HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Detroit Red Wings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   OT: Michigan Sports Talk III: In Search of a Left Fielder (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1406051)

Winger98 04-17-2013 08:56 AM

Michigan Sports Talk III: In Search of a Left Fielder
 
continue

Winger98 04-17-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan (Post 64111259)
Nope. We don't have anyone better. Does it matter anyways? It's like complaining that Kirk Maltby shouldn't be playing on the '09 Red Wings. They're averaging close to 6 runs per game right now, and Kelly was batting in the 9 hole anyways, so he would see the least at bats in a game and have the least amount of high leverage situations.

Yeah, it's not a huge deal right now. A bigger deal is Martinez and Avila rounding into form. I'm not real worried about Martinez, figure he has a lot of rust to work off, but he'll get there. I don't like that they apparently asked Avila to hit more homers. I think it was at SB Nation that I read that Avila flyball rate is now way up from his career norm, and I wonder if we're just going to see more long fly outs rather than sharply hit singles and doubles.

Shoalzie 04-17-2013 09:17 AM

Why play 3 outfielders? Let's just shade Hunter and Jackson in the power alleys and stick an extra infielder behind second base as a rover, softball-style. :D


So thrilled at how well Hunter has fit in with this team...he and Jackson are tremendous together. All you need is any of the next 3 guys to hit well each night and get solid pitching and you're almost a sure thing to take 2 of every 3 game series.

Winger98 04-17-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoalzie (Post 64112443)
Why play 3 outfielders? Let's just shade Hunter and Jackson in the power alleys and stick an extra infielder behind second base as a rover, softball-style. :D


So thrilled at how well Hunter has fit in with this team...he and Jackson are tremendous together. All you need is any of the next 3 guys to hit well each night and get solid pitching and you're almost a sure thing to take 2 of every 3 game series.

Hunter's been a godsend for us. What's scary is that Miggy's always been an RBI machine, and now he has two guys routinely getting on base (three if you count Infante in the nine spot). If Hunter and Jackson can get on-base, Miggy (and Biggy) could have a huge year.

JmanWingsFan 04-17-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winger98 (Post 64111887)
Yeah, it's not a huge deal right now. A bigger deal is Martinez and Avila rounding into form. I'm not real worried about Martinez, figure he has a lot of rust to work off, but he'll get there. I don't like that they apparently asked Avila to hit more homers. I think it was at SB Nation that I read that Avila flyball rate is now way up from his career norm, and I wonder if we're just going to see more long fly outs rather than sharply hit singles and doubles.

Martinez has been making a lot of contact with the ball. Avila is what makes me nervous. He really needs to get it going. He takes a way too cautious approach at the plate, which shows in his team leading 15 Ks. He needs to make more contact with the ball.

The Nose 04-17-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan (Post 64113489)
Martinez has been making a lot of contact with the ball. Avila is what makes me nervous. He really needs to get it going. He takes a way too cautious approach at the plate, which shows in his team leading 15 Ks. He needs to make more contact with the ball.

He's got such a long swing its not surprising. He's fine at the 7 or 8 spot though.

I didn't like last night's lineup with Kelly (or whoever would be) batting 9th. I'd rather Infante always bat 9th, even if that meant 4 straight right-handed batters.

sarcastro 04-17-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Nose (Post 64114297)
He's got such a long swing its not surprising. He's fine at the 7 or 8 spot though.

I didn't like last night's lineup with Kelly (or whoever would be) batting 9th. I'd rather Infante always bat 9th, even if that meant 4 straight right-handed batters.

I never like any lineup with Kelly in it. Ever.

The Nose 04-18-2013 12:08 AM

Scherzer was a monster tonight. Unfortunately so was Felix.

kuick 04-18-2013 12:34 AM

Extra innings in baseball put me to sleep. They should follow in suit of the NHL and add a shootout style gimmick to end games.

Rapid fire home run derby? :sarcasm:

JmanWingsFan 04-18-2013 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuick (Post 64165349)
Extra innings in baseball put me to sleep. They should follow in suit of the NHL and add a shootout style gimmick to end games.

Rapid fire home run derby? :sarcasm:

That'd be unfair for a team like the Tigers who have Miggy and Prince.

WingedWheel1987 04-18-2013 05:10 PM

We beat their ace and it's looking like they are going to beat our ace.

Maybe they have a ninth inning rally in them.

sarcastro 04-19-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan (Post 64169465)
That'd be unfair for a team like the Tigers who have Miggy and Prince.

Tigers are 23rd in the AL in homers. It's still early and some of that is CoPa, but they also don't have a lot of big power guys after you're done with Miggy and Biggy. A lot of 10-15 HR guys in Jackson, Hunter, VMart, Dirks, Avila, Peralta, and Infante.

If you can only bat the big guys once, I'd bet the Tigers would lose more HR Derbies than they'd win.

WesNichols14 04-19-2013 05:27 PM

but they lead the AL in batting average, and are 2nd in OBP so I'll take the trade off.

sarcastro 04-19-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WesNichols14 (Post 64278595)
but they lead the AL in batting average, and are 2nd in OBP so I'll take the trade off.

Right, I like the way they've been hitting for the most part.

But they wouldn't be great in a HR Derby.

The Nose 04-19-2013 11:43 PM

And now we can't buy a run :laugh:

Syckle78 04-20-2013 02:42 PM

Rick ****ing Porcellololol

TheMoreYouKnow 04-20-2013 02:45 PM

Porcello's ERA for this game must be around 100

Shoalzie 04-20-2013 02:45 PM

While we're at...let's stick to a 4-man rotation. :help:

The Nose 04-20-2013 02:45 PM

Am I reading that right? 9 runs in the first inning?

Shoalzie 04-20-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Nose (Post 64330783)
Am I reading that right? 9 runs in the first inning?



Yup...

The quickest I've ever turned off a Tigers game. I had a sick feeling Trout was going to hit a slam.

Konnan511 04-20-2013 04:19 PM

Smyly should have been the starter since day 1

Kronwalled55 04-20-2013 05:46 PM

Smyly certainly made his case today. A lefty in the rotation wouldn't hurt either.

sarcastro 04-21-2013 05:32 PM

Tigers just got Joyced on a force out at 2nd. Should have had runners at 1st and 2nd with no outs in the 9th. Infante beat the throw by 3 feet.

The Nose 04-21-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarcastro (Post 64404623)
Tigers just got Joyced on a force out at 2nd. Should have had runners at 1st and 2nd with no outs in the 9th. Infante beat the throw by 3 feet.

It wasn't even close to being close.

sarcastro 04-21-2013 05:47 PM

VMart sucks. Is he done?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.