HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Gaborik vs. Nash (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1398433)

chosen 04-07-2013 07:25 PM

Gaborik vs. Nash
 
Anyone left who still believes that Gaborik is a better hockey player than Nash?

Vickers8 04-07-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chosen (Post 63515487)
Anyone left who still believes that Gaborik is a better hockey player than Nash?

Not me...confident that by the time Nash is done with us, he will be one of our alltime greats

JohnC 04-07-2013 07:27 PM

It depends.

Goal scorer? Gabs

All around hockey player? I'd say Nash

Kahuna Nanu 04-07-2013 07:29 PM

Gaborik was once a better finisher.

He seems to have lost the snap in his shot.

Nash is superior in nearly all facets, if not every single one, at this point. I've been touting Nash over Gaborik since the discussion came up. He is, simply put, a more effective player than Gaborik.

Panfork 04-07-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenith (Post 63515933)
Gaborik was once a better finisher.

He seems to have lost the snap in his shot.

Nash is superior in nearly all facets, if not every single one, at this point. I've been touting Nash over Gaborik since the discussion came up. He is, simply put, a more effective player than Gaborik.

This. Gaborik's shot at its best is better then Nash's. Gaborik's ability to get his shot off from anywhere, again, at its best, is better then Nash's. Everything else? I think Nash has the upper hand.

People on this board seem to really give Nash heat for completely ignoring defense, but there have been quite a few situations where Nash has come back to backcheck and made a good play. He's definitely been more useful on the forecheck/backcheck than Gaborik ever was.

Swept In Seven 04-07-2013 07:34 PM

Nash is an gamebreaking impact player. Gaborik is a a terrific goal scorer who was slumping big time. I'd say Gabby is more naturally gifted goal scoring wise, but Nash is the overall better player.

Kershaw 04-07-2013 07:46 PM

Why not bo... :(

Well based on this season, it's really a no brainer. Nash seemed to be on another tier. Still think Gaborik's first season as a NYR was better than Nash currently. We'll see what happens in the future.

Amazing Kreiderman 04-07-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcman (Post 63515743)
It depends.

Goal scorer? Gabs

All around hockey player? I'd say Nash

I feel Nash creates more than Gaborik. However, it's not relevant since the 2 are not comparable.

1 is a playmaker, the other is a sniper. Nash has years left on his contract, Gaborik will be UFA in 2014. Nash is 3 years younger.

Cake or Death 04-07-2013 08:11 PM

Not sure why a guy who gave us some excellent scoring, played hurt for us, and is no longer here, can't just leave in peace.

NYRCSKA* 04-07-2013 08:14 PM

Gaborik was a great pure goal scorer and a deadly sniper. Unfortunately, after the shoulder injury, I doubt he will ever be the same. That's a rough injury for anyone to come back from, and you are never 100%. Plenty of pitchers in baseball have seen their careers come to an end because of it. You never really get full mobility back in your shoulder.

Thirty One 04-07-2013 08:17 PM

Never have.

Green Blob* 04-07-2013 08:24 PM

Gabbys shot hasnt been the same since his latest should surgery in the offseason.

slickjay 04-07-2013 08:26 PM

This isn't even a discussion. Gaborik was a ghost this season. He feasts on weak teams and scores a lot of easy goals. He can't create his own offense because he's terrified to use his own speed and can't beat anyone 1 on 1. He is extremely overrated at this stage of his career. He's not a franchise player but will still score a bunch of goals with his shot and being in the right spots at the right time.

Nash on the other hand is the centre of the offense. He can create 1 on 1, hell even 1 on 3. He has confidence to try to make a play for himself and often does. Add to that his playmaking skills and its not even close. The only time he bothers me is when he gets up sluggish and doesn't look too keen on getting back and blocking shots. There's an argument that says he shouldn't be doing much of either, and Gaborik certainly isn't any better. Gaborik taking the puck from Lundqvist and turning it over against Washington leading to the overtime winner is engrained in my mind.

Riverdale 04-07-2013 08:28 PM

They play completely different styles of hockey. Why is this a question?

qwertyaas 04-07-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Blob (Post 63520531)
Gabbys shot hasnt been the same since his latest should surgery in the offseason.

Feel the same. He doesn't have the release he used to have.

Jabroni 04-07-2013 08:36 PM

Gaby is the better goal scorer, Nash is the better overall player.

