HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Therrien's system -what is it ? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1397213)

Johnny Budwick 04-06-2013 05:14 AM

Therrien's system -what is it ?

I don't want to immerse myself into a sterile theoretical exercise that has no real value in practice..but we hear often coaches talking about systems, their application, etc

is it a sort of personal philosophy, ie: their own conception of how the game should be played?

the concrete application of timeless hockey fundamentals?

x and o's?

What is exactly Therrien's system, both in conceptual and pratical terms and how does it translate on the ice ?

charlie 04-06-2013 05:21 AM

Therrien system is simple.

Two man forcheck and defense chip, forward back.

HF-Addict 04-06-2013 06:01 AM

1st period: play awesome guys
2nd period: Go out there and show the fans how bad you guys can be if you wish.
3rd period: Win Win Win

Davebo 04-06-2013 06:06 AM

We're a small team "No Excuses!"
The pressure in Montreal "No Excuses!"
The bruins and pens are..."No Excuses!"
Winning 25 cups is hard "No Excuses!"

Something like that, I think. Whatever it is, I've never seen a team buy into 'it' so quickly. That just shows how rudderless we were last season - damn....

PricePkPatch 04-06-2013 06:24 AM

Neutral zone defensive play is a triangular position with one man going against the puck carrier and 2 others ready to either take advantage of the lost puck, intercept the pass or go after the next puck carrier.

Aggressive fore-checking. Play the puck deep by cycling until the center controls it relatively unchallenged, and then have a man charge the net. The center on the side should then have 3 pass options: 1- Behind the net 2- In front of the net and 3- the defensemen.

Alexdaman 04-06-2013 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperAlpha (Post 63415237)
I don't want to immerse myself into a sterile theoretical exercise that has no real value in practice..but we hear often coaches talking about systems, their application, etc

is it a sort of personal philosophy, ie: their own conception of how the game should be played?

the concrete application of timeless hockey fundamentals?

x and o's?

What is exactly Therrien's system, both in conceptual and pratical terms and how does it translate on the ice ?

A lot more forecheking 2-1-2, quick passes to the red line by D's, less puck dumping (except the 4th line), lots of 3 man rushes, emphasis on breaking up passing lanes, big reliance on D's in the end zone ( if possible chase the puck and win a battle or dump instead of backing up ). The habs make lots of passes in their rushes other teams often tend to keep and throw the puck low on the net and go for the rebound.

shutehinside 04-06-2013 06:36 AM

Pick pursuit game with a 2 man forecheck with lots of speed to pressure when the opportunity arises to try and get giveaways. If they get a give away, quick counter strike.

The defense is there to support the forwards on the point in the O zone and the forwards are there to support the defense on a break out and cover the points in the D zone.

All hinges on a very fast, very physical high tempo game puck possession game that wears down the competition. It's harder to defend than to play offense. That's why we can, for the most part, keep leads because we don't sit back in a defensive shell like we used to last year but rather keep the pace and pressure on the other team.

Lshap 04-06-2013 06:44 AM

Pass! Pass! Pa - oh crap, get the puck back! Scramble! Scramble! Any time now! Pass! Pass! Cycle! Cycle! Dammit - get the puck back! Pass! Cycle again! SHOOT! Net crash! Gallagher!

1-0 Montreal.

Kboum 04-06-2013 07:20 AM

In the defensive zone the play a scheme called "swarm" IIRC.

When the puck is in the corner, forwards will get down a lot always having more habs players then opponents. They all look the puck and kinda turn their back on the man they cover (defense).

but they most of the time get the puck out and win battles because of outnumbered. Its hard to explain with words

MXD 04-06-2013 08:09 AM

Most distinguishable feature is lots of shots from the blueline, followed by 1-2 man forecheck and defense pinch. Centers tend to stay a little behind as well.

LucaGTI 04-06-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lshap (Post 63415811)
Pass! Pass! Pa - oh crap, get the puck back! Scramble! Scramble! Any time now! Pass! Pass! Cycle! Cycle! Dammit - get the puck back! Pass! Cycle again! SHOOT! Net crash! Gallagher!

1-0 Montreal.

ahahahah i was laughing alone like an idiot at my desk for a while :laugh::laugh:

great post :P

deandebean 04-06-2013 08:12 AM

The swarm system is like plying what we used to call 'playing the small ice'.

Gally11 04-06-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kboum (Post 63416119)
In the defensive zone the play a scheme called "swarm" IIRC.

When the puck is in the corner, forwards will get down a lot always having more habs players then opponents. They all look the puck and kinda turn their back on the man they cover (defense).

but they most of the time get the puck out and win battles because of outnumbered. Its hard to explain with words

I kind of like it but when a forward is able to get a pass through to the middle it can look pretty bad because both D are in the corner

WeThreeKings 04-06-2013 09:08 AM

Diving constantly.

/Bruins

Habsterix* 04-06-2013 09:08 AM

He has no system because people on HFBoards can't tell what it is. :sarcasm:

Beendair Donedat 04-06-2013 09:18 AM

Aggressive puck pursuit in offensive and defensive zones, 2-1-2 forecheck with active defensemen, defensive accountability - quick puck movement (get the puck out).

No passive puck pursuit, dump and chase, sit on a one goal lead from the first period on Jack Martin snoozefests.

niftymove 04-06-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

He has no system because people on HFBoards can't tell what it is.
Lol! Yeah not very convincing effort so far. Me think we need a real pro-hockey coach here.

The few things i can say: very aggressive forechecking where they seems to try to outnumber the opponents on the board play. Fast cycling of the puck in O zone. D seems to close the gap with puck holder asap.

But I,m no coach!:)

edsqu 04-06-2013 04:48 PM

I wish we had more threads like this

JayKing 04-06-2013 05:57 PM

Give it to Subban on PP.
Give it to Ryder on ES.
(If those 2 aren't getting points, someone's screwing up :sarcasm: )

Dont Poke Subban 04-06-2013 06:00 PM

"No excuses!" is the system.

McSorleyStick 04-06-2013 06:40 PM

His system?

Du gros maudit bon sens + no excuses

Mats86 04-07-2013 08:23 AM

Speed - aggressive forecheck. Dump puck in, get on it quick, force turnovers. Get a cycle going, drive to the net, tip-ins, rebounds. Score first. Just wish he had a better shutdown system. Remember several big games this year opponets came back in third period. He needs more respect for importance of faceoffs deep in own end.

Kboum 04-07-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mats86 (Post 63486291)
Speed - aggressive forecheck. Dump puck in, get on it quick, force turnovers. Get a cycle going, drive to the net, tip-ins, rebounds. Score first. Just wish he had a better shutdown system. Remember several big games this year opponets came back in third period. He needs more respect for importance of faceoffs deep in own end.

thats why he sent Halpern only to take face offs then called him back in yesterdays game. saw it happened like 3 times

Mats86 04-07-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kboum (Post 63486327)
thats why he sent Halpern only to take face offs then called him back in yesterdays game. saw it happened like 3 times

Re-watch the boston goal.

Kboum 04-07-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mats86 (Post 63486445)
Re-watch the boston goal.

looks like he learned from his mistake. rewatch the end of the game and the 3rd period