HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread Vol. 14 | Breaking Oilers: Krazy 8(th overall pick?) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1402231)

Soli 04-12-2013 01:01 PM

Rumors & Proposals Thread Vol. 14 | Breaking Oilers: Krazy 8(th overall pick?)

Last one hit 1k. Continue here.

Soli 04-12-2013 01:06 PM

Last few posts...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BowDangles (Post 63816617)
This is what I am thinking the off season plan should be:

#1-2 Dman
#3-5 Dman
Top six power forward
2-3 competitive bottom 6 players
back up goalie

So realistically these are the options out there to fill those needs

1-2D: Yandle, maybe Myers - have to trade for, feel free to add possibilities

3-5D: Streit, Regehr, Ian White? - I would hope Klefbom can fill this hole but doubt it for next year

Top 6PWF: Clarkson, Horton, Clowe

bottom 6: Max Talbot, Matt Cullen, Cleary, Torres, etc... - should be a ton of guys out there

Back up goalie - tons of cheap options out there.

This would be a hard acheivement for any GM let along Tambo so I am not really expecting any of these needs to be fully fulfilled

Quote:

Originally Posted by raab (Post 63817113)
If Tambo can bring in Zidilicky and Scuderi through UFA we should be a playoff team. That's what I'm hoping for anyways. Roll with Defense by committee with these pairings:

Zidlicky-Scuderi
Petry-Smid
Schultz-Schultz
Fistric

Give guys ice time who are playing well. My RFA dream is Cal Clutterbuck but I don't see Tambo having the balls to pull that off. To scared to part with our 1st.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CREW99AW (Post 63817429)
Isles reportedly offered him 3 yrs/$15m.

He wants 3 yrs/$16.5 m.

I like him. He's a good player, but at his age I'm very leery of both the amount and the term.
I expect some other gm will meet his demands.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BowDangles (Post 63819751)
I think I recall some one saying something about Streit having terrible advanced stats (Corsi, QOC, etc..)

That is why I put him in the 3-5D role, and in this case I would not want to be paying my 3-5 defence man 5 mil a season...

Because #1-2D are so hard to get I think the Oilers need to try and role with the Vancouver strategy of having 6 #4 d men.

Currently the Oilers have 3 top 4 d men (J Schultz, Smid, Petry), 1 #5 dman (N Schultz) and 4 #6-7 dmen (Whitney, Fistric, Potter and Peckham)

A lot of work needs to be done on the back end..

Quote:

Originally Posted by timekeep (Post 63820279)
Monahan would be a 19yr old next year, he has a chance. Have no idea what you are talking about regarding the pick as the last option. You really think someone will trade a 'real' player for a 10th overall pick?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BowDangles (Post 63820845)
Single handily a #10 OV pick most likely would not get you a "real" player per say but a #10OV packaged with a couple prospects/players can bring in great value.

I imagine the Oilers will be in the 7-10OV range when it is all said and done with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spOiler (Post 63820903)
God Seth jones would be amazing for usdown the road jones Shultz + smif petry and we would be golden. Come on draft gods 2.7 percent lottery win.

Bryanbryoil 04-12-2013 01:19 PM

I smell like a man, jealous Soli?

dnicks17 04-12-2013 01:24 PM

Soli is jealous. E5.

Bryanbryoil 04-12-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnicks17 (Post 63822371)
Soli is jealous. E5.

Yeah he emits a fragrance that would rival the perfume counter at Macy's, I even hear that when he passes gas it smells like fresh cut flowers. Somebody get that man a 2lb. round steak STAT!

Neilio 04-12-2013 01:42 PM

Remember when Edmonton was the place for promising but under-used players could come and carve themselves out a career as a useful player? Sather used to be really good finding that type of guy for cheap. Our drafting was so terrible, they had no choice, if I recall.

Under Tamblowe's stewardship, a stint in Edmonton is a career killer for all but our top draft picks. That has to be pretty obvious to the free agent pool out there.

joestevens29 04-12-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil (Post 63822109)

If you smelt like a women he'd be more jealous.

