HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Hartnell (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1412149)

mailman89 04-24-2013 08:52 PM

Hartnell

I know he has nmc but what can we get for him. Never really liked him need scoring back or high first

hlaverty06 04-24-2013 09:21 PM

Okay well i don't think Hartnell alone is worth a high first, what would you potentially add to him to get that high first

couture23 04-24-2013 09:39 PM

I really don't think he's worth as much as Philly fans want to think.

TMI 04-24-2013 09:40 PM

How much scoring do you need back? Just enough to replace Hartnell? If so, why trade him? To get younger, or just because you don't particularly care for him?

He isn't worth a high 1st by himself. His contract isn't helping him, either. He's signed for six more seasons at $4.75m, and he is a consistent 40-50 point guy rather than a 50-60+ guy.

It's going to be a tough sell. Philly's best bet would be to look for a younger forward with similar production and a similar, if not a touch higher, cap hit. At that point the only real perk for Philly is that the younger player may end up getting better, but it will be a crap shoot. There really isn't a perk for the other team unless they feel Hartnell is the exact piece they need to make a run (unlikely, but who knows?)

Chacal667 04-24-2013 09:54 PM

Rene Bourque + a 3rd

Devonator 04-24-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chacal667 (Post 64618745)
Rene Bourque + a 3rd

Not even close!

Jacko95 04-25-2013 07:05 AM

I would offer Purcell + maybe JT Brown or a mid pick from Tampa for him.

Jack de la Hoya 04-25-2013 07:33 AM

Is our goal to have a top-9 in which Matt Read is the oldest player?

Briere goes; Hartnell stays--and I don't even like him that much.

dawkins121 04-25-2013 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya (Post 64630133)

Yeah that extension he signed is pretty ugly but we need him, especially if Briere is getting bought out. Need to have some vets in the locker room.

He's more valuable to the Flyers than anyone else anyway, the return would probably be disappointing.

Tripod 04-25-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdManIn (Post 64617971)
How much scoring do you need back? Just enough to replace Hartnell? If so, why trade him? To get younger, or just because you don't particularly care for him?

He isn't worth a high 1st by himself. His contract isn't helping him, either. He's signed for six more seasons at $4.75m, and he is a consistent 40-50 point guy rather than a 50-60+ guy.

It's going to be a tough sell. Philly's best bet would be to look for a younger forward with similar production and a similar, if not a touch higher, cap hit. At that point the only real perk for Philly is that the younger player may end up getting better, but it will be a crap shoot. There really isn't a perk for the other team unless they feel Hartnell is the exact piece they need to make a run (unlikely, but who knows?)

I am willing to give him a pass this year due to breaking his foot to start the year and coming back early while still hurting.

In 5 full seasons with Philly(before this year), he has averaged 53 points. He also missed a total of 3 games in 5 years before this year. I think any team looking to win in the next 5 years would love to have him. And I think Philly is included in that so he will be staying. He will be 36 on the last year of his contract. Unless he starts to fall apart, next year he will be back to his 25 G, 30 assists.

tade 04-25-2013 09:06 AM

He is back next season, don't worry. Not needed to trade him after crappy shortened season where he had kinda bad injury. He stays in Philly, that's all.
And his value is still here and isn't that much low as many of you may think.

duffy9748 04-25-2013 09:08 AM

He always follows a great season with a disappointing one. He'll be back to 25-30 goals next year. He'll net 30+ again if he plays with Giroux and Voracek.

veedubn1 04-25-2013 09:47 AM

I'd love to add Hartsy to the Leafs.

You could do a lot worse than having Kessel, Lupul, JVR and Hartnell as the wingers in your top 6 (adding a guy like Hartnell might allow us to stay small down the middle with Kadri and Bozak).

Even though his contract isn't the greatest, I'd still give up some good wing prospects to get him. I don't think we have the immediate scoring help the OP is looking for though...

