HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   schedule Quirk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1397195)

Djp 04-06-2013 03:30 AM

schedule Quirk

Can anyone explain why they would have NY Islanders @ Buffalo for Friday April 26 and not have this on Saturday April 27 when the most teams close?

It appears the Arena doesn't have a scheduling conflict at this time.

My feeling is because tentatively a lacrosse playoff game would happen on Saturday. Couldn't they just do it on Sunday?

Would they move the game to Saturday if they could?

Squantosawuss 04-06-2013 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djp (Post 63413863)
Can anyone explain why they would have NY Islanders @ Buffalo for Friday April 26 and not have this on Saturday April 27 when the most teams close?

My feeling is because tentatively a lacrosse playoff game would happen on Saturday. Couldn't they just do it on Sunday?

Do all teams have to play their last game on the same day? They don't all have their first game on the same day.

SackTastic 04-06-2013 08:52 AM

Why exactly does it matter?

Silence Of The Plams 04-06-2013 08:56 AM

New rule: we all have to play every game on the same day as others.

Chippah 04-06-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djp (Post 63413863)

I believe that's when locker room clean out day is scheduled. Just because there isn't a concert or sporting event doesn't mean the arena is sitting doing nothing...jeesh :sarcasm:

Myllz 04-06-2013 01:21 PM

Let me guess...you want to go to the game, but can't on Friday?

Amerksonian 04-06-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SackTastic (Post 63416487)
Why exactly does it matter?

Can't speak for NHL, but in some other leagues the fact that teams play their last games simultaneously makes it a bit more difficult to do matchup/playoff calculations. Such activity could be more common in e.g. olympic hockey (denverpost.com). :naughty:

With NHL rewarding OT loss with 1 point it could possibly allow some passively played games when opposing teams both need only that 1 point for making the playoffs/division title/conference title. It's not as easy to play this type of game if everyone still has a game left to play on the same day.

I assume in this case NHL just didn't want to have the friday without any games while stacking all the games on Saturday, to maximize viewers.

HockeyH3aven 04-06-2013 01:49 PM

I honestly don't understand what the problem is.

Karate Johnson 04-06-2013 02:28 PM

What a crazy quirk!

Djp 04-06-2013 02:37 PM

I see the last 1/2 playoff spot(s) up for grabs going into the final game.

because of 15 teams one team cant play. The rest can and should.

i look at this similar to world cup soccer schedules when the final games are designed to happen at the same time for compitititve reasons.

If you think of the battle as being 2 playoff spots for the 3 NYC teams NYI play at Buffalo and NJ and NYR play each other. If the islanders are 1 pt back and NJ and NYR are in 7th and 8th...if the islanders lose first to Buffalo then NJ and NYR are in so they arent necessarily trying to win ---they may be trying to lose for playoff matchups. Had the islander won then they have a playoff spot to fight for. Thus these two games should happen at the same time.

SackTastic 04-06-2013 02:42 PM

None of that crap matters.

You play your games. You play them when they're scheduled.

omglolnub 04-06-2013 04:25 PM

lolwut

Mike McDermott 04-06-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djp (Post 63427841)
I see the last 1/2 playoff spot(s) up for grabs going into the final game.

because of 15 teams one team cant play. The rest can and should.

i look at this similar to world cup soccer schedules when the final games are designed to happen at the same time for compitititve reasons.

If you think of the battle as being 2 playoff spots for the 3 NYC teams NYI play at Buffalo and NJ and NYR play each other. If the islanders are 1 pt back and NJ and NYR are in 7th and 8th...if the islanders lose first to Buffalo then NJ and NYR are in so they arent necessarily trying to win ---they may be trying to lose for playoff matchups. Had the islander won then they have a playoff spot to fight for. Thus these two games should happen at the same time.

So the nhl is supposed to know when they schedule who's going to be fighting for the final playoff spots and schedule them at the same time?

As long as I've been a hockey fan I can't remember a season where every team played the last day of the season. Heck it is rare that all teams play on a single day any point in the season.

jflory81 04-06-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike McDermott (Post 63435073)
So the nhl is supposed to know when they schedule who's going to be fighting for the final playoff spots and schedule them at the same time?

As long as I've been a hockey fan I can't remember a season where every team played the last day of the season. Heck it is rare that all teams play on a single day any point in the season.

Actually the whole league did play on the last day last season. I didn't remember that either, but it also seems to be the exception.

I feel like the majority of the time the season ends on a weekend, but the majority of games are played on Saturday and the season ends on Sunday with only 4 or 5 games.