HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   What do we do with Craig Smith? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1409579)

Webersmashpuck 04-21-2013 05:38 PM

What do we do with Craig Smith?

Starting this summer, Craig Smith's salary jumps up to 2m per year. His play the last half of last year and this entire shortened season has been underwhelming at best and he only has had about a 20 game stretch that actually proves he can play hockey.

So the question is what do we do with him? He obviously makes way more money than he should, so do we buy him out? Do we keep him and eat the salary in hopes he regains form? Do we trade him for scraps to open a spot?

Personally I would try to trade him all summer and if a decent offer comes I would ship him out. If not I might try to sneak him through waivers in the fall and hope that a season in Milwaukee would do him some good.

Soundgarden 04-21-2013 06:06 PM

Be patient.

Top 6 Spaling 04-21-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundgarden (Post 64406631)
Be patient.

Yep.

Byrddog 04-21-2013 06:15 PM

It is a really bad contract. I doubt anyone would take him at any price. He will be yet another overpaid 4th liner unless they buy him out. The big mistake was never developing him in the AHL. Theres really no good answer at this point.

AEM6729 04-21-2013 07:35 PM

It would be great if we could trade him but who would take that salary?

I still think he's Rich Peverley 2.0: the second we trade him, he'll blossom elsewhere. That's not to say it would be a mistake to trade him; I think he's pretty much ruined in Nashville.

Soundgarden 04-21-2013 07:39 PM

He's only a sophomore guys. Ruined? Overpaid 4th liner? Do you guys seriously think he's peaked?

Byrddog 04-21-2013 07:41 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAtjWyvvGrM

Webersmashpuck 04-21-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundgarden (Post 64412841)
He's only a sophomore guys. Ruined? Overpaid 4th liner? Do you guys seriously think he's peaked?

I actually don't. Its just as of right now he does not belong on an NHL team and will have to pass through waivers to get to the AHL. Plus he is going to be making quite a bit of money that is never a good thing for not producing. Thats why Smith is such a quandary to me.

Byrddog 04-21-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundgarden (Post 64412841)

Well yes
113 games played 17 goals 28 assists for 45 points - 22
The - 22 is really concerning most of all this is the primary reason he did get sent to Milwaukee to work on moving and defense and of course to attempt to effect his mindset. Neither of which stuck.

Bottom line he was drafted from two years of college was and is not ready for the NHL game. There is no recourse now to put him in the AHL at a lower salary to develop. He has one more point than Clune, Butler, Yip two more points than Blum and Beck.

While the front office did not develop him as they should have there is one person responsable and that is Smith. The only area he excells in is the shootout. He is 23 years old and most have over valued him here. He simply is not top 6 material.

I hope they buy him out but I do not expect they will. I expect he wil be here next year have 6 to 9 goals and 20 or so points and go into the last year of his contract playing 5 minutes or less per game.

cleangene 04-21-2013 08:38 PM

Maybe have the coaches actually COACH him to be a better player? What a concept for team turnover, huh?

Preds33 04-21-2013 09:08 PM

Smith's biggest issue in my opinion is his confidence. I have said this before, but I think that Trotz is huge part of his lack of confidence.

AintLifeGrand 04-21-2013 09:13 PM

Ship him out; he can go pound sand for all I care

Top 6 Spaling 04-21-2013 09:16 PM

Sheesh, some tough love on here. He had a terrible season, but we've seen how good he can be. No reason to give up on him yet.

101st_fan 04-21-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byrddog (Post 64414585)
Well yes
113 games played 17 goals 28 assists for 45 points - 22
The - 22 is really concerning most of all this is the primary reason he did get sent to Milwaukee to work on moving and defense and of course to attempt to effect his mindset. Neither of which stuck.

Bottom line he was drafted from two years of college was and is not ready for the NHL game. There is no recourse now to put him in the AHL at a lower salary to develop. He has one more point than Clune, Butler, Yip two more points than Blum and Beck.

While the front office did not develop him as they should have there is one person responsable and that is Smith. The only area he excells in is the shootout. He is 23 years old and most have over valued him here. He simply is not top 6 material.

I hope they buy him out but I do not expect they will. I expect he wil be here next year have 6 to 9 goals and 20 or so points and go into the last year of his contract playing 5 minutes or less per game.

Writing him off at 23 is a stretch. The Preds couldn't develop him when he played at Wisconsin and his one off season since signing was the lockout. Wow ... the 4th rounder didn't maintain the scoring pace of his first few weeks in the league ... what a shocker.

