HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Dallas Stars (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Going to Out of Town Games (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1407073)

beeker16 04-18-2013 12:56 PM

Going to Out of Town Games

Which have you been to?
How have the fans been?

Last game I went to was DAL@MIN in my #9 jersey and actually got a lot of compliments from locals. Town was pretty boring though. Nice, quaint...but boring. Had dinner at that dining car from the mighty ducks movie and found a dive bar that was actually open.

Currently thinking of DAL@LAK now since I'll be in the area.

Stars99Lobo37 04-18-2013 01:07 PM

Out of town Stars games...
Four in St. Louis ('06,'07, 2 in '08), One in Chicago ('08), Two in Nashville ('07, '08), One in Phoenix ('09), One in San Jose ('09), One in New Jersey ('10), One in New York (MSG, '10).

Out of town other games I've been too...
San Jose (vs NSH, '09), Los Angeles (vs NSH, '09), Phoenix (vs NSH, '09), Washington (vs CAR, '10), Carolina (vs PHI, '10), Pittsburgh (old the barn, vs PHI, '10), Nashville (vs STL, '08), Boston (Game 7 ECF vs TB, '11), St. Louis (close to 20).

Then haven't seen a game there but been to the arena, Ottawa ('05)/Toronto ('05)/Columbus ('09)/Atlanta ('11)/Buffalo ('11)/Anaheim ('12)/Minnesota ('12).

Got a lot of crap in St. Louis and New York, but was just friendly fire. Nothing too bad. Worst place I ever had it was in San Jose. Was harassed the entire night, and try to get to and from the arena without someone throwing something, or pulling their car over to scream at me, or something of that nature was just a headache. Have no desire to ever return for a Stars game there. New Jersey was fun, despite losing 5-0, just because of sitting next to a Stars fan. Went to Chicago when they had absolutely no one going to their games, so their fan base I'm sure is different now, but then I got so many thanks for showing up to the game and asking if I had a good time etc.

Going to try and make it to Colorado this next upcoming season, and hopefully see Phoenix one last time before they head out. Definitely need to make it to the Joe and Nassau before they close their buildings.

Edit: And made it to Nassau during the playoffs so yay.

Frozen Failure 04-18-2013 01:18 PM

The Pepsi Center rocks. I saw a pair of games two Thanksgivings ago, one against Vancouver, one against Dallas.

oconnor9sean 04-18-2013 01:18 PM

I've been to one game in St Louis, we scored 2 in the 3rd to win, and that was when all hell broke lose. I was 16 at the time, and the only one in my family of 4 wearing a Stars jersey, and stuff was thrown at me and i was cursed at MANY times.

I would never go back, the fans inside Scottrade Center were *****es and rude.

CRSeven 04-18-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 (Post 64181485)
Out of town Stars games...
Four in St. Louis, One in Chicago, Two in Nashville, One in Phoenix, One in San Jose, One in New Jersey, One in New York (MSG).

Out of town other games I've been too...
San Jose (vs NSH), Los Angeles (vs NSH), Phoenix (vs NSH), Washington (vs CAR), Carolina (vs PHI), Pittsburgh (old the barn, vs PHI), Nashville (vs STL), Boston (Game 7 ECF vs TB), St. Louis (close to 20).

Then haven't seen a game there but been to the arena, Ottawa/Toronto/Columbus/Anaheim/Atlanta.

Got a lot of crap in St. Louis and New York, but was just friendly fire. Nothing too bad. Worst place I ever had it was in San Jose. Was harassed the entire night, and try to get to and from the arena without someone throwing something, or pulling their car over to scream at me, or something of that nature was just a headache. Have no desire to ever return for a Stars game there. New Jersey was fun, despite losing 5-0, just because of sitting next to a Stars fan. Went to Chicago when they had absolutely no one going to their games, so their fan base I'm sure is different now, but then I got so many thanks for showing up to the game and asking if I had a good time etc.

Going to try and make it to Colorado this next upcoming season, and hopefully see Phoenix one last time before they head out. Definitely need to make it to the Joe and Nassau before they close their buildings.

San Jose...closest arena for me, so if I want to see Stars games, that's where it's at...:(

The fans there are a disgrace, really.

I went to an Oilers Ducks game at Honda Center last year. It wasn't bad. There were quite a bit of Oiler fans, but I saw no problems with any of the fans; they all seemed pretty cool.

Stars99Lobo37 04-18-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cristiano Ronaldo (Post 64182823)
San Jose...closest arena for me, so if I want to see Stars games, that's where it's at...:(

Yea, that would suck. I wouldn't go back there for a Stars/Sharks game at all.

