HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Speculation: Compelling offseason for Islanders? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1400605)

Siludin 04-10-2013 01:08 PM

Compelling offseason for Islanders?
 
I probably wouldn't have expected the New York Islanders to have one of the more interesting upcoming offseasons in the NHL at the beginning of the season, but it's sure ramping up to be a good one.

The team is in the playoffs for the first time since Ted Nolan was behind the bench, and the team finally has some key pieces in place to build around. That being said, they are still very much a low-salary organization that relies on a lot of cheap 1-way contracts and scrap from other teams to ice a complete lineup.

That being said, it looks like they'll have quite the choice of players this offseason. Lots of teams will be looking to dump salary or bad contracts in their underperforming players, or buying out those same players, only to be had cheaply elsewhere (think: Booth, Ballard, Pronger, Bryzgalov, Connolly, Grabovski, Richards, Olesz, Montador, etc).

What would your gameplan be if you were the Islanders this offseason? What players would you see as a fit on your team, especially taking into account that many of your own players may be leaving for more salary.

Clamshells 04-10-2013 01:12 PM

I would definitely sign Pronger because I'm Mike Milbury

boredmale 04-10-2013 01:14 PM

I still think the Islanders will be one of the lowest salary franchises till they move to Brooklyn(or get a new owner)

All that being said the Islanders have 3 spots that either need to be filled internally or signing/trading for a player

1. 2nd Line center - Neilsen needs to be playing 3rd line, a legit second line center would help the team have more balanced scoring

2. #2/#3 defenseman - While Streit helps the offense, they probably need one that is more 2 way, great defensively. If we could get that 2 way defenseman I might be willing to let Streit go to greener pastures.

3. RW for Tavares - Boyes point totals might look good, but Tavares needs a winger who will go into the boards and crash for him

Siludin 04-10-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredmale (Post 63689205)
I still think the Islanders will be one of the lowest salary franchises till they move to Brooklyn(or get a new owner)

All that being said the Islanders have 3 spots that either need to be filled internally or signing/trading for a player

1. 2nd Line center - Neilsen needs to be playing 3rd line, a legit second line center would help the team have more balanced scoring

2. #2/#3 defenseman - While Streit helps the offense, they probably need one that is more 2 way, great defensively. If we could get that 2 way defenseman I might be willing to let Streit go to greener pastures.

3. RW for Tavares - Boyes point totals might look good, but Tavares needs a winger who will go into the boards and crash for him

You can have Roy, Ballard, and Booth from the Canucks at only the cost of their salary! :)

LeafsandSharksfan 04-10-2013 01:18 PM

Could they make a run at Clarkson?

jumptheshark 04-10-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredmale (Post 63689205)
I still think the Islanders will be one of the lowest salary franchises till they move to Brooklyn(or get a new owner)

All that being said the Islanders have 3 spots that either need to be filled internally or signing/trading for a player

1. 2nd Line center - Neilsen needs to be playing 3rd line, a legit second line center would help the team have more balanced scoring

2. #2/#3 defenseman - While Streit helps the offense, they probably need one that is more 2 way, great defensively. If we could get that 2 way defenseman I might be willing to let Streit go to greener pastures.

3. RW for Tavares - Boyes point totals might look good, but Tavares needs a winger who will go into the boards and crash for him

NYI are far from a lock for the playoffs., NJD are their usual wild card in this situation. Game in hand. Good news they have put together a good ten game steak--but it is a streak.

As for what they do in the off season--With Wang as owner do not look for them to go on a spending spree with him in charge

nickschultzfan 04-10-2013 01:23 PM

Fools should have tanked one more season and drafted Jones. Would have been too perfect.

WreckItRask 04-10-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredmale (Post 63689205)
I still think the Islanders will be one of the lowest salary franchises till they move to Brooklyn(or get a new owner)

All that being said the Islanders have 3 spots that either need to be filled internally or signing/trading for a player

1. 2nd Line center - Neilsen needs to be playing 3rd line, a legit second line center would help the team have more balanced scoring

2. #2/#3 defenseman - While Streit helps the offense, they probably need one that is more 2 way, great defensively. If we could get that 2 way defenseman I might be willing to let Streit go to greener pastures.

3. RW for Tavares - Boyes point totals might look good, but Tavares needs a winger who will go into the boards and crash for him


Not sure what the Bruins plans are for him, but Nathan Horton would fit that bill. He's a UFA after this season.

PWJunior 04-10-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler Sanguine (Post 63693077)
Not sure what the Bruins plans are for him, but Nathan Horton would fit that bill. He's a UFA after this season.

Horton may be out of the price range, but he definitely fits the need. Plus, I don't think the Isles will be a UFA destination until they are playing in Brooklyn.

The Isles have committed to their youth so I think the kiddie corps will get first crack at filling the aforementioned needs.

DPSNAGS 04-10-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWJunior (Post 63693589)
Horton may be out of the price range, but he definitely fits the need. Plus, I don't think the Isles will be a UFA destination until they are playing in Brooklyn.