Top 6 Spaling 04-21-2013 09:21 PM

Look at a guy like Nazem "the bust" Kadri. Everyone ragged on him for years, and now he's the Leafs #1C. I'm not saying I still expect that much out of Smith, but writing him off as a career 4th line is a bit premature. It's possible, but so is his resurgence.

barrytrotzsneck 04-21-2013 09:37 PM

I've said all along that Smith's biggest issues are the fans and the team he plays for.

He was anointed the offensive savior coming out of college based on a pretty good career at UW and a solid showing at the WHC. Aside from that, he had been a good...not great...prospect. So the fans heaped unrealistic expectations on him, and he's been mostly bad outside of the first half of his first season.

With that said, I do think he has enough talent to be a good player...but I would be surprised if it was here. I'm not calling him a bust or giving up on him, but he never moves his legs. He's a glider and a cherry picker, and like Brett Hull in Terry Crisp's Calgary, that will not work in Barry Trotz's Nashville. I'm not saying Trotz "ruined" Smith, but I think it's a case of a square peg in a round hole. On a team like Pittsburgh or San Jose, a run and gun style, Smith could probably score 25 goals.

In a system where the offense works off the forecheck rather than the rush, where he would have to get in corners and grind...I just don't see it happening. His situation is different from Wilson's in that way. It's not just a lack of defense that keeps him in the doghouse..look at Patrick Hornqvist. It's his style.

NoNecksCurse 04-21-2013 10:38 PM

i don't think smith will ever be a legit top 6 option for us from what ive seen. could be wrong.

CantbeatzPekka 04-21-2013 10:38 PM

let him develop...

predfan24 04-21-2013 11:46 PM

He's had an awful year and as others have said he is obviously not playing with any confidence right now either. Also his legs for awhile now have looked dead to me and being an explosive skater is a huge part of his game. Without that skating he isn't a NHLer.

Solution? He gets one more year IMO. Train hard in the off season. Come back in the best shape of his life, regain his swagger and play his ass off. We will likely know halfway through next season whether he has a future as a Nashville Pred or not.

predfan24 04-21-2013 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse (Post 64426593)
i don't think smith will ever be a legit top 6 option for us from what ive seen. could be wrong.

From the last half of last season and this shortened season I absolutely agree with you. Judging by the first half of the 11-12 season he looked destined to become a second guy line. The ability is there. Now the question is can he get his mind right?

I could see him becoming another Peverly if he doesn't work out here for sure.

Iron Duke 04-22-2013 01:14 AM

Just for comparison's sake:

107 Games
10 goals
31 assists
41 points

That would be Marty Erat's first two seasons in the league.

dulzhok 04-22-2013 01:20 AM

Smith was a mediocre scorer in college and it was wishful thinking on our part (and the Pred's mgmt part) that he would blossom into an NHL scorer.

He has some skills but there's too much missing to be a good top 6.

PFL615 04-22-2013 07:43 AM

If we are saying Smith is overpaid than we can ship more roster players out asap.
Smith isn't going anywhere. He will be a solid 2nd player and dependable in shootouts.
He however will not be a solid player if he is continually playing with other linemates with 0 offensive talent. Until he has regular minutes with 1st or 2nd line players we will see something similar to last year.

PredsV82 04-22-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smashville615 (Post 64437667)
If we are saying Smith is overpaid than we can ship more roster players out asap.
Smith isn't going anywhere. He will be a solid 2nd player and dependable in shootouts.
He however will not be a solid player if he is continually playing with other linemates with 0 offensive talent. Until he has regular minutes with 1st or 2nd line players we will see something similar to last year.

this was the same excuse we gave for guys like Gamache... at some point you have to be able to show something regardless of who your linemates are

that said, people arguing that we should trade (or more unbelievably, buy out) Smith are being way too premature... we dont need the cap space nor do we need the roster spot. Let him keep playing and developing...

AdmiralsFan24 04-22-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulzhok (Post 64433347)
Smith was a mediocre scorer in college and it was wishful thinking on our part (and the Pred's mgmt part) that he would blossom into an NHL scorer.

He has some skills but there's too much missing to be a good top 6.

Yikes. Tough crowd.

Just going to do a little comparison here between two Badgers less than a year in age apart from each other and how their college numbers look.

Player 1: 82 games, 27 goals, 49 assists

Player 2: 81 games, 21 goals, 66 assists

I'll let you guys figure out who those players are.