HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   What First Round Match-Ups Would You Like to See? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1409299)

MayonnaiseOreo 04-21-2013 10:51 AM

What First Round Match-Ups Would You Like to See?

The playoffs are looming closer and closer now but some teams have a chance to still get in that are on the outside (Detroit and Winnipeg are on the doorstep, with Dallas and Phoenix close as well), and some teams can still move up or down in the standings that are in the playoffs. Who do you want to see playing each other in the first round?

As it stands, I love the current seeding in the East and would be happy if it stayed as is.

1 PIT vs. 8 NYR - Great rivalry and could make for a fun media circus.
2 MTL vs. 7 OTT - May not be the biggest rivals in the NE but I still think it would be entertaining.
3 WSH vs. 6 NYI - I'd love to see Ovechkin and Tavares squaring off in a series. Both teams are fun to watch.
4 BOS vs. 5 TOR - Who doesn't want to see this?

Again, I'm really hoping the East will keep those current seedings.

Out West, I don't get to watch the teams as much so I don't have much of an opinion but I'm sure you Western Conference fans can fill me in on preferred match-ups.

West standings as of today:
1 CHI vs. 8 CBJ - I think the Blackhawks would own this series but I'd love to see Bobrovsky stand on his head and steal it for the Blue Jackets.
2 ANA vs. 7 MIN - Don't know too much about these two's history but I think I'd like this series.
3 VAN vs. 6 STL - Again, don't know much history between these two.
4 LA vs. 5 SJ - This would be a fun series to watch without a doubt.

I'd prefer San Jose fall to 6th place and play Vancouver in the first round and think that would be the best series in the West.

What do you all want to see in the first round?

Chieftans22* 04-21-2013 10:53 AM

4 MTL (VS) 5 TOR (or 2 MTL (VS) 7 TOR)

TheLeastOfTheBunch 04-21-2013 10:54 AM

1 vs 8 - Pit vs NYR
2 vs 7 - Bos vs Ott
3 vs 6 Wsh vs NYI (two of the hottest teams going into the playoffs)
4 vs 5 Mtl vs Tor (aww yeah)

Confound 04-21-2013 10:54 AM

Bruins/Senators
Rangers/Penguins

Hawks/Wings
San Jose/Los Angeles

hatterson 04-21-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chieftans22 (Post 64381401)
4 MTL (VS) 5 TOR (or 2 MTL (VS) 7 TOR)

Starts and ends with this.

First Leafs playoff series in 9 years. First Leafs/Habs series in 34 years.

Would be absolutely epic.

Sevanston 04-21-2013 10:57 AM

I'd like to give the Wings a proper sendoff by knocking them out of the playoffs for the first time since Lidstrom's rookie season.

MayonnaiseOreo 04-21-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatterson (Post 64381495)
Starts and ends with this.

First Leafs playoff series in 9 years. First Leafs/Habs series in 34 years.

Would be absolutely epic.

I can definitely get on board with this one as well. I think both potential NE match-ups in the first round would be great. I'm not sure Toronto would fall to 7th but Boston taking 2nd place is definitely likely.

Crimson Skorpion 04-21-2013 11:00 AM

MTL (4) -VS- TOR (5)

I am REALLY hoping for this. CBC would have a field day.

Ujjy 04-21-2013 11:02 AM

Hawks/Wings

AvsFan20 04-21-2013 11:02 AM

All I'm hoping for right now is:

:blues vs :nucks

:rangers vs :pens

:kings vs :sharks

ThreeStix 04-21-2013 11:03 AM

Almost impossible to happen, but I'd love to see a Blues-Hawks first round match up. Re-kindle the rivalry.

JMcLeaf 04-21-2013 11:05 AM

PIT vs. WPG

BOS vs. OTT

WASH vs. NYI

MTL vs. TOR

Mansfield 04-21-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHI Flyers10 (Post 64381349)
4 BOS vs. 5 TOR - Who doesn't want to see this?

pretty much every leafs fan ever lmao

but seriously, even if boston didn't own us, I'd rather see us vs. the habs

hatterson 04-21-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHI Flyers10 (Post 64381633)
I can definitely get on board with this one as well. I think both potential NE match-ups in the first round would be great. I'm not sure Toronto would fall to 7th but Boston taking 2nd place is definitely likely.

It's actually not that hard.

Say the Leafs Go 0-1-1 in Florida and then lose to the Habs. Helps the Habs finish in second and the Leafs end with 56 points.