The Isles have committed to their youth so I think the kiddie corps will get first crack at filling the aforementioned needs.

The future is set. Brooklyn is coming. Playing with JT will definitely be Garth's pitch during UFAs.

CREW99AW 04-10-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siludin (Post 63688909)
I probably wouldn't have expected the New York Islanders to have one of the more interesting upcoming offseasons in the NHL at the beginning of the season, but it's sure ramping up to be a good one.

The team is in the playoffs for the first time since Ted Nolan was behind the bench, and the team finally has some key pieces in place to build around. That being said, they are still very much a low-salary organization that relies on a lot of cheap 1-way contracts and scrap from other teams to ice a complete lineup.

That being said, it looks like they'll have quite the choice of players this offseason. Lots of teams will be looking to dump salary or bad contracts in their underperforming players, or buying out those same players, only to be had cheaply elsewhere (think: Booth, Ballard, Pronger, Bryzgalov, Connolly, Grabovski, Richards, Olesz, Montador, etc).

What would your gameplan be if you were the Islanders this offseason? What players would you see as a fit on your team, especially taking into account that many of your own players may be leaving for more salary.

Tavares in the first yr of a 6 yr deal.
Okposo in the second yr of a 5 yr deal.
Grabner in the second yr of a 5 yr deal.
Nielsen in the first yr of a 4 yr deal.
Moulson in the second yr of a 3 yr deal.
Vis is signed to a 2 yr extension, that starts in 2013-2014.

The NY Times reported that Wang stands to make an extra $35m a season, on Barclay's 100 luxury suites and premium seats.I don't know why you'd think, the isles will lose their key players.
Newsday says to expect a possible influx of top prospects starting next season with Strome/Lee/Nino/Nelson expected to compete for spots.

StrongIslanders90 04-10-2013 03:33 PM

I expect

Moulson-Tavares-Strome
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Lee-Nelson-(Grabner)UFA bottom6 vet
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

Viz-Hamonic
Hickey-AMAC
Donovan-Carkner

Nabby if resigned or trade/ufa
Poulin

boredmale 04-10-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler Sanguine (Post 63693077)
Not sure what the Bruins plans are for him, but Nathan Horton would fit that bill. He's a UFA after this season.

like Crew said his pricetag probably will be to high but if I had to pick 1 position I would pump money into it would be defense. Sadly the UFA market this year sucks for the type of guy we need, the only way we can improve in that area would be trade a few prospects/picks for a team looking to trade a player(most likely for Cap relief).

A more likely option is just resigning Streit or making a trade for a guy like Ballard. In all reality the Islanders should have been pushing hard for Jay Bouwmeester(sure he might not be a #1 defenseman and he is overpaid but he would have made a huge improvement to our roster) since he is probably the best you are going to get on the trade market(besides maybe Yandle but I think we need a guy who is more known for defense/2 way play)

denis 04-10-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 (Post 63695803)
I expect

Moulson-Tavares-Strome
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Lee-Nelson-UFA bottom6 vet
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

Viz-Hamonic
Hickey-AMAC
Donovan-Carkner

Nabby if resigned or trade/ufa
Poulin

I know he's so fast he's hard to see sometimes, but Grabner says hello. Slot him next to Nelson. Defense and goal still need work, but get that squared away and this could be a very good team for a very long time ... and without paying stupid money to a UFA that will need to eventually be bought out.

DesertDawg 04-10-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denis (Post 63697947)
I know he's so fast he's hard to see sometimes, but Grabner says hello. Slot him next to Nelson. Defense and goal still need work, but get that squared away and this could be a very good team for a very long time ... and without paying stupid money to a UFA that will need to eventually be bought out.

...and Cizikas at Nielson's LW and to take face offs. Look at bringing in Boyd Gordon from the Coyotes (if they can't resign him). Dish out a little more money (to tweak up the defense) and make it past the 2nd round, the revenue that will generate more than makes up for it.

CREW99AW 04-10-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertDawg (Post 63700003)
...and Cizikas at Nielson's LW and to take face offs. Look at bringing in Boyd Gordon from the Coyotes (if they can't resign him). Dish out a little more money (to tweak up the defense) and make it past the 2nd round, the revenue that will generate more than makes up for it.

I doubt the isles break up the Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo line. It's was a very strong line the last 20 or so games of the 2011-2012 season and was reunited several weeks ago. It's been the isles best line for a month now.

Also, big Jesse Joensuu just got off IR with a groin injury.

This is his second go around with the NHL team. He seems to have grasped that if he wants to stick, he'll need to go to the dirty areas of the ice. I expect he'll be in the mix.

StrongIslanders90 04-10-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denis (Post 63697947)
I know he's so fast he's hard to see sometimes, but Grabner says hello. Slot him next to Nelson. Defense and goal still need work, but get that squared away and this could be a very good team for a very long time ... and without paying stupid money to a UFA that will need to eventually be bought out.


:shakehead Im embarrassed

nyiguy21 04-10-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickschultzfan (Post 63689603)
Fools should have tanked one more season and drafted Jones. Would have been too perfect.

