HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Oilers have a better history than Toronto? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=141001)

Crossroads* 04-27-2005 07:01 PM

The Oilers have a better history than Toronto?
 
http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.p...3&page=1&pp=15

This thread has been the source of my laughs for about an hour.

How can anyone even justify their opinion that the Oilers > Leafs when it comes to historical significance? :shakehead

Dar 04-28-2005 09:47 AM

Some things are just best left alone. ;)

goleafsgo 04-28-2005 03:45 PM

A person can count up how many times they won the Stanley Cup, thay can count how many times the team made it to the playoffs, and if they didn't, how many times they didn't make it ot the playoffs. There is a bunch of ways how someone can check which team has a better historical signafiance. Just being a fan can get someone to make a guess.

Everyone may not agree with me but, I think Toronto has the better historical signafance because they are 1 of the original 6 teams made in the NHL. I don't think Edmonton is. Though Edmonton probably won more stanley cups than Toronto. My answer may not be correct, but for sure Edmonton has won more cups than Toronto did. I mean, the last time the Leafs won the cup I think was 1964. Thats a lot longer than most of us here were alive! So most of us haven't seen the Leafs won a single cup. I know I haven't. But of corse all of us want to (if you're a leaf fan). Since Gretzky was playing for Edmonton past the Leafs wining a cup. I don't even think I've seen a Canadian team win the cup. That would be a treat for me. Seeing at least a Canadian team win the cup. A bigger treat would be the Leafs knock the Habs out in the third round, and go on to see the Leafs win the cup.

I've probably given more reasons why Edmonton might have a greater historical signifance, but a I still belive that the TML has a greater historical signifance than EO does.

Dar 04-28-2005 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goleafsgo
Everyone may not agree with me but, I think Toronto has the better historical signafance because they are 1 of the original 6 teams made in the NHL.

Correct.
Quote:

I don't think Edmonton is. Though Edmonton probably won more stanley cups than Toronto.
Not quite as correct. Toronto 11, Edmonton 5.

Quote:

My answer may not be correct, but for sure Edmonton has won more cups than Toronto did.
See above ;)
Quote:

I mean, the last time the Leafs won the cup I think was 1964.
1967.

Quote:

Thats a lot longer than most of us here were alive!
Don't be telling Around in 67, TheMessenger or Recidivist that, it just makes them feel old.:D

Quote:

I don't even think I've seen a Canadian team win the cup.
Unless you're really young there's Calgary 1989, Edmonton 1990, Canadiens 1993.
Quote:

A bigger treat would be the Leafs knock the Habs out in the third round, and go on to see the Leafs win the cup.
That indeed would be a treat.

Quote:

I've probably given more reasons why Edmonton might have a greater historical signifance, but a I still belive that the TML has a greater historical signifance than EO does.
Can't fault you for trying, but for every historical moment the Oilers had documented, there's 10 Leaf ones. Take away The Great One and that quadruples.

Verbal Kint* 04-28-2005 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goleafsgo
A person can count up how many times they won the Stanley Cup, thay can count how many times the team made it to the playoffs, and if they didn't, how many times they didn't make it ot the playoffs. There is a bunch of ways how someone can check which team has a better historical signafiance. Just being a fan can get someone to make a guess.

Everyone may not agree with me but, I think Toronto has the better historical signafance because they are 1 of the original 6 teams made in the NHL. I don't think Edmonton is. Though Edmonton probably won more stanley cups than Toronto. My answer may not be correct, but for sure Edmonton has won more cups than Toronto did. I mean, the last time the Leafs won the cup I think was 1964. Thats a lot longer than most of us here were alive! So most of us haven't seen the Leafs won a single cup. I know I haven't. But of corse all of us want to (if you're a leaf fan). Since Gretzky was playing for Edmonton past the Leafs wining a cup. I don't even think I've seen a Canadian team win the cup. That would be a treat for me. Seeing at least a Canadian team win the cup. A bigger treat would be the Leafs knock the Habs out in the third round, and go on to see the Leafs win the cup.

I've probably given more reasons why Edmonton might have a greater historical signifance, but a I still belive that the TML has a greater historical signifance than EO does.

Try and read up on hockey history before making so many assumptions.

Dar 04-28-2005 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master of Puppets
Try and read up on hockey history before making so many assumptions.

Well, at least I was polite about it. :p:

Mess 04-28-2005 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dar
Well, at least I was polite about it. :p:

Well as Master of the Leaf board you are obligated to take the high road if you want to remain as well respected and liked as you are among the Leaf community here ..

If you had Sluggo's in you closets, bats in your belfry and the entire hockey nation outside this forum hanging on and pouncing on every "Could", translating it to "Would" that you typed then I think you COULD become a little more jaded yourself. :D

tml_4ever 04-28-2005 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dar
Correct.

Not quite as correct. Toronto 11, Edmonton 5.


See above ;)

1967.


Don't be telling Around in 67, TheMessenger or Recidivist that, it just makes them feel old.:D


Unless you're really young there's Calgary 1989, Edmonton 1990, Canadiens 1993.

That indeed would be a treat.


