HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   WC: Oilers at the World Championships (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1410111)

BowDangles 04-22-2013 12:27 PM

WC: Oilers at the World Championships

Now that playoffs are not in the picture, which Oilers do you think go to the WCs representing Canada?

My guess is Dubnyk, Hall, Eberle and J Schultz.

timekeep 04-22-2013 12:29 PM

I thought that Eberle is hurt, or so that is some people's excuse for his play. He should not be going to the WC if he is playing with a broken finger.

Turrican* 04-22-2013 12:30 PM

Horcoff and Smyth will go!

Frank the Tank 04-22-2013 12:31 PM

Last tryout before the 2014 Olympics and I bet Stevie Y and staff are marketing this event as such.

Jimmi Jenkins 04-22-2013 12:32 PM

Yeah, those would be my guesses as well, Hall and Eberle can play with Duchene, and own faces.

I hope Schultz gets to play with a real veteran guy who he can learn from. I'm talking all the subtle stuff. Maybe Bryan Campbell goes and plays with Schultz, or with Weber (they're both RD, unfortunately) or even with Giordano.

And I would LOVE to see Dubnyk be the starter.

Jimmi Jenkins 04-22-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timekeep (Post 64447479)
I thought that Eberle is hurt, or so that is some people's excuse for his play. He should not be going to the WC if he is playing with a broken finger.

For **** sakes :facepalm:

Good point, if anything they should get his fat, lazy *** on a treadmill.

On Canada, I could see Gagner going over.

As for other Oilers "going", I could see all of Smid, Petry, Yakupov, PRV, Potter, Petrell and Klefbom.

KlimasLoveChild 04-22-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leman Russ (Post 64447541)
Horcoff and Smyth will go!

Yes... and I'm sure both are so deluded they actually think they have a chance for Sochi too:nod:

BowDangles 04-22-2013 12:55 PM

Hopefully Smyth goes and gets hurt so we can put him on the LTIR for the rest of his contract. :help:

Turrican* 04-22-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild (Post 64448747)
Yes... and I'm sure both are so deluded they actually think they have a chance for Sochi too:nod:

If Lowe and MacT have something to say about it!

timekeep 04-22-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins (Post 64447817)
For **** sakes :facepalm:

Good point, if anything they should get his fat, lazy *** on a treadmill.

On Canada, I could see Gagner going over.

As for other Oilers "going", I could see all of Smid, Petry, Yakupov, PRV, Potter, Petrell and Klefbom.

Good one Jimmi, thats what I said, he is fat.

BowDangles 04-22-2013 01:02 PM

I think this tournament will be a big one for Taylor Hall. If he goes over to Sweden and lights it up showing a ton of success on international ice than comes back next year and maintains his current point pace or improves it he will have a very good chance at making the Sochi team.

jadeddog 04-22-2013 01:06 PM

with how often oilers are injured, i don't want any of the important players going over to be honest... as far as trying out for the olympics goes, if hall lights up the WC but plays like crap in the NHL next year, he won't be going to the olympics... and if he plays like crap in the WC, but lights up the NHL again next year, he could end up on the olympic team

basically i'm saying that the NHL >> WC as far as determining who goes to the olympics next year

Jimmi Jenkins 04-22-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timekeep (Post 64449067)
Good one Jimmi, thats what I said, he is fat.

No you didn't, though I didn't check the old trade threads to make sure, it's just more of the same sort of emphasis on trying to make Eberle a whipping boy. An emphasis that I don't get.

He's had a tough season, no question.

Eberle in 44gp has 13g, 19a for 32pts and is -5 (this, by the way, is 3 points behind Sam Gagner in the same number of games)

If it were an 82 game season

Eberle in 82gp would have 24g, 35a for 59pts and would be -9

That's a down year, but hardly "write the kid off" bad, geez

nabob 04-22-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins (Post 64450403)
No you didn't, though I didn't check the old trade threads to make sure, it's just more of the same sort of emphasis on trying to make Eberle a whipping boy. An emphasis that I don't get.