Ottawa needs to finish 2-0-2 or 3-1 to get ahead of them and the Isles would need to finish 2-1.

Certainly not probably, but far from impossible. Sports club stats has it at a ~4% chance. Overall it's a 54.9% chance Leafs/Habs in the first round.

MayonnaiseOreo 04-21-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMcLeaf (Post 64381813)
PIT vs. WPG

BOS vs. OTT

WASH vs. NYI

MTL vs. TOR

You'd prefer Pittsburgh play Winnipeg over the Rangers? I think Winnipeg is one of the more boring teams to watch in the league.

MayonnaiseOreo 04-21-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mansfield (Post 64381859)
pretty much every leafs fan ever lmao

but seriously, even if boston didn't own us, I'd rather see us vs. the habs

Fair enough! :laugh:

Though last year I was nervous about playing Pittsburgh in the first round as a Flyers fan. It was certainly entertaining and I think Toronto vs. Boston would be as well. Especially given the history of "the trade".

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatterson (Post 64381921)
It's actually not that hard.

Say the Leafs Go 0-1-1 in Florida and then lose to the Habs. Helps the Habs finish in second and the Leafs end with 56 points.

Ottawa needs to finish 2-0-2 or 3-1 to get ahead of them and the Isles would need to finish 2-1.

Certainly not probably, but far from impossible. Sports club stats has it at a ~4% chance. Overall it's a 54.9% chance Leafs/Habs in the first round.

Right, for me it's too much of a "well if this, this, and this happen, then..." sort of a situation. I think a 4 vs. 5 scenario is much more likely but for some reason I really want to see Boston and Toronto face off against each other.

source 04-21-2013 11:16 AM

PIT (1) vs. WSH (8)

BOS (2) vs. NYI (7)

WPG (3) vs. OTT (6)

MTL (4) vs. TOR (5)

Ujjy 04-21-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHI Flyers10 (Post 64381947)
You'd prefer Pittsburgh play Winnipeg over the Rangers? I think Winnipeg is one of the more boring teams to watch in the league.

Darn eastern fans have no idea what's it like to watch the west.

MayonnaiseOreo 04-21-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ujjy (Post 64382261)
Darn eastern fans have no idea what's it like to watch the west.

On top of that, I'm a Flyers fan. ;)

Wingerz 04-21-2013 11:18 AM

Id like to see the pens play the senators after all the bad blood following the Cooke - Karlsson injury.

MayonnaiseOreo 04-21-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingerz (Post 64382341)
Id like to see the pens play the senators after all the bad blood following the Cooke - Karlsson injury.

I was thinking about this match-up too, especially since Ottawa was the team that knocked Crosby out of his first playoffs and then the Pens came back the next year and beat them in the rematch. There's some good history there. I didn't even think about the Cooke incident earlier this year either.

RedWingsForPresident 04-21-2013 11:30 AM

The matchups the NHL would want to see ratings/ fan wise I think would be

East
1) Penguins vs 8) Rangers
2) Bruins vs 7) Senators
3) Capitals vs 6) Islanders
4) Canadiens vs 5) Maple Leafs

West

1) Blackhawks vs 8) Red Wings
2) Anaheim vs 7) Minnesota
3) Vancouver vs 6) St Louis
4) Kings vs 5) Sharks

Hello Newman* 04-21-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHI Flyers10 (Post 64382421)
I was thinking about this match-up too, especially since Ottawa was the team that knocked Crosby out of his first playoffs and then the Pens came back the next year and beat them in the rematch. There's some good history there. I didn't even think about the Cooke incident earlier this year either.

Pens have played the Sens twice in the post season since Crosby's first playoffs and knocked em out in 4 and 6 games. So there's definitely some bad blood between them and this year with Cooke/Karlsson incident. That would be a great series, great offense of the Pens vs the great defense of the Senators. Might not see it till 2nd round though.

JMcLeaf 04-21-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHI Flyers10 (Post 64381947)

I find Rangers games to be very boring.

The Jets playoff crowd would be amazing.

Buck Aki Berg 04-21-2013 12:58 PM

Pittsburgh/Ottawa
Montreal/Rangers
Boston/Islanders
Washington/Toronto

That way, if Ottawa, Montreal, Boston, and Toronto win, we get Habs/Sens & Bruins/Leafs, which results in a kickass ECF no matter what.