HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Goaltending? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1410195)

NerveFWC 04-22-2013 02:08 PM

Goaltending?
 
Hey guys I was just wondering I don't know much about the Kings prospect system, but if rumors are true about Bernier possibly being dealt in the offseason. Who would be most likely to come in and back up Quick for next year?

etherialone 04-22-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NerveFWC (Post 64452483)
Hey guys I was just wondering I don't know much about the Kings prospect system, but if rumors are true about Bernier possibly being dealt in the offseason. Who would be most likely to come in and back up Quick for next year?

Jones.

He is the most likely back up for us.

NerveFWC 04-22-2013 02:14 PM

Thanks Tonellisghost!! Jones has been putting up some pretty good numbers in the minors so I figured it would be him, but wasn't too sure.

Sydor25 04-22-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonellisghost (Post 64452559)
Jones.

He is the most likely back up for us.

I think Dean will sign a veteran backup goalie for next season and let Jones spend another season in Manchester.

Whiskeypete 04-22-2013 02:38 PM

TG knows best, but i am leaning with Syd on this. with the up/down results that Jones and Berube have had the past two seasons, i think Deano lets them mature further in the system.

the rate things are moving with Bernier, who is to say he won't be back. i want the guy to get his shot, but LA has his rights so Dean can do what he feels is best for the team.

it's selfish as hell from a fan standpoint, BUT I LOVE knowing JB is the back up. i feel that no matter which guy is out there LA can win and both can steal games.

deeshamrock 04-22-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

I think Dean will sign a veteran backup goalie for next season and let Jones spend another season in Manchester.
I think so too, that makes the most sense. There should be some UFA's available.

northernKing 04-22-2013 02:52 PM

Mathieu Garon! TB will go with Bishop and Lindback so Garon will be available. He plays a very athletic style similar to Quick and would provide a reliable veteran presence until Jones is ready the following season.

KopitarFAN 04-22-2013 03:21 PM

Here is a list of UFA-to-be goaltenders:

http://capgeek.com/free-agents/?year...G&fa_type_id=2

Vamos Rafa 04-22-2013 03:22 PM

Martin Jones is not as handsome as Bernier.

tsanuri 04-22-2013 03:42 PM

I really think he will get a vet in a package deal as part of the Bernier trade.
Assuming Mitchell comes back with the D we have there are 9 and we will only keep 7. 2 are UFA's and 4 are RFA's. And the big question is do we know where Mitchell is by June 30th. Since that is draft day and when we should be able to get the most out of our assets. But I could see DL having Martinez and Bernier in a deal to get us a first and a vet goalie. And reason I use Martinez is because his value is worth more than Ellerby. And I don't really see us letting go of either Voynov or Muzzin.

deeshamrock 04-22-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

But I could see DL having Martinez and Bernier in a deal to get us a first and a vet goalie. And reason I use Martinez is because his value is worth more than Ellerby. And I don't really see us letting go of either Voynov or Muzzin
.

I think Martinez could very well be packaged with Bernier, but I think a top 6 LW comes back with a pick. There are some good vet backuips onthe UFA list.

and good old Cosmonaut Bryz may be looking for a job...:sarcasm:

Telos 04-22-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeshamrock (Post 64457113)
.

I think Martinez could very well be packaged with Bernier, but I think a top 6 LW comes back with a pick. There are some good vet backuips onthe UFA list.

and good old Cosmonaut Bryz may be looking for a job...:sarcasm:

Perhaps, but it would have to be a stopgap or a rental. Hell, we might even re-sign Penner on another year deal because I would expect Toffoli would get his shot at the start of next year. They've been trying him on the left side and he was succeeding, in a more more meaningful way than Penner has despite his acceptable play as of late. Start Toffoli off on the second or third line and alternate with a veteran until he solidifies himself is what I am picturing next season.

Reclamation Project 04-22-2013 04:04 PM

Timmie Thomas :sarcasm:

taz346 04-22-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KopitarFAN (Post 64455911)
Here is a list of UFA-to-be goaltenders:

http://capgeek.com/free-agents/?year...G&fa_type_id=2

I see at least one on that least who can be eliminated.....Lolbarbs for sure:nod:

RonSwanson* 04-22-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northernKing (Post 64454653)
Mathieu Garon! TB will go with Bishop and Lindback so Garon will be available. He plays a very athletic style similar to Quick and would provide a reliable veteran presence until Jones is ready the following season.

http://media.tumblr.com/3e2e7e995b46...zuk1qbodpe.gif

http://media.tumblr.com/eb4cf0a686f2...8K71qgvg8w.gif

etherialone 04-22-2013 04:07 PM

I should have been a little more clear on my post, in a rush so I will give a bit more.

Of our own players/prospects I see Jones as the most ready to be our backup. I could also see DL getting a stopgap backup goalie and letting MJ develop for another year. Really as of today it is entirely up to Jones. If he can have a solid playoff run then I can see us waiting until summer prospect camp to make a determination on which direction to go.

On any of our openings for this coming season with the new CBA and the cap dropping I see DL doing what he does very well and that is playing the numbers. While we need to shore up our top 6 I think we will do everything we can to do so either from within or through the acquisition of an NHL ready/young proven player who can provide us with what we need and do so on the cheap.

I know that Jones has taken another big step forward and he has really played exceptionally well over the past 20 games he is still going to have to prove himself a bit before he gets the call up. Once he comes up he will be looked on to stay up and do the job so he has to be ready when he does.

