HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The History of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Collecting Hockey cards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1409971)

yave1964 04-22-2013 06:24 AM

Collecting Hockey cards

My name is Dave and I collect hockey cards (hi Dave).

I am 48 years old, and still collect cards. I have binders upon binders in my bedroom, my wife actually encourages the hobby wholeheartedly. I collect cards as well as team yearbooks, press guides, jerseys, and anything and everything Kansas City Scouts that I can get my hands on, not exactly sure where that came from.
I don't collect for monetary reasons, (though as I am beginning to categorize my collection I am amazed at its value even in this down time for the "hobby") I collect to collect, I would never dream of selling anything I have, it is not for the kids future or for the Grandsons college fund (he is 1) it is for me. Maybe that is why I don't like the show hoarders, lol, it hits a bit too close to home.
The pride of my collection is my collection of hall of fame cards. Original print cards of every player who ever had one made, with only eight to go. I am not an autograph hound, it is a bit embarrassing at my age, but I do have a couple of hundred autographs as well. And as finding stuff that I don't have is getting more and more scarce, I have taken to collecting foreign cards. Currently I have started building sets from six countries.
What say you? Is there any help or am I beyond medication or counseling? Are there any other collectors out there and would you like to share your story? What do you collect, and how do you collect?

BrimStone64 04-22-2013 07:11 AM

I lost money on cards...most everybody did. I have too many still around from those big years around 1991. I have a few favorites...that i kept...less priced cards like a Shutt or Salming rookie. Cards that meant something to me where i was a kid when they playing. Big money cards i sold to recup some money i lost.

SealsFan 04-22-2013 07:29 AM

Collected when I was a kid (early 70's) but don't have those anymore. I did buy the "retro" Parkhurst sets of the 1960s that came out a few years back; I really enjoy the look of those. I wish they would make retro sets like that of the early expansion years - or maybe they already have and I don't know about it? I haven't kept up with the card collecting scene in years.

Elever 04-22-2013 11:08 AM

See the problem is that you try to make $ on hockey cards. That doesn't work. Do it for the fun of it. I have a set going right now, it's around 700 players and counting. It's cards of every good notable player to play a decent amount of games in the NHL. I just get base cards because they're cheap and I try to get them from the last season the player played in so that the card shows almost all his career stats or a card showing his stats after he retired. This is a bit of a problem for a lot of 60s players who were not HOFers because they never had cards made for them which are affordable or which show their career stats. I also collect the Upper Deck Series 1+2 base set each year minus this one as a scrapbook of the season. Usually find a few cheap base $1-3 cards from nicer sets like Panini Prime or Dominion or Cup of the players who won or were nominated trophies or were 1st/2nd team stars the season before and put it at the front of the set and a few cards of the guys who retired the year before at the back of the set.

I design customs, right now I'm designing them mostly for players who do not have any cards showing their full year-by-year stats. These are some of the ones I mailed out to get signed which returned:

Front/back of a Bower custom, front is based on the '71 OPC and the front of another card I designed which looks a bit like the 94 Leaf Limited SE cards:
http://s9.postimg.org/6g0vzigz3/Bower_TTM_jpg.jpg

Front and back of a Red Sullivan and Wally Stanowski custom. Stanowski's the oldest living player who won a cup atm I think (and the oldest living Leaf?):
http://s8.postimg.org/gtisfmzrp/stan...d_sullivan.png

Former HOF CEO Bill Hay who won the cup in '61 and also did not have any cards showing his full year by year stats. This one took a while to do because I colorized the whole pic from black and white:
http://www.sportscardforum.com/ttm/r68051.jpg

Edgar Laprade card. I had one of his but it did not show the year by year stats on the back and he's a HOFer so I thought he should have one. He signed on the back, the front is a bit weird because I chose some poor effects for making the picture look animated and then colourized it:
http://s22.postimg.org/f0b1rsv9d/Laprade.jpg