Can't fault you for trying, but for every historical moment the Oilers had documented, there's 10 Leaf ones. Take away The Great One and that quadruples.

correct! he's younger than me by a few months, i believe :D

Verbal Kint* 04-28-2005 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dar
Well, at least I was polite about it. :p:

I'd try, but I'm sick, tired and miserable. I respect the guy, I just would prefer people not make posts where they say "I would assume__________________________".

Sorry for being so brash about it.

Patty Lee 04-28-2005 08:51 PM

Quote:

Don't be telling Around in 67, TheMessenger or Recidivist that, it just makes them feel old.
I'm feeling that way anyway Dar.

I'm not really sure how anyone could (would) think the Oilers have a greater history than the Leafs. Granted, the Oilers have had a pretty interesting quarter of a century.

Volcanologist 04-28-2005 09:13 PM

The Oilers deserve credit for icing some of the best teams of all time. Granted, the Leafs I'm sure also have more than a couple of entries on such a list.

The Leafs have been around 75 years. They have not won a Cup for roughly half of their existence. The Oilers have been around for 25 years. They last won the Cup in 1989-90, so they were much better in the first half of their existence as well.

So, both teams have seen success in the past, and have also struggled at times in the last 20 years. The Leafs were very bad in the 1980s and the Oilers missed the playoffs several years in a row in the 90s.

Toronto has been the stronger team for quite a while now, and that should have some bearing on the rankings despite neither team winning it all.

Mat 04-28-2005 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dar
Correct.

Not quite as correct. Toronto 11, Edmonton 5.


See above ;)

1967.


Don't be telling Around in 67, TheMessenger or Recidivist that, it just makes them feel old.:D


Unless you're really young there's Calgary 1989, Edmonton 1990, Canadiens 1993.

That indeed would be a treat.


Can't fault you for trying, but for every historical moment the Oilers had documented, there's 10 Leaf ones. Take away The Great One and that quadruples.


thank you for replying to him to save me the time :) god.....he just has no clue

Stephen 04-28-2005 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master of Puppets
Try and read up on hockey history before making so many assumptions.

Ahahahahahaha, well done!

Leaf Army 04-28-2005 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goleafsgo
Though Edmonton probably won more stanley cups than Toronto..... for sure Edmonton has won more cups than Toronto did.

Isn't this some sort of banable offence? :help:

goleafsgo 04-29-2005 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dar
Correct.

Not quite as correct. Toronto 11, Edmonton 5.


See above ;)

1967.


Don't be telling Around in 67, TheMessenger or Recidivist that, it just makes them feel old.:D


Unless you're really young there's Calgary 1989, Edmonton 1990, Canadiens 1993.

That indeed would be a treat.


Can't fault you for trying, but for every historical moment the Oilers had documented, there's 10 Leaf ones. Take away The Great One and that quadruples.

Ok, I was alive when the Habs won the cup. And I thought I was wrong by a little bit, but not by that much! Perhaps I'm not as smart in hockey as I thought I was.

goleafsgo 04-29-2005 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tml_4ever
correct! he's younger than me by a few months, i believe :D

How old are you?

Dar 04-29-2005 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goleafsgo
Ok, I was alive when the Habs won the cup. And I thought I was wrong by a little bit, but not by that much! Perhaps I'm not as smart in hockey as I thought I was.

It's all cool. Stick around here and your knowledge will increase ten-fold. :D

But stay away from the "Hossa, Heatley, Spezza and Nash......Oh my" thread, definitely not for beginners, and avoid at all costs the Bertuzzi re-instatement thread, you'll just pick up bad habits.

thrill_me_mogilny 04-29-2005 05:46 PM

I work with numbers for a living and believe me, you can skew stats in your favour based on many factors. If you divided the number of years in existence by number of Cups won the Leafs still come out tops. Of course, if you did that over the past 20 years the Oilers would. Number of individual trophies to team players in last 20 years would give Oilers the edge.

For a relatively young NHL team, the Oilers do have a great history. But I'm a Leafs fan so while I give credit to great teams, my heart still goes with the Blue.

tml_4ever 04-29-2005 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goleafsgo
How old are you?

turned 13 in Feb ;)

thrill_me_mogilny 04-29-2005 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tml_4ever
turned 13 in Feb ;)

Then get back to your homework! (sorry - mummy reflex kicked in!)

LeeIs 04-29-2005 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crossroads
http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.p...3&page=1&pp=15

This thread has been the source of my laughs for about an hour.

How can anyone even justify their opinion that the Oilers > Leafs when it comes to historical significance? :shakehead


You know, if one goes around debating in moronic threads like that, it gives the impression of legitimacy to the original comparison. I'd stay away and let the Oils have a good time in their little imaginary thread.

I did vote though, couldn't resist :sarcasm:

Verbal Kint* 04-29-2005 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mat
he just has no clue

...says the guy who think Ponikarovsky is a better player than Antropov.

Patty Lee 04-29-2005 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master of Puppets
...says the guy who think Ponikarovsky is a better player than Antropov.

I believe Poni will be more of an impact player than Nik.

attis76 05-02-2005 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrill_me_mogilny
Then get back to your homework! (sorry - mummy reflex kicked in!)

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

tml_4ever 05-02-2005 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrill_me_mogilny
Then get back to your homework! (sorry - mummy reflex kicked in!)

i was doing my homework; i was multi-tasking :D


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.