HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Chicago Blackhawks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Stephen Johns? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1402879)

RFIP 04-13-2013 11:24 AM

Stephen Johns?

No word on signing Johns huh? I thought for sure he'd have been signed last week.

Anyone hear anything?

Nazareth 04-13-2013 01:31 PM

From the ND side they expect him back. Money talks and that may be simply optimism but I figured I'd pass along that as an ND guy.

Sarava 04-13-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nazareth (Post 63867097)
From the ND side they expect him back. Money talks and that may be simply optimism but I figured I'd pass along that as an ND guy.

I've said all along, it would be surprising if he left 2/3 of the way through his semester. Actually it would be flat out stupid. Now whether it happens this summer or not is another story. It would leave me a little worried if he isn't signed this summer.

Johns is the only thing that appears likely or able to stop 2010 from possibly being the worst draft in Blackhawks history.

Blackhawkswincup 04-13-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarava (Post 63868193)
I've said all along, it would be surprising if he left 2/3 of the way through his semester. Actually it would be flat out stupid. Now whether it happens this summer or not is another story. It would leave me a little worried if he isn't signed this summer.

Johns is the only thing that appears likely or able to stop 2010 from possibly being the worst draft in Blackhawks history.

You cant be serious can you?

There have been a lot worse drafts in Hawks history

2000 and 1989 come to mind right away

And Kevin Hayes still has potential as do Simpson/Carruth and Nordstrom

UsernameWasTaken 04-13-2013 02:32 PM

I'm surprised he didn't come to prospects camp last year.

If Chicago's telling him he'll play in the AHL next year, then it's not a huge surprise if he decides to go back to ND.

Blackhawkswincup 04-13-2013 02:38 PM

Johns has had commitments to ND during recent camps and Hawks have no problem letting players finish out NCAA careers/commitments

Only get involved when it appears programs are actively hurting prospects (Leddy and Clendening cases)

Sarava 04-13-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup (Post 63869097)
You cant be serious can you?

There have been a lot worse drafts in Hawks history

2000 and 1989 come to mind right away

And Kevin Hayes still has potential as do Simpson/Carruth and Nordstrom

Ok one of the worst. Far worse than anything Dale Tallon had anything to do with. 5 players in the top 2 rounds and the other 4 aren't exactly looking too hot.

Blackhawkswincup 04-13-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarava (Post 63870279)
Ok one of the worst. Far worse than anything Dale Tallon had anything to do with. 5 players in the top 2 rounds and the other 4 aren't exactly looking too hot.

2009 draft = Kruger might be only player to do anything
2008 draft = No NHL talent
2007 draft = No NHL talent out side of round 1
2006 draft = No NHL talent outside of round 1
2005 draft = Only good player drafted in 4th round

The entire Tallon era was a big :facepalm: at draft

And who is not looking too hot? Hayes had a good year at BC and Simpson got better as year went along and still has potential + Johns

Sarava 04-13-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup (Post 63870615)
2009 draft = Kruger might be only player to do anything
2008 draft = No NHL talent
2007 draft = No NHL talent out side of round 1
2006 draft = No NHL talent outside of round 1
2005 draft = Only good player drafted in 4th round

The entire Tallon era was a big :facepalm: at draft

And who is not looking too hot? Hayes had a good year at BC and Simpson got better as year went along and still has potential + Johns

Hayes would be a fine prospect if he was taken with a 3rd rounder.

UsernameWasTaken 04-13-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup (Post 63870159)
Johns has had commitments to ND during recent camps and Hawks have no problem letting players finish out NCAA careers/commitments

Only get involved when it appears programs are actively hurting prospects (Leddy and Clendening cases)

i thought they were are university of minnesota and BU...don't those schools have some of the top programs?

AmericanDream 04-13-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarava (Post 63871043)
Hayes would be a fine prospect if he was taken with a 3rd rounder.

Hayes wasnt going to last past 35...a third rounder is nuts for a kid with the upside and hype he had

HockeySensible 04-13-2013 03:42 PM

Chris Block seems confident that he'll sign. Whether it's sometime in the near future, or in the summer, I think he'll be joining the Hawks this year.

BobbyJet 04-13-2013 07:47 PM

I know nothing of Johns other than what I've read but show me a player that stays in University and doesn't jump at the first opportunity to make big bucks in the NHL, and you'll usually find a person who is not only smart, but is also confident of his abilities. I must admit, I was excited to think Johns was going to be signed in that 50th spot. Hawks need to ink this guy.

