HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Winnipeg Jets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Illegal Curve - TSN 1290: Dustin Byfuglien and the Trade Market (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1399733)

ICdave 04-09-2013 11:11 AM

Dustin Byfuglien and the Trade Market

Dustin Byfuglien is probably the most polarizing member of the Winnipeg Jets. Talk to three people any day of the week and you are likely to receive three different opinions on what the Jets should do with Dustin Byfuglien.

http://illegalcurve.com/wp-content/u...wm-300x202.jpg

Byfuglien is a talented player—no one really debates that. He can shoot, he can pass and he can play a versatile game. Few players in the NHL are able to play both forward and defense and have a significant impact on the game while employed at both positions.

Dustin Byfuglien played first line right wing on the 2010 Stanley Cup champion Blackhawks. He then played defense on the Atlanta Thrashers well enough to earn an All Star nomination.

The issues with Byfuglien are well known. He is lazy defensively, generally cannot keep his weight under control and is difficult to coach.

With Jacob Trouba on the horizon, the Jets organization has options on its hands; with options comes decisions.

To read Richard's analysis click here.

As always guys, comments welcome.

viper0220 04-09-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ICdave (Post 63617635)
Dustin Byfuglien is probably the most polarizing member of the Winnipeg Jets. Talk to three people any day of the week and you are likely to receive three different opinions on what the Jets should do with Dustin Byfuglien.

http://illegalcurve.com/wp-content/u...wm-300x202.jpg

Byfuglien is a talented player—no one really debates that. He can shoot, he can pass and he can play a versatile game. Few players in the NHL are able to play both forward and defense and have a significant impact on the game while employed at both positions.

Dustin Byfuglien played first line right wing on the 2010 Stanley Cup champion Blackhawks. He then played defense on the Atlanta Thrashers well enough to earn an All Star nomination.

The issues with Byfuglien are well known. He is lazy defensively, generally cannot keep his weight under control and is difficult to coach.

With Jacob Trouba on the horizon, the Jets organization has options on its hands; with options comes decisions.

To read Richard's analysis click here.

As always guys, comments welcome.

If you are trading buff, then you must make the team that acquires him overpays. Philly had a lot of interest in him and the propsal I have seen that I like is where the Jets get both of the Schenns and Philly gets buff. It solves a couple of problems for the Jets, we get a top 6 forward to play with Kane and a top 5 d- man and depth up front. And in the draft this year you draft a defensemen(with Scheifele in system, another d would be good to draft this year)

Grind 04-09-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper0220 (Post 63618403)
If you are trading buff, then you must make the team that acquires him overpays. Philly had a lot of interest in him and the propsal I have seen that I like is where the Jets get both of the Schenns and Philly gets buff. It solves a couple of problems for the Jets, we get a top 6 forward to play with Kane and a top 5 d- man and depth up front. And in the draft this year you draft a defensemen(with Scheifele in system, another d would be good to draft this year)

does l uke play left side? if so....i'm pretty into that.

viper0220 04-09-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grind (Post 63618451)
does l uke play left side? if so....i'm pretty into that.

I don't know that(hopefully someone fills us in on that). If we trade buff we need a right wing, a top 3 right wing, hopefully that right wing is a nutural right wing.

PerryPooley 04-09-2013 12:04 PM

In my opinion if the organization has any plans to part ways with Buff, they should do it sooner than later. I mean, the rest of the league is surely as well aware as we are of his shortcomings, but it would still be to the team's advantage to deal him before the Jets are in position of desperation.

sully1410 04-09-2013 12:26 PM

He played on the first line? Since when?

AtlantaWhaler 04-09-2013 12:32 PM

While interest in him will be high, I wonder how hard it'll be to get a great return with a $5.2 cap hit when the cap is going down by $6 mil. I can't imagine the Jets would eat any of the salary.

sully1410 04-09-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler (Post 63622061)
While interest in him will be high, I wonder how hard it'll be to get a great return with a $5.2 cap hit when the cap is going down by $6 mil. I can't imagine the Jets would eat any of the salary.

No they wouldn't and they wont have to. That cap hit is very friendly for a player of his caliber.

Puckschmuck* 04-09-2013 12:50 PM

So are we to interpret that, with this article, the Jets are seriously considering trading Buff?

winterpeg 04-09-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler (Post 63622061)

Maybe for Stamkos... :sarcasm:

cheswick 04-09-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puckschmuck (Post 63622967)
So are we to interpret that, with this article, the Jets are seriously considering trading Buff?

Since there have been no reports what soever that the Jets are looking to trade him, I'd say no

AriIQ 04-09-2013 12:59 PM

I'd love to trade Big Buff for Wayne Simmonds, Our team becomes much more balanced with that one move. A centre could also be interesting, as we could move Little to 2nd line RW.