Dickie Moore card, not a great scan but he signed the front/back. I based the front a bit on those Gypsy Queen baseball cards:
http://www.sportscardforum.com/ttm/r68599.jpg

Gary Leeman who retired in 96 but had no card made for him since 93. Front of this one also based on the OPC 71 cards:
http://s9.postimg.org/n20whiuhb/Leeman_Front_Back.jpg

And I sent one card to Leo Reise Jr. to sign (the custom on the bottom showing his stats) but he also signed another card for me (the one on the top right) and a paper with a Wings sticker which was very nice of him. I only colourized in the red parts on the custom:
http://www.sportscardforum.com/ttm/r69274.jpg

That 1971 OPC/Topps design is my favourite. I'd love to have more vintage cards from the early 70s and before for notable players but I can't really afford them though I did buy Parkhurst Missing Link cards from 93 and 94 and a few reprints.

eastcoaster 04-22-2013 02:12 PM

I long for the days when you could buy a pack of hockey cards for a nickel and with a few trades have the whole set for about a couple of bucks or so. Well except for that one elusive player who no one ever seemed to get. I remember having to trade about ten cards to get a Ron Ellis card to complete my set one year. I also remember usually ending up with someone like Bill Orban in what seemed like every second pack. It always worked that way with baseball cards as well.

As I grew older I sometimes wondered if the card companies did this intentionally to keep the kids chasing that last man and buying their cards. Did they distribute a short supply of certain players to different parts of the country or was there a place in Canada where everyone had dozens of Ron Ellis cards and no one could find a Bill Orban to finish their set?

Anyone else from back in those days who had that one guy they couldn't get?

yave1964 04-22-2013 02:13 PM

I have an individual binder for all 30 teams, each binder has cards of every current player who has a card as well as significant retired players. Also in the binders are articles, press guides, and magazines going as far back as possible.
I have four binders of teams/players who won the Stanley cup, organized by year. I have a card of every player who won a cup who had a card printed going back to 1951.
I have two binders of WHA cards and yearbooks. I have roughly 90 percent of all WHA cards ever printed, original and the newer reprints and/or subsets.
I have a binder with cards and articles from the 1972 summit series as well as the miracle on ice team.
I have a binder of KHL and other European league players, including a card on every player currently playing in Europe with NHL ties or past affiliation.
I have a Hall of Fame binder, with original print cards on every player who is currently in the Hall except a little more than a handful.
I have a random binder, getting ready to start a second one, on miscellaneous articles and cards that don't fit another category, such as I have a card of every black player who has ever played in the NHL.
And I have the coolest wife. She collects glass, candlewick and Wexford by anchorhocking. We go to antique malls in different cities, travel around as much as possible, usually one weekend a month. She coordinates everything and knows where the card stores are and their hours before we hit town. We enjoy each others hobbies. Our honeymoon years ago even consisted of a five city tour going to NHl hockey games. What a woman.
And seriously, I collect to collect. I don't give a damn what the value of any of this is, to me the thrill of finding something I have been searching for is priceless. I use ebay as a last resort as well as a few online card shops, the fun is going in to a card store I have never been in and spending hours searching and hunting to buy the three or four cards I still need. I consider the card collecting as my ultimate hobby, my ultimate high. And again, thank God I have a wife who not only understands my nerdiness but encourages it.

Killion 04-22-2013 04:13 PM

Nope. Never did collect cards, but I did collect Shirriff (they made dried/powdered bases for puddings, jello & gelatin products, similar to Jell-O) Hockey Coins. Silver dollar or Loony sized round plastic discs with a colour headshot photo insert of the player on one side, the discs in O6 team colours. Long long long since gone. I noticed on ebay a fairly flourishing trade, including original mounting plaques that I wasnt even aware existed back in the day. Only reason I ever bought cards was to play flick with em against the schoolyard wall for pennies, nickles, dimes & quarters, or if I had a hankerin for that wafer card sized piece of trailer-trash bubble-gum they pancaked into the pack covered in white sugar powder. So disgusting it was good.

