HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Speculation: Value of the MacKinnon Pick (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1398263)

A Pointed Stick 04-07-2013 02:47 PM

Value of the MacKinnon Pick

If you were the GM who wound up with the pick that lands Nathan MacKinnon, what would it take to pry him from you?

And...

If Florida wound up with that pick, what do you think they would want from the Isles for him if Tavares and Hamonic were off the table?

Pierce Hawthorne 04-07-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick (Post 63498421)
If you were the GM who wound up with the pick that lands Nathan MacKinnon, what would it take to pry him from you?

And...

If Florida wound up with that pick, what do you think they would want from the Isles for him if Tavares and Hamonic were off the table?

Absolutely nothing....

You cant take a guy like Hamonic off the table and seriously try to make an offer for a player of Mackinnons caliber.

Laughable.

Leafs For Life* 04-07-2013 02:51 PM

Probably from NYI it'd be strome++

I'd do Gardiner+Colborne+1st or 2nd

Howboutthempanthers 04-07-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

And...

The last team that would trade their top draft pick, especially someone like MacKinnon would be the Panthers. Tallon don't do those sort of things. Go ask Calgary.

RIP Chris Butler 04-07-2013 02:53 PM

Probably something around all 5 of your top prospects...

Djp 04-07-2013 02:55 PM

I think in the LeCavalier year Tampa Bay was offered 4 1sts......it got turned down.

HockeyThoughts 04-07-2013 02:56 PM

JVR-MacKinnon-Kessel
Kulemin-Kadri-Lupul
MacArthur-Bozak-Frattin
Komarov-McClement-Enforcer

http://i433.photobucket.com/albums/q...41-261x300.gif

I'd trade our 1st and Jake Gardiner.

CREW99AW 04-07-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

And...

I would think the only way the top 1-3 picks are moved, is if the teams drafting top 3 are trading among themselves because they have Jones/MacKinnon/Drouin so closely ranked. Kind of like the teams drafting top 3 in 2009, were so high on all of Tavares/Hedman/Duchene.

DaveG 04-07-2013 02:57 PM

Really don't see the team that lands the pick (whether #1,#2, or #3) in this draft trading it. Would likely have to include multiple future firsts including another top 5 pick in this years draft. In fact I'd say I could see the top 3 swapping with eachother pretty easily, and everyone else not even getting their calls picked up.

Pierce Hawthorne 04-07-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts (Post 63499065)
JVR-MacKinnon-Kessel
Kulemin-Kadri-Lupul
MacArthur-Bozak-Frattin

That wouldn't get you close to a Top 3 pick..... Seriously not even close.

Stop Winnin 04-07-2013 02:59 PM

Only thing that would make teams consider trading a top 3 pick away in this draft is ridiculous overpayment. Gardiner and a 1st isn't that.

Mike Jones 04-07-2013 02:59 PM

Unless you hear from MacKinnon's agent claiming that his player won't report you keep the pick and chose MacKinnon.

Even if he did refuse to report I think I'd still make the pick and trade him when I absolutely have no other choice. My hunch is that a 20 year old NHL-ready MacKinnon is more valuable than an 18 year old version.

But if you do have to trade the pick I'd expect that you'd have to have at least 5-6 majour assets on the table in order for it to work. I don't know if the Islanders would have those kinds of players around. Maybe 2 first round picks, 2 top prospects and a couple of roster players?

HockeyThoughts 04-07-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne (Post 63499177)
That wouldn't get you close to a Top 3 pick..... Seriously not even close.

Young dynamic top 4 defenseman with top pairing potential and 16th-25th pick in the NHL Draft. Yeah, we'd probably have to add something but I don't see how it wouldn't get us close.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop Winnin (Post 63499283)
Only thing that would make teams consider trading a top 3 pick away in this draft is ridiculous overpayment. Gardiner and a 1st isn't that.

I agree. It isn't ridiculous overpayment. I was more trying to gauge what would be fair value.

