HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Florida Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Player Discussion: Now That We Have Seen Him, Opinions On Bjugstad So Far. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1406085)

Georgia Panther 04-17-2013 10:06 AM

Now That We Have Seen Him, Opinions On Bjugstad So Far.

From what I've seen so far, and he's not getting big minutes nor playing on a line with offensively productive players, I think it may be a year or two before Bjugstad is the impact offensive player we think he can be. From what I've seen, the size advantage he had in College isn't the same in the NHL and he must develop his other skills to be the impact player in the NHL that he was in College. This is not a knock and should have been expected but I don't think the Panthers can count on him to be an offensive force next season.

Dread Clawz 04-17-2013 10:09 AM

We should not have expected him to be an offensive force next season anyway. A team can't rely on a rookie who is a great but not elite prospect. Nothing has changed.

HockeyRulez 04-17-2013 10:12 AM

eehhh he needs more time and better linemates...

RainingRats 04-17-2013 10:12 AM

Of course we can't count on him to be an offensive force. I think he's got a good chance of starting in the AHL next season and we prob should have him there to develop his offensive game. Having Skille and Upshall as linemates doesn't help much either.

He uses his big body to protect the puck very well but he's not a physical force despite his size.

What he really needs is more confidence. He looks like he's thinking and tentative. He needs to get more confidence in his offensive game and get more comfortable at the NHL level and he'll start being okay. He has top 6 potential but right now he'd be better suited in the AHL to develop his offensive game.

gudzilla 04-17-2013 10:44 AM

as soon as teh first point comes in he'll start being more confident. so far i've liked his two way play. he doesn't lay the body a lot but he can battle in the corners and protect the puck well

adam graves 04-17-2013 11:00 AM

this season ha ended up being rookie camp, as explained by DT. Let him gain minutes, and evaluate again in September.
So much has to do with whether Weiss or a lst line FA is signed.

ShootIt 04-17-2013 11:21 AM

Liked What I've seen so far.

Wasn't expecting points/goals these handful of games. Especially being thrown into the fire after the NCAA season.

Hopefully he sees What the NHL is like and What he has to work on to make the squad next year

angry_treefrog 04-17-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Georgia Panther (Post 64114379)
From what I've seen so far, and he's not getting big minutes nor playing on a line with offensively productive players, I think it may be a year or two before Bjugstad is the impact offensive player we think he can be. From what I've seen, the size advantage he had in College isn't the same in the NHL and he must develop his other skills to be the impact player in the NHL that he was in College. This is not a knock and should have been expected but I don't think the Panthers can count on him to be an offensive force next season.

You needed to create a thread to state the obvious?

Did anyone expect Bjugstad to come up and start tearing things up?

From what I've seen at BB&T - he looks big out there. His strength is obvious - even against NHL men - when he takes the body it's generally the opposing player who gets the worst of it... and it's only going to get better.

In a couple of years, I think this guy is going to create major headaches for opposing teams.

AmericanJedi 04-17-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angry_treefrog (Post 64119349)
You needed to create a thread to state the obvious?

Did anyone expect Bjugstad to come up and start tearing things up?

From what I've seen at BB&T - he looks big out there. His strength is obvious - even against NHL men - when he takes the body it's generally the opposing player who gets the worst of it... and it's only going to get better.

In a couple of years, I think this guy is going to create major headaches for opposing teams.

I couldn't agree more. Beyond what you already said, he's had moments when he's displayed good hockey IQ and vision. In a couple of years, or maybe even next year, those moments will stack up to form consistent game-to-game norms. I don't like when we try to gauge how long it will be before a player approaches his potential, or even when we debate what the ceiling of that potential is. Its not a negative thing on us-its in our nature as sports fans to draw out evaluations-but so much of his development depends on him; its not fair to make projections when he's so young. I don't see any reason why he cant be an all-star, and I don't see many indicators that he'll be a bust. I'm all for him spending the first half of next season in the AHL, though

Ghoste 04-17-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dej (Post 64116271)
as soon as teh first point comes in he'll start being more confident. so far i've liked his two way play. he doesn't lay the body a lot but he can battle in the corners and protect the puck well

Yeah, I like his backchecking. His skating and battle along the boards are good too.

I'm still ticked that Dineen only let him, Huby, and Matthias play 20 seconds of that last PP. We already know what Kopy, Goc, and Flash look like as a unit. Why give them 1:40 of that PP? And why throw out Upshall as the extra skater? Sux

-ghoste

Eggblag 04-17-2013 12:02 PM

I think he's been okay on a terrible team. Since the plan is obviously to stay the course and build through the draft, these kids are going to be relied upon to produce. Their line mates aren't going to get better. They are eventually going to have to be the difference makers. Then Tallon will bring in the extra line talent through trades or FA pickups to top the cake.

gudzilla 04-17-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghoste (Post 64119937)
Yeah, I like his backchecking. His skating and battle along the boards are good too.

I'm still ticked that Dineen only let him, Huby, and Matthias play 20 seconds of that last PP. We already know what Kopy, Goc, and Flash look like as a unit. Why give them 1:40 of that PP? And why throw out Upshall as the extra skater? Sux

-ghoste

they seeing if upshall should be bought out? only logical reason

5 Hole 04-18-2013 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam graves (Post 64117197)
this season ha ended up being rookie camp, as explained by DT.

Yes.

Montsy14 04-18-2013 11:18 AM

Still haven't really seen enough to make an opinion. It's going to take more than 10 games to confidently make an assessment.

One thing I have noticed is that he seems to be really focusing on his play in the defensive zone.

Dread Clawz 04-18-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montsy14 (Post 64176535)
Still haven't really seen enough to make an opinion. It's going to take more than 10 games to confidently make an assessment.

One thing I have noticed is that he seems to be really focusing on his play in the defensive zone.

He's always very mindful of his own zone, much like Shore. I can't wait until he gets put on the PK. He clogs passing lanes and gets his stick on pucks with his condor-like reach.

IceManCat 04-18-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montsy14 (Post 64176535)

Yeah I'll second this he looks like hes very much focused on the defensive side of the ice. I think we'll have to be more patient with him than guys like Shore and Howden, big men always take a longer time.

FlaPnthrsPunk 04-18-2013 12:39 PM

I think it's way too early to tell what to make of him. Tallon brought him in just to see the game at the pro level, which should help him adjust to what he needs to work on during the off-season.

gudzilla 04-25-2013 01:13 PM

nvm made seperate topic

Holy Jokinen 04-25-2013 05:32 PM

I've already seen some pretty big improvements in the few games he's been up with the big club. Where he used to tentatively play the puck quickly, i now see him taking a bit more time and making a smart solid play with the puck. He still needs work, and should gain some confidence at the AHL level hopefully, but i'm not worried at all. I still think everyone is spoiled by Huby's performance, which is a rare one.