HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Speculation: Briere refused to waive his NMC around the Trade Deadline? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1402965)

Krishna 04-13-2013 01:38 PM

Briere refused to waive his NMC around the Trade Deadline?

Bill Clement could be talking out of his ass, but during the pregame show, he clearly stated Briere refused to waive his NMC leading up to the Trade deadline

I guess Buy out it is.

Jack de la Hoya 04-13-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krishna (Post 63867345)
Bill Clement could be talking out of his ass, but during the pregame show, he clearly stated Briere refused to waive his NMC leading up to the Trade deadline

I guess Buy out it is.

Just got in, and didn't see this, but it wouldn't surprise me. He explicitly said the other day that he would do everything he could to stay in Philadelphia.

Jray42 04-13-2013 01:54 PM

If his goal was to stay in Philly then he's an idiot. If he wanted to stay in Philadelphia, he should have waived, and then gotten a buy out from his Playoff team to re-sign here for cheaper.

JDinkalage Morgoone 04-13-2013 01:55 PM

He refused to waive his NTC that means he cares Bryzgalov doesnt care. Care Bears.,

Giroux It 04-13-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

I guess Buy out it is.

Maybe its just me, but with our lack of scorers (even though Briere is sooooo streaky) I wouldn't be shocked if they kept him, and attempted to trade him again the deadline if things were going south. I know people will say that Briere isn't that great anymore etc, but look at some of the other options we have... :sarcasm:

RoDu 04-13-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jray42 (Post 63867971)
If his goal was to stay in Philly then he's an idiot. If he wanted to stay in Philadelphia, he should have waived, and then gotten a buy out from his Playoff team to re-sign here for cheaper.

not sure if they can do that

RJ8812 04-13-2013 02:08 PM

I don't understand why he wouldn't. I mean, ya, his family and all, but is his goal not to win the Stanley Cup in his career? It won't be happening here this season, and it's doubtful that will happen in the following 2 seasons as well.

RoDu 04-13-2013 02:09 PM

You don;t have to leave but you can't play here anymore

RJ8812 04-13-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoDu (Post 63868521)
not sure if they can do that

why not? the rule is he can't be re-acquired by the team that bought him out for the following season

If he would have gotten traded to Boston, they could have bought him out after the season, and then he would be a UFA and free to sign with any of the other 29 teams

MsWoof 04-13-2013 02:16 PM

This is why players want NTC/NMCs. Maybe if they buy him out he'll just retire or move permanently back to Canada. I totally get why he won't move given his family situation and also his career winding down.

RoDu 04-13-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ8812 (Post 63868613)
why not? the rule is he can't be re-acquired by the team that bought him out for the following season

If he would have gotten traded to Boston, they could have bought him out after the season, and then he would be a UFA and free to sign with any of the other 29 teams

eh, I dunno, but I wouldn't take him back cheaper

Giroux It 04-13-2013 02:29 PM

I think the biggest problem is, even if Briere was healthy, I sure as hell wouldn't have taken him over Jagr (especially in Boston's case). I really don't know how many teams would match up with us for a Buy out candidate who is having an absolutely abysmal season

achdumeingute 04-13-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ8812 (Post 63868613)

Because there is no certainty they buy him out and don't just trade him to the Blue Jackets or something.

TheKingPin 04-13-2013 03:56 PM

Does he not realize that if he's not traded the he will be bought out and then not allowed to stay in philly?

achdumeingute 04-13-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKingPin (Post 63874173)
Does he not realize that if he's not traded the he will be bought out and then not allowed to stay in philly?

And he will probably make more overall money from a new deal AND get to choose 100% where he wants to be.

The ONLY positive thing he loses out on by not waiving his NMC is a chance at winning a cup this year.

Its a complete no brainer for him to force a buyout.

TheKingPin 04-13-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by achdumeingute (Post 63874923)
And he will probably make more overall money from a new deal AND get to choose 100% where he wants to be.

The ONLY positive thing he loses out on by not waiving his NMC is a chance at winning a cup this year.

Its a complete no brainer for him to force a buyout.

Just how much do you think he is going to make? Guy scores 15 pts a year on a offense oriented team. He can't resign here after a buyout so he is going to have to go somewhere else. He could control that same thing with his nmc if we traded him.

achdumeingute 04-13-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKingPin (Post 63877405)
He could control that same thing with his nmc if we traded him.

No, because we don't HAVE to deal him where he wants to go (meaning if he only wants to go to say detroit, and we don't like the offer, we dont make a deal), and his NMC is essentially gone with his new team, freeing them to ship him to florida in the offseason.

