HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Should the Flyers offer Anton Khudobin a contract? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1408601)

Fresh34 04-20-2013 01:50 PM

Should the Flyers offer Anton Khudobin a contract?

He's played well in his time as a starter this season. While limited, still played well. Has plenty of AHL experience as a starter and is only 26. How much could he really cost? $2-2.5mil at the most? If Bryzgalov gets amnesty'd, maybe they should go this route. Have him compete and split time with Mason. Nothing wrong with giving yourself more young goalie options.

RJ8812 04-20-2013 01:51 PM

Bryz isn't going to get bought out this summer

Jray42 04-20-2013 01:56 PM

I would like Khudobin if we didn't have Mason. But he cant come here since were not likely to amnesty Bryz, and even if we did, I would be petrified to go into the season with Khudobin and Mason as the Goalies.

LegionOfDoom91 04-20-2013 02:02 PM

No. The only guys I can see the FO dumping Bryz for is Luongo (if bought-out) or Bernier (through trade). My money would be on Bryz and Mason as our tandem for next year.

GoneFullHextall 04-20-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ8812 (Post 64321391)
Bryz isn't going to get bought out this summer

then we arent improving the defense, resigning Gagne and Hall with just the Briere buyout.

Jack de la Hoya 04-20-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren (Post 64322365)
then we arent improving the defense, resigning Gagne and Hall with just the Briere buyout.

We have more cap space then you are implying:

Quote:

FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Danny Briere ($6.500m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Simon Gagne ($3.000m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Adam Hall ($0.750m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m)
Jay Rosehill ($0.675m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Erik Gustafsson ($0.975m) / Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m)
Bruno Gervais ($0.825m) /
GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Steve Mason ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Oskars Bartulis ($0.100m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,201,667; BONUSES: $2,800,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $898,333
Basically, Pronger eats all but $1 million of the offseason cushion, but there's plenty of space for a big-salary addition if you buy-out Briere.

RoDu 04-20-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya (Post 64322571)
We have more cap space then you are implying:

Basically, Pronger eats all but $1 million of the offseason cushion, but there's plenty of space for a big-salary addition if you buy-out Briere.

and looky looky who just got healthy

Jack de la Hoya 04-20-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoDu (Post 64323931)

What?

LEIFey 04-20-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya (Post 64324711)
What?

Briere is healthy again, which means he's eligible for a buyout.

The Couturier Effect 04-20-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoDu (Post 64323931)

Nevermind...

Jack de la Hoya 04-20-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEIFey (Post 64326355)
Briere is healthy again, which means he's eligible for a buyout.

I know--but that's not what was being discussed, was it?

The poster I was responding to implied that were limited in the amount of money we could spend improving the defense unless we bought out both Bryzgalov and Briere.

I was simply pointing out that there's quite a bit of money available without having to buy out Bryzgalov.

BillDineen 04-20-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jray42 (Post 64321783)
I would like Khudobin if we didn't have Mason. But he cant come here since were not likely to amnesty Bryz, and even if we did, I would be petrified to go into the season with Khudobin and Mason as the Goalies.

I would be more confident than Bryz and MFL. It is not going to happen, but I would not be any worse than the start of this year.

sobrien 04-20-2013 03:56 PM

We'd be close to having too many good, young options at goalie, if there was such a thing. We'd have Mason, Stolarz, potentially looking into Eriksson, and maybe Khudobin? I was concerned after acquiring Mason and then looking into Hartzell that it'd be too much of a logjam. I understand it seems stupid to think having too many options in the crease is a bad thing, but that's kind of what chased Bob out of town...there was another well-paid option and no opportunity for him to win the job.

LegionOfDoom91 04-20-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sobrien (Post 64331405)
We'd be close to having too many good, young options at goalie, if there was such a thing. We'd have Mason, Stolarz, potentially looking into Eriksson, and maybe Khudobin? I was concerned after acquiring Mason and then looking into Hartzell that it'd be too much of a logjam. I understand it seems stupid to think having too many options in the crease is a bad thing, but that's kind of what chased Bob out of town...there was another well-paid option and no opportunity for him to win the job.

Khudobin's going to be 27 in less than 3 weeks. While he's still young, he's hitting his prime unlike Mason, Erikisson, and Stolarz.