The Nuge 04-12-2013 02:16 PM

What did I just walk in on? :laugh:

worraps 04-12-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neilio (Post 63823283)
Remember when Edmonton was the place for promising but under-used players could come and carve themselves out a career as a useful player? Sather used to be really good finding that type of guy for cheap. Our drafting was so terrible, they had no choice, if I recall.

Under Tamblowe's stewardship, a stint in Edmonton is a career killer for all but our top draft picks. That has to be pretty obvious to the free agent pool out there.

The Free Agents the Oilers have been signing are exposed as bad players because they are ... wait for it ... bad players. Their skills aren't magically degraded by Tambo offering them a contract.

The Eagers and Belangers of the world are exposed because there is nothing surrounding them to obscure this fact but green rookies and other bad players.

You'll see a similar phenomenon in Calgary over the next few years.

Oilfan2 04-12-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neilio (Post 63823283)

Quote:

Originally Posted by worraps (Post 63824991)
The Free Agents the Oilers have been signing are exposed as bad players because they are ... wait for it ... bad players. Their skills aren't magically degraded by Tambo offering them a contract.

The Eagers and Belangers of the world are exposed because there is nothing surrounding them to obscure this fact but green rookies and other bad players.

You'll see a similar phenomenon in Calgary over the next few years.

Sounds like you're agreeing with Neilio...Tamblowe can't find the right players for the Oilers like Sather, etc, could. Obviously, as you say, they're poor players to begin with.

Is that a combination of poor management/scouting perhaps?

Soli 04-12-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

You smell like a man? Who's the erm, lucky guy? :D

joestevens29 04-12-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soli (Post 63826195)
You smell like a man? Who's the erm, lucky guy?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

joestevens29 04-12-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilfan2 (Post 63825259)
Sounds like you're agreeing with Neilio...Tamblowe can't find the right players for the Oilers like Sather, etc, could. Obviously, as you say, they're poor players to begin with.

Is that a combination of poor management/scouting perhaps?

At this stage if it's poor scouting you have no one but yourself to blame if you are ST.

The Bored Man 04-12-2013 02:50 PM

1. #2-3 defenceman (#1 probably won't happen)
2. A couple of physical top-nine wingers, and I don't mean another Ben Eager.
3. Second line centre, not an offensive dynamo, but someone who can hang with the Getzlafs and Richardses
4. Goalie, 1B or 2, depending on how they feel about Dubnyk

In no particular order. This has to get done.

Sorry for interrupting the soap opera / comedy sketch. :D

Obiwan Eberle 04-12-2013 03:01 PM

Use Gagner as a center peice to get Brouwer
Hemmer, our 1st (not in top 5) and what ever else is needed to get Berglund and Stewart
Sign Streit to a reasonable amount and term
Sign Bickell or equivalent

This is the start to a very productive offseason

The Bored Man 04-12-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obiwan Eberle (Post 63826873)
Use Gagner as a center peice to get Brouwer
Hemmer, our 1st (not in top 5) and what ever else is needed to get Berglund and Stewart
Sign Streit to a reasonable amount and term
Sign Bickell or equivalent

This is the start to a very productive offseason

I don't think the St. Louis deal gets done. Stewart is having a monster of a season, and they have a shortage of centres so Berglund would be probably not be moved. They're also a contending team so I don't see how a roster change of + Hemsky - Stewart - Berglund would be attractive for them. And then you can't really move Gagner without replacing him.

Stewart-RNH-Yakupov
Hall-Berglund-Eberle
Bickell-Horcoff-Brouwer
Petrell/Smyth-Smithson-Brown/Lander

Smid-Petry
Streit-JSchultz
Fistric-NSchultz

That looks a lot better, though! Even though MPS has been abducted by aliens and I don't know if this will fit under the cap long-term.

Obiwan Eberle 04-12-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bored Man (Post 63827531)
I don't think the St. Louis deal gets done. Stewart is having a monster of a season, and they have a shortage of centres so Berglund would be probably not be moved. They're also a contending team so I don't see how a roster change of + Hemsky - Stewart - Berglund would be attractive for them. And then you can't really move Gagner without replacing him.