Pearson could be close to ready from within for our LW spot. I see him as being a season away so I wouldn't expect him to make the jump but he will be such a big improvement over what we have been getting that if it happened I wouldn't be too surprised. We can also expect TT to be with the team next season too so we are going to see some changes.

Andy Andy is as close to ready as he is going to be or should be by early next season and I could see him replacing Richardson or even Fraser without too much trouble.

Still too early to really know for sure but that is what our rookie/prospect camps are for really.

I like Jones and think he is close and Berube is making big strides towards an NHL career too. Jones will likely be our next system goalie.

I haven't heard anything about what our intentions are so this is all speculation but I guess that it will be close.

Vamos Rafa 04-22-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reclamation Project (Post 64457721)
Timmie Thomas :sarcasm:

We have J-Dub, Carter, Nolan, and Lewis. Don't think we have enough room for another right winger.

kingsfan 04-22-2013 04:12 PM

Is Jones waiver eligible next year if we send him to Manchester?

Also I could see DL going with a veteran, but he also needs to give Jones a shot at some point or let him go. Next year will be his fourth in the system, so you have to think that if he's in the plans at all he'll get a cup of coffee or something next year. Both Bernier and Quick got a test run before being brought up full-time.

So if we bring in a vet, it'll likely be a one-year deal and Jones will see some time somehow. Jones has to be resigned this off-season, so we'll see.

goosh 04-22-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sydor25 (Post 64453241)
I think Dean will sign a veteran backup goalie for next season and let Jones spend another season in Manchester.

This. It would be a huge risk, given Jones' inconsistency, to bring him up next year to have him be the full-time Kings back-up. Sign a veteran to a one-year deal and let Jones continue to mature with Berube getting spot starts in Manch.

northernKing 04-22-2013 05:50 PM

Lol! Garon was solid for TB this season and even took the starting job from Lindback at one point. Plus he was very valuable in some spot starts in my fantasy league :)

deeshamrock 04-22-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Perhaps, but it would have to be a stopgap or a rental. Hell, we might even re-sign Penner on another year deal because I would expect Toffoli would get his shot at the start of next year. They've been trying him on the left side and he was succeeding, in a more more meaningful way than Penner has despite his acceptable play as of late. Start Toffoli off on the second or third line and alternate with a veteran until he solidifies himself is what I am picturing next season.
I like Toffoli and like any young player, he needs more ice time to work on his complete game. But I can't see him on the 2nd line because he and Carter are both shooters. I don't see that as being a good fit. Maybe the put him on the top line and move someone down ? No problem with him starting on the 3rd line but he's a top 6 player and eventually needs to move there.
And who knows, maybe Pearson impresses in camp and gets his shot at LW

I based part of the LW in a trade scenario based on an article Iread from a Toronto paper that cited that 'sources close to the situation ' cited that the Kings will be trading with an Eastern Con. team for Bernier, part of the come back was a solid LW. It said that the Kings were agreeable to the return but wouldn't give up Bernier until the season is done , so the deal didn't get done on trade day. I heard a similar rumor here in Philly from a friend who dates someone in the Flyers pub relations dept who said that Mason was being signed as a backup and the Flyers were going to get Bernier post season. So in that case, I'm guessing Matt Read comes back.

I'm curious to see how it plays out.

I can't see Penner back next year. He's just not reliable enough for 82 games and I don't think Sutter likes him much. That line deserves better and someone more stable.

KingsCorona 04-22-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeshamrock (Post 64463295)
I like Toffoli and like any young player, he needs more ice time to work on his complete game. But I can't see him on the 2nd line because he and Carter are both shooters. I don't see that as being a good fit. Maybe the put him on the top line and move someone down ? No problem with him starting on the 3rd line but he's a top 6 player and eventually needs to move there.
And who knows, maybe Pearson impresses in camp and gets his shot at LW

This is what I'm really hoping for. Among other things, Pearson has the skills for forechecking, board battles, and parking in front of the net. He isn't quite as big as Penner, but he will have better offensive skills; I think he comes in to camp and takes Pancake's job. I do like Penner -- he is a great teammate and person, and when he is on he can really be great. But he is too inconsistent and we just need more production out of a top 6 winger. I'd say that I'd like to see him on the 3rd line, but he makes too much $$ and I doubt he wants to take a pay cut. Plus I'd like to see us call up someone like Vey or Shore to play 3rd-4th line and give them a look-see :)

Reclamation Project 04-22-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal (Post 64457855)
We have J-Dub, Carter, Nolan, and Lewis. Don't think we have enough room for another right winger.

Post of the year! Hell, post of next year!

kingsfansince1967 04-23-2013 07:04 AM

Carey Price is not doing well at all here in Montreal. Talk of the town is that if he continues to underperform this week and into the playoffs, his days in Montreal will be counted. I would not be surprised if the Habs show interest in Bernier. Price will still want to be a number one goalie though.

Ollie Weeks 04-23-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingfansince1967 (Post 64499057)
Carey Price is not doing well at all here in Montreal. Talk of the town is that if he continues to underperform this week and into the playoffs, his days in Montreal will be counted. I would not be surprised if the Habs show interest in Bernier. Price will still want to be a number one goalie though.

Price will bounce back, and the Lonbardi will have sent Bernier to the glass ceiling in Montreal, instead of the one in Los Angeles. I think he'll send Bernier to a more turbulent, transition-ish team for him to steal the #1 spot he deserves.

Garon is who I'd look at as a vet backup as well, although I'd prefer if Jones were able to do the job. In house solutions are generally more satisfying, not to mention cheaper.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.