Trafalgar Law 04-07-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts (Post 63499065)
JVR-MacKinnon-Kessel
Kulemin-Kadri-Lupul
MacArthur-Bozak-Frattin

More like 1st+Morgan Reilly

LeHabsMan 04-07-2013 03:01 PM

Is it 1st overall with Seth Jones and Jonathan Drouin still available? 2nd overall, 3rd overall?

Lets say Florida gets the 2nd overall pick and Colorado drafted Seth Jones 1st.

To Isles:
-Nathan MacKinnon(even though in this scenario I would say trade with Calgary for 3rd overall and take Drouin).

To Panthers:
-1st round pick(right now 16th overall)
-Nino Niederreiter
-Calvin DeHaan
-depth player

I may be way off. I guess it depends how highly the teams regard MacKinnon. This seems like a lot to me since it is pretty much a 16th overall pick, 5th overall pick, 12 overall pick and a depth player for the 2nd overall pick.

Im sure people will say it is worth way more though.

CREW99AW 04-07-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Jones (Post 63499307)
Unless you hear from MacKinnon's agent claiming that his player won't report you keep the pick and chose MacKinnon.

Even if he did refuse to report I think I'd still make the pick and trade him when I absolutely have no other choice. My hunch is that a 20 year old NHL-ready MacKinnon is more valuable than an 18 year old version.

But if you do have to trade the pick I'd expect that you'd have to have at least 5-6 majour assets on the table in order for it to work. I don't know if the Islanders would have those kinds of players around. Maybe 2 first round picks, 2 top prospects and a couple of roster players?

I thought MacKinnon was a potential franchise player.

I hadn't realized he was a generational talent, like Crosby.

Mike Jones 04-07-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djp (Post 63498923)
I think in the LeCavalier year Tampa Bay was offered 4 1sts......it got turned down.

Didn't the Islanders offer all their picks in one draft for the first overall? I think that got laughed out of the park.

zeus3007* 04-07-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts (Post 63499365)
Young dynamic top 4 defenseman with top pairing potential and 16th-25th pick in the NHL Draft. Yeah, we'd probably have to add something but I don't see how it wouldn't get us close.

Look closer then. If you could draft MacKinnon, would you take a late draft pick and a skilled but inconsistent defenseman for him? No. MacKinnon is a potential franchise player. Those don't get traded for one good player and a late first. You'd need to add another serious piece to even get consideration.

megajake 04-07-2013 03:03 PM

Strome
1st in 13

Freudian 04-07-2013 03:03 PM

Perhaps Strome + Islanders 1st, if the team that has the MacKinnon pick likes Strome a lot.

zeus3007* 04-07-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Jones (Post 63499491)
Didn't the Islanders offer all their picks in one draft for the first overall? I think that got laughed out of the park.

Wasn't it the 2nd overall last year?

Mike Jones 04-07-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CREW99AW (Post 63499429)

A franchise player is still a primary asset to add to your team. If another team wants it one would think they'd have to pay big-time for it.

Mike Jones 04-07-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeus3007 (Post 63499663)
Wasn't it the 2nd overall last year?

Might have been - yeah.

CREW99AW 04-07-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Jones (Post 63499491)

Columbus beat writer says the isles offered all their 2012 picks for Columbus #1, which was I think 2nd overall.

The NY Post denies it happened.

Some fans have speculated over where Snow wanted Murray or if he wanted Columbus pick, only if Nail were still on the board.

HockeyThoughts 04-07-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CREW99AW (Post 63499429)

I don't think many seriously consider him to be a generational talent. He may even fall to 3rd overall in this upcoming NHL Entry Draft if a team favours Seth Jones and Jonathan Drouin -- Two equally talented prospects, over Nathan MacKinnon.

No doubt about it though, he has all the makings of a potential franchise player. Any team drafting top 3 or even top 10 is in for a very good player.