HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospect Discussion (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1397263)

ColePens 04-06-2013 09:36 AM

Pittsburgh Penguins Prospect Discussion
 
Last couple posts:


Quote:

Originally Posted by Will Hunting (Post 63417913)
From what Iīve read about Portlandīs last game.. Pouliotīs goal was described as end-to-end highlight reel rush. DePo is absolutely dominating there since he came back from that injury.

There were 7 games played in the playoffs, Pouliot has 4g+9a while Seth Jones has 2g+3a on the same team. Pouliot is only 9 months older... Folks, Iīm starting to be really happy we took him. Kid is having amazing season, hopefully heīs in WBS next year and we will see more of him. Maybe to give him a very little look in the first team. He has amazing talent, we very well might find a gem there.

Iīve seen only a 2 games of him, but I was impressed. And heīs only going better and better since then. If you find a link for his last goal, please let me know. Iīm a huuge fan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper (Post 63418051)
He's not eligible for WBS next season. It's either the NHL (not gonna happen) or back to juniors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrimper (Post 63418147)
Harrison Ruopp and Matt Murray were both signed to ATO contracts at WBS today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will Hunting (Post 63418267)
How so?? Morgan Rielly is playing AHL this year, Hampus Lindholm as well... Just asking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper (Post 63418427)
Pouliot could play in the AHL this year or next if his WHL season is done (like Rielly's), but not before. It's because of his age and Canadian junior hockey's agreement with the NHL.

Lindholm was eligible to play the whole season there because he was not drafted out of Canadian junior hockey.


Will Hunting 04-06-2013 10:01 AM

Thanks for the clarification RRP. Thatīs a shame, because AHL would be the absolutely right thing for Pouliot while another season in juniors doesnīt really make sense for him.

Darth Vitale 04-06-2013 10:03 AM

You never know... if his physical game is there / impresses the team with his summer conditioning, he may make the team with an impressive camp. Long-shot but crazier things have happened.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper 04-06-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will Hunting (Post 63419417)
Thanks for the clarification RRP. Thatīs a shame, because AHL would be the absolutely right thing for Pouliot while another season in juniors doesnīt really make sense for him.

Well, we'll see. I don't think Pouliot's so good that he's just treading water at the WHL level just yet. I'd really like to see him dominate like Letang did and earn a spot on Canada's WJC blueline.

I know some people here think the tourney's overrated, but it's the only place where junior-aged talent can measure themselves against the best of their peers from around the world. The international stage and competition level can do a lot for their development.

UnrealMachine 04-06-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will Hunting (Post 63419417)
Thanks for the clarification RRP. Thatīs a shame, because AHL would be the absolutely right thing for Pouliot while another season in juniors doesnīt really make sense for him.

There isn't a spot for him on the team next season and it will probably be quite difficult to find a spot the following season as well (Doumolin, Harrington, Samuelsson, etc.). Playing in Juniors next season allows the Pens to let him further develop while not burning a year on his ELC. There is no hurry to get him on the Pens at all.

Jacob 04-06-2013 10:16 AM

I think Pouliot will be well served by another season in juniors. Especially with Portland probably losing their other three top four defensemen, DP is going to get a huge bump in ice time and responsibilities.

Will Hunting 04-06-2013 10:31 AM

Well, Seth Jones will almost definitely make a jump right into NHL action. They are a bit different kids, but Iīm not sure heīs that much better than Pouliot right now. Derrick is in a very difficult situation in our organization though and I think the only way he really earns the spot here is if he completely dominates the AHL. So we have to wait at least another year for it to possibly happen.

AHL is the best possible measurement for players like DePo and Iīm sure heīs ready to compete at that level decently RIGHT NOW. Thatīs why I think itīs a shame heīs not eligible to play there. We will see, Iīm just happy with him right now. Hopefully he has a great camp next year and stays at least for a few games with a big club (not to burn a year of his ELC).