SealsFan 04-23-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastcoaster (Post 64452759)
I long for the days when you could buy a pack of hockey cards for a nickel and with a few trades have the whole set for about a couple of bucks or so. Well except for that one elusive player who no one ever seemed to get. I remember having to trade about ten cards to get a Ron Ellis card to complete my set one year. I also remember usually ending up with someone like Bill Orban in what seemed like every second pack. It always worked that way with baseball cards as well.

As I grew older I sometimes wondered if the card companies did this intentionally to keep the kids chasing that last man and buying their cards. Did they distribute a short supply of certain players to different parts of the country or was there a place in Canada where everyone had dozens of Ron Ellis cards and no one could find a Bill Orban to finish their set?

Oh hell yeah, one year, I think it was 70-71, all my friends and I had the entire Topps set completed... except for Sheldon Kannegeiser!!! We kept buying and buying and buying... and no one ever got him. This was Long Island, NY, so perhaps you're right and somewhere else in the country kids had more Kannegeiser cards than they knew what to do with.

Mayor Bee 04-23-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastcoaster (Post 64452759)

There's a set from 1923-24 that involved an intentional short print. Anyone who collected an entire set of V145 hockey could redeem it for a free pair of skates; the set was returned to the collector with a hole punched in each card. In order to limit how many pairs of skates they'd have to give out, the company produced an extremely small number of Bert Corbeau cards.

Classic Auctions sold a complete unpunched set, including Corbeau (graded 3) for around $120,000.

Killion 04-23-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayor Bee (Post 64512359)
Classic Auctions sold a complete unpunched set, including Corbeau (graded 3) for around $120,000.

Isnt that interesting... theres a poster here that goes by that name, related I believe to Bert Pig Iron Corbeau. From Penetang on the SW shores of Georgian Bay. Died a Hero saving peoples lives when his yacht that he chartered out & Captained struck a sandbar off an island one cold & lonely night in 1942, & not far from my families cottage nearby.

Canadiens1958 04-23-2013 02:19 PM

Autographs

Interesting aside. The autographs of the oldtimers are actually legible, signed with respect and pride.

CarlWinslow 04-23-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killion (Post 64458047)
Nope. Never did collect cards, but I did collect Shirriff (they made dried/powdered bases for puddings, jello & gelatin products, similar to Jell-O) Hockey Coins. Silver dollar or Loony sized round plastic discs with a colour headshot photo insert of the player on one side, the discs in O6 team colours. Long long long since gone. I noticed on ebay a fairly flourishing trade, including original mounting plaques that I wasnt even aware existed back in the day. Only reason I ever bought cards was to play flick with em against the schoolyard wall for pennies, nickles, dimes & quarters, or if I had a hankerin for that wafer card sized piece of trailer-trash bubble-gum they pancaked into the pack covered in white sugar powder. So disgusting it was good.

I actually have an authentic 61-62 set, minus the shields. If I could ever find the authentic shields in decent shape for a reasonable price, I would buy them instantly.

Rorschach 04-23-2013 04:28 PM

There's also a Hockey Cards thread in the General forum.

Killion 04-23-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlWinslow (Post 64522605)
I actually have an authentic 61-62 set, minus the shields. If I could ever find the authentic shields in decent shape for a reasonable price, I would buy them instantly.

Ya, those little disc's captured my fancy. Elmer Moose Vasko, all kinds of oddballs. If you check ebay periodically, likely to find the plaques. Ive seen them listed.... another thing I collected was York Peanut Butter Team Glasses. I think they might've had individual players as well. You'd buy the peanut butter in them instead of a regular jar. Very early 60's looking artwork, somewhat crude, rough. Vanishing in the dishwasher much to my chagrin.

