HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   NHL Draft - Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Nathan Beaulieu (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1402729)

theboss* 04-13-2013 07:40 AM

Nathan Beaulieu

What do you guys think his potential is?

NA Scouting 04-13-2013 09:58 AM

From what I have seen so far in Hamilton and Montreal, and taking into account his development among the pros so far this season, Beaulieu looks to have solid NHL potential. I don't think he'll follow into Subban's steps and become a #1 NHL defender, but he could become quite the point producer.

He is an elite skater, great agility, mobily and speed. Can really handle the puck and make plays at high speed. Great off the rush, he has solid offensive vision and a great slapper from the point.

Realistically, he could be somewhat of a poor man's Kris Letang. Speedy #2 or #3 defenseman that excels on the PP, can put up about 40-50 pts per year (maybe more in his prime), great puck-moving dman but is average defensively.

Jabba11 04-13-2013 10:03 AM

I still think he's a better prospect than Derrick Pouliot, Matt Dumba, Slater Koekkoek, Cody Ceci, Connor Murphy, Ryan Murphy, etc.

IMO, Brodin, Klefbom, Hamilton, Larsson, and Murray are still higher end prospect than him.

Intangiblezzz 04-13-2013 10:55 AM

At very best he can be a top pairing D-man. Maybe a 50-60 point producer in his prime.

Realistically, I see a very good 2nd pairing defenseman with great vision, puck skills and can quarter back a pp.

Intangiblezzz 04-13-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jabba11 (Post 63858637)
I still think he's a better prospect than Derrick Pouliot, Matt Dumba, Slater Koekkoek, Cody Ceci, Connor Murphy, Ryan Murphy, etc.

IMO, Brodin, Klefbom, Hamilton, Larsson, and Murray are still higher end prospect than him.

Agreed. But he is still in very good company here. Montreal has a good prospect on there hands.

tony d 04-13-2013 12:00 PM

I think he'll be a very good #2 defensive pairing guy.

montreal 04-13-2013 04:35 PM

With the mix of skills and physical abilities, he's going to put up his share of points, especially on the PP as he can do a lot of things very well in the offensive zone. I think he has some big holes in his defensive zone play, positioning/reads but if paired with a solid stay at home type he should be more then ok. That said i'd be surprised if he ended up even around Subban's level, but if he ends up being a lesser PK that could still be a very good NHLer for the Habs.

reffree 04-13-2013 05:07 PM

Wasn't high on him in the Q. Didn't like his decision making with the puck in O zone and his decision making without the puck in the D zone. I haven't saw him this year, so I don't know how he improved.

If everything goes well I see more of a Christian Ehrhoff than a PK Subban or a Kristopher Letang but I might be wrong.

Noob616 04-13-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reffree (Post 63874783)
Wasn't high on him in the Q. Didn't like his decision making with the puck in O zone and his decision making without the puck in the D zone. I haven't saw him this year, so I don't know how he improved.

If everything goes well I see more of a Christian Ehrhoff than a PK Subban or a Kristopher Letang but I might be wrong.

Agreed here, it's early to say but I see more Ehrhoff potential than Subban potential. Not that that's a bad thing though.

NA Scouting 04-13-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reffree (Post 63874783)

Beaulieu was a loose cannon in juniors, with the team he had around of him they were always winning so he took a lot of risks and it always worked. He never really focused on his defensive play. But from what I've seen of him this year, he seems much more mature, much more composed on the ice. He thinks a lot more than when he was in juniors. He doesn't really have a choice as he's not the top D in the league anymore.

He still has holes defensively of course, but he takes care of his own end much more than he did in the past. He's working on his game, he's coming along. If not, there's no way he would have been called up twice. You cannot deny the skating abilties and offensive skills he has. Well, I compared him to a lesser Letang earlier, but perhaps Brian Campbell would be a better comparison.

Tyson 04-13-2013 06:40 PM

A pleasant confidence describes Nathan. He is 6'3 and skates like the wind. He possesses elite offensive abilities. He is +6 in 4 NHL games so far. His upside is that of Andrei Markov with better speed. Kid will turn out to be a steal at #17