Jacob 04-06-2013 11:38 AM

Nice to see DP piling up points in the playoffs though.

SprootsMasterFlex 04-06-2013 11:48 AM

Here are the highlights including Pouliot's End-to-End Rush.

He's had some gaffes as well in this game, IMO.

http://winterhawks.com/video/index/i...1fd4435ffd871f

SprootsMasterFlex 04-06-2013 11:50 AM

Man is Rattie a nice player. i'd love to see him in Black & Gold. A pure finisher.

You never know this summer, if the Blues choke this year perhaps they'd consider taking Orpik for him, so Shero can free-up cap cpace in the process so we can afford resigning Iginla :)

Rowdy Roddy Peeper 04-06-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob (Post 63422927)
Nice to see DP piling up points in the playoffs though.

For sure. Being tied for 2nd in all WHL playoff scoring is pretty eye-catching.

Sjb141 04-06-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will Hunting (Post 63420505)
Well, Seth Jones will almost definitely make a jump right into NHL action. They are a bit different kids, but Iīm not sure heīs that much better than Pouliot right now. Derrick is in a very difficult situation in our organization though and I think the only way he really earns the spot here is if he completely dominates the AHL. So we have to wait at least another year for it to possibly happen.

AHL is the best possible measurement for players like DePo and Iīm sure heīs ready to compete at that level decently RIGHT NOW. Thatīs why I think itīs a shame heīs not eligible to play there. We will see, Iīm just happy with him right now. Hopefully he has a great camp next year and stays at least for a few games with a big club (not to burn a year of his ELC).

They are different players - Jones is much more ready from a physicality and defensive game stand point. From everything I've heard about Pouliot he's much more defensively capable than given credit for but he still has a lot of work to do to not be a liabilty at the pro level (as do 99.9999% of all prospects). I'd agree that the AHL is probably the best place for him - I'd feel much better if the junior team he was playing for was known for its defensive structure so he could focus more on that aspect of his game (like London), but I still feel going back for another year is beneficial.


Jmelm - you were talking about Sundqvist a little in the last thread. I was talking to a friend of mine who lives in Sweden a little last week and mentioned if he heard anything about him. Mentioned he really liked him and thought he could be be a lot like a lars eller (his comp not mine) - good skater and hands, doesn't score a ton but surprises you with some of his offensive moves, but his main value is his 2 way play and also has a real mean streak (paraphrasing). I think your comp of sutter (although maybe slightly stronger/more filled out) seems to be a good one.

I don't like comps in general and even though i might have been the first to say Berglund-lite I was pretty hesitant saying that b/c Berglund was always considered to be a high end offensive player who probably has about 25-30 lbs on Oscar. I don't really think that's a realistic expectation, but if he can turn out to be a good 3c you'd be ectstatic (colllective 'you' there).

Anywas I'm pretty excited about him, even though I still think it's probably 50-50 he ever makes it to the NHL.

Malkinstheman 04-06-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex (Post 63423383)
Man is Rattie a nice player. i'd love to see him in Black & Gold. A pure finisher.

You never know this summer, if the Blues choke this year perhaps they'd consider taking Orpik for him, so Shero can free-up cap cpace in the process so we can afford resigning Iginla :)

Him and zack philiphs were both on the board but shero choose morow

Malkinstheman 04-06-2013 09:25 PM

Zlobins team lost again, this time 5-4 but he had 2 asists and was a +1

Letang fan 58 04-07-2013 01:54 AM

Hadn't seen anyone talking about The Hockey News issue that recently came out called "Future Watch". The Pens top 10 prospects in the magazine are.

1 Ollii Maatta
2 Derrick Pouliot
3 Beau Bennett
4 Joe Morrow
5 Simon Despres
6 Scott Harrington
7 Brian Dumoulin
8 Teddy Blueger
9 Jayson Megna
10 Oskar Sundqvist

I've heard that the organizations rank the prospects themselves and I'm a little surprised that Despres is that far down. What are your thoughts on the list?

