HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   How's Luke Schenn doing? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1402487)

MiniMoose 04-12-2013 07:22 PM

How's Luke Schenn doing?

I was looking at the stats and I found Schenn on top of the Flyers defense with a +2. Obviously plus/minus is a bogus stat but it is refreshing seeing him positive after all those years as a minus player. So how is he playing? Is he what you guys hoped for?

Mgkibbles 04-12-2013 07:26 PM

I like him a lot. Hands of stone, but he's a much better skater after dropping some pounds in the offseason. Works perfectly paired with Timonen.

Krishna 04-12-2013 07:26 PM

He's been great. Probably our most consistent d man and is playing like a good 2/3 d man

Reduxs 04-12-2013 07:51 PM

I don't think you'll find anyone around here who will complain about him. He's been good this year and has quickly turned into my favorite player. So far it looks like it's been a great trade for both teams, and hopefully it stays that way.

Flyerfan4life 04-12-2013 07:52 PM

yea ive def. been happy with the trade..

dont miss JVR at all..

sa cyred 04-12-2013 07:54 PM

Probably our 2nd best defender defending wise. Timonen has been our top offensive defender and Grossmann our best defensive defender.

Beef Invictus 04-12-2013 08:11 PM

: laugh:

This is becoming a bi-weekly tradition

FlyingPhilly 04-12-2013 08:12 PM

I have a complaint about LSchenn. I don't like how he sometimes thinks he is a PMD and tries moving the puck up the ice by himself only to lose it. He has done this quite a few times. Otherwise, he has been pretty solid. I wish his skating was better, but what can you do?

LegionOfDoom91 04-12-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgkibbles (Post 63838105)
I like him a lot. Hands of stone, but he's a much better skater after dropping some pounds in the offseason. Works perfectly paired with Timonen.

He's been the anchor of him and Lauridsen's pair lately. I think Schenn's handled that role pretty well covering up for Lauridsen's errors.

flyersfan187 04-12-2013 09:13 PM

He has improved his play throughout the season also. He was hitting everything that moved which put him out of position to start the season and now he seems to be picking his spots more which is a good thing. D-men shouldn't be out there hitting everything that moves because that leaves too many openings.

Either way it is a win win trade for both teams.

achdumeingute 04-12-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Hands of stone is a little extreme...he isn't that bad. He's no PMD, but he's not any worse than Coburn with the puck.

Hockeypete49 04-12-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Love the guy. You can build a defense with him in mind. He is not a number one but a guy who will lead by example. Hits, block shots and stands up for his team mates. I am glad we have him.

Larry44 04-12-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 (Post 63849015)
Love the guy. You can build a defense with him in mind. He is not a number one but a guy who will lead by example. Hits, block shots and stands up for his team mates. I am glad we have him.

If I had to pick a Flyers' MVP this year, I'd pick Luke. He shows up to compete, hits everything in sight, eats up big minutes. He always skated better than he got credit for and his composure with the puck is very good. Good outlet passes and gets his shots through.

Took a slapshot in the head, got 10 stitches and came back out. What more can you say, he's a stud. And his brother is going to be really good too. Already is, but when he's 22 and man-strong, watch out for Brayden.

LegionOfDoom91 04-12-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry44 (Post 63849177)
If I had to pick a Flyers' MVP this year, I'd pick Luke. He shows up to compete, hits everything in sight, eats up big minutes. He always skated better than he got credit for and his composure with the puck is very good. Good outlet passes and gets his shots through.

Took a slapshot in the head, got 10 stitches and came back out. What more can you say, he's a stud. And his brother is going to be really good too. Already is, but when he's 22 and man-strong, watch out for Brayden.

I was told that title is reserved for Bryzgalov. :sarcasm:

Larry44 04-12-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 (Post 63849271)
I was told that title is reserved for Bryzgalov. :sarcasm:

It's a toss up for me.

LegionOfDoom91 04-12-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry44 (Post 63849305)
It's a toss up for me.

I was just kidding. I would probably go with Jake or Grossmann but Luke would definitely get an honorable mention from me. He's the gold standard for what it is to be a great teammate.

FreshPerspective 04-13-2013 12:24 AM

I think overall he's been steady on the backend considering all the turmoil b/c of injuries. He is definitely not a PMD and when he tries to do too much with the puck he gets himself into trouble like Toronto fans noted. I'm pretty content with him and I think he'll only get better. The trade has worked out for both teams. We def needed a D man but I still wish somehow we could have kept JVR. He's a good 5 on 5 player and can open the ice when he's got his skating game going..something we don't have enough of. Only G and Voracek can do it on a consistent basis. Let's not even talk about the D....obviously Timonen is the only thing we got back there.

Kevin Danko 04-13-2013 02:06 AM

:yo: Grossmann is underappreciated
Quote:

Originally Posted by sa cyred (Post 63839917)
Probably our 2nd best defender defending wise. Timonen has been our top offensive defender and Grossmann our best defensive defender.

Bernie 1 Parent 04-13-2013 02:12 AM

Eh he's been ok but people here seem to think he's better then he really is. I like the physical presence he brings but his turnovers in the defensive zone are AWFUL and it happens at least once a game with him. He's had to play a lot of minutes lately because of the injuries and he hasn't been awful but I think alot of people on this board just don't want to even acknowledge the success that JVR is having right now.

OzFlyer 04-13-2013 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernie 1 Parent (Post 63854813)
Eh he's been ok but people here seem to think he's better then he really is. I like the physical presence he brings but his turnovers in the defensive zone are AWFUL and it happens at least once a game with him. He's had to play a lot of minutes lately because of the injuries and he hasn't been awful but I think alot of people on this board just don't want to even acknowledge the success that JVR was having.

JVR has cooled off quite a bit recently.

Bernie 1 Parent 04-13-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OzFlyer (Post 63855249)
JVR has cooled off quite a bit recently.

Still can't deny the success he's had this year. He's been way better then Luke Schenn has. I really don't know why people are denying it. Likes turnovers are worse then Matt Carles but for some reason people are in denial.

orange is better 04-13-2013 12:28 PM

I really think Pronger mentoring him has done alot for schenns game. He doesn't take himself out of position NEARLY as often as he did earlier in the season and in his days with the leafs. His decision making with and without the puck has improved and his footwork and skating has gotten a lot better with his slimming down.

If he continues playing like this and getting better (he's still so young for a defenseman) he can certainly become a #2 shutdown defenseman in this league. I'd argue that he's been our best defenseman all year.

JVR21 04-13-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernie 1 Parent (Post 63863607)
Still can't deny the success he's had this year. He's been way better then Luke Schenn has. I really don't know why people are denying it. Likes turnovers are worse then Matt Carles but for some reason people are in denial.

Luke is vastly superior to Carle in the defensive zone, though.

Beef Invictus 04-13-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JVR21 (Post 63865523)
Luke is vastly superior to Carle in the defensive zone, though.

I'd rather have him on offense as well, since he can actually shoot.

orange is better 04-13-2013 01:09 PM

Only thing matt Carle is good at is his first pass and keeping the puck in the offensive zone. He's subpar at literally everything else.