Melnyks Mirage 04-23-2013 04:40 PM

I don't really collect, I have some oddball stuff that I picked up over the years because I had a gleam for a player:

Patrick Roy 2nd year O-Pee-Chee (gift)
Borje Salming Rookie Card
Ken Dryden 1980ish, late 70s card
Phil Housley St. Louis Blues, signed by himself (He was here with Yzerman's baseball tour in the late 80s iirc, here being Ottawa, they signed our stuff). Phil was pretty shocked at seeing a card of himself in a Blues sweater so that was kinda funny.
Mats Naslund Rookie Card
Patrick Roy signed puck (not a card but still fun)
Game-used puck from first Habs-Leafs game at ACC.
Game-used puck from Tampa Bay Lightning All-Star Game (no idea how I got this, my crazy friend Dave went nuts for the Lightning because he's short and St. Louis is short so he thought he'd make the team...)
Wayne Gretzky Kings Upper Deck of some sort
Mats Sundin Rookie Card (Gifted to me by a Nords fan while I was a massive Habs fan, I just rolled my eyes and ssaid he'd never amount to anything, boy was I wrong :p)
Vin Damphousse Rookie Card (thought he and Marois were the next French Connection, wrong again. :p)

I guess that's most of it. Nothing of any value outside the Roy card I'd gather, but a lot of nice memories from when and where I got them.

Oh, I Ebayed the "A Celebration of the Captain" book from MSG for a pal who's nuts about Messier, he was super happy and has it on display in his living room, :)

Elever 04-23-2013 05:14 PM

Going back to the earlier post, I think I mentioned that I just do retired players and base cards of current players but I wouldn't mind picking up another jersey card or two of my favourite Avs. Atm, I have a Pronger Luxury Suite jersey card and a Stastny LSuite jersey card but they were both $2-3 from a COMC.com sale so nothing special.

However, I don't really care about the resale value so could anyone give me some pointers on what I'd do to score some cheap jersey cards of Avs players (Duchene/Landeskog/O'Reilly/Johnson mainly), I already saw a Hejduk one for fairly cheap). Which sets have the cheapest jersey cards/patches etc.

Sureshotte 04-24-2013 12:05 AM

I was browsing around Amazon the other day and randomly happened across some Panini Scores. Reasonably priced, so I bought some ($1 per pack). First packs of Hockey cards ever.

Kinda wondered why at first but I'm actually enjoying it - reminds me of collecting football (soccer) stickers back in the UK when I was younger. Not really looking for anything out of it, other than having a nice collection of cards.

yave1964 04-24-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sureshotte (Post 64567235)
I was browsing around Amazon the other day and randomly happened across some Panini Scores. Reasonably priced, so I bought some ($1 per pack). First packs of Hockey cards ever.

Kinda wondered why at first but I'm actually enjoying it - reminds me of collecting football (soccer) stickers back in the UK when I was younger. Not really looking for anything out of it, other than having a nice collection of cards.

That's how it starts, that pack of Panini Score cards is a gateway, be careful or you will wind up hanging around dark card shops like the rest of us, looking for a fix, a Tie Domi to complete a set, a Peter Laviolette to complete your coaching page. Once you start, it becomes addicting.

Boxscore 06-13-2013 11:46 AM

Dave, I'm glad people like you are still around. I've been collecting since I was 5 years old and never stopped. I have roughly 40,000 cards; 150 jerseys; 300 books; 200 magazines; 500 toys and all produced hockey videos I can get my hands on. I also have a bunch of oddball items like Jello/cereal boxes, coins, stamps, pickle jars (Deadmarsh Dills), glasses, soda bottles, table mats, lunch boxes, pillow cases, toothbrushes, etc. Anything cool and hockey-related is part of my collection.