Captain Hook 04-07-2013 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex (Post 63423303)
Here are the highlights including Pouliot's End-to-End Rush.

He's had some gaffes as well in this game, IMO.

http://winterhawks.com/video/index/i...1fd4435ffd871f

Wow. That Pouliot goal was sick.

Malkinstheman 04-07-2013 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Letang fan 58 (Post 63482705)
Hadn't seen anyone talking about The Hockey News issue that recently came out called "Future Watch". The Pens top 10 prospects in the magazine are.

1 Ollii Maatta
2 Derrick Pouliot
3 Beau Bennett
4 Joe Morrow
5 Simon Despres
6 Scott Harrington
7 Brian Dumoulin
8 Teddy Blueger
9 Jayson Megna
10 Oskar Sundqvist

I've heard that the organizations rank the prospects themselves and I'm a little surprised that Despres is that far down. What are your thoughts on the list?

Im surprised megnas in the top 10, and i thought poliout would be #1 but him and maata are pretty interchangeable for me

Malkinstheman 04-07-2013 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Hook (Post 63482999)
Wow. That Pouliot goal was sick.

I agree, he has SOME skill. Cant wait to see him at the proffesional level. He sometimes looks like a forward out there, i just hope he can develop his defensive game as well.

Sivek 04-07-2013 02:58 PM

Playoff hockey must agree with Maatta. Had an assist today in a 2-0 win and has picked up a point in 5 of 6 playoff games. Ended the regular season with points in 9 of his last 13 games.

Shrimper 04-07-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Letang fan 58 (Post 63482705)
Hadn't seen anyone talking about The Hockey News issue that recently came out called "Future Watch". The Pens top 10 prospects in the magazine are.

1 Ollii Maatta
2 Derrick Pouliot
3 Beau Bennett
4 Joe Morrow
5 Simon Despres
6 Scott Harrington
7 Brian Dumoulin
8 Teddy Blueger
9 Jayson Megna
10 Oskar Sundqvist

I've heard that the organizations rank the prospects themselves and I'm a little surprised that Despres is that far down. What are your thoughts on the list?

Do you know if it's possible to buy The Hockey News in the UK?

Solution 04-07-2013 04:56 PM

I saw that Barton and Darling were signed to Pro with WBS after Wheeling,s season ended. Any word on Vielleux, McNeill, and Velischek?

Jacob 04-07-2013 05:23 PM

I believe McNeill is on an NHL deal and he's up with the baby Pens right now. Veilleux has not yet been recalled, and I doubt he will be.

Malkinstheman 04-07-2013 05:27 PM

Velischek signed a contract with wheeling but isnt on an nhl deal. Pens will probably watch him next season and see if he deserves a roster spot in the a

Sivek 04-07-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solushun (Post 63509485)
I saw that Barton and Darling were signed to Pro with WBS after Wheeling,s season ended. Any word on Vielleux, McNeill, and Velischek?

All told, the extra's for WBS right now are

G-Matt Murray-ATO
D-Harrison Ruopp-ATO, though he is signed to an ELC that kicks in next season
D-Clark Seymour-ATO
G-Scott Darling-PTO
F-Chris Barton-PTO
F-Christiaan Minella-PTO
D-Reid McNeill-ELC

Veilleux it seems is completely out of the Pens plans, to no big surprise.

Burgs 04-07-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrimper (Post 63503597)
Do you know if it's possible to buy The Hockey News in the UK?

Some 15 years ago I had a full subscription via an English company, Barker's Worldwide Publications, in Woking, Surrey. I don't think they exist anymore. Was really expensive and with the internet now nobody would pay those prices anymore.

But you can buy them as E-books at zinio.com (1 year with 26 regular issues and 4 specials costs 31 pounds). You can purchase the specials like the yearbook or the future watch only, too.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.