HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Comrie Tantrum (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=14075)

Edge 09-24-2003 05:19 PM

Comrie Tantrum

Any remember the games Comrie where comrei padded his pim totals with on ice tantrum {i dont remember the specific games but i do remember them being talking about during the smyth contract debates on here}.

G-Double 09-24-2003 05:56 PM

are you talking about the two ejections he picked up in a row...against the Thrashers in the fight with Kovalchuk and then that elbow he laid to forsberg the next night against the avs when forsberg had him all but done like dinner?

if not i don't know, but i think he got 37 or 30+ pims in those 2 games...

thome_26 09-24-2003 06:15 PM

Ya, that sorta sounds familiar........
I like that in a player - especially small ones. They have to play tenacious and maybe even dirty.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 09-24-2003 06:26 PM

The fight was obviously a jersey thing, nothin you can do about that, his bad for not doing it up, but that game misconduct for elbowing was a total joke. Congrats to Petey on a typical Oscar-worthy performance. I've seen that guy put on so many whine or dive displays it's just sad, especially for a guy who gets a reputation as being tough.

thome_26 09-24-2003 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
The fight was obviously a jersey thing, nothin you can do about that, his bad for not doing it up, but that game misconduct for elbowing was a total joke. Congrats to Petey on a typical Oscar-worthy performance. I've seen that guy put on so many whine or dive displays it's just sad, especially for a guy who gets a reputation as being tough.

yes, your right, now I remember..... Forsberg looked like he was from Holywood, not Sweden on that play....

Aaron Vickers 09-24-2003 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thome_26
yes, your right, now I remember..... Forsberg looked like he was from Holywood, not Sweden on that play....

I was at the game...and although Forsberg missed a few shifts, it looked absolutely harmless, and worthy of nothing more than two minutes.

creative giant* 09-24-2003 07:30 PM

Comrie had a third game misconduct last season. It came when he gave a player ( I think it was against the Flames ) a slew foot. Brutal play by Comrie.

The elbow wasn't pretty either, but Forsberg laid it on thick for the refs. Didn't warrant a game misconduct IMO.

Belcriss 09-24-2003 07:56 PM

Personally, I thought Comrie's elbow was in self defence cause Forsberg was about to run him from behind. Forsberg ran into it, and went down. Funny thing is, once Comrie was gone, and the Avs went on the PP, Forsberg didnt' miss a shift. Yeah, the refs REALLY blew that call.

oilers_guy_eddie 09-24-2003 08:05 PM

Boy, what a misleading thread title.

FWIW, I don't think Comrie deserves any criticism for either of those ejections (the Kovalchuk fight or the Forsberg elbow). I mean, who hasn't wanted to ram an elbow into Forsberg's grill at some point?

And, while it's not exactly on topic for this thread, I think Comrie is handling himself as well as could be expected under the circumstances.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 09-24-2003 08:14 PM

Gimme the chance, I'll ram both elbows into Forsberg's grill :yo:

Jewelly 09-24-2003 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge
Any remember the games Comrie where comrei padded his pim totals with on ice tantrum {i dont remember the specific games but i do remember them being talking about during the smyth contract debates on here}.

You mean the 'hair pulling contest'? :lol:

Vyse64 09-24-2003 09:31 PM

I was hopeing Forsberg would have lost his teeth with that elbow

USC Trojans 09-24-2003 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewelly

no no no, that was the Comrie-Kovalchuk fight. :p

Seachd 09-25-2003 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewelly

Yeah, but it didn't end up being much of a contest. Kovalchuk did all the pulling... that was funny. I remember some Atlanta fans saying "He kicked Comrie's ass!"

dawgbone 09-25-2003 11:57 AM

Comrie dumped the puck in, and about 2 seconds later, Forsberg was going to hammer him into the boards.

The stupid part, is that if Comrie had let flopper hit him, he would have probably gotten hurt, and Forsberg wouldn't have gotten squat.

BCCHL inactive 09-25-2003 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belcriss
Yeah, the refs REALLY blew that call.

You cannot blame the referees for that. They're not allowed to assume that a player is faking injury, and make the call based on that assumption.

Comrie got gassed from that game solely because of Forsberg's acting degree.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 09-25-2003 04:01 PM

[QUOTE=Van]You cannot blame the referees for that. They're not allowed to assume that a player is faking injury, and make the call based on that assumption.[QUOTE]

Interesting, I've seen them do it.

BCCHL inactive 09-25-2003 06:47 PM

[QUOTE=LoudmouthHemskyfan#1][QUOTE=Van]You cannot blame the referees for that. They're not allowed to assume that a player is faking injury, and make the call based on that assumption.
Quote:

Interesting, I've seen them do it.
Not likely.

What you will see referees do, is wait a few minutes in order to determine how bad the player is hurt. I do it all the time. If a player is down, it doesn't mean that he is automatically injured. He might be winded, in which case I will give 2 minutes after I come to that conclusion. But if the player needs to be taken to the dressing room for medical attention, if he is bleeding (while a technical injury, not always that harmful), I gotta kick the other player out. And don't forget that the referee can give major penalties with his judgment on the severity of the infraction.

