HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Eastern Europe (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Ukraine: WC Division 1B in Donetsk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1403815)

JTPoni23 04-14-2013 01:25 PM

WC Division 1B in Donetsk
 
Tourney opens today in Donetsk, Ukraine is currently beating Romania 6-0 after the 2nd period. Here's the final roster that was submitted prior to today's action.

http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/z...psc03301ff.jpg




And here's the lineup for the game today against Romania

http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps19ed4080.jpg

ozo 04-14-2013 01:32 PM

Poor roster, but luckily even poorer opponents.

smitty10 04-14-2013 01:47 PM

Missing Kasyanchuk, Razin, Poni, Donika and Fedotenko really makes this roster look weak. Not to mention Klimentyev retiring and Gongalsky not yet representing the NT yet.

Hopefully they can advance and put together a better roster next year.

JTPoni23 04-14-2013 01:49 PM

Great to see Zakharov and Petrangovsky make it. Although I think Zakharov was scratched today haha. Petrangovsky has an assist, so it's great to see the juniors get involved!

JTPoni23 04-14-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty10 (Post 63936553)
Missing Kasyanchuk, Razin, Poni, Donika and Fedotenko really makes this roster look weak. Not to mention Klimentyev retiring and Gongalsky not yet representing the NT yet.

Hopefully they can advance and put together a better roster next year.

Doesn't help that the lockout made the season finish at the end of April either. Devils and Flyers look to both be out of the hunt, so Poni and Fedotenko may have been available. Really need to be promoted this year and make do with what they have, look towards next year as you said.

ozo 04-14-2013 02:00 PM

Still near future looks bleak. Unless they start to naturalize Russians elite tier is a pipe dream.

JTPoni23 04-14-2013 02:03 PM

It's a final, 8-1 win over Romania to open up the tourney. Estonia tomorrow at 1pm EST, I'll be watching in class haha

SoundAndFury 04-14-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozo (Post 63937317)
Still near future looks bleak. Unless they start to naturalize Russians elite tier is a pipe dream.

At the time - yes, but with all the money they are pouring into hockey now they'll get there at some point. Obviously it may take 20 years but still.

ozo 04-14-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundAndFury (Post 63940529)
At the time - yes, but with all the money they are pouring into hockey now they'll get there at some point. Obviously it may take 20 years but still.

That's why said "near future". And even then, the only place where the money is poured in is Donetsk. Not much investment elsewhere...

smitty10 04-14-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundAndFury (Post 63940529)
At the time - yes, but with all the money they are pouring into hockey now they'll get there at some point. Obviously it may take 20 years but still.

They're improving already. Guys like Toryanik, Padakin, Kvitchenko, Zakharov, Martyshko and Skripets will be big for the future of Ukrainian hockey. If Gaiduchenko would agree to represent them internationally they'd be in much better shape.

smitty10 04-14-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozo (Post 63940771)
That's why said "near future". And even then, the only place where the money is poured in is Donetsk. Not much investment elsewhere...

Berkut Kiev has a new hockey school and seems to have become the premier franchise in Kiev. They iced a good PHL team with quite a few KHL caliber players.

ozo 04-14-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty10 (Post 63940993)
They're improving already. Guys like Toryanik, Padakin, Kvitchenko, Zakharov, Martyshko and Skripets will be big for the future of Ukrainian hockey.

No they are not improving, but, yes, players you listed will be a big part of a pretty bleak immediate future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty10 (Post 63941081)
Berkut Kiev has a new hockey school and seems to have become the premier franchise in Kiev. They iced a good PHL team with quite a few KHL caliber players.

And almost went bust mid-season.

JTPoni23 04-14-2013 03:33 PM

Sorry I'm kind of new here, do you have a personal vendetta against Ukraine or something?

smitty10 04-14-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozo (Post 63941755)
No they are not improving, but, yes, players you listed will be a big part of a pretty bleak immediate future.



And almost went bust mid-season.

I agree the future isn't extremely appealing right now, but there has been a lot of improvement in their hockey as of late. Adding a MHL team or two is the next thing they should be looking at so that they can retain their top junior talent.

Berkut has their financial issues and I think they overspent on contracts this past season. Guys like Toryanik, Mikhnov and Gongalsky could all end up in the KHL next season. Seeing young guys like Toryanik and Kvitchenko getting playing time in the KHL is a step in the right direction for Ukrainian hockey. As they continue to have more players playing top tier hockey it can only benefit the NT.

JTPoni23 04-14-2013 04:03 PM

Attendance for today's game was 3824, just 300 short of a sellout.

ozo 04-14-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTPoni23 (Post 63942247)
Sorry I'm kind of new here, do you have a personal vendetta against Ukraine or something?

Yeah, you certainly are new here. :laugh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty10 (Post 63942885)
I agree the future isn't extremely appealing right now, but there has been a lot of improvement in their hockey as of late. Adding a MHL team or two is the next thing they should be looking at so that they can retain their top junior talent.

Berkut has their financial issues and I think they overspent on contracts this past season. Guys like Toryanik, Mikhnov and Gongalsky could all end up in the KHL next season. Seeing young guys like Toryanik and Kvitchenko getting playing time in the KHL is a step in the right direction for Ukrainian hockey. As they continue to have more players playing top tier hockey it can only benefit the NT.

There's not much new I can say, I'm afraid. I follow Ukrainian hockey too much to not see that this revival is not happening properly and that you see positives where there are none. :)

vorky 04-14-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTPoni23 (Post 63936637)
Great to see Zakharov and Petrangovsky make it. Although I think Zakharov was scratched today haha. Petrangovsky has an assist, so it's great to see the juniors get involved!

Is he moving to Donbass in MHL next season? Do you have any info? Zakharov is under contract with Donbass, so he is going to play MHL for them.

JTPoni23 04-14-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vorky (Post 63944499)
Is he moving to Donbass in MHL next season? Do you have any info? Zakharov is under contract with Donbass, so he is going to play MHL for them.

Unfortunately haven't seen anything about that. Would be great if he does though!

BalticWarrior 04-15-2013 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozo (Post 63943871)
Yeah, you certainly are new here. :laugh:



There's not much new I can say, I'm afraid. I follow Ukrainian hockey too much to not see that this revival is not happening properly and that you see positives where there are none. :)

I`m sorry ozo,but you must be one of the most pessimistic posters around this part of the board :laugh:

JTPoni23 04-15-2013 03:12 PM

Another 8-1 win over Estonia, back on top of the standings.

JTPoni23 04-16-2013 11:51 AM

Very insightful article including some great quotes from Khrystych.

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...ash=fb0f2294dd

JTPoni23 04-18-2013 03:23 PM

Geez that was way too close. Tymchenko finally wins it in OT over the Dutch! Props to the Netherlands goalie though, 40 plus saves and only 2 goals allowed.

smitty10 04-18-2013 10:04 PM

Ukraine should easily beat Poland and advance back to the division they belong in. This team would be in much better shape if the country could retain its best players, instead of losing them to Russia. Imagine Zherdev, Babchuk, Ponikarovsky, Fedotenko, Gaiduchenko, Vishnevsky and Tverdovsky all represented Ukraine (or at least on a regular basis)? Not to mention the amount of young players who have opted for Russian citizenship instead. This team could be competitive in the 1-A division with teams like Kazakhstan, Italy and Hungary, if not better than them.

JTPoni23 04-20-2013 01:22 PM

3 unanswered goals and Ukraine goes up 3-2 after the 2nd! Holy jumpin' Darren Pang!

JTPoni23 04-20-2013 02:24 PM

Wooo! Back up where they belong!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.