HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Who should the 2nd buyout be? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1399273)

MuckOG 04-08-2013 07:23 PM

Who should the 2nd buyout be?
 
Under the terms of the new CBA, each team has the opportunity to buy out two contracts between now and the end of next season. Assuming Heatley will be one of them, who would you propose be the other? And why?

TaLoN 04-08-2013 07:29 PM

Brodziak, I think his play this year speaks for itself.

NHLPodium 04-08-2013 07:29 PM

Suter :sarcasm:


Gilbert imo

GMAN23 04-08-2013 07:33 PM

Hardings not an opinion?

MuckOG 04-08-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN23 (Post 63578727)
Hardings not an opinion?

I thought about adding him as a selection after the fact but I can't figure out how to do that...I think the Wild will probably keep him on LTIR. But you can select 'Other' and state why you think Harding should be the 2nd one.

TheeNorthStar 04-08-2013 07:37 PM

Harding. No explanation needed when its already self explanatory.

If they keep him in LTIR, then... idk who. Brodzi..?

TaLoN 04-08-2013 07:37 PM

I'm not convinced they buyout Harding anyway.

Wild48 04-08-2013 07:37 PM

I think it's Harding. The Wild are going to want to re-sign Backstrom and they can only afford to pay one.

It's a really tough way to look at a guy who is battling through a lot, but the Wild are trying to win a cup not operate a charity org. I wish Harding the best of luck, but if I had to pick one between Backs and Harding next year, I go Backstrom all the way.

TaLoN 04-08-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild48 (Post 63579169)
I think it's Harding. The Wild are going to want to re-sign Backstrom and they can only afford to pay one.

It's a really tough way to look at a guy who is battling through a lot, but the Wild are trying to win a cup not operate a charity org. I wish Harding the best of luck, but if I had to pick one between Backs and Harding next year, I go Backstrom all the way.

Not sure why you think we can afford only one...Backstrom is getting a huge paycut when he's re-signed. We can afford both just fine.

MuckOG 04-08-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaLoN (Post 63579675)
Not sure why you think we can afford only one...Backstrom is getting a huge paycut when he's re-signed. We can afford both just fine.

I think they keep Harding for two reasons:

1) He is good.

2) If he can't play, they can put him on LTIR, continue to let him work things out and not have the cap hit. The Wild have shown they care about their guys, and this would seem like the right thing to do.

Wild48 04-08-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaLoN (Post 63579675)
Not sure why you think we can afford only one...Backstrom is getting a huge paycut when he's re-signed. We can afford both just fine.

2 million for a backup when they can pay Kuemper way less?

1.2 ish million of cap space for a guy who you really can't rely on can mean the difference in getting Backstrom to stay. He may be overpaid now, but his paycut isn't gonna be as big as we'd like because of his run this year... especially if the Wild make any noise in the playoffs.

Wild48 04-08-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuckOG (Post 63580137)
I think they keep Harding for two reasons:

1) He is good.

2) If he can't play, they can put him on LTIR, continue to let him work things about and not have the cap hit. The Wild have shown they care about their guys, and this would seem like the right thing to do.

He WAS good. he's essentially been out of hockey for an entire season... Goalies are not served well by time off. We don't know if he'll ever be back.

Kuemper is not THAT much of a downgrade... especially for the difference in cash.

Also, wouldn't buying him out, essentially paying his deal and letting him move on to a team that has an easier role for him (I think he'd sign with a non-contender) be a better outcome for him?

Avder 04-08-2013 07:48 PM

Voted Brodziak. I can see them LTIR'ing Harding so he gets paid and the Wild don't suffer a cap hit. The Wild seem to care like that.

Brodziak has been terrible this year.

Seto has shown that he is lethal when he has chemistry with a linemate, and Gilbert is probably just off his game. Stoner is terrible, but he's also cheap. If we want to get rid of him we probably just waive him and if he clears stash him in the minors. Not worth a compliance buyout.

TaLoN 04-08-2013 07:49 PM

I'll be surprised if Backstrom gets much more than $3 mil.

Wild48 04-08-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avder (Post 63580455)
Voted Brodziak. I can see them LTIR'ing Harding so he gets paid and the Wild don't suffer a cap hit. The Wild seem to care like that.

Brodziak has been terrible this year.

Seto has shown that he is lethal when he has chemistry with a linemate, and Gilbert is probably just off his game. Stoner is terrible, but he's also cheap. If we want to get rid of him we probably just waive him and if he clears stash him in the minors. Not worth a compliance buyout.

Can Cullen play a 3rd center role? The Wild don't really have a good option to step in on a checking line now that Larsson is in Buffalo.

I think Brodziak sticks around because the Wild seemed to value him highly last year, and may view this year as an aberration

Wild48 04-08-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaLoN (Post 63580507)
I'll be surprised if Backstrom gets much more than $3 mil.

I'd be surprised if he gets less than 2 years 8 million

MuckOG 04-08-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild48 (Post 63580699)
Can Cullen play a 3rd center role? The Wild don't really have a good option to step in on a checking line now that Larsson is in Buffalo.

I think Brodziak sticks around because the Wild seemed to value him highly last year, and may view this year as an aberration

I think so...and I'd think he'd excel. Very responsible defensively.

TaLoN 04-08-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild48 (Post 63580699)
Can Cullen play a 3rd center role? The Wild don't really have a good option to step in on a checking line now that Larsson is in Buffalo.

I think Brodziak sticks around because the Wild seemed to value him highly last year, and may view this year as an aberration

Odd question...that's been Cullen's role for most of his career. He'd be great as the 3rd line center.

Sportserie 04-08-2013 08:01 PM

Brodziak, but Yeo seems in love with him. Maybe I just made that up but he's inserted in key situations a lot and I don't understand it.

He should go.

tyratoku 04-08-2013 08:03 PM

I'd say if anybody it would be Heatley and Harding. And even then I'm not 100% sold on either.

Wild48 04-08-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyratoku (Post 63581785)
I'd say if anybody it would be Heatley and Harding. And even then I'm not 100% sold on either.

Unless someone will trade for Heatley (which i doubt) Heatley is done here.

It's a numbers game... that contract is too big, and if the Wild are gonna make a run at re-signing pomminville they'll need the cap space

D U M B A 04-08-2013 08:10 PM

Harding.

Broadziak actually has trade value.

57special 04-08-2013 08:12 PM

Cullen has been great as a second line center. Why change? If another center comes along and takes the job from him, that's fine, but till that day he should be our second line center. In any event, if we have Zucker, Coyle, Seto, Granlund, Cullen, Brodziak as pieces to make up our second and third lines then we'll be in good shape. Coyle and Brodzial provide the Beef, Zucker and Seto the speed and goal scoring, Cullen and Granlund the playmaking.

This would put Clutter, Mitchell and Konopka on the fourth line, with Rupp thrown in as needed.

Sounds like a pretty good forward group to me.

D is kind of scaring me, though.


Heatley must go. Brodz stays. Gilbert stays. Seto stays. Stoner stays.

TaLoN 04-08-2013 08:13 PM

The Pominville trade was the writing on the wall that Heatley's getting bought out. That much is clear.

I think it's far more likely the 2nd buyout goes unused than used. I'd just choose Brodziak if anyone.

OpRedDawn* 04-08-2013 08:37 PM

there would be no reason to buyout anybody besides heater or hards


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.