CorwiN 04-18-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 (Post 64183149)
Yea, that would suck. I wouldn't go back there for a Stars/Sharks game at all.

You know, I'm sure some screwed up stuff happens here occasionally, but I've never seen anything like that happen at Stars home games. Even with obnoxious away fans.

I know that there's one particular Sharks fan that acts like a complete tool every time he goes to a Stars-Sharks game at the AAC. One time I was a bit suspicious that he might catch a beating on the train after the game, talking a fair bit of smack after a Sharks win around some seriously drunk locals.

There's a Sharks fan on HFboards who makes a big deal about being miserable living in Texas, and I've always imagined that obnoxious-train-guy is actually him.

Stars99Lobo37 04-18-2013 01:51 PM

There was actually a Sharks fan that pretty much was losing it on the way to his car or the train last Saturday after the game. Clearly was drunk as hell. Screaming at all the Stars fans etc about how his team had made the playoffs however many times in a row. No idea what set him off, whether it was a fan saying something or just the game itself, but pretty ridiculous. And definitely isn't the first time I've seen San Jose screaming at Stars fans in Dallas before.

Only other time I can remember at the AAC, Stars fans getting into it with other teams fans was once with Detroit after that Ott shootout winner a couple years ago that who knows if the goal ever went in or not.

LordHelmet 04-18-2013 02:01 PM

I've been to three out of towners..

2007 playoffs, game 5 in Vancouver. My wife and I were joined by maybe 8 other stars fans in an arena of 18,000. That place was seriously loud. When the Stars scored the OT goal to win 1-0, the place was dead silent except for us 10 Stars fans and the Stars bench. We were at the opposite end from where Morrow (I think) scored and could hear the players yelling & celebrating on the ice. It was awesome. Vancouver fans were pretty cool to us as well.

In January 2010, I got to go to Montreal for work. I took my wife with me and spent the weekend before, and the Stars played the night we landed. Stars lost 5-2, but it was fun. Again, pretty cool crowd..

And finally I saw them again back in October when the Stars played here in St. Paul. 1-0 loss this time, but at least I got to see Jagr play for us.

Now that I live here in the Cities, I'll be going to pretty much every Dal @ Min game.

MetalGodAOD 04-18-2013 02:19 PM

BankAtlantic Center (Panthers)
St Pete Times Forum (Bolts)
MSG (Rangers)
Prudential Center (Devils)

Only one I got really heckled was at the Devils game. That was mostly because it was their home opener and they lost in Overtime (Brad to Loui in the season of sadface).

Frozen Failure 04-18-2013 02:29 PM

That was such a dirty snipe by Loui to beat Brodeur.

Cin 04-18-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frozen Failure (Post 64185675)
That was such a dirty snipe by Loui to beat Brodeur.

That really was an awesome goal.

Troy McClure 04-18-2013 03:08 PM

Wild. That game was amazing. They put on one hell of a show. Beautiful arena in a fantastic, small downtown. If you go, I recommend staying in Minneapolis because it has more going on. St. Paul is a good place to walk around for a few hours before the game.

Sabres. Wore a Stars hat. Met a lot of Stars fans who were mostly from Ontario. The Sabres fans would look at the Stars logo, but they were all nice. Mostly, the look I saw was sadness. A nice place to see a game. They do a good job in the concession area offering up food with an Eastern European influence.

Pens at the Igloo. That arena was horrible. It even made Reunion look luxurious. There was no connection to the dressing rooms from the players benches, so the equipment guys would put sticks and water bottles in shopping carts and walk those carts from the zamboni door down the ice to the benches to get set up for games. That hell hole won't be missed.

DaStars99 04-18-2013 03:21 PM

Been to three other arenas for a Stars game

United Center in Chicago (5x) -- the fans their are just like the ones that invade the aac, bandwagon. My first game there was when Chicago kind of sucked and it was empty.

Nationwide Arena in Columbus -- fans where okay they didn't really care about opposing fans just let us go about our business.

Scottrade Center in Saint Louis -- meh

Stars99Lobo37 04-18-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troy McClure (Post 64187437)
Pens at the Igloo. That arena was horrible. It even made Reunion look luxurious. There was no connection to the dressing rooms from the players benches, so the equipment guys would put sticks and water bottles in shopping carts and walk those carts from the zamboni door down the ice to the benches to get set up for games. That hell hole won't be missed.