PerryPooley 04-09-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheswick (Post 63623257)
Since there have been no reports what soever that the Jets are looking to trade him, I'd say no

I would hope no steam on this issue (if it is one) becomes public. If the team is to get max return for him, they can't afford to be seen as desperate to dump him.

allan5oh 04-09-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

It's strictly my opinion, but I think they are. I think he would've been traded already if Redmond wasn't injured. It's our only position of strength. It makes a lot of sense.

Huffer 04-09-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

It's probably more for entertainment value than outright speculation that Buff is on the block (after the season). I don't know if IC has the connections inside to know what is going on.

I like the fact that at least they put out Voracek and Simmonds names. As in, we don't need to be happy with lesser players and prospects. I do wonder why after looking at the analysis and seeing that Buff is very similar to Burns that the Buff return is so much less.

Grind 04-09-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffer (Post 63623879)
It's probably more for entertainment value than outright speculation that Buff is on the block (after the season). I don't know if IC has the connections inside to know what is going on.

I like the fact that at least they put out Voracek and Simmonds names. As in, we don't need to be happy with lesser players and prospects. I do wonder why after looking at the analysis and seeing that Buff is very similar to Burns that the Buff return is so much less.

I coudl only guess its a different valuation of the players minnie got for burns (maybe undervaluing Seto as a 35 -40 pt player?) I don't know why otherwise, or putting an unfair negative on buff for defense etc.

Huffer 04-09-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grind (Post 63624957)
I coudl only guess its a different valuation of the players minnie got for burns (maybe undervaluing Seto as a 35 -40 pt player?) I don't know why otherwise, or putting an unfair negative on buff for defense etc.

Probably right Grind. Still seems like a pretty big delta to drop off the pick swap and the top prospect though. Especially when Buff has a contract and Burns did not.

GrandChelems 04-09-2013 02:00 PM

"He can shoot, he can pass and he can play a versatile game. Few players in the NHL are able to play both forward and defense and have a significant impact on the game while employed at both positions."

Exactly.

BrokerD 04-09-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

I have to admit I am getting tired of Buff's lack luster play.... I would not mind letting him underachieve for another team if it meant getting a player that would truly help in putting the puck in the net. He is a 'special player' which should garner some interest and hopefully improve our team in the long run.

Whileee 04-09-2013 02:59 PM

I would be very reluctant to trade Buff. He is one of the few players on the Jets that I think can go to the next level needed to take a long run in the playoffs. Does he sometimes seem distracted and disinterested during the season? Maybe, but I've mostly seen that lately this year after Noel started coaching him like a PeeWee. Otherwise, I think his shortcoming is only really in conditioning. The Jets should determine whether they can work with Buff on that.

BrokerD 04-09-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whileee (Post 63629981)
I think his shortcoming is only really in conditioning. The Jets should determine whether they can work with Buff on that.

IMO his conditioning is the reason he is injury prone. If you watch Buff closely, he spends a lot of time standing in one spot--pivoting, not skating (which is why he can log the big minutes).

His conditioning is why I get so frustrated with him--like everyone else I can only imagine how good he would be if he took his conditioning seriously. Unfortunately, you can only do so much for a player.... and Buff is Buff :help:

EpicGingy 04-09-2013 03:21 PM

If a trade got a fair value, or overpayment by the other team, I'd be all for it.

It's clear we don't have the right pieces together, and a little shake up on defence, while acquiring a forward, would be a step in the right direction if the players we got were right.

Resurrection 04-09-2013 03:34 PM

I think buff would be great trade bait. I love him but he's fat, unmotivated a lot, and sets a bad example. He would get us a kings ransom in return and in all honesty we would probably improve just by removing him, nevermind what we get back.

Channelcat 04-09-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Resurrection (Post 63631615)
I think buff would be great trade bait. I love him but he's fat, unmotivated a lot, and sets a bad example. He would get us a kings ransom in return and in all honesty we would probably improve just by removing him, nevermind what we get back.

Thats the part that concerns me most. While Buff is one of my favorite players, I think all teams need a "whole team" commitment to fitness in order to compete.

knorthern knight 04-09-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Resurrection (Post 63631615)

I don't think other teams' GMs are that blind. Today's Buff just isn't that great. When he wants to, he can be a game-changer, but he doesn't seem to want hard enough, often enough. At one point this season, Clitsome was covering up for Buff's miscues, fercryinoutloud. Last season, I was very unhappy with Buff. Earlier this season, he gave me hope that he might have changed, but now he seems back to the error-prone Buff again. If I was Chevy, I'd be tempted to re-sign Clitsome for $1.75 million, and trade Buff. The big problems with that are Buff's cap hit and his modified no-trade clause.