That said I remember hearing that Khudobin may head back to Russia if he's not given a starting role this upcoming season. I'm not sure if he said that or if that's people just speculating.

Honestly every game of his I watched I didn't really see starting goalie material. He's a really solid option as a backup but I don't see a legit starting goalie in him.

CTU2fan 04-20-2013 08:15 PM

I'd love to see them sign Khudobin (if Bryz is amnesty'd this summer). Go into next season with a Mason/AK tandem, have a roughly 50/50 split unless/until somebody really grabs the job and thrives. Big picture, that's what the Flyers should be doing to address the goaltending issue. Instead of paying big for what a guy has done (Bryz), bring in guys with upside and see what you have, and then pay to re-sign them if they succeed here.

Obviously if AK is looking for only #1 jobs then it's probably not an option, because I think they need to see what they have in Mason.

Mgkibbles 04-20-2013 08:23 PM

I've seen Khudobin a few times this year. He's really, really impressive. I'd love him to be here.

Flyerfan4life 04-20-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgkibbles (Post 64349369)
I've seen Khudobin a few times this year. He's really, really impressive. I'd love him to be here.

if hes the guy im thinking of, i'd like to see him here aswell, sadly my memory is kinda foggy if hes the dude im thinking of or not.

Hockeypete49 04-20-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fresh34 (Post 64321349)
He's played well in his time as a starter this season. While limited, still played well. Has plenty of AHL experience as a starter and is only 26. How much could he really cost? $2-2.5mil at the most? If Bryzgalov gets amnesty'd, maybe they should go this route. Have him compete and split time with Mason. Nothing wrong with giving yourself more young goalie options.

Not this year.It looks like Frodo is gone unless they can find a trade partner that he is happy with. But I really find that hard to believe. Now next year if things do not improve some, he may go then.

sobrien 04-20-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 (Post 64337277)
Khudobin's going to be 27 in less than 3 weeks. While he's still young, he's hitting his prime unlike Mason, Erikisson, and Stolarz.

That said I remember hearing that Khudobin may head back to Russia if he's not given a starting role this upcoming season. I'm not sure if he said that or if that's people just speculating.

Honestly every game of his I watched I didn't really see starting goalie material. He's a really solid option as a backup but I don't see a legit starting goalie in him.

Ah ok, didn't know how old he was. Doesn't sound like a bad stopgap until we know about Stolarz in a couple seasons...but then again neither does Mason at times.

DrinkFightFlyers 04-21-2013 12:35 AM

Meh. I'd take a chance on him maybe, but I wouldn't bank on him being a starter. He has a shot, but if the Flyers are buying out Bryz, I don't think Khudobin is the answer. Mason-Khudobin might be ok, but if Mason fails I wouldn't have too much confidence in Khudobin.

dats81 04-21-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren (Post 64322365)

Just being curious...who would you like them to spend the money on? It's not like any of those guys hitting FA look like they would help us to improve the defense...
The only way to make a splash is via trade which probably means sending significant value and salary the other way.
This team is young and more or less cheap at forwards so cap wise we don't have that much to worry about at least for next season.

usahockey22flyers 04-21-2013 12:23 PM

For some odd reason, I'll never forget the night he shut us out in Minnesota.

GoneFullHextall 04-21-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dats81 (Post 64378765)
Just being curious...who would you like them to spend the money on? It's not like any of those guys hitting FA look like they would help us to improve the defense...
The only way to make a splash is via trade which probably means sending significant value and salary the other way.
This team is young and more or less cheap at forwards so cap wise we don't have that much to worry about at least for next season.

I know that, the free agent list for defenseman is pretty limited. people wonder why we paid Timonen 6 million for next year? thats why. He would have probably been the top guy on the market this summer if he would of hit the open market. Some of the better guys on the market are players we have enough of.
They are probably going to trade someone who many dont want to trade. Or overpay for Mark Streit.

Ryker 04-21-2013 11:07 PM

If Bryz was bought out this summer, I'd be really confident going into the season with a duo of Khudobin and Mason.

budscweizer16 04-22-2013 01:55 PM

posted about AK about a month ago.
I really think he has big upside.
hes been good in every game ive seen him in.
If I were the Flyers id take a flyer on him, and see what hes got.
give him 2.5 mil.
Ive been saying it for months now. I have to be among his biggest supporters on these boards.