That arena was so bizarre in how you enter and get to your seats and such. Glad I was able to attend a game there before they took it down, but completely agree about Reunion being luxurious compared it.

ginblossoms 04-18-2013 03:38 PM

present at the various 3rd period debacles at staples center... mostly friendly banter and repartee every time i went...

LordHelmet 04-18-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troy McClure (Post 64187437)
Wild. That game was amazing. They put on one hell of a show. Beautiful arena in a fantastic, small downtown. If you go, I recommend staying in Minneapolis because it has more going on. St. Paul is a good place to walk around for a few hours before the game.

I'll second this. When locals talk about downtown, they're talking about Minneapolis. Not much going on in downtown St. Paul unless there's a game. Museums & other stuff is cool during the day though. In a few years, the light rail (currently between the Mall of America, the Airport, and downtown Minny will be expanded to connect to St. Paul. That will be great for visitors..

Troy McClure 04-18-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EndBoards (Post 64188961)
I'll second this. When locals talk about downtown, they're talking about Minneapolis. Not much going on in downtown St. Paul unless there's a game. Museums & other stuff is cool during the day though. In a few years, the light rail (currently between the Mall of America, the Airport, and downtown Minny will be expanded to connect to St. Paul. That will be great for visitors..

I spent a couple of months in Minneapolis for work. I love that city and area. I wasn't there during winter to know if I could take the full experience, but the Twin Cities have a lot to offer. It's big enough to give you lots to do, but it's still a clear midwestern city where everyone is incredibly nice.

Modo 04-18-2013 04:22 PM

The only "out of town" Stars game I've ever seen, was when I went to Dallas 4-5 years ago. :laugh:

Seen em play a bunch of times here in Toronto, obviously, but it was great to finally visit the the heart of Stars country. Saw them beat Minny. This was also the same day they extended Ribeiro's contract, if I remember correctly.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin 04-18-2013 04:34 PM

Well since I don't live in Dallas I've been to more away games than home games (Only one). Detroit, Buffalo, Toronto, and Columbus.

In Detroit, the fans were either in a joking attitude (Security guard said "You can't come in here" than laughed) or didn't care. In Columbus they didn't care. In Toronto a couple drunk Leafs fans outside said something but otherwise they were fine. Buffalo was actually the worst. Got a lot of flak from Buffalo fans, one even tried to fight me (Started to insult me then when I laughed and walked away the one started swearing and said to come "ight him so he he could "kick my ass"). I was sitting with other Dallas fans and non-hostile Buffalo fans so during the game I wasn't bothered.

LordHelmet 04-18-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troy McClure (Post 64189259)
I spent a couple of months in Minneapolis for work. I love that city and area. I wasn't there during winter to know if I could take the full experience, but the Twin Cities have a lot to offer. It's big enough to give you lots to do, but it's still a clear midwestern city where everyone is incredibly nice.

It's great. Moving from South Texas to here was one of the best things I've ever done. And I say that even though it's raining/sleeting/snowing outside right now and we're supposed to get about 5" over night (it's Apruary!).

The cold is different here because it's usually not humid or windy. Even then, it's only humid, windy, and cold (like today) for a few days out of the year. I'll gladly take 5 days of this per year over the 200+ days of 92-99 degree heat and 95+% humidity that we'd get EVERY year in South Tx.

TrillMike 04-18-2013 04:43 PM

Little off topic, but while we're complaining about other fans. I was at the Stars vs Philly game at the AAC last year. There were about 5-6 completely obnoxious Philly fans starting crap with everyone in our section. They managed to sneak flasks in and were getting super drunk. Security eventually kicked them out of the arena.

Satan 04-18-2013 04:49 PM

I haven't been to a Stars game yet. I don't think I'd toss on a jersey though. 6'7" Dallas fan in Montreal/Philly etcetc is a big target.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin 04-18-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Gary Oak (Post 64191959)
I haven't been to a Stars game yet. I don't think I'd toss on a jersey though. 6'7" Dallas fan in Montreal/Philly etcetc is a big target.

Montreal isn't so bad. I know a lot of Leafs fans who go to Montreal wearing Leafs jerseys and they don't get any trouble.

I would never wear an opposing teams jersey if I went to Philly. Never, ever ever. That's just asking for trouble. Not even joking, I wouldn't feel safe walking out of the arena at 10:00 PM.

Troy McClure 04-18-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Gary Oak (Post 64191959)

You'd probably be welcomed in Montreal. The Stars spent the better part of a decade serving as a retirement home for Habs fan favorites.