HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Philadelphia-Vancouver (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1404707)

Red Haired Shanks 04-15-2013 06:46 PM

Philadelphia-Vancouver

*Philly buys-out G Ilya Bryzgalov
- Although this season was not entirely his fault, he has been very inconsistent and hasn't shown himself to be an elite goaltender. Plus with the recent media stories ( him falling asleep) you can tell he does not want to be here. With the team the Flyers have they have a chance at the cup, Luongo can give them a consistent goaltender that can backstop the defense. Mason has not proved himself to be a good goaltender either, and other options such as Bernier and UFA goaltenders are risky and are not as good as Luongo (hate him all you want but the only thing decreasing his value is his contract length, not his production or skill). as it stands right now Luongo is the best option for a team like Philadelphia who has a chance to win the cup next year.
now with my trade

Philadelphia trades:
RW Matt Read,
2013 3rd round draft pick
conditional 2014 2nd round draft pick ( If the Flyers make the playoffs, If not it turns into a 4th round draft pick)

to Vancouver for:
G Roberto Luongo (retains 25% of salary - $1.333 retained)
2013 4th round draft pick
2014 3rd round draft pick

Why Philly does this:
-Luongo is a great goalie, besides 2 games this year against Detroit he has been great. With Luongo the Flyers get a goalie to bolster their defense and steal a couple games. Vancouver was not playing much better than Philly earlier this year, and Luongo played great with a sub par defense in front of him (as a Vancouver and Philly fan i can say vans defense earlier this season was just as bad as the flyers, but Schneider and Luongo were better than Bryzgalov). Luongo's value is low but not completely gone, so getting Couts or Simmonds is out of the question.

Why Van does this:
-Luongo is a #1 goalie, unfortunately Schneider is the #1 in Vancouver. Luongo is a great asset to have but he doesnt to much if he is sitting on the bench.

so what do you tihnk?

FlyingPhilly 04-15-2013 07:17 PM

I doubt the Canucks would do this.

I want no part of Luongo's contract. It is too long even with Van retaining salary.

slappipappi 04-15-2013 07:21 PM

Too much for any team to give up for a contract no one wants.

Philadelphia Ducks 04-15-2013 07:30 PM

No thanks, don't want that contract especially after our last big time contract blew up in our face.

DJOpus 04-15-2013 07:30 PM

I wouldn't do it as a Canucks fan.

As a Canucks fan, I'd rather buyout Luongo then retain any of his salary.

Also, as with most threads, people assume Luongo has no value because they couldn't extract somewhere between a 1st + Colbrone to 2 x 2nds + Scrivens for him at the deadline...there's still a long way to "no value" and with compliance buyouts making space more available, there should be more options in the summer - the price MAY go up if there is demand.

Devonator 04-15-2013 07:38 PM

Vancouver, you are in the same boat we are in...we both have awful contracts for our goalies...in Philly, we will be buying ours out and we certainly will not be replacing it with a contract that is just as bad.

Honestly, that should be obvious....I would love to have Lou for the next couple of years but only if he is bought out by Vancouver and we can get him on a much better contract.

Djp 04-15-2013 07:38 PM

keep dreaming.....you arent going to get anything for Luongo, unless Vancouver eats a good chunk of his salary.

DJOpus 04-15-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djp (Post 64008569)
keep dreaming.....you arent going to get anything for Luongo, unless Vancouver eats a good chunk of his salary.

I don't need to dream. The Canucks are a solid team even if they have to give away Ballard + Luongo to get under the cap because we have a goalie that is dependable...having two right now isn't a problem and I love how people teams with zero dependable goalies keep saying that we're screwed (not necessarily you, no idea what team you cheer for).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devonator (Post 64008565)
Vancouver, you are in the same boat we are in...we both have awful contracts for our goalies...in Philly, we will be buying ours out and we certainly will not be replacing it with a contract that is just as bad.

Honestly, that should be obvious....I would love to have Lou for the next couple of years but only if he is bought out by Vancouver and we can get him on a much better contract.

There is one major difference. Luongo is actually a good goalie while your goalie is a mess.

In fact, the Canucks have two top 10 goalies (IMO) while Philly has none, so it is a very different situation.

BrindamoursNose 04-15-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJOpus (Post 64008813)
I don't need to dream. The Canucks are a solid team even if they have to give away Ballard + Luongo to get under the cap because we have a goalie that is dependable...having two right now isn't a problem and I love how people teams with zero dependable goalies keep saying that we're screwed (not necessarily you, no idea what team you cheer for).

I don't think anyone said you're screwed at goaltender position. They're just saying that Luongo is pretty untradable.

kihei 04-15-2013 10:38 PM

These Luongo threads are like dandelions. The mods zap them, and they pop right back up.

