HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Fix the Oilers. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1412369)

Topkatz 04-25-2013 04:42 AM

Fix the Oilers.

After being in a playoff spot beforehand, the Oilers have been in freefall the last 10 games. Calgary have even overtaken the Oil in the standings. :help:

Other than fire Lowe which I think we can all agree on is the root cause of the Oilers lack of playoff hockey, what do/can you realistically do you to get the team back in the playoffs again?

Go.

DespoticNewt 04-25-2013 04:47 AM

Get a D core and trade one of your shiny #1 picks for some depth scoring and grit.

#66 04-25-2013 05:04 AM

I think they should target 2 of Scudari (I'm thinking they'll be bidding against the Habs), Handzus and Ian White.

They should also be all over Ruff. He would work wonders with the speed on that team.

Jtabo 04-25-2013 05:11 AM

They need a rock solid dman. Look who was a member of their team when they almost won the cup in 06. It was the same guy who when he was on the flyers took them to a cup final. The flyers have fallen apart without him. They need a Pronger. Last few cup champions have had a star on D (Doughty, Chara, Lidstrom, Pronger)

The Latvian 04-25-2013 05:17 AM

Just make it stop, someone. Please.

stempniaksen 04-25-2013 05:18 AM

Taylor Hall - Ryan Nugent Hopkins - Jordan Eberle
Ales Hemsky - Stephen Weiss - Nail Yakupov
Teemu Hartikainen - Anton Lander - Magnus Paajarvi
Ryan Smyth - Someone who wins faceoffs - Mike Brown

Ladislav Smid - Keith Yandle
Nick Shultz - Justin Schultz
Jeff Petry - Oscar Klefbom
Corey Potter

Mike Smith/Ray Emery
Devan Dubnyk

At the Draft: Pick Sean Monahan, trade up if you have to, longterm 2C taken care of
Trade #1: Sam Gagner + Picks and Prospects for Keith Yandle
FA Signing #1: Stephen Weiss (Could be Ribeiro or Derek Roy as well, throw money at them)
FA Signing #2: Mike Smith/Ray Emery (Both could be product of system, but they would only come in to platoon)
Compliance Buyout: Shawn Horcoff/Eric Belanger (Change the culture)

The Latvian 04-25-2013 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stempniaksen (Post 64628927)

Corey Potter

Mike Smith/Ray Emery
Devan Dubnyk

At the Draft: Pick Sean Monahan, trade up if you have to, longterm 2C taken care of
FA Signing #1: Stephen Weiss (Could be Ribeiro or Derek Roy as well, throw money at them)
FA Signing #2: Mike Smith/Ray Emery (Both could be product of system, but they would only come in to platoon)

May what to check the #'s on that one.

sokocanuck 04-25-2013 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stempniaksen (Post 64628927)

Corey Potter

Mike Smith/Ray Emery
Devan Dubnyk

That's not happening unless the + is your first this year, so which isn't happening, Monahan or Yandle?

stempniaksen 04-25-2013 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sokocanuck (Post 64629029)
That's not happening unless the + is your first this year, so which isn't happening, Monahan or Yandle?

I'm not an Oiler fan, so not "my first". Figured Gagner + Marincin + 2nd might get the conversation going, but I guess I'm underrating Yandle.

Topkatz 04-25-2013 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #66 (Post 64628849)
They should also be all over Ruff. He would work wonders with the speed on that team.

I agree entirely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtabo (Post 64628889)
They need a rock solid dman. Look who was a member of their team when they almost won the cup in 06. It was the same guy who when he was on the flyers took them to a cup final. The flyers have fallen apart without him. They need a Pronger. Last few cup champions have had a star on D (Doughty, Chara, Lidstrom, Pronger)

Another good point. But finding a Pronger is easier said than done. The only real way