HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   News Article: Don't boo the rookies (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1399577)

RazielMoshman 04-09-2013 04:45 AM

Don't boo the rookies
 
http://sabrenoise.com/2013/04/08/don...abres-rookies/

It's an excellent article, puts a few things in perspective. Not sure where to put this but if it should have been put in another thread apologies.

CrankyJay 04-09-2013 05:45 AM

Then don't mix the rookies with vets? :laugh:

How do you directionally boo?

aceface33 04-09-2013 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrankyJay (Post 63608171)
Then don't mix the rookies with vets? :laugh:

How do you directionally boo?

In the article it says the worst booing happened when the Flynn-Porter-Adam line was hemmed in their zone.

I kind of agree with what the author is saying- the Sabres are shipping out the vets we hated, I think the rookies deserve some support through their growing pains.

Shmuffalo 04-09-2013 07:16 AM

I think the booing in general should stop. It's pretty embarrassing to boo your own team.

sabrefan27 04-09-2013 07:17 AM

Porter is a veteran player and Adam is no rookie. I'm glad they got booed. Hell, Adam should be used to the heckling from Rochester.

Tim Murray 04-09-2013 07:39 AM

We have the youngest team in the league. We shouldn't be booing them, period.

Send your hate in an email to Darcy, where it belongs, if you must.

sabrefan27 04-09-2013 07:43 AM

Oldest or youngest team in the league, they're still professionals at the highest level. Fans have every right to boo. And why does anyone care what another fan chooses to do at the game? They paid for a ticket, it's their right.

Tim Murray 04-09-2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabrefan27 (Post 63609763)
Oldest or youngest team in the league, they're still professionals at the highest level. Fans have every right to boo. And why does anyone care what another fan chooses to do at the game? They paid for a ticket, it's their right.

I'm not saying they don't have the right to boo, I just don't think it's the correct thing to do and I'm saying so.

Sabresfansince1980 04-09-2013 08:04 AM

Buffalo has a passionate fan base, no doubt. But it's also fickle, overly negative, and sometimes ignorant of the finer details of the game. Yes, this can be said to some degree about every fan base, and many times it's much worse. Still, constant booing makes me wonder why some fans even go.

HockeyH3aven 04-09-2013 08:07 AM

I agree. They're the youngest team in the NHL, in the early stages of a rebuild. Cut them some slack.

vcv 04-09-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aceface33 (Post 63609179)
In the article it says the worst booing happened when the Flynn-Porter-Adam line was hemmed in their zone.

I kind of agree with what the author is saying- the Sabres are shipping out the vets we hated, I think the rookies deserve some support through their growing pains.

That shift was really, really, really, really, really bad. One of of the worst I've seen.

I'm not much of a booer, but I don't blame people for doing so. It was a prolonged horrid shift and it wasn't relevant who was on the ice.

To counter, the fans gave the team a HUGE cheer in the NJ game when they had an extended forecheck in NJs end of the ice.

stokes84 04-09-2013 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabrefan27 (Post 63609763)
Oldest or youngest team in the league, they're still professionals at the highest level. Fans have every right to boo. And why does anyone care what another fan chooses to do at the game? They paid for a ticket, it's their right.

Because you aren't the only one there and it's annoying and it lessens the experience of other fans that also paid for their ticket that also have the right to enjoy the experience. People who boo suck.

vcv 04-09-2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stokes84 (Post 63610545)
Because you aren't the only one there and it's annoying and it lessens the experience of other fans that also paid for their ticket that also have the right to enjoy the experience. People who boo suck.

How does someone booing a bad shift impact your experience exactly?

BowieSabresFan 04-09-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcv (Post 63610735)
How does someone booing a bad shift impact your experience exactly?

I can see why having to sit/stand there and listen to something you do not agree with can have a bad impact on one's experience.

Not taking a side on the issue, but I can definitely see the viewpoint.

stokes84 04-09-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcv (Post 63610735)
How does someone booing a bad shift impact your experience exactly?

Negativity and bad energy. Nobody wants to be near that guy, and when that guy is in your group, it's embarrassing.

RazielMoshman 04-09-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcv (Post 63610735)
How does someone booing a bad shift impact your experience exactly?