Stewart-RNH-Yakupov
Hall-Berglund-Eberle
Bickell-Horcoff-Brouwer
Petrell/Smyth-Smithson-Brown/Lander

Smid-Petry
Streit-JSchultz
Fistric-NSchultz

That looks a lot better, though! Even though MPS has been abducted by aliens and I don't know if this will fit under the cap long-term.

agreed... MPS for Brouwer (sorry Maggy...but eggs and omletes)
Gagner, Hemmer and 1st for Berglund, Stewart and 2nd

If St Louis falters in the playoffs....with their non offence...they may look at something like this considering Stewart will be pricey (so will Gags)

rockinghockey 04-12-2013 03:35 PM

I heard today on the radio that Stewart might be the odd man out in STL as they have to resign Petro and Shatty, plus they have JBo's contract. Wonder what it would cost to get Stewart.
Hall; RNH; Stewar
That is a good top line.

jumptheshark 04-12-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

I think he is talking about the fact you fell into cow dung

OilerNut* 04-12-2013 04:16 PM

We need to focus on targeting teams who underperformed, like the Flyers and Lightning rather than contenders.

How about getting Brewer out of Tampa?

Jimmi Jenkins 04-12-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OilerNut (Post 63829879)
We need to focus on targeting teams who underperformed, like the Flyers and Lightning rather than contenders.

How about getting Brewer out of Tampa?

The Flyers definitely need to be a target, but Tampa is ok with what they have, I think they're looking to add. They'll likely buyout Ohlund which will free up a roster spot and some cap space for them.

Speaking of the Flyers, it's looking like a possibility that they buyout Bryzgalov leaving them with just Steve Mason. With a struggling tender here, maybe there's a deal there.

Flyers buyout Bryzgalov, the Oilers then trade Eberle, Dubnyk and Peckham to the Flyers for Talbot, Meszaros and Read.

The Oilers then sigh BOTH Bryzgalov and Mike Smith. You have a significantly upgraded goaltending tandem, and you've gotten better on the blueline and tougher up front.

joestevens29 04-12-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins (Post 63830349)
The Flyers definitely need to be a target, but Tampa is ok with what they have, I think they're looking to add. They'll likely buyout Ohlund which will free up a roster spot and some cap space for them.

Speaking of the Flyers, it's looking like a possibility that they buyout Bryzgalov leaving them with just Steve Mason. With a struggling tender here, maybe there's a deal there.

Flyers buyout Bryzgalov, the Oilers then trade Eberle, Dubnyk and Peckham to the Flyers for Talbot, Meszaros and Read.

The Oilers then sigh BOTH Bryzgalov and Mike Smith. You have a significantly upgraded goaltending tandem, and you've gotten better on the blueline and tougher up front.

I question how much of an upgrade Ilya and Smith would be. Ilya might be worse then Bulin. Guy is crazy.

Jimmi Jenkins 04-12-2013 04:40 PM

Then move Hemsky and Potter to the Canes for McBain and Blanchard

Sign Joel Ward if he's bought out, re-sign Smithson and Petrell.

Buyout Eager and Belanger, Smyth retires and let Whitney, Jones , Fistric and Habby walk.

The team then looks like

Hall - Nuge - Yakupov
PRV - Gagner - Read
Talbot - Horcoff - Ward
Brown - Smithson - Petrell
Blanchard

Smid - Petry
Meszaros - J. Schultz
N. Schultz - McBain
Klefbom

Smith
Bryzgalov

Jimmi Jenkins 04-12-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joestevens29 (Post 63830623)
I question how much of an upgrade Ilya and Smith would be. Ilya might be worse then Bulin. Guy is crazy.

The Flyers eat goalies alive. Bryzgalov can play, especially splitting time. He is crazy though.

Obiwan Eberle 04-12-2013 04:56 PM

Eberle won't be traded....no way, no how. There's one thing the Oil have been very consistent about, other than losing :( ...the Fab 5 is untouchable. Gags, Hemmer and the draft pick are on the block i'd bet, but outside that....dither, dither, dither