HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Chicago Blackhawks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Chicago's 2012-13 MVP (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1399595)

HockeySensible 04-09-2013 06:41 AM

Chicago's 2012-13 MVP

Who has been Chicago's MVP this season? Obviously there's still some time left this season, just want to see if there's much of a consensus at this point.

Sir Psycho T 04-09-2013 06:56 AM

I am going off the board here, Hammer. Kane and Toews are the obvious choices but they aren't doing anything that isn't expected of them. To me Hammer has been the biggest difference in this team, he has been the teams best and most consistent defender. He is chipping in points while being solid on the back end in 5v5 and PK situations and has made huge plays many times this year.

Chelios 04-09-2013 07:07 AM

Voting as of today Kane edges out Toews for the nod. However, if Toews continues his hot streak offensively he may be my vote at the end of the season.

Chelios 04-09-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T (Post 63608913)
I am going off the board here, Hammer. Kane and Toews are the obvious choices but they aren't doing anything that isn't expected of them. To me Hammer has been the biggest difference in this team, he has been the teams best and most consistent defender. He is chipping in points while being solid on the back end in 5v5 and PK situations and has made huge plays many times this year.

While Hjammer was dynamite to start the season, he has been good but not great for the last 20 games or so. Keith has been the better defenseman this year pretty easily.

xX Hot Fuss 04-09-2013 08:20 AM

Voted Handzus for obvious reasons

DisgruntledHawkFan 04-09-2013 08:36 AM

Just wait and see who wins the Conne Smythe then we will know.

ChiGuySez 04-09-2013 08:44 AM

Voted for Kane but Emery @ 14-1 is worthy of consideration and of course Toews. Hjalmarsson is also worthy of consideration.

madgoat33 04-09-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chelios (Post 63609069)
Voting as of today Kane edges out Toews for the nod. However, if Toews continues his hot streak offensively he may be my vote at the end of the season.

if you caught any of the game sunday, it was pretty clear kane would have even more pts this year if he hadn't been stuck on the second line. hossa and kane got switched and next thing you know, first line went from playing well to absolutely dominating and scored 2 goals. meanwhile, the second line basically disappeared even with hossa on it. he's also been on a second pp unit that doesn't get as much ice time.

Hawkaholic 04-09-2013 09:06 AM

It's always Toews.

Ace Rothstein 04-09-2013 09:09 AM

Toews or Kane, doesn't really matter as both have been outstanding.

darklcd 04-09-2013 10:02 AM

Kane has been amazing on a sub-par second line but I still have to give it to Toews. He's only 6 points off of Kane, 61% FO wins, one of the best two-way players/PKers in the league, and he should help Saad to a Calder, but that remains to be seen.

I just think if you took Toews or Kane off the team we would be a much worse team without Toews.

digdug41982 04-09-2013 10:07 AM

Toews is the main reason we are in the playoffs, Kane is the main reason we are in 1st place.

Chelios 04-09-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madgoat33 (Post 63611905)
if you caught any of the game sunday, it was pretty clear kane would have even more pts this year if he hadn't been stuck on the second line. hossa and kane got switched and next thing you know, first line went from playing well to absolutely dominating and scored 2 goals. meanwhile, the second line basically disappeared even with hossa on it. he's also been on a second pp unit that doesn't get as much ice time.

The same could be said of Toews. Both Toews and Kane could have more points had they played together the entire season. Then again, maybe part of the reason they are both playing well is that having them on 2 separate lines makes it difficult for the opposition to match up against them defensively. Also, Kane averages more PP time per game than Toews does.

Sarava 04-09-2013 10:40 AM

I can't imagine considering Toews or anyone else besides Kaner. Kane has played with garbage on his line all season, where Toews has had Hossa and Saad. And Kane has still outproduced him. I realize there's other intangibles and defense, blah, blah blah...but even in those areas Kane is greatly improved.

xX Hot Fuss 04-09-2013 10:48 AM

Kane has the flashier stats and is doing so many things better this year than he ever has. I'll probably be saying the same thing for the rest of their careers but i think in terms of "most valuable" you always go with the guy who scores at nearly a PPG pace, is arguably the best faceoff man in the league, and gives you Selke caliber defense every game.

