HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Arizona Coyotes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   2013-2014 Season Roster (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1410081)

albertabound 04-22-2013 11:13 AM

2013-2014 Season Roster

Who is here at the start of 13-14 season? Any predictions? Is there players on the farm that are ready for the jump?

Ethereal Whisper 04-22-2013 11:29 AM

Oh man, this should be a fun thread. I'd speculate more if I weren't leaving for work soon, but I hope Rob Klinkhammer stays.

I feel like we're deep enough at D to where we could deal 1-2 of them and have Chris Summers (have a feeling we might let him go though) and David Rundblad ready to go in the blue line rotation (bit of a homer call here).

rt 04-22-2013 12:52 PM

I wouldn't give Smith four million and I can't see him signing for less. Caps fans are receptive to the idea of Klesla for Neuvirth. I could see Burke being good for that kid. Another lanky hybrid type. Quieter than Smith or Bryz but maybe that's a good thing. We've got a nice Czech contingent on the team and I could see him flourishing here. If he signs for two million bucks, it frees up some space to get more scoring. Especially since Klesla makes about three million bucks.

Apart from trading Klesla for Neuvirth, I'd probably just wish Chris Summers luck in his future endeavors. I really like the kid a lot but he's just going to keep getting passed up on the D chart.

So from goal line to blue line I'd be looking something like this...

OEL-Michalek
Yandle-Morris
Schlemko-Stone
Rundblad

Neuvirth
Ochocinco

...up front is where it gets dicey. I want to keep Gordon. I want to a top six forward of some kind or another. If I have to trade Moss for a pick to save the dollars to make that possible, then so be it. Everybody else up front I keep.

Jakey53 04-22-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rt (Post 64448705)
I wouldn't give Smith four million and I can't see him signing for less. Caps fans are receptive to the idea of Klesla for Neuvirth. I could see Burke being good for that kid. Another lanky hybrid type. Quieter than Smith or Bryz but maybe that's a good thing. We've got a nice Czech contingent on the team and I could see him flourishing here. If he signs for two million bucks, it frees up some space to get more scoring. Especially since Klesla makes about three million bucks.

Apart from trading Klesla for Neuvirth, I'd probably just wish Chris Summers luck in his future endeavors. I really like the kid a lot but he's just going to keep getting passed up on the D chart.

So from goal line to blue line I'd be looking something like this...

OEL-Michalek
Yandle-Morris
Schlemko-Stone
Rundblad

Neuvirth
Ochocinco

...up front is where it gets dicey. I want to keep Gordon. I want to a top six forward of some kind or another. If I have to trade Moss for a pick to save the dollars to make that possible, then so be it. Everybody else up front I keep.

rt, I agree and disagree with ya. The goaltending and defense I would be fine with, but the forwards, no way. Last year if Smith didn't stand on his head and we didn't have that unbelievable run we would have missed the playoffs. We are not good enough up front, simple as that. I know that if we had an owner, I would bet the forwards would have looked different this year. Missing the playoffs will mean different forwards next year with or without a owner.

Guys like Chipchura, Bolduc, Johnson and even Connor I think are gone. Moss and Gordon could be on the bubble, and even Vermette with that contract of his. I think there will be about three regular forwards replaced for next year. Maybe if Klinkhammer makes it next year there will be only two. This is my two cents worth, but what do I know.

rt 04-22-2013 08:39 PM

Only way to get actual scoring help up front is to trade Yandle. I think Keith has an underrated value to what little offense we do have that moving him out for an equivalent forward will have less than the desired or anticipated effect on our offense as a whole.

Hey numbers guys, could we do Klesla for Neuvirth and Moss for Briere? If Neuvirth signs for 2per and ochocinco for .5per ? Seems reasonable, right? Save half a million on goaltending, a million on D, and pick up 2.5 extra in forward, or there abouts.

CC96 04-22-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rt (Post 64476239)
Only way to get actual scoring help up front is to trade Yandle. I think Keith has an underrated value to what little offense we do have that moving him out for an equivalent forward will have less than the desired or anticipated effect on our offense as a whole.

I thought you were in favor of keeping Yandle, rt.

