HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   QMJHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=147)
-   -   Stefan Matteau released by Armada (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1410031)

Patmac40 04-22-2013 09:35 AM

Stefan Matteau released by Armada

Saw this on the Prospects board and figured I'd post it here.

He wasn't happy after being left on the bench in the 2nd period of the 2nd game in the semi final against Baie-Comeau after a bad penalty. He didn't return home on the team bus but with the fan bus.

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/lhjmq/matte...rmada-1.612232

Edit: The Armada have released Matteau.

http://blogues.lapresse.ca/hockey-ju...tire-a-sa-fin/

TheQNews 04-22-2013 01:01 PM

Here's an English article about the situation and the press conference/release today:

http://theqnews.ca/2013/04/22/breaki...by-the-armada/

NBHockey 04-22-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patmac40 (Post 64440411)
Saw this on the Prospects board and figured I'd post it here.

He wasn't happy after being left on the bench in the 2nd period of the 2nd game in the semi final against Baie-Comeau after a bad penalty. He didn't return home on the team bus but with the fan bus.

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/lhjmq/matte...rmada-1.612232

Edit: The Armada have released Matteau.

http://blogues.lapresse.ca/hockey-ju...tire-a-sa-fin/

I've been following the superhot thread in "prospects". Man there sure are a bunch of people wanting to flame this kid. Very strange for him to not finish the game and go home on the fan bus. Imagine those conversations with all the "fans" on the bus... this is a weird one

TheQNews 04-22-2013 01:05 PM

Armada GM and Lou Lamoriello have been in talks and Lou supports the decision of the team. The NJ Devils GM hasn't spoken with Stefan Matteau yet.

Under current rules, Stefan Matteau can't play hockey anywhere as he's still property of the Armada. They haven't formally released him. He will have to wait until they're eliminated in the playoffs before he can play for the Devils or in the AHL.

IHaveNoCreativity 04-22-2013 04:16 PM

I'm surprised, but after he came back it was clear the air went to his head and he thought he was bigger then the team, a good example of of the air having gone to his head.

Libbs 04-22-2013 07:52 PM

That's about as selfish as one can get. The Armada are probably a better team now if this was the kind of attitude he brought to the dressing room.

It's rare that you see this kind of entitlement with these players... something has failed here.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 04-22-2013 07:57 PM

Very strange situation. Clearly he must have been a huge problem , since he is a very solid player in the QMJHL. Must be awkward for his father as well. LOL and the ride hope certainly must have been intresting!

WildcatMapleLeafs28 04-22-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity (Post 64458199)
I'm surprised, but after he came back it was clear the air went to his head and he thought he was bigger then the team, a good example of of the air having gone to his head.

Do you have a specific example ? Or do you mean in general ?

Dakota Sioux 04-22-2013 08:00 PM

Damn glad he bailed on the Fighting Sioux before he hit the ice at the Ralph. Nobody wants a player who thinks he is bigger than the game itself.

IHaveNoCreativity 04-22-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 (Post 64472023)
Do you have a specific example ? Or do you mean in general ?

In general, this started the moment he got back.

TheQNews 04-23-2013 07:37 AM

Joel Bouchard, the Armada’s General Manager, stated at the press conference that he offered to book Matteau a flight home rather than taking the fan bus. Throughout the whole press conference, he looked upset, but at the same time, he's very blunt. He said that the players know the rules and values and that it's black and white.

I laughed when he said he doesn't think because if he thinks, then there will be emotions influencing the final decision.

bigdirty 04-23-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NBHockey (Post 64449243)
I've been following the superhot thread in "prospects". Man there sure are a bunch of people wanting to flame this kid. Very strange for him to not finish the game and go home on the fan bus. Imagine those conversations with all the "fans" on the bus... this is a weird one

Odd choice of words to put quotes around. Are you implying that they aren't real fans or something?

NBHockey 04-23-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdirty (Post 64505909)
Odd choice of words to put quotes around. Are you implying that they aren't real fans or something?

No not at all... What I meant by that was that it would be very strange for the fans and the player to be going on the same bus. Imagine the looks and conversations... some of the fans might even be upset with him since they lost the game.

I'm sure the "fans" are real.. I've just never heard of such a thing in my many years in sports. This kid really didn't want to be around the team at all by this point to endure a ride home on the fan bus. No slight to anyone fans or otherwise intended.

bigdirty 04-23-2013 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NBHockey (Post 64508777)
No not at all... What I meant by that was that it would be very strange for the fans and the player to be going on the same bus. Imagine the looks and conversations... some of the fans might even be upset with him since they lost the game.

I'm sure the "fans" are real.. I've just never heard of such a thing in my many years in sports. This kid really didn't want to be around the team at all by this point to endure a ride home on the fan bus. No slight to anyone fans or otherwise intended.

Ah, okay. Sorry, I just read it differently.

I did hear someone mention his dad was on the bus with him as well, not sure if that was confirmed though. If so, I can only imagine the level of awkwardness on the bus.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 04-24-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdirty (Post 64565553)
Ah, okay. Sorry, I just read it differently.

I did hear someone mention his dad was on the bus with him as well, not sure if that was confirmed though. If so, I can only imagine the level of awkwardness on the bus.

Yes , that's correct. It was confirmed he was and also opted not to be on the bench in their last game.

Izzy 04-24-2013 09:57 PM

So, what are his plans now? Just AHL?

Beaker 04-24-2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux (Post 64472293)
Damn glad he bailed on the Fighting Sioux before he hit the ice at the Ralph. Nobody wants a player who thinks he is bigger than the game itself.

I think the Fighting Sioux could've used all the talent they could get. It was all or nothing this year, and they ended up with nothing. Don't see them doing too too well next season

mapes 04-25-2013 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izzy Mandelbaum (Post 64618917)
So, what are his plans now? Just AHL?

Don't think he can play anywhere until his CHL team is eliminated

Izzy 04-25-2013 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapes (Post 64629533)
Don't think he can play anywhere until his CHL team is eliminated

I meant for next year, but he might even get a roster spot.

Scarecrow Boat 04-25-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izzy Mandelbaum (Post 64630581)
I meant for next year, but he might even get a roster spot.

Well the Devils played him 17 times this season in the NHL, no idea why but he could end up being a full time NHLer next season. Only saw him in 4 QMJHL games this year but he didn't do anything worth noting in any of those games. Maybe my expectations were too high, I was expecting him to be similar to Charlie Coyle with Saint John last year

kris 04-25-2013 10:52 AM

If there are suspensions to BLB would they bring Matteau back?

WildcatMapleLeafs28 04-25-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kris (Post 64636675)

Doubt it. It would make them look like fools.

Patmac40 04-25-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kris (Post 64636675)

I highly doubt they would consider that and I highly doubt that he'd accept an offer to come back. The ties are pretty much severed at this point.

Raimu 04-25-2013 11:45 AM

If he is back in the Q next year he'll likely be traded.

Patmac40 04-25-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raimu (Post 64639265)
If he is back in the Q next year he'll likely be traded.

It's doubtful he'd come back. He'll probably end up in Albany for the year, or New Jersey if a roster spot is available.