If we buy Briere out, he misses out on 1.7m of his remaining 5m (over 2 years). I think he can sign a 2 year deal for more than that, and thus more money in his greedy little hobbit pockets.

Giroux It 04-13-2013 04:52 PM

Lets trade him to Florida, so they can flip him to LA Kings and they can win another cup! Man we just can't catch a break here. We should just say he has concussion problems and put him on LTIR, problem solved!

TheKingPin 04-13-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by achdumeingute (Post 63877591)
No, because we don't HAVE to deal him where he wants to go (meaning if he only wants to go to say detroit, and we don't like the offer, we dont make a deal), and his NMC is essentially gone with his new team, freeing them to ship him to florida in the offseason.

If we buy Briere out, he misses out on 1.7m of his remaining 5 (over 2 years). I think he can sign a 2 year deal for more than that, and thus more money in his greedy little hobbit pockets.

Probably could make more but I'm not sure much. And with his nmc he can choose to waive only with teams that he wants to play for. So he very much has all the choices. Happens all the time. And why would his clause be void if he was traded?

TheKingPin 04-13-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giroux It (Post 63877643)
Lets trade him to Florida, so they can flip him to LA Kings and they can win another cup! Man we just can't catch a break here. We should just say he has concussion problems and put him on LTIR, problem solved!

Can't buy him out then

Coppy 04-13-2013 05:16 PM

I really don't get people angry at Briere for not waving his NTC.

Lets say your employer came to you tomorrow and said "hey, we need you to move half way across the country... by tomorrow. Don't worry about your family and the life you've built for yourself here, you can handle that later. Btw, this doesn't mean your going to get paid anything extra. So, see ya."

How would you react?

Briere has built a life here. He obviously living here and likes playing for the team. There is no guarantee anyone would buy him out after the season. For a lot of teams, he would be perfect. Next year his actual salary is less than half his cap hit. For lower budget teams not worried about the cap, they'd probably keep him.

If I'm Briere, there is absolutely no reason to waive my NTC. If the Flyers want to buy me out at the end of the season, than let them. Then I can choose where I want to play next, and I have months, not hours before to make the move.

Hockeypete49 04-13-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Bill Clement could be talking out of his ass, but during the pregame show, he clearly stated Briere refused to waive his NMC leading up to the Trade deadlineI guess Buy out it is.

I missed that statement by Clement. But one thing he is not and that is a liar. He would not toss a remark like that on the air unless he was 100% sure it was true. Danny has a contract and can do what he wants. But if indeed he was approached about waiving his NMC and said no, that sucks. You would think the guy would try to help the Flyers out. I mean the guy has made a decent living since he signed the contract. I know he has issues concerning his kids, but who is he fooling? He is only buying himself a few months before he will most likely be brought out then he will have to look for a job. I mean he could have worked with the Flyers here by giving them a list of teams he might go to and if no deal could be made then so be it. But to say no right off the bat then that really twists my horns. There is no way they can keep a guy who will make 10% of the cap alone next year when he offers no bang for the buck during the regular season. He is basically forcing their hand.

MsWoof 04-13-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 (Post 63879199)
I missed that statement by Clement. But one thing he is not and that is a liar. He would not toss a remark like that on the air unless he was 100% sure it was true. Danny has a contract and can do what he wants. But if indeed he was approached about waiving his NMC and said no, that sucks. You would think the guy would try to help the Flyers out. I mean the guy has made a decent living since he signed the contract. I know he has issues concerning his kids, but who is he fooling? He is only buying himself a few months before he will most likely be brought out then he will have to look for a job. I mean he could have worked with the Flyers here by giving them a list of teams he might go to and if no deal could be made then so be it. But to say no right off the bat then that really twists my horns. There is no way they can keep a guy who will make 10% of the cap alone next year when he offers no bang for the buck during the regular season. He is basically forcing their hand.

Why would he do anything to help him if he doesn't want to uproot his family and move? This has nothing to do with the Flyers and everything to do with his family situation. If they buy him out he could still live in Philly and retire. He negotiated the NMC in good faith and has every right to do what he wants.

achdumeingute 04-13-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKingPin (Post 63877789)
And why would his clause be void if he was traded?

Because they frequently are?

LA didn't honor Richards and Carters, NSH didn't honor Weber's. It happens.

achdumeingute 04-13-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 (Post 63879199)

He's doing it because it's MUCH better for him to be bought out.

MUCH BETTER.