WJF 04-22-2013 09:11 PM

Trade everyone but Don Maloney.

lockstock 04-22-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakey53 (Post 64453761)
rt, I agree and disagree with ya. The goaltending and defense I would be fine with, but the forwards, no way. Last year if Smith didn't stand on his head and we didn't have that unbelievable run we would have missed the playoffs. We are not good enough up front, simple as that. I know that if we had an owner, I would bet the forwards would have looked different this year. Missing the playoffs will mean different forwards next year with or without a owner.

Guys like Chipchura, Bolduc, Johnson and even Connor I think are gone. Moss and Gordon could be on the bubble, and even Vermette with that contract of his. I think there will be about three regular forwards replaced for next year. Maybe if Klinkhammer makes it next year there will be only two. This is my two cents worth, but what do I know.

Yeah, man. If we don't make some big changes up front, they should rename the team to the Phoenix Scott Gomezes, cause our offensive production is straight up ****. Move anyone you need to move not named OEL to make this team better.

IPreferPi 04-22-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rt (Post 64476239)

This thought seems a little contradictory - seems more like you're making the case to not trade Yandle.

Yandle is our only transition threat, and really, his defense isn't all that bad - his speed can allow him to recover and make some good plays. OEL is better with his two-way play and he could probably develop that skill over time, but right now, he isn't that guy. And this is regardless of the fact that Yandle is probably the heir apparent to the captaincy.

Right now, the only offers I'm seeing for Yandle is Gagner, whom I'm not sold on at all. I'd pull the trigger on that rumored trade deadline deal with Philly or maybe for Krejci+, but I still only want Yandle to be moved for an overpayment, not for a one-for-one trade. Otherwise, we're probably subtracting more than we're adding.

ctwin22 04-22-2013 09:39 PM

We're stuck right now because we don't have any 'skill' forwards that can join the team right now.

We definitely need to do something with the top 6. The loss of Whitney was huge, IMO. Doan is showing his age and Boedker took a little step forward, but he's not looking like a 70pt player either, so we're desperate to add to the forward skill.

Again, we have 1 legit 1st liner in Vrbata. That is it, in fact, I'd consider Doan to be a 3rd line player at this stage of his career, which means we literally only have 2 top 6 forwards.

Now is the time to change out some of our defensive parts namely Gormley, Klesla and Michalek for some forward help and we can replace those guys with Rundblad and Summers.

I don't want Smith back for anything over $3.75 and I would like Gordon back on the cheap as long as he's going to be the 4th line center. He's not a #3.

Btw, can we trade Werek back for Lindberg (who apparently won the Playoff MVP)

BUX7PHX 04-22-2013 09:45 PM

Giving up Yandle would mean us taking back at least one extra body or pick than what we are giving up. A 1 for 1 deal is very unlikely, unless the player falls in our laps from a GM's offer.

I'm willing to say that Korpi, Boedker, and Gordon are our priorities at forward, and I like Conner's game. Finds the puck well. If it is between Miele and Conner, give me Conner at this point. One of either Klink or Chip also gets re-signed.

I'm willing to give Michalek a little bit of a pass b/c he didn't really get the chance to step back into our defense (remember, Samuelsson was the defensive coach when he left, and now Playfair is at the helm, so there might be some little nuances missing from when he was last here). But Michalek did look a litle slower than I recall. Maybe it is a combination of a lot of things, but I think that he is a player that the expectations were high for, and he didn't quite live up to it. Him, Klesla, or Yandle are still our best chances to bring in some level of offensive talent in return in the offseason or during the season.

As for Smith, he had his moments, and the D did not help him. I'd still peak at $4.25 million a year, but no more than that. Look at the goalies that he is in the ballpark in salary with there. That's about $600k more than Pavelec makes, and less than what Jonas Hiller is locked in for. Talent-wise, I'd say he is on par with those two. Consider his vision in moving the puck is top 5 in the league and the fact that while his decisions of where he will skate to in order to play the puck can scare people, he still makes the safest play with the puck, even under duress. I think that makes him as, and potentially, more valuable than those two goalies in the same salary breath.

Just my opinion on some things that I've seen this season. And this is one of the worst years I have seen us look defensively in about 5 years. I think we can all agree on that one...