Because it's annoying and distracting.

RazielMoshman 04-09-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabrefan27 (Post 63609763)
Oldest or youngest team in the league, they're still professionals at the highest level. Fans have every right to boo. And why does anyone care what another fan chooses to do at the game? They paid for a ticket, it's their right.

They have the right but if you want a young team don't boo them when they get things wrong, it's idiocy. You can't ask for a rebuild and expect anything but massive losing streaks and poor in game performance. Got a problem with that? Don't go to the games or don't ask for a rebuild, easy.

vcv 04-09-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan (Post 63610885)
I can see why having to sit/stand there and listen to something you do not agree with can have a bad impact on one's experience.

Not taking a side on the issue, but I can definitely see the viewpoint.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stokes84 (Post 63610895)
Negativity and bad energy. Nobody wants to be near that guy, and when that guy is in your group, it's embarrassing.

I can understand if it was constant or excessive booing. Or particularly loud/obnoxious booing.

But a little booing after a particularly rough shift? How can that few seconds really have such a big impact on your experience?

I personally get more annoyed by people behind me SCREAMING, whether its negative or positive. Having someone scream practically in my ear? Really annoying at times. But I get it. That's part of the experience of being at a pro sports game. People enjoy their experience and express themselves in different ways.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RazielMoshman (Post 63610985)
They have the right but if you want a young team don't boo them when they get things wrong, it's idiocy. You can't ask for a rebuild and expect anything but massive losing streaks and poor in game performance. Got a problem with that? Don't go to the games or don't ask for a rebuild, easy.

We're not talking about booing them after the game here, or booing them all game. This is booing a specific shift that was bad. It's not mutually exclusive to boo a bad shift and also be for a rebuild and playing the young guys.

stokes84 04-09-2013 08:37 AM

Defend it all you want, just understand that when you boo, there is a large contingency of people who don't appreciate it and think you look like a jackass.

chadthestampede 04-09-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcv (Post 63611051)
I personally get more annoyed by people behind me SCREAMING, whether its negative or positive. Having someone scream practically in my ear? Really annoying at times. But I get it. That's part of the experience of being at a pro sports game. People enjoy their experience and express themselves in different ways.

One of the last games I went to there was a ~12 year old kid right behind me screeching 'SHOOOOT!!!!' for about 60% of the game. I was seriously contemplating the logistics of throwing him off the 300 level.

I have no problem with people booing a bad shift. I don't really get the mentality that adult millionaires have to be constantly cheered and babied by fans to sustain their fragile egos.

vcv 04-09-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stokes84 (Post 63611253)
Defend it all you want, just understand that when you boo, there is a large contingency of people who don't appreciate it and think you look like a jackass.

Well they need to get over it then.

Hey fans, please cheer us on when we're doing well or need a boost! But don't you DARE express any displeasure in a particular play or shift!

sabrefan27 04-09-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stokes84 (Post 63610545)
Because you aren't the only one there and it's annoying and it lessens the experience of other fans that also paid for their ticket that also have the right to enjoy the experience. People who boo suck.

Quite honestly, that's the dumbest thing I've ever read. I hear stupid people near me talk about hockey like they're experts, when in reality, they couldn't even explain what offsides is. That'a annoying too. They still have every right to talk like experts. Kids yelling and screaming is annoying too. But it's a sporting event. Tough.

If booing ruins your experience, you have some very thin skin.

sabrefan27 04-09-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RazielMoshman (Post 63610985)
They have the right but if you want a young team don't boo them when they get things wrong, it's idiocy. You can't ask for a rebuild and expect anything but massive losing streaks and poor in game performance. Got a problem with that? Don't go to the games or don't ask for a rebuild, easy.

Again, young doesn't mean anything to me so stop mentioning it. They're still pros at the NHL level. They going to get booed if they don't perform. Period. Whether they're 20 or 35. It's part of the business. Deal with it.

Chainshot 04-09-2013 09:05 AM

Ott was just on GR, riffing on just this very topic. :biglaugh:

Tim Murray 04-09-2013 09:09 AM

A thought: when the Sabres aren't playing well, maybe a little cheering-on might help.

Unless we're saying cheering shouldn't have any effect because they are pros, in which case what do we think booing does?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.