HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   St. Louis Blues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Blues Primary, Cards secondary? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1399605)

HockeyGuy73 04-09-2013 07:27 AM

Blues Primary, Cards secondary?

Who would have thunk it?

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainmen...9c4c4edf4.html

The Cardinals will take a back seat to the Blues on Fox Sports Midwest for a regular-season game tonight, the first time hockey will have priority over baseball on that channel for a regular-season game other than a Blues home finale.

In the St. Louis market, FSM will send the Cardinals-Cincinnati game, at 7:15 p.m., to Fox Sports Midwest Plus — the secondary channel it uses when it has two live events at the same time. The Blues-Nashville game, at 7:05 p.m., will be carried on the normal FSM outlet.

(Outside the St. Louis market and on Fidelity cable in Sullivan, Mo., the Cards will be on the main FSM channel, the Blues on the alternate one.)

Baseball far out performs hockey in the ratings on a regular basis, but the Cardinals are in the early stages of their season and the Blues are in a tight race for a playoff spot with their season winding down and are playing a key rival.

“It’s a good challenge to have — every game being on TV,” Fox Sports Midwest spokesman Geoff Goldman said Monday. “We work with our video provider partners to make both games available to fans in St. Louis, in standard definition and HD. Both teams are playing big games, and we try to achieve a balance in the number of games the Blues and Cardinals play on Fox Sports Midwest and Fox Sports Midwest Plus.”

The next overlap comes Friday night, when the Cardinals are in Milwaukee and the Blues are in Columbus, Ohio. Baseball then will be on FSM’s main channel, hockey on FSM Plus.

After that, there are four more times when the teams are head-to-head before the Blues are done for the regular season. Both teams will appear on the primary outlet twice and on the secondary channel twice in that span.

On radio, KMOX (1120 AM) sends the Blues to KYKY (98.1 FM) for all remaining times when the clubs play simultaneously during hockey’s regular season.

Dolph Ziggler 04-09-2013 08:27 AM

Good. Blues hockey >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cardinals baseball

Fluff Master 04-09-2013 08:57 AM

I heart our Cardinals but not nearly to the extent I do with the Blues. I don't really care about the Cards having tv priority for the most part, I get it that they bring in the higher ratings, St. Louis is mostly a baseball town. As long as the game is being televised is what matters, if not I'm off to find a stream somewhere! So I will take one of these rare occurences and enjoy it! :nod:

Wiems35* 04-09-2013 09:26 AM

Can't blame them after the disgrace of an opening day performance.

bluemandan 04-09-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiems35 (Post 63612731)

What do you mean? The Cards were winning 4-2 when I fell asleep, and that is how I imagine the game ended.... :help:

Seriously, I woke up and heard the score and was like, "WTF?!?" At least the pre-game ceremonies were nice.

intangible 04-09-2013 09:36 AM

You go to a Blues game to watch the Blues. You go to a Cardinals game to relax and drink beer. Therefore, Blues win.

SirPaste 04-09-2013 10:18 AM

Kinda surprising, but this Blues game just means so much more while the Cards are just getting started so its not a total shocker

xX Hot Fuss 04-09-2013 10:21 AM

Hey good for you guys. I was so happy the other night when the Hawks were on CSN and the Bulls were on CSN +

Obviously we all wish it was like this all the time but we'll take whatever small victories we can get!

The Note 04-09-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluemandan (Post 63613043)
What do you mean? The Cards were winning 4-2 when I fell asleep, and that is how I imagine the game ended.... :help:

Seriously, I woke up and heard the score and was like, "WTF?!?" At least the pre-game ceremonies were nice.

Hey a starting shortstop will solve all of this :sarcasm:

TheOrganist 04-09-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirPaste (Post 63614939)
Kinda surprising, but this Blues game just means so much more while the Cards are just getting started so its not a total shocker

Importance of the game or time of season is irrelevant if the team isn't a draw.

But Blues fans continue to bring it in the ratings game. Top 5 all season long in the NHL in terms of regional viewers with some audiences comparable to Cards games. This wouldn't happen if the ratings weren't really strong. Which they are. And FSMW is also probably looking down the road to try and grab some casual fans and further drive up interest in the two series they get during the playoffs.

Brez50 04-09-2013 12:10 PM

I'm glad to see as many games on FSMW because our Comcast doesn't give us the + versions. Given the option tonight between watching my Cincy Reds or my Blues, I'd rather watch the Blues right now.

BrokenFace 04-09-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiems35 (Post 63612731)

Came here to post this

intangible 04-09-2013 04:50 PM

In their defense, the Cardinals did well; it was one player, Boggs, who was terrible, and Rzepczynski didn't help any.