BronYrAur 04-09-2013 11:02 AM

Kane and Toews are basically dead even for me. Kane has come up with some huge goals this year. He doesn't play in the D zone as well, and I feel like Toews has had a very positive influence on Saad's development, which is a factor.

I like the Hammer mention as well. He has come back so strong this year.

zac 04-09-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chelios (Post 63609157)
While Hjammer was dynamite to start the season, he has been good but not great for the last 20 games or so. Keith has been the better defenseman this year pretty easily.

No.

Over the course of the season Hammer has been our best defender by a fairly wide margin. It's amazing how many overrate Keith's play the first 25 or so games of the season. It wasn't that good and the numbers clearly showed that.

If we're talking the best defenseman over the last 10-12 games, Keith wins that pretty clearly. But that's not nearly enough to make up for his early play. Keith was sleepwalking out there just as much as Seabrook was. For whatever reason Keith decided to become the aggressor and that's made all the difference in his play. It's always been the key for him.

zac 04-09-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T (Post 63608913)

I like that pick. I'd have to say Toews, followed by Kane, but Hammer would be right behind em.

zac 04-09-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarava (Post 63616027)
I can't imagine considering Toews or anyone else besides Kaner. Kane has played with garbage on his line all season, where Toews has had Hossa and Saad. And Kane has still outproduced him. I realize there's other intangibles and defense, blah, blah blah...but even in those areas Kane is greatly improved.

Kane's in zone coverage is basically non-existent, but his neutral zone play going the other way has improved immensely. There's still no excuse for him basically standing there half the time when the puck is in the defensive zone. Kane could still be much more well-rounded and the scary part is I don't think it would require a lot of effort. I also don't think it would hurt his offensive numbers one bit.

zac 04-09-2013 11:10 AM

LMAO...alright...who's the joker that voted for Zeus?:laugh:

HawksTillDeath 04-09-2013 11:23 AM

Kane has carried this team and the 2nd line

His improved defensive play is huge

Honorable mention to:
Toews
Leddy
Saad
Hjalmarsson
Crawford

alot of people when you are the top team in the league

BobbyJet 04-09-2013 11:32 AM

No contest, as far as Iím concerned. Toews, overwhelmingly is our MVP. In fact with Crosby hurt, Iíd say he has a good shot at the Hart trophy. He looks stronger on the puck then ever and I think he is having his best year yet. Then Iíd say Kane over Hossa, and only because Hossa missed some games after a great start, otherwise it could have been real close.

I agree that Hammerís game is a big reason that Hawks are better this year. To a lesser extent, Bickell and what a surprise Saad has been.

Honourable mention to Q for establishing his lines early and then sticking with them. That was a factor in the success of the 1st half - now we need to take advantage of that lead by keeping both goaltenders in game shape and resting (by reducing ice time) the likes of Toews, Keith, Kane, Bickell and StalbergÖ and perhaps a few others who have played a lot of hockey. Most teams donít have that luxury. If we can manage to get past the 1st round having rested players will pay dividends.

Hawkaholic 04-09-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chelios (Post 63609157)

Agreed.

BobbyJet 04-09-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zac (Post 63617473)
Kane's in zone coverage is basically non-existent, but his neutral zone play going the other way has improved immensely. There's still no excuse for him basically standing there half the time when the puck is in the defensive zone. Kane could still be much more well-rounded and the scary part is I don't think it would require a lot of effort. I also don't think it would hurt his offensive numbers one bit.

It probably would bring down his offence somewhat but I think he has proven he can be gritty when he needs to. He just doesn't have the game or the size to bring it all the time. I look for that extra effort away from the puck to show up in the PO's, otherwise teams will take advantage.

ChiGuySez 04-09-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawksTillDeath (Post 63618279)
Kane has carried this team and the 2nd line

His improved defensive play is huge

Honorable mention to:
Toews
Leddy
Saad
Hjalmarsson
Crawford

alot of people when you are the top team in the league

Good call on Leddy. If the worm didnt turn on his d this year, the Hawks defense would have serious problems.