Eberle in 44gp has 13g, 19a for 32pts and is -5 (this, by the way, is 3 points behind Sam Gagner in the same number of games)

simmer down Jimmi. If he is still suffering from the finger he should let it heal and not go. Thats all that was said...:help:

I did hear something about him feeling better lately so maybe its not an issue anymore.

timekeep 04-22-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins (Post 64450403)

Never written him off, only said that I would trade him for a top pairing dman or large 2C. Everyone says he is playing with a broken finger, time to rest and be solid for next year as we probably don't have Nuge and might be trading Gagner. Rather not see him go to the WC so he can dangle and rather see him recoup.

Gord 04-22-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BowDangles (Post 64447387)
Now that playoffs are not in the picture, which Oilers do you think go to the WCs representing Canada?

My guess is Dubnyk, Hall, Eberle and J Schultz.

I think Schultz has played enough hockey. isn't he already nearly double the games over his previous most ever played?
DD and Eberle haven't played well enough to deserve to go over.

nabob 04-22-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gord (Post 64451211)
I think Schultz has played enough hockey. isn't he already nearly double the games over his previous most ever played?

not a lot of options for Canadian goalies. Dubnyk is easily at or near the top of the list. Especially considering his play at the Spengler.

MetaOil1993 04-22-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gord (Post 64451211)

Agreed, A rest would be good for him but if he wants to go then I guess that's his choice, He has played a lot of miles this year.

I think Dubnyk, Eberle, Hall and Gagner could all go for team Canada. Hemsky and Smid to team Czech Republic? I wonder if Petry and or Potter get invites to team USA? I would send Paajarvi, Lander and Harti to OKC for the playoffs if Magnus is still waiver eligible.

nexttothemoon 04-22-2013 02:13 PM

If they trade Eberle... depth on RW goes to hell. They have Yak and Hemsky there but Yak is still developing and Hemsky has 1 foot out the door (plus can't stay healthy at the best of times.)

I just see trading Eberle as a sideways move (at best) and is more likely to bite the Oilers in the ass when he gets back to being a 70+ point scorer again...which he will.

Moonlapse Vertigo 04-22-2013 02:15 PM

Yeah, Eberle will probably take advantage of the break and J. Schultz really needs one.

nexttothemoon 04-22-2013 02:18 PM

Dubnyk is top 10 in save pct among goalies with 20+ games this season. Poor ******* can't get any respect.

He's EASILY the top choice among Canadian goalies that aren't tied up in that little thing called the NHL playoffs.

Eskimo44 04-22-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins (Post 64447661)
Yeah, those would be my guesses as well, Hall and Eberle can play with Duchene, and own faces.

I hope Schultz gets to play with a real veteran guy who he can learn from. I'm talking all the subtle stuff. Maybe Bryan Campbell goes and plays with Schultz, or with Weber (they're both RD, unfortunately) or even with Giordano.

And I would LOVE to see Dubnyk be the starter.

I don't see why you don't send Schultz down to the AHL for the playoffs if the Barons are still in it. But there's nothing wrong with the WC.

Joey Moss 04-22-2013 03:13 PM

Ladd - Stamkos - St.Louis
Hall - Giroux - Eberle
Kane - E. Staal - J. Staal
Duchene - Benn - Parenteau

Campbell - Weber
Giordano - Wideman
Coburn - Schultz

Smith
Dubnyk

Best case scenario team if everyone goes. Would have had Skinner but I believe he's injured.

Joey Moss 04-22-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo (Post 64452895)
Yeah, Eberle will probably take advantage of the break and J. Schultz really needs one.

Technically they will be getting a break between the end of season and the start of the World's.

timekeep 04-22-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey Moss (Post 64455685)
Technically they will be getting a break between the end of season and the start of the World's.

Exactly less than a week and they have to travel to Sweden/Finland.