SnS 04-25-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya (Post 64630133)

I think the agreement to most fans is that to keep Read when he's a FA, they feel Hartnell has to be moved in order to improve the D as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by duffy9748 (Post 64632547)
He always follows a great season with a disappointing one. He'll be back to 25-30 goals next year. He'll net 30+ again if he plays with Giroux and Voracek.

I don't see him on the top line, personally. Maybe at times, but I don't think it happens to start.

TMI 04-25-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripod (Post 64631301)
I am willing to give him a pass this year due to breaking his foot to start the year and coming back early while still hurting.

In 5 full seasons with Philly(before this year), he has averaged 53 points. He also missed a total of 3 games in 5 years before this year. I think any team looking to win in the next 5 years would love to have him. And I think Philly is included in that so he will be staying. He will be 36 on the last year of his contract. Unless he starts to fall apart, next year he will be back to his 25 G, 30 assists.

I just question his ability to continue turning it on, so to speak, and getting up in the high 50s or 60s as he continues to age. With his style of play I assume he will continue to get banged up, which will likely, but will not necessarily, lead to a decline in his production over the course of his remaining contract.

I think Philly is better off keeping him, too, but the OP asked haha

Beville 04-25-2013 12:19 PM

I would LOVE Hartnell...

Him and Simmonds for Spezza :sarcasm:

Curufinwe 04-25-2013 12:56 PM

I like Hartnell in Philly overall, but it would be cool if he was traded to Vancouver and got play on a line with the Sedins again.

dawkins121 04-25-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdManIn (Post 64640875)
I just question his ability to continue turning it on, so to speak, and getting up in the high 50s or 60s as he continues to age. With his style of play I assume he will continue to get banged up, which will likely, but will not necessarily, lead to a decline in his production over the course of his remaining contract.

I think Philly is better off keeping him, too, but the OP asked haha

I wouldn't be too worried about him getting banged up. Before he broke his foot this year (which is the kind of fluke injury that could happen to anyone who gets hit with a puck) he missed a total of 5 games in 5 years. He's about as durable as power forwards get.

1865 04-25-2013 05:56 PM

If Carter was worth Voracek and the 8th, I think Hartnell is at least worth one of those.

Mystifo 04-25-2013 05:58 PM

Bring him to TOR just because having him and Phaneuf in the same room would be explosive.

Chacal667 04-25-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1865 (Post 64655209)
If Carter was worth Voracek and the 8th, I think Hartnell is at least worth one of those.

Voracek is a much better player, but I admit that he wasnt what he is right now.

sobrien 04-25-2013 11:28 PM

Already lost JvR and Jagr and it showed for most of this season. Buying out Danny B is incredibly likely. Moving Hartnell on top of that is a really terrible idea. Players like McGinn, Laughton, Cousins, Noebels, Rinaldo, etc. aren't ready to pick up that scoring slack. Hartnell is an underrated sniper, and everyone knows he goes to the net. We dump Hartnell for a pick and all we have is Simmonds for net front presence and Gagne for a sniper.

TMI 04-25-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawkins121 (Post 64644343)
I wouldn't be too worried about him getting banged up. Before he broke his foot this year (which is the kind of fluke injury that could happen to anyone who gets hit with a puck) he missed a total of 5 games in 5 years. He's about as durable as power forwards get.

True, but as he gets older does that remain true? I'm not sure it's worth the risk to be honest. A couple of years ago I would have loved to have Hartnell back. Going into next season not so much.

But if Philly fans are happy with him that's all that matters :yo:

Kevin8se7en 04-26-2013 04:09 PM

I understand he's had a bad year, but his value would be in the ballpark of what Ryan Clowe got regardless.

Tripod 04-26-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin8se7en (Post 64719429)
I understand he's had a bad year, but his value would be in the ballpark of what Ryan Clowe got regardless.

except that Hartnell has a contract whereas Clowe was a UFA thus increasing his value. He would be worth a 1st rounder...in the 15-20 range