CitizenSnips 04-09-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi (Post 63610915)
Good. Blues hockey >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cardinals baseball

This

Its hard to support a team that wears Detroit red

Celtic Note 04-09-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CitizenSnips (Post 63642257)
This

Its hard to support a team that wears Detroit red

Detroit actually wears Cardinals red. If my belief that the Cards came before the Wings holds water.

Bullwine85 04-09-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi (Post 63610915)

As someone who has a soft spot for the Blues, and doesn't like the Cardinals (Brewers fan), I approve ;)

Chojin 04-09-2013 07:29 PM

Not in Champaign, IL, sadly. Stupid Cardinals.

CitizenSnips 04-09-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celtic Note (Post 63642707)
Detroit actually wears Cardinals red. If my belief that the Cards came before the Wings holds water.

You are actually correct, as I had this conversation with my brother in law the other day

My logic here is hockey is a better sport so no matter who came first, all team colors are based on hockey teams

Brez50 04-10-2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chojin (Post 63645601)
Not in Champaign, IL, sadly. Stupid Cardinals.

Same for Decatur. Hi neighbor!

Bendak 04-10-2013 06:42 PM

I always have viewed baseball games as an excuse to pay for the privilege of getting a sunburn :sarcasm:

Red08 04-11-2013 01:24 PM

This made me happy. I understand it's all about ratings, but the network should be focused on quality of the ratings over quantity. People turn on a hockey game to watch a hockey game, people turn on the baseball game for background noise. I don't follow the Cardinal message boards, but I doubt they ***** about the commercials as much as we do (Pitbull...).

Seriously, I have no idea how somebody could possibly turn on a baseball game and watch it on the TV for 3 straight hours!

bluesfan94 04-11-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red08 (Post 63754807)
This made me happy. I understand it's all about ratings, but the network should be focused on quality of the ratings over quantity. People turn on a hockey game to watch a hockey game, people turn on the baseball game for background noise. I don't follow the Cardinal message boards, but I doubt they ***** about the commercials as much as we do (Pitbull...).

Seriously, I have no idea how somebody could possibly turn on a baseball game and watch it on the TV for 3 straight hours!

It's not that hard. I live outside of Little Rock, AR now, so I don't get the Blues. I'll watch all their games online, still, but I'll also watch the Stars now, as that's who I get. For baseball, however, I get the Rangers, Blues, Royals, and Astros. I'll watch any of those games when they're on. I just like baseball.

Bluesman91 04-11-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesfan94 (Post 63758217)
It's not that hard. I live outside of Little Rock, AR now, so I don't get the Blues. I'll watch all their games online, still, but I'll also watch the Stars now, as that's who I get. For baseball, however, I get the Rangers, Blues, Royals, and Astros. I'll watch any of those games when they're on. I just like baseball.

What's appealing about baseball. No offense to the sport, but to me there is absolutely nothing exciting about watching a baseball game.

-Only sport where the defense has control of the ball/puck
-Only sport where "everyone gets a turn"
-No contact (c'mon you can't call running the catcher once every 100 games contact)
-Unnecessary diving for balls
-Major exaggeration in almost anything they do
-Too slow, one at bat can last 15 minutes
-You don't do much but stand around and wait
-You really don't have to be in good physical condition to play baseball. strength is the most important attribute to have in the game. Hell you can even have people run for you lol.

I don't know. I grew up watching Cardinals games but as I got older it started to bore me more and more. Now I've gotten to the point asking "how can anyone honestly enjoy watching this?"

Bendak 04-11-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red08 (Post 63754807)

That commercial and the amount of times they played it almost drove me to insanity

Bendak 04-11-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluesman91 (Post 63759057)
What's appealing about baseball. No offense to the sport, but to me there is absolutely nothing exciting about watching a baseball game.

-Only sport where the defense has control of the ball/puck
-Only sport where "everyone gets a turn"
-No contact (c'mon you can't call running the catcher once every 100 games contact)
-Unnecessary diving for balls
-Major exaggeration in almost anything they do
-Too slow, one at bat can last 15 minutes
-You don't do much but stand around and wait
-You really don't have to be in good physical condition to play baseball. strength is the most important attribute to have in the game. Hell you can even have people run for you lol.

I don't know. I grew up watching Cardinals games but as I got older it started to bore me more and more. Now I've gotten to the point asking "how can anyone honestly enjoy watching this?"

Once to get under my roommates skin, I made the assertion that being a Nascar driver took more physical endurance than to be a baseball player :) The QQ was epic lol