Blackhawkswincup 04-13-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken (Post 63872253)
i thought they were are university of minnesota and BU...don't those schools have some of the top programs?

U of Minn development has been hit or miss in recent years and BU was a circus last year and out of control program

Atomic Punk 04-13-2013 11:12 PM

UND has seemed to better at developing talent at the college level than MN. There is a steady flow from Shadach there. It seems as if a kid hasn't progressed much by the second year in college he is kind of a bust. I live in Edina here in MN and the last couple kids that were good are at or have committed to ND so maybe the tide is changing. The best local kids seem to leave the state of MN.

UsernameWasTaken 04-13-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swanny (Post 63916929)
UND has seemed to better at developing talent at the college level than MN. There is a steady flow from Shadach there. It seems as if a kid hasn't progressed much by the second year in college he is kind of a bust. I live in Edina here in MN and the last couple kids that were good are at or have committed to ND so maybe the tide is changing. The best local kids seem to leave the state of MN.

brady skjei kept his commitment to the school - and he was NYR's 1st round pick last year - although i don't know if he was drafted by the CHL.

re Leddy - did the Hawks actually pull him for sure? I remember hearing a rumour that he had a problem w/ his marks (i.e they were brutal) and might have a problem staying. Incidentally, he's not the first elite Minnesota player who's been hit w/ that rumour - the same rumour surrounded Kessel. but :dunno"

Atomic Punk 04-13-2013 11:29 PM

I had heard his grades were suspect but that could have just been a rumor. I did meet his parents in line at a Chipotle last summer and they seemed really nice. Wearing Hawks stuff got the convo going.

massivegoonery 04-14-2013 12:06 AM

The Gophers were a ****show when they pulled Leddy.

LandofLincoln 04-14-2013 12:34 AM

We are going to sign Johns. The kid is a guarantee!

I think if we could have pulled him away from Notre Dame then Stan would have had him as a Icehog already. Just my speculation I have no clue. His mom & dad probably are encouraging to finish school.

With his situation I don't see why he wouldn't finish at Notre Dame.

If he joined Rockford they probably keep him there a full season. Once he finishes school he probably is more likely to just play 20-25 games with Rockford and then make the Chicago roster.

The kid is a can't miss NHL'er and probably a bottom pairing guy in his rookie contract. Then after a few years I expect him to take Hjalmarsson's spot.

UsernameWasTaken 04-14-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swanny (Post 63918021)
I had heard his grades were suspect but that could have just been a rumor. I did meet his parents in line at a Chipotle last summer and they seemed really nice. Wearing Hawks stuff got the convo going.

who knows...like i said upthread, there were the same rumours re kessel when he left.

Quote:

Originally Posted by massivegoonery (Post 63920327)
The Gophers were a ****show when they pulled Leddy.

i don't really follow NCAA so i'm assuming you're right.

Bubba88 04-14-2013 04:20 AM

2008 has to be in contention for worst draft

Sarava 04-14-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubba88 (Post 63925663)
2008 has to be in contention for worst draft

Not even close. They only had 2 picks in the top 4 rounds. It was a failed draft - but mostly because of a lack of picks. Basically the whole draft was on Beach's shoulders, and he hasn't panned out.

RedBaronIndian 04-14-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken (Post 63917415)
brady skjei kept his commitment to the school - and he was NYR's 1st round pick last year - although i don't know if he was drafted by the CHL.

re Leddy - did the Hawks actually pull him for sure? I remember hearing a rumour that he had a problem w/ his marks (i.e they were brutal) and might have a problem staying. Incidentally, he's not the first elite Minnesota player who's been hit w/ that rumour - the same rumour surrounded Kessel. but :dunno"

I think that was Dylan Olsen leaving mid season due to academic issues and signing a contract to play for Rockford. I don't think Leddy had academic issues.

Blackhawkswincup 04-14-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarava (Post 63929017)
Not even close. They only had 2 picks in the top 4 rounds. It was a failed draft - but mostly because of a lack of picks. Basically the whole draft was on Beach's shoulders, and he hasn't panned out.

Yes but they threw away a 11th overall and so far that draft has netted 0 NHL talent

Ben Smith only hope at this point and he looks like an iffy hopeful right now

brtriad 04-14-2013 01:16 PM

They need to sign him. I don't want to deal with another Schultz/Wheeler situation especially when its our team that would be boned.