I don't remember the exact play with Comrie and Forsberg...but if the trainer (ie: medical professional) says he is injured, there isn't much the referee can do. I'm not saying the Colorado trainer did this, but in such a situation, the referee cannot go back on his call when Forsberg comes back the next shift. What he would likely do, is include that information in his game report after the game.

IceDragoon 09-25-2003 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Van
I don't remember the exact play with Comrie and Forsberg...but if the trainer (ie: medical professional) says he is injured, there isn't much the referee can do. I'm not saying the Colorado trainer did this, but in such a situation, the referee cannot go back on his call when Forsberg comes back the next shift. What he would likely do, is include that information in his game report after the game.

I do remember the play. Forsberg was going full tilt at Comrie near the boards. Comrie saw him coming, dished the puck off and put his arm up to protect himself. Forsberg turned slightly, rubbing against Comrie's upper arm (elbow was about 4-5 inches from his face), then he tossed his head back and threw himself on the ice like he'd been cold-cocked. It was ridiculous, but Flopper does it and gets away with it all the time.

edit - sorry - rubbing against Comrie's upper arm (elbow was about 4-5 inches from his face) - wasn't as clear as I meant - should have read - (the closest Comrie's elbow came to his face was about 4-5 inches) before he rubbed against MC's upper arm...

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 09-25-2003 07:22 PM

This kind of talk brings me back to one of my main complaints about the rule-book, especially the bleeding issue. You've got players biting them selves so that they bleed after, and then waving their arms until the ref gives the guy a bigger penalty, all that kinda stuff, it's pathetic. Let's not have this turn into soccer.

Oiler_Fan 09-25-2003 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
This kind of talk brings me back to one of my main complaints about the rule-book, especially the bleeding issue. You've got players biting them selves so that they bleed after, and then waving their arms until the ref gives the guy a bigger penalty, all that kinda stuff, it's pathetic. Let's not have this turn into soccer.

Actually, the book doesn't mention anything about blood. It's "Attempt to Injure" or "Deliberate Injury".) . It's the refs that use blood as a sign that this is so. I'm not sure we are near the soccer levels :)

BCCHL inactive 09-25-2003 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oiler_Fan
Actually, the book doesn't mention anything about blood. It's "Attempt to Injure" or "Deliberate Injury".) . It's the refs that use blood as a sign that this is so. I'm not sure we are near the soccer levels :)

Although the book does not specifically mention blood, it is the general concensus that blood falls into the category of "causing injury".

Here is the elbowing rule:

"Rule 53

(a) A minor or major penalty, at the discretion of the Referee, shall be imposed on any player who uses his elbow to foul an opponent.

(b) When a major penalty is imposed under this Rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent, a game misconduct shall be imposed and an automatic fine of one hundred dollars ($100)."

By the book, the right call was made. Forsberg likely did milk it, but there isn't much the referees can do about that. That is a league issue, and I'm sure Forsberg will have a few fines sent his way by the NHL this season.

IceDragoon 09-25-2003 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Van
Here is the elbowing rule:

"Rule 53

(a) A minor or major penalty, at the discretion of the Referee, shall be imposed on any player who uses his elbow to foul an opponent.

(b) When a major penalty is imposed under this Rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent, a game misconduct shall be imposed and an automatic fine of one hundred dollars ($100)."

By the book, the right call was made.

How can you say "the right call was made"? You didn't see it. From every replay angle it was clear that Comrie's elbow didn't touch Forsberg. The ref bought Flopper's performance. In this case the wrong call was made.

kraigus 09-27-2003 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceDragoon
How can you say "the right call was made"? You didn't see it. From every replay angle it was clear that Comrie's elbow didn't touch Forsberg. The ref bought Flopper's performance. In this case the wrong call was made.

I did see it, and from what I recall thinking the call was bad, but understanding how the refs could have miscalled it. Sure, "from every replay angle it was clear"... but the refs don't call penalties from the replays! Like Van says, if the player looks badly hurt, you have to bite on it as a referee; I just wish they'd call the diving penalty more often. "OK Peter, you got away with it last time, in fact, you drew a major.. look, you just made a marginal flop, 2 minutes for diving, how you like that?" would cure him fairly quickly, I think. But the stars get away with more than the non-stars do, and compared to Forsberg, Comrie's Pluto.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 09-27-2003 07:47 PM

Here's my favorite Forsberg story:

Colorado is in town, Forsberg takes a penalty for tripping right at the end of the period, and then refuses to leave the ice. He stands there gesturing and yelling until the referee finally comes back onto the ice and talks with him. At this point, the zambonis are already doing the ice, and there's Forsberg, whining his head off, over an obvious tripping call. What was he saying? "Do you know who I am? You stripey people don't make the money I do, and you DON'T give ME penalties, these people are here to see ME, and not in the penalty box" maybe?

And then there was the year we beat Colorado in the first round, and the chant went........FORSBERG SUCKS! FORSBERG SUCKS! FORSBERG SUCKS!