HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Giroux's next contract (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1411097)

StoneHands 04-23-2013 03:02 PM

Giroux's next contract

I've been thinking a lot about Giroux's next contract lately and I'm trying to figure out how it may play out and what may be the best strategy to get the best hit.

Earlier this season when he was well under a PPG I was hoping that they Flyers would sign him this summer before camp because he would be at a slightly lower value than we all expected last year. Now he's managed to get back to a PPG on a terrible team so he has some leverage back.

What do you think would be the best thing to do with G and his next contract? Do they sign him this summer and hope he gets back to the 90+ point player from last year or do they wait until next season starts and they see is he regains his form?

What is your projected cap hit? I'm hoping to keep the hit around $8m per. I'm not sure how I would feel about a perry type deal at $8.6m per.

orangecrush8 04-23-2013 03:34 PM

Id be absolutely shocked if he doesn't have a new contract before puck drop next season. My guess is 8 years/$60 million ($7.5 million/year)

RJ8812 04-23-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangecrush8 (Post 64520837)
Id be absolutely shocked if he doesn't have a new contract before puck drop next season. My guess is 8 years/$60 million ($7.5 million/year)

sounds about right

CyborgLindros 04-23-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangecrush8 (Post 64520837)

I feel like that's around what it will take. Any 8 year deal with a hit around the 6.5 (if he takes a steep discount) to 8.

dawkins121 04-23-2013 03:57 PM

Bigger than Getzlaf and Perry, around 9 per year probably. It's not going to be less than 8.

1865 04-23-2013 03:59 PM

Anything below 8 would be a steal. He's too good.

TheKingPin 04-23-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawkins121 (Post 64521979)
Bigger than Getzlaf and Perry, around 9 per year probably. It's not going to be less than 8.

Lol no

I'm thinking he takes a discount at about 7 per

DrinkFightFlyers 04-23-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Yeah I'm in this camp. Giroux holds all the cards. 8 is a minimum.

Prongo 04-23-2013 04:22 PM

Giroux doesn't hold all the cards people. The Flyers do with him being a restricted free agent. If he was an impending UFA, then he would be holding them. I can see an 8 year 60-65 million deal, which is somewhere around what he will get.

Pery and Getz got their contracts because they were UFA's. Also they are more accomplished than Giroux. Stanley cup and an art Ross and Richard award. They deserve more money.

Jtown 04-23-2013 04:27 PM

I really wonder if a team would offer sheet him. it didnt happen to stamkos, but maybe a team does it.

orangecrush8 04-23-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtown (Post 64523317)
I really wonder if a team would offer sheet him. it didnt happen to stamkos, but maybe a team does it.

It wont get close to that stage. It will get done this offseason, well before anyone can give him an offer sheet

JuicyJ* 04-23-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKingPin (Post 64522157)
Lol no

I'm thinking he takes a discount at about 7 per

*hoping

DrinkFightFlyers 04-23-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prongo (Post 64523099)
Giroux doesn't hold all the cards people. The Flyers do with him being a restricted free agent. If he was an impending UFA, then he would be holding them. I can see an 8 year 60-65 million deal, which is somewhere around what he will get.

Pery and Getz got their contracts because they were UFA's. Also they are more accomplished than Giroux. Stanley cup and an art Ross and Richard award. They deserve more money.

Giroux 100% holds all the cards. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he has one year left of RFA status doesn't he? If the Flyers want him long term, they are going to have to give him what he wants. If not, he'll sign a one year deal and we'll go through it all again next year as a UFA. He isn't going to just sign a long term deal for money he doesn't want just because he is an RFA for one more year. If he turns it down and signs a one year deal, they are in a worse situation. Or maybe he signs a shorter deal for less money too, but I don't really see that happening. I guess if the Flyers don't want him long term one of the other possibilities could go down, but I think it is clear they are going to want him for the whatever 7 or 8 years they are allowed to do now. If he has more time as an RFA, of course, this argument is not applicable, but I am under the impression he is an RFA this offseason but UFA for all future offseasons.

Curufinwe 04-23-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Why would he get more than them?

Prongo 04-23-2013 04:47 PM

Giroux is not as credentialed as Getz and Perry. I don't see why people think he will get more money than them. He isn't a cup winner, art ross, or Richard winner. 9 million would be a horrible deal for the Flyers

Now yes he does have only one year left of RFA, but that was clearly done on purpose. Next year he will be getting paid 5.5 million, so he will be getting a raise from that salary. He doesn't have the ability to just take a one year deal, the Flyers have the ability to offer one year deal though. He doesn't have the ability to talk to every single team in the NHL and weigh offers, he can though get offers from other teams. He doesn't hold all the cards. The Flyers set up his contract situation perfectly. Also there is no way Giroux only accepts a one year deal. If he does that, I would look to move him if they can't agree to a longer contract. He is proven though, and the captain, he will re-sign for the long term and for less than 9 million.

