 63383893)
LaFontaine is the best US-Born forward.

I assume you left Brett Hull off because he was born in Canada.

Modano and Tkachuk enjoy a small advantage over John LeClair.

Kane, Parise, Kessel, and even Paul Stastny (if he gets in gear a la late 90s Modano) all have the potential to break into that club. I probably left someone out as well.

Correct, as much as i want to use him, I'm really trying to keep it to american-born players for usa, even though he had dual citizenship, I'd like to keep it .."real". ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe (Post 63386165)
Wow, can't believe I forgot LeClair. Yeah, he makes this team over Tkachuk

Lemieux - Gretzky - Howe
Harvey - Orr
Roy

LeClair - Modano - Hull
Leetch - Chelios
Brimsek

Is what I'd do. I think that puts them all on their proper sides too.

Yeah I'm rather torn on taking leclair over tkachuk, tough call!!

TheDevilMadeMe 04-06-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wondeROY (Post 63429213)
Correct, as much as i want to use him, I'm really trying to keep it to american-born players for usa, even though he had dual citizenship, I'd like to keep it .."real". ;)

I get that Hull was born in Canada and that the only reason he started to play for USA is that Canada didn't take him as a junior. But still, he played for Team USA in just about every major international tournament for 2 decades. This isn't Bryan Trottier, who played in 1 Canada Cup for Canada and 1 for the USA.

Quote:

Yeah I'm rather torn on taking leclair over tkachuk, tough call!!
As the guy who completely forgot about LeClair, I think it's an easy call.

2 1st Team All Stars, 3 2nd Team All Stars for LeClair vs 2 2nd Team All Stars for Tkachuk. LeClair was also an All Star at the 1996 World Cup, USA's shining moment.

Actually, it's not at all what you asked in the first post, but one thing you could do that could be fun is to make it the top unit of Team USA's best team (the 1996 World Cup Team) vs what you think is Team Canada's best Team (I'd prefer the 1987 Canada Cup team because you get both Gretzky and Lemieux). Then you have:

Mike Richter

vs

Mark Messier - Wayne Gretzky - Mario Lemieux
Ray Bourque - Paul Coffey
Grant Fuhr

EagleBelfour 04-06-2013 02:28 PM

Suggestion: Instead of CAN vs. USA, try USSR insteas, would look much better/equal:

Valeri Kharlamov - Vladimir Petrov/Alexander Maltsev - Boris Mikhailov

Viacheslav Fetisov - Valeri Vasiliev

Vladislav Tretiak

TheDevilMadeMe 04-06-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleBelfour (Post 63430397)
Suggestion: Instead of CAN vs. USA, try USSR insteas, would look much better/equal:

Vladislav Tretiak

If he's doing an all-time Soviet team, I would do:

Kharlamov - Maltsev - Makarov
Fetisov - Vasiliev
Tretiak

or

Ovechkin - Fedorov - Makarov
Fetisov - Vasiliev
Tretiak

Wrigley 04-06-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe (Post 63430301)
I get that Hull was born in Canada and that the only reason he started to play for USA is that Canada didn't take him as a junior. But still, he played for Team USA in just about every major international tournament for 2 decades. This isn't Bryan Trottier, who played in 1 Canada Cup for Canada and 1 for the USA.

2 1st Team All Stars, 3 2nd Team All Stars for LeClair vs 2 2nd Team All Stars for Tkachuk. LeClair was also an All Star at the 1996 World Cup, USA's shining moment. ...

Agreed. Also excluding someone because they were not born in the US (such as (the children of parents in the military or the State Dept.) or Albert Einstein whose letter to FDR caused the US to develop the first A-Bombs that helped the US win WWII)) is not keeping it real, it's discrimination. As you said Hull is an American who did a lot for US Hockey and LeClair was much better than Tkachuk. It's not a tough call at all. I wish he was keeping it real.

pdd 04-06-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Vladislav Tretiak

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe (Post 63430919)
If he's doing an all-time Soviet team, I would do:

Kharlamov - Maltsev - Makarov
Fetisov - Vasiliev
Tretiak

or

Ovechkin - Fedorov - Makarov
Fetisov - Vasiliev
Tretiak

Makarov is absolutely the RW. And Fedorov definitely should be at center.

IMHO, Ovechkin should be over Kharlamov; I think Kharlamov gets a bit overrated because of international play against lesser competition than Ovechkin faced and the Summit Series, while Ovechkin was legitimately considered the best LW in the world for an unbroken five year period and is still among the world's best players, and will be so for many more years. As good as Kharlamov was... he was not Ovechkin.

On defense I would argue vehemently for Sergei Zubov over Vasiliev for career value. If we're just talking absolute ability, there's no way NOT to take Konstantinov. He was the best defenseman in the world when his career was ended, and was only at the beginning of his prime. One wonders what might have been had he chosen - like Fedorov - not to get into that limo. Because as good as Lidstrom was, even then, Konstantinov was considerably better.

BubbaBoot 04-06-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe (Post 63430301)

2 1st Team All Stars, 3 2nd Team All Stars for LeClair vs 2 2nd Team All Stars for Tkachuk. LeClair was also an All Star at the 1996 World Cup, USA's shining moment.

Actually, it's not at all what you asked in the first post, but one thing you could do that could be fun is to make it the top unit of Team USA's best team (the 1996 World Cup Team) vs what you think is Team Canada's best Team (I'd prefer the 1987 Canada Cup team because you get both Gretzky and Lemieux). Then you have:

Mike Richter

vs

Mark Messier - Wayne Gretzky - Mario Lemieux
Ray Bourque - Paul Coffey
Grant Fuhr

I've been working on a VsX sheet for LWers goal scoring finishes. Leclair at his 6 year peak had an amazing run.....4 times he lead the NHL LWers, once he was 2nd and once he was 3rd, (by 1 goal). So far only Bobby Hull and Michel Goulet, (Ovechkin is tied with him in an 8 yr peak) have better goal scoring finishes at that position. (I haven't delved into the 50's and 40's yet).

Tkachuk is no slouch, he had a steady 11 yr run, leading all NHL LWers in goals once and coming in 2nd 3 times. He consistently finished in the top 2/3/4 in goals during that run.

Hull by far is the best ever LWer to play the game. In a 13 year run in the NHL in most goals scored by a LWer, he finished no lower than 2nd only twice, before heading to the WHA. He was as dominant there as Rocket Richard was on the RW.

vadim sharifijanov 04-06-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe (Post 63376599)
He's going for the best possible players; he isn't desperate to find a way to add as many ex-Red Wings to the lineup

i kind of like it. you could have hull vs. hull, howe vs. howe, directly matched up on opposite wings.

roy
harvey orr
howe gretzky hull

howe modano hull
chelios leetch
brimsek

Hammer Time 04-07-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Vladislav Tretiak

Yep looks good, although I was putting a USSR team on a hockey table I'd just do:

Krutov - Larionov - Makarov
Fetisov - Kasatonov
Tretiak

Just wouldn't pass up on the most dominant international lineup of all time.

Yamaguchi* 04-07-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meteor (Post 63479617)
Yep looks good, although I was putting a USSR team on a hockey table I'd just do:

Krutov - Larionov - Makarov
Fetisov - Kasatonov
Tretiak

Just wouldn't pass up on the most dominant international lineup of all time.

How about Shepelev at center?
The guy who scored a hat trick in the 1981 Canada Cup final.