IPreferPi 04-22-2013 09:50 PM

Boedker has developed some, and would probably be on pace for a 50 point season if this were a full season. But he's engrained in a pass-first mentality and won't be the go-to guy we need. Vrbata is still great, but its obvious both he and Hanzal miss Whitney. Doan's still streaky, shouldn't rely on him to score anymore.

Biggest disappointment for me this season is Vermette. Can't hold on to the puck, so many scoring chances he's whiffed on. Still defensively responsible and an ace in a dot, and we probably can't move him since we're so weak down the middle as it is. But if that wasn't the case, I'd would've moved him ASAP. Defensively responsible + faceoffs doesn't equate to nearly 4 million a year.

So yeah, we've probably got 2 legit Top 6 forwards, a few 2/3rd line tweeners, and a plethora of Bottom 6ers. I do think GMDM can work some wizardry and flip our blue line talent for some legit help up front, but, really, unless we manage to win the draft lottery, we need stable ownership. Plain and simple.

Jakeman 04-22-2013 10:02 PM

Yandle needs to stay and is a very talented d-man along with OEL,Stone. These guys are important players moving foward. Maybe with a new owner with deeper pockets ,they can add a scorer through free agency with more money to play with.

ck26 04-22-2013 10:02 PM

Larsson, Yandle, Michalek, Klesla, Morris, Stone (tender him), Schlemko, Rundblad, Gormley is more defense than we need, so move two of them for some sort of top-6 forward or forwards. Agree with rt's point that Yandle helps right now more than what he'll fetch in immediate return, so moving him will certainly hurt our offense next season. That said, Yandle, Rundblad and Gormley are probably the only pieces that will help get a 1C, and I have even less desire to move Rundblad and Gormley ... having them cost-controlled for the next 5 years is probably too valuable to part with.

Might have fetched a more attractive return two weeks ago, but I would be open to moving some combination of Michalek, Klesla and Morris for whatever (even if it's just picks) and using the cash that frees up to try to chase down a top-6 forward. Moss for Briere works if that's available, and I like Moss.

I caution everyone not to fall in love with this small sample size of Chris Conner. Been a nice piece the last few weeks, but seeing him on the ice in an extra-attacker situation tonight was painful, because he shouldn't be in those situations in the NHL. Nice player, keep him around, but he's not a potential solution.

Ignorant question going into my first Coyotesfan summer: the Mueller and Turris cases are pretty well-documented ... how much does "does he want to be here?" factor into trade decisions? If new Edmonton GM wanted to make his mark and offered up something crazy built around Eberle-for-Yandle, does the risk of the new guy being flaky factor in at all?

ctwin22 04-22-2013 11:11 PM

We dont' need Connor, he's a career AHLer, there is a reason he's never got on with Pittsburgh or Dallas, he's not that good...and certainly can't be relied upon to fill any role in the top 6.

Gormley should be able to be moved for something in the top 6. I like Rundblad a lot, because of our lack of scoring skill up front, the only reason we scored the pts we did this year was because of Yandle and OEL. Add Rundblad to that mix and you can role 3 lines of D that can create offense.

Need to move 2 of the D for scoring help up front. Michalek and Gormley should be able to land a legit scorer. I'd prefer to not have to move Gormley, but at some point, the offense has to be addressed.

I can forsee an even worse group next season and really, all I'm wishing for right now is we get an owner, we resign GMDM and Tippett and next season at the trade deadline, we can move Vermette, Klesla, Michalek or others for prospects or picks.

I just don't see a scenario where we can upgrade our top 6 enough to be competitive with the top echelon clubs in the west.

Samuellson has top 6 potential, and so does Reider, but that is it. Lessio is a #3, and so is Brown. None of the other forward prospects will ever see the NHL.

Werek, McMillan, Shinnimin, Miele, Lane, Hextall, Dziurzynski (spelling?), Ruutu, none of these guys are good enough to make it.

mouser 04-22-2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUX7PHX (Post 64482719)
Giving up Yandle would mean us taking back at least one extra body or pick than what we are giving up. A 1 for 1 deal is very unlikely, unless the player falls in our laps from a GM's offer.

Yeah, in just about any realistic trade Yandle will be the best player in the deal. Likely to be a 1 for 2 or 3 lesser assets deal.

rt 04-22-2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC96 (Post 64476509)
I thought you were in favor of keeping Yandle, rt.