I am just going to agree to disagree here. This will just continually go in a circle.

dawkins121 04-23-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curufinwe (Post 64524053)
Why would he get more than them?

Because he's better than them and is the franchise player for a big market team. What do you guys think is really more likely? That Homer and the brass leverage his RFA status as best as they can and work his agent down in long negotiations to a below market deal? Or that they open the checkbooks and break the bank on him. Just wait.

LegionOfDoom91 04-23-2013 05:01 PM

I'm thinking anywhere in $7.5M-$8.0M range.

Curufinwe 04-23-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawkins121 (Post 64524259)
Because he's better than them and is the franchise player for a big market team. What do you guys think is really more likely? That Homer and the brass leverage his RFA status as best as they can and work his agent down in long negotiations to a below market deal? Or that they open the checkbooks and break the bank on him. Just wait.

You may think he's better, but in terms of stats and hardware won he is not. The Flyers are a big market team but there is a cap and overpaying Giroux means weakening the rest of the team.

Prongo is right.

Sniped 04-23-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtown (Post 64523317)

Nashville? :sarcasm:

Giroux will be a Flyer, first and foremost.

I hope he'll take a home discount but we'll see when it happens I guess. Anything under 8 million I'll be extremely happy with.

dawkins121 04-23-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curufinwe (Post 64525471)
You may think he's better, but in terms of stats and hardware won he is not. The Flyers are a big market team but there is a cap and overpaying Giroux means weakening the rest of the team.

Prongo is right.

How about Semin getting 7? Or Parise getting 7.5? Hell or even just the rumors that Bozak is looking at 5+? And don't give me the RFA nonsense, Weber proved that means next to nothing for superstars. This is the market we're looking at. Part of it will be a prestige move too, the Flyers saying "look how much we can pay our franchise player!". Don't delude yourself into thinking a hometown discount is on the way, it's not.

Curufinwe 04-23-2013 05:32 PM

Semin has the stats to justify his price tag, especially over only five years. Giroux does not have stats to justify $9m per year when the Flyers will also have Couturier, Read, Schenn and others to resign.

LegionOfDoom91 04-23-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawkins121 (Post 64526165)
How about Semin getting 7? Or Parise getting 7.5? Hell or even just the rumors that Bozak is looking at 5+? And don't give me the RFA nonsense, Weber proved that means next to nothing for superstars. This is the market we're looking at. Part of it will be a prestige move too, the Flyers saying "look how much we can pay our franchise player!". Don't delude yourself into thinking a hometown discount is on the way, it's not.

I wouldn't expect it but I certainly wouldn't rule it out at the same time. I don't know what Giroux's thinking so it's tough to make an accurate prediction on what he'll do. We'll just have to wait until we start hearing some numbers thrown around to get a better sense of this.

1865 04-23-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curufinwe (Post 64526367)
Semin has the stats to justify his price tag, especially over only five years. Giroux does not have stats to justify $9m per year when the Flyers will also have Couturier, Read, Schenn and others to resign.

Maybe not $9, but he's close. Does anyone really think that Semin will out score Giroux over the next 7 years?

Jack de la Hoya 04-23-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prongo (Post 64524237)
Now yes he does have only one year left of RFA, but that was clearly done on purpose. Next year he will be getting paid 5.5 million, so he will be getting a raise from that salary. He doesn't have the ability to just take a one year deal, the Flyers have the ability to offer one year deal though. He doesn't have the ability to talk to every single team in the NHL and weigh offers, he can though get offers from other teams. ...

I don't believe either of those things are true.

Giroux absolutely has the option of simply accepting the qualifying offer of $3.5. I don't think he will, of course, but he could.

I'm not sure what you mean, but Giroux and his agent can absolutely talk to other teams as long as he is an unsigned RFA.

At the end of the day, I'm sure a deal gets done. I'm more concern withwhat Matt Read will cost than what Giroux will ultimately cost (which, I'd guess, will be somewhere north of $7 million and south of $9 million.)

LetsGoFlyers1825 04-23-2013 06:13 PM

Based on reading HF the last two weeks, Giroux is becoming the most underrated player on this website.