Can't see Philly doing this, given their recent experience with Ilya. At the moment, the market for Luongo seems virtually non-existent.

Devonator 04-15-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJOpus (Post 64008813)

There is one major difference. Luongo is actually a good goalie while your goalie is a mess.

In fact, the Canucks have two top 10 goalies (IMO) while Philly has none, so it is a very different situation.

That is possibly true but we still cannot replace one awful contract with another...I like Lou...I think he is a solid goalie but that contract is an absolute albratross for you guys!

The Couturier Effect 04-15-2013 11:05 PM

No GM in their right mind would give up anything for Luongo. That's easily one of the worst contracts ever. He's getting bought out just like Bryz.

Homegrown Kings 04-16-2013 12:01 AM

I don't understand why you made the draft picks like that.

If Homer is going to buy-out Bryzgalov, I don't see why he'd take on a nearly identical contract. Plus Philadelphia just extended Mason. He's terrible, but it looks like they'll be trying to roll with Bryz-Mason next season.

Would be more interested in Schneider on the Flyers.

SchennSational1022* 04-16-2013 12:03 AM

Can anyone explain why Luongo wont get amnestied? Canucks clearly arent going to keep him, his contract is an albatross and canucks have no takers. Any GM who is interested should just wait till they buy him out

Al Swearengen 04-16-2013 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 (Post 64033523)
Can anyone explain why Luongo wont get amnestied? Canucks clearly arent going to keep him, his contract is an albatross and canucks have no takers. Any GM who is interested should just wait till they buy him out

James Duthie is certainly doing his best to make this scenario come true. But if you're George McPhee or Dave Nonis or whoever, and you play the waiting game, and then Luongo goes to the Flyers for some prospects/picks or whatever, aren't you going to feel like you effed up a little? Lets say that Roberto Luongo is a top-10 goaltender. Lets also say that you believe he will still be a top-10 goaltender in 4 years (which isn't unreasonable). Isn't paying 5.3m/season, (which is less than the going rate for a top-flight goaltender) for four years and then buying out the remaining 8-million or so worth it if you're a franchise who can afford it *that doesn't already have one?
*Edit

Edit #2: I know Matt Read isn't just some prospect. He's good. I am speaking in hypotheticals.

Barney Gumble 04-16-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 (Post 64030967)
That's easily one of the worst contracts ever.

How would you describe the contract of Bryz then?;) Luongo's contract length is awful but at least he's a legit NHL starter currently unlike the other guy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 (Post 64033523)
Can anyone explain why Luongo wont get amnestied?

Canucks don't have as deep pockets as the Flyers.

PhillyCurt12 04-16-2013 09:55 AM

How about:
Philly Buys out Bryz
Van buys out Lu
Philly signs Lu
Van signs Bryz

Horvat2Virtanen 04-16-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyCurt12 (Post 64042769)
How about:
Philly Buys out Bryz
Van buys out Lu
Philly signs Lu
Van signs Bryz

No Bryz is terrible while Luongo is still elite. Such idiocy in this thread it's unbearable.

NitHeel 04-16-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Gumble (Post 64042407)
How would you describe the contract of Bryz then?;) Luongo's contract length is awful but at least he's a legit NHL starter currently unlike the other guy.

Bryz is overpaid, but he is ABSOLUTELY a starting NHL goalie. He's been very low on the list of Flyers' problems this year.

Number1RedWingsFan52 04-16-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyCurt12 (Post 64042769)
How about:
Philly Buys out Bryz
Van buys out Lu
Philly signs Lu
Van signs Bryz

Yeah if Philly can get to Luongo first and Vancouver can get to Bryz once each other is bought out any of the 29 teams out there could sign them of course alot of team are set in Goal and besides if you think that your going to sign Bryz or Lu any cheaper then they are now your just kidding yourself.

tsujimoto74 04-16-2013 10:38 AM

Why would Philly buy out Bryz only to take on an similarly awful contract in Luongo?

BrindamoursNose 04-16-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NitHeel (Post 64043229)
Bryz is overpaid, but he is ABSOLUTELY a starting NHL goalie. He's been very low on the list of Flyers' problems this year.

Depending on who you ask, but I absolutely agree.

SteenMachine 04-16-2013 11:00 AM

Why on Earth would you get out from under Bryzgalov's contract just to find a worse one... hey while they're at it, flip Mason for DiPietro so they can secure the injured backup role.

blankall 04-16-2013 11:08 AM

It's the swapping of 3rd/4th round picks that really makes Philly want to jump all over this...

SnS 04-16-2013 11:13 AM

Read isn't moving.