I am.
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPreferPi (Post 64480927)
This thought seems a little contradictory - seems more like you're making the case to not trade Yandle.

I am.

My point is we can't hold our breath for major offensive reinforcements. It's not gonna happen. We need a ton of luck.

ctwin22 04-22-2013 11:36 PM

The reason we are where we are with the lack of offensive talent can be attributed to our drafts: 2006-2008

2006: Mueller, Summers, Ahnelov, Bennett, Latal, Bendfeld, Frank, Ferrero
2007: Turris, Ross, MacLean, Gistedt, Ruzicka, Goncharov, Darling
2008: Boedker, Tikhonov, Staal, Stone, Brodeuer, Long, Hextall, Billingsly

We've got Boedker as the only forward

You can't be that bad at drafting for 3 years straight..especially 2007 when we had 4 picks in the top 36

mouser 04-22-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sindiggy (Post 64490501)
You can't be that bad at drafting for 3 years straight..especially 2007 when we had 4 picks in the top 36

In hindsight 2007 looks to have been a very thin draft after the top of the 1st round. While the Yotes had picks 30, 32 and 36 (after taking Turris #3) the players selected following the Yote picks were mostly busts also.

So far only 4 guys from the 2nd round have established themselves as regular NHLers:

#43 - PK Subban
#55 - TJ Galiardi
#58 - Nick Spaling
#61 - Wayne Simmonds

Again in hindsight the team would have been better off keeping the #21 pick they traded to Edmonton (for #30 and #36) and drafted one of the players taken in the #21-#29 spots: Max Pacioretty, Mikael Backlund or David Perron (maybe even Brendan Smith).

Mosby 04-23-2013 12:15 AM

I'm not sure what to think of Antoine Vermette. We need the depth at centre and the decent level of scoring he provides, but for the handful of positives he provides, there are a handful of negatives, particularly his penchant for taking inopportune penalties.

If Yandle goes to Philly, I'd try to package Vermette and get another forward back as well.

CC96 04-23-2013 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted Mosby (Post 64492447)
I'm not sure what to think of Antoine Vermette. We need the depth at centre and the decent level of scoring he provides, but for the handful of positives he provides, there are a handful of negatives, particularly his penchant for taking inopportune penalties.

If Yandle goes to Philly, I'd try to package Vermette and get another forward back as well.

If we had more forward depth, there's no doubt in my mind he would be traded, but we can't afford to lose another center.

rt 04-23-2013 12:33 AM

I could see Vermette having a good year with us next season. Vrbata too. Hell, a lot of these guys, honestly.

DesertDawg 04-23-2013 08:26 AM

so many variables and it all starts with the ownership saga, management, and the coaching staff.
If this saga isn't resolved and GMDM has a budget less than $50 MIL, that really limits the options. That's ~ $10 MIL for 10 contracts. Boeds, Korpi, and Stone are RFAs and need to be qualified (as well as Miele and Rundblad). No Goalies. And that's not to mention trying to re-sign the forwards - Gordon, Chipchura, and Klinkhammer.

Whoa is me, all is bleak...

We need a miracle, good thing Don is still on board.

1st the lottery and knowing where all the teams will be seeded in the upcoming draft. Been wondering if the Avs lose out in SJ, will they be willing to trade for Keith Yandle? And if Carolina has interest, at least with 1 or 2 d'men?
Then the draft. I'm expecting Maloney to be a big player as he needs to think about putting together a roster for next season.
Then free agency. If the saga has not ended by then, I can't see it appealing to UFAs. Reclamation projects may be the norm than.

If anybody can meet the challenges, it would be Don Maloney.

I do expect that the roster will change and none of us really knows what will be the result.

rt 04-23-2013 09:08 AM

Too bad Maloney's contract is up. So is Tippett's.

RemoAZ 04-23-2013 10:52 AM

Other than a one year extremely lucky run, we won't be able to have a contender without an owner. I say keep the core younger guys including OEL, Yandle and Hanzal. If we get an owner, we can make moves necessary to add offensive talent. If not, it won't matter anyway. The odds of us getting legitimate top line players in a trade, even for Yandle is very slim especially since we can't fit high salary guys in the budget. Why lose a trade for a minor upgrade on offense? Our only shot for a star is to land a gem in the draft.