HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   runners question.... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1408053)

ot92s 04-19-2013 06:49 PM

runners question....

I need new runners. Does anyone make a runner with an aggressive forward pitch or are they all neutral? Ive always had the skate shop do it before but I could find some right out of the box it would save me a few pennies.

FlowNoMo 04-19-2013 07:29 PM

Runners are all straight I believe. Holders are a different story. I believe Graf holders are more forward pitched, don't quote me on that though.

AIREAYE 04-19-2013 07:43 PM

I believe that runners all neutral in the sense that none receive a profiling out of factory. The radius differ between brands however. Best to get them profiled from scratch by a knowledgeable tech.

Pcmm 04-19-2013 07:55 PM

Pro shop will have to profile I don't know of runners that have lift out of the box.

kr580 04-19-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ot92s (Post 64285061)
it would save me a few pennies.

Are a few pennies worth the incorrect pitch and radius? Get a local guy you trust to get the right profile on there.

ot92s 04-23-2013 02:30 PM

thanks guys, to the skate shop it is.

howeaboutthat 04-23-2013 03:11 PM

Speaking of runners, I've found two pairs of skates binned at the rink this week with perfectly good runners that fit my E-Pro holders.

Skip rat I may be but runners are 23 each over here in the UK and now I have two spare pairs. 92 saved.

Amazing what people throw away.

Malarowski 04-23-2013 06:52 PM

Piggy backing on this, what is the advantage of profiling runners. Is it something everybody should consider doing that, or is that just for specific preferences of a few people?

AIREAYE 04-23-2013 06:58 PM

It's an attempt to optimize balance, rockering, pitch and other geometric attributes of one's steel to their skating style, needs and preferences. Most people do just fine on stock steel and do not notice a need for any type of profiling. However, if done correctly and the time/effort is taken to dial in the exact specifications, then many people find a tremendous benefit.

Jarick 04-24-2013 08:45 AM

The better your technique, the more profiling matters. Once you've established a preference, it's best to stick with that profile, and tweak as needed. For beginners, stock profiles or something neutral would be ideal (9-10' and neutral pitch).

Early on, I had my skates profiled. They took my height, weight, position, and watched me walk, then came up with a profile for me. I can't recall what they did but it didn't make much of a difference, kind of a waste of $40.

But when I switched from Bauer to Graf, I went from 9' to 11' radius and neutral to forward pitch, and I had a real difficult time with my transitions, quick turns, and balance. After a month or so I had them profile to match Bauer specs and it was night and day improvement. Well worth the money in that case.