When did they ever purposely lose?

StrongIslanders90 04-10-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickschultzfan (Post 63689603)
Fools should have tanked one more season and drafted Jones. Would have been too perfect.

Yeah I know right...winning and making the playoffs wont get us as much respect as getting another lottery pick...

We should also go for Ekblad the next year and McDavid after that...

Paper 04-10-2013 06:11 PM

If Nabokov signs elsewhere, Kiprusoff for a conditional 2nd. The condition simply being he shows up. Not the greatest season for him, but has shown flashes of his former self. Worst case scenario is the Islanders have a veteran backup costing 1.5M. If he doesn't show up, no harm, no foul. Suspend him like Thomas and eat up some cap space if they want or if he retires, whatever.

Maybe make it a conditional 2nd if he shows up and starts a certain amount of games, a third if he shows up but doesn't reach that threshold and nothing if he's a no show.

As for Kiprusoff, he threatened not to report if traded this year, but that's right after his wife had a baby. Give him some time to think in the off-season and a couple months to plan for the move and maybe Mrs. Kiprusoff is okay with it and Kiprusoff decides he has a couple years left in him.

Menwithouthat tricks 04-10-2013 06:47 PM

Garth Snow has hinted that the Isles will take advantage of their cap room and abundance of solid prospects to fill holes on their team. For instance, they have too many young NHL-quality centers to fit on the team (Tavares, Bailey (moved to wing), Neilson, Cizakis, Anders Lee, Strome, Brock Nelson, Sundstrom), they can't keep them all. They have some holes, like near-term top-line defense. I could be dreaming, but Nashville is offense starved, maybe the Isles can make a run at Shea Weber?

CREW99AW 04-10-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paper (Post 63702787)
If Nabokov signs elsewhere, Kiprusoff for a conditional 2nd. The condition simply being he shows up. Not the greatest season for him, but has shown flashes of his former self. Worst case scenario is the Islanders have a veteran backup costing 1.5M. If he doesn't show up, no harm, no foul. Suspend him like Thomas and eat up some cap space if they want or if he retires, whatever.

Maybe make it a conditional 2nd if he shows up and starts a certain amount of games, a third if he shows up but doesn't reach that threshold and nothing if he's a no show.

As for Kiprusoff, he threatened not to report if traded this year, but that's right after his wife had a baby. Give him some time to think in the off-season and a couple months to plan for the move and maybe Mrs. Kiprusoff is okay with it and Kiprusoff decides he has a couple years left in him.



I think Daly made it clear when he said he won't allow Thomas caphit to simply keep rolling over, that the league isn't amused by Wang's cap tricks.

Can't see the isles, getting a half share of revenue sharing under the new cba, pulling another Tim Thomas stunt.

Hurt 04-10-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickschultzfan (Post 63689603)
Fools should have tanked one more season and drafted Jones. Would have been too perfect.

That seems like a loser mentality right there. Teams play to win the game. No professionals lose on purpose.

Leafs For Life* 04-10-2013 07:03 PM

Grabovksi for 1st at draft if you make playoffs?

Chapin Landvogt 04-10-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siludin (Post 63688909)
What would your gameplan be if you were the Islanders this offseason? What players would you see as a fit on your team, especially taking into account that many of your own players may be leaving for more salary.

Depending on how things go financially and especially if they resign Nabokov (likely) and Streit (about 50/50, but the money will be similar to Visnovsky), it wouldn't be out of the question to assume that no-one from the outside will be brought in.

And I write that believing they'll likely just let UFAs Boyes, Reasoner, Aucoin, and Martinek walk. I also think we'll not be seeing Boulton anymore, despite his current contract.

The arrival of Bailey and Okposo after being non-factors for the first 25 games added to the improved blueline play of Hamonic, MacDonald and Hickey (and before them, Strait) plus the incredibly solid lower line play of Martin, Cizikas and MacDonald has given this team newfound dimensions and options. We know that Tavares, Moulson, Nielsen, and Grabner (well, maybe) aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Lee was just signed and Joensuu has another 8 games to show that he's worth re-upping as an RFA - to be honest, I think they need to do it in light of how much time he missed this season after so much improvement the past two seasons over in Europe.

Both Finley (RFA) and Carkner (2 more years) are fine as depth Dmen, especially when a more physical presence is needed.

The other answers will have to come from within. I don't believe there's any reason for Donovan to spend another year in the AHL. Either you plan for him to be on the Island or he's moved in a trade. The same pretty much goes for Ullstrom (new 4th line center).

This said, I'd suggest that the major factor right now is RW and if you're not gonna ask Strome and Niederreiter to battle it out for that position at the moment, then you might as well move one in a deal to get the guy who'll play there.

Nelson is the #2 of the future. The team will need to contemplate just how ready he is. He's definitely knocking.

Once again, maybe the best answer is to just see what they have from within - as long as they're hitting the cap floor. They can afford to be generous to Streit and Nabokov to make that happen.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.