eddytheeagle20 06-13-2013 12:51 PM

the rarest things i have is a mats sundin 5th anniversary card with his rookie card on the back and him during the 95-6 season front

a owen nolan rookie card

and two petr kilma cards from 90-1 i say rare becasue theirs two of the same card same picture but the colors are different i just found it weird theres also a diffrent number on the back

ManByng 06-13-2013 01:16 PM

i have been collecting cards since the 60's, but the only older set that survived the 70's was my 1975 OPC baseball set! i was 14 when i put most of the set together (i can't imagine how many valuable doubles i pulled out of packs and threw away!! :shakehead ). when card collecting boomed in the 80's, i was able to find the rest of the set so i could have a completed set (thank goodness they were common cards!). the cards of value are George Brett and Robin Yount rookies, as well as a couple of Hank Aaron cards. when i die, they will be buried with me!! :laugh:

i also managed to finish most of a 80/81 set of OPC hockey when i was around 20 year old, with me already having most of the valuable cards. this set features Mark Messier and Ray Bourque's rookies as well as Wayne Gretzky's 2nd year card.

i also have the Edmonton Sun and Edmonton Journal from the day Gretzky was traded, and several magazines featuring Gretz in an LA King uni for the first time. (probably the most valuable is the Sports Illustrated mag with Gretzky and Magic Johnson on the front with him in his King uni for the first time).

also have hundreds of individual cards, stickers, a Jagr gold card from Topps, WHA sets, posters and individual cards, and my greatest pull from a pack ever....a signed Ted Lindsey card!!

finally, i have a hard cover NHL Power Players mini card album from the 70/71 season featuring Bobby Orr, Gordie Howe and Bobby Hull. :handclap:

yave1964 06-13-2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gustafsson (Post 67441079)
Dave, I'm glad people like you are still around. I've been collecting since I was 5 years old and never stopped. I have roughly 40,000 cards; 150 jerseys; 300 books; 200 magazines; 500 toys and all produced hockey videos I can get my hands on. I also have a bunch of oddball items like Jello/cereal boxes, coins, stamps, pickle jars (Deadmarsh Dills), glasses, soda bottles, table mats, lunch boxes, pillow cases, toothbrushes, etc. Anything cool and hockey-related is part of my collection.

Right back atcha Gus....

150 jerseys?!? I have thirty some and about about 30 t-shirts and I thought that was a lot.
My book collection sadly is only a couple hundred but my Hockey News collection is only twenty two issues short of having every issue since 1973. Gonna have to hit ebay to finish it.
I also collect defunct team merchandise and cards. I have an unhealthy collection of Kansas City Scouts stuff for no reason other than I started and cant stop. Perhaps I need an intervention....

Boxscore 06-14-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yave1964 (Post 67468187)
Right back atcha Gus....

150 jerseys?!? I have thirty some and about about 30 t-shirts and I thought that was a lot.
My book collection sadly is only a couple hundred but my Hockey News collection is only twenty two issues short of having every issue since 1973. Gonna have to hit ebay to finish it.
I also collect defunct team merchandise and cards. I have an unhealthy collection of Kansas City Scouts stuff for no reason other than I started and cant stop. Perhaps I need an intervention....

Wow, that Hockey News collection must be massive! I stopped collecting them because they took up so much space... I do have about 60 copies of Hockey Digest though... because they were smaller. Have most of the Gretzky/Lemieux covers on those. Some of my favorite odd ball things I have are a few of those Gretzky Mattel dolls from the early-80s. I have 3 still in boxes and 1 open.

cynicism 06-14-2013 10:09 AM

I collected hockey cards in the early 90s. Man, I wasted a lot of money on those. I figured if I held onto them long enough I'd make a profit. :shakehead:

I think my most valuable card was a Lindros rookie that was worth around 10$. It's probably worth less now :lol:

I kept my cards in binders and hardcases. I think they're still in my parents' basement somewhere.

ManByng 06-14-2013 10:53 AM

^maybe go get them and get them apparaised to see if you have anything of value.