HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Pierre McGuire on Subban for Sochi (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1399169)

Habs Icing 04-08-2013 05:32 PM

Pierre McGuire on Subban for Sochi

On TSN 690 Pierre McGuire just mentioned that he has been in contact with some of the people on the selection staff for Team Canada and it sounded like P.K. is as close to a shoe-in as you can get. It sounded like the only way for P.K. to be removed would be for him to crap the bed.

Habsawce 04-08-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onice (Post 63567317)
On TSN 690 Pierre McGuire just mentioned that he has been in contact with some of the people on the selection staff for Team Canada and it sounded like P.K. is as close to a shoe-in as you can get. It sounded like the only way for P.K. to be removed would be for him to crap the bed.

No surprise, give him the "C" if you really want to stir up some emotions!

WhiskeySeven 04-08-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onice (Post 63567317)

Knowing how incompetent Yzerman has proven to be, I'm not counting my eggs before they hatch for either Price or Subban.

MJG 04-08-2013 05:37 PM

Makes sense. He's been downright dominant. He's also an incredible skater and should excel on the larger ice surface.

Son Oncle Jerry 04-08-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven (Post 63567477)
Knowing how incompetent Yzerman has proven to be, I'm not counting my eggs before they hatch for either Price or Subban.

This. The guy is a horrible GM. Quite frankly, he was lucky in 2010 to have the best player in the world playing for him.

A LOT of WTF picks, such as Patrice Bergeron.

Eb 04-08-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven (Post 63567477)

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiggsBozon (Post 63567567)
This. The guy is a horrible GM. Quite frankly, he was lucky in 2010 to have the best player in the world playing for him.

Lmao, a Gold Medal isn't enough to prove he is qualified?

As for the Patrice Beregon pick. He helped in critical moments when a face-off was needed. It's not about selecting the overall most skillful players, but you need to select certain role players. Which is what Yzerman did.

As for the topic at hand, I'd love to see PK on the team. Hell of a talent.

DogsFan* 04-08-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

... Bergeron was a huge help in the faceoff dot. He took most D-zone draws. Just because he's a Bruin, doesn't mean he sucks.

radicalcenter 04-08-2013 05:46 PM

With Price and Subban possibly on team Canada, when was the last time we had two Habs players on this team?

Captain Wolverine 04-08-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DogsFan (Post 63567659)
... Bergeron was a huge help in the faceoff dot. He took most D-zone draws. Just because he's a Bruin, doesn't mean he sucks.

He's ideal as a 4th line center/13th forward. He's a great two-way player and a wizard at face-offs. Some questionable picks, but IMO Bergeron wasn't one of them.

Demon Wolf 04-08-2013 05:51 PM

How is picking Bergeron controversial? Now, he's one of the enemy but he's one of the best defensive forwards there is and he is a master in the faceoff circle.

You don't win championships by choosing four lines of offensive wizards. You need role players.

Marc the Habs Fan 04-08-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick16 (Post 63567809)
With Price and Subban possibly on team Canada, when was the last time we had two Habs players on this team?

Corson was the only one in 1998.

Subban's big competition is Doughty-Letang-Pietrangelo. All righty D's who are offensively gifted and play in all situations. He has to outperform 1, if not 2 of them before the team is named.

Jay Wolf 04-08-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Bruin or not, Bergeron is one of the smartest, most dependable players in the league. In what universe is he a WTF pick?

I'd take Patty B on my team any day of the week and twice on Sunday!!

Son Oncle Jerry 04-08-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DogsFan (Post 63567659)

Where did I say Bergeron sucked? Still, there's a difference between being a fine two-way player and being a starter at C, probably the deepest position on the best hockey team in the world. This was a WTF pick then, and odds are Bergeron will not be a starter this time. Too many better guys out there.

Come and tell me he deserves to start before Stamkos, Tavares, Toews, Thornton, Staal and Getzlaf.

AH 04-08-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan (Post 63568051)

Subban's big competition is Doughty-Letang-Pietrangelo. All righty D's who are offensively gifted and play in all situations. He has to outperform 1, if not 2 of them before the team is named.

Weber?

Habs Icing 04-08-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwolf (Post 63568061)
Bruin or not, Bergeron is one of the smartest, most dependable players in the league. In what universe is he a WTF pick?

I'd take Patty B on my team any day of the week and twice on Sunday!!

This. And he's one of the few players I respect on that team.

MonkeyBusiness 04-08-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Shea Weber is a lock.

417 04-08-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

No disrespect to Letang, but Subban is a better defensman than him

And at Subban current rate of progression, he'll be better than both Doughty and Pietrangelo

Analyzer* 04-08-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiggsBozon (Post 63568183)
Where did I say Bergeron sucked? Still, there's a difference between being a fine two-way player and being a starter at C, probably the deepest position on the best hockey team in the world. This was a WTF pick then, and odds are Bergeron will not be a starter this time. Too many better guys out there.

Come and tell me he deserves to start before Stamkos, Tavares, Toews, Thornton, Staal and Getzlaf.

For the bottom 6 role and the shutdown role Bergeron is more qualified than all of those centres.

Bergeron is a great centre.

Habsawce 04-08-2013 06:30 PM

Seabrook won't make it again, you can count on that and Neidermeyer is done. Was Pronger on the team, I can't remember?

I'd have to go with:

Weber-Doughty
Keith-Pietrangelo
Subban-Letang
Staal/Giordano

Marc the Habs Fan 04-08-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AH (Post 63568285)
Weber?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness (Post 63568499)
Shea Weber is a lock.

Yes, I have Weber as a lock. Which leaves 2 or 3 spots for the Subban/Doughty/Piet/Letang group to complete the right side of the D (1 could be the 7th).

Quote:

Originally Posted by 417 (Post 63569267)
No disrespect to Letang, but Subban is a better defensman than him

Normand Flynn thinks Letang is waaaay better. :laugh:

coolasprICE 04-08-2013 06:32 PM

I'd like to see him develop and do a bit more time in Hamilton

SB164 04-08-2013 06:34 PM

Does nobody else remember Bergeron taking faceoffs and skating back to the bench quickly for a change? He's a great player, but in 2010, he was severely hampered by injuries. He definitely seemed out of his element alongside the top players in the world. In 2010, he was a liability more often than not. But a healthy Bergeron in 2014 is basically a shoe-in for the 4th line centre position.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan (Post 63569637)
Normand Flynn thinks

Lolwut.

Halifaxhab* 04-08-2013 06:35 PM

To me Subban is a shoo-in for 2nd pairing. Keith should be a guarantee

Keith-Weber
X - Subban

Id hold my final choices until November

Le Tricolore 04-08-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Didn't Recchi replace an injured Rob Zamuner?

CrazyShea 04-08-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiggsBozon (Post 63568183)

I agree with you. He's good but is not good enough to be on Team Canada and never was. Don't give me that crap with the chemistry he has with Crosby either.