Vickers8 04-07-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slickjay (Post 63520787)
This isn't even a discussion. Gaborik was a ghost this season. He feasts on weak teams and scores a lot of easy goals. He can't create his own offense because he's terrified to use his own speed and can't beat anyone 1 on 1. He is extremely overrated at this stage of his career. He's not a franchise player but will still score a bunch of goals with his shot and being in the right spots at the right time.

Nash on the other hand is the centre of the offense. He can create 1 on 1, hell even 1 on 3. He has confidence to try to make a play for himself and often does. Add to that his playmaking skills and its not even close. The only time he bothers me is when he gets up sluggish and doesn't look too keen on getting back and blocking shots. There's an argument that says he shouldn't be doing much of either, and Gaborik certainly isn't any better. Gaborik taking the puck from Lundqvist and turning it over against Washington leading to the overtime winner is engrained in my mind.

My favorite was the Craps game where he played with Cally and Steps, cally and Steps won about 5 scrums and literally kept the puck down low for about 40 seconds, Steps passes it to Gabby who sends a pass to Carllsson who passes ahead for a 2 on 1 and Hank saves Gabby

Lerb 04-07-2013 09:10 PM

Goal Scorer* is Gaborik
All around is Nash

*has to be set up with opportunities from line mates, experiences slumps, cannot dictate the game on his own.

To continue with my food analogies that so many people are objecting to, Gaborik is like bacon and Nash is pork chops. As good as bacon is, it's not enough to be center of an entire meal and you certainly can't expect to have it meal after meal after meal. Nash on the other hand gives less of a hit of taste up front, he can show up every night and be the center ingredient in the dish and can show up and be more versatile and do different things on different nights and accommodate the other ingredients on the plate to form the most balanced dish.

Killem Dafoe 04-07-2013 09:13 PM

Nash is just a more dynamic player. In years past, Gaborik had great speed and a killer wrist shot, although we didn't see much of that this

season. In general, Nash has the upper hand because of his all around play, and let's face it, he's got a tote bag full of moves that Gaborik just

doesn't.

BlueshirtBlitz 04-07-2013 09:13 PM

Lets see if Nash can do what Gabby did in two full seasons here.

If Nash can put up 82+ points, he wins me over.

Until then, Gabby's first season with us has him as the better NYR. If that 09-10 Gaborik was playing with this team, even sans Nash, we'd be juggernauts.

The Gloaming 04-07-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCresty (Post 63524581)
Goal Scorer* is Gaborik
All around is Nash

*has to be set up with opportunities from line mates, experiences slumps, cannot dictate the game on his own.

To continue with my food analogies that so many people are objecting to, Gaborik is like bacon and Nash is pork chops. As good as bacon is, it's not enough to be center of an entire meal and you certainly can't expect to have it meal after meal after meal. Nash on the other hand gives less of a hit of taste up front, he can show up every night and be the center ingredient in the dish and can show up and be more versatile and do different things on different nights and accommodate the other ingredients on the plate to form the most balanced dish.

Yes! I love your metaphors, I really do. I'd say it's a pretty good comparison. Gabby was very streaky, and was a frustrating player at times.

Steve Kournianos 04-07-2013 09:28 PM

Gaborik has had the better career.

Green Blob* 04-07-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz (Post 63524821)
Lets see if Nash can do what Gabby did in two full seasons here.

If Nash can put up 82+ points, he wins me over.

Until then, Gabby's first season with us has him as the better NYR. If that 09-10 Gaborik was playing with this team, even sans Nash, we'd be juggernauts.

We are comparing them both now though right?

Right now Nash > Gaborik.

Comparing Gaborik in his prime season to Nash at the moment doesn't make sense since Gaborik isn't 28 anymore.

Green Blob* 04-07-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWOW (Post 63526133)
Gaborik has had the better career.

Well I'd hope so when you compare the teams both of them have played on.

BlueshirtBlitz 04-07-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Blob (Post 63526197)
We are comparing them both now though right?

Right now Nash > Gaborik.

Comparing Gaborik in his prime season to Nash at the moment doesn't make sense since Gaborik isn't 28 anymore.

Are we? A lot of people often try and paint the argument in a way that insinuates Nash has been better than Gabby from the beginning of their careers, which I disagree with.

This season it's a no brainer. But if you look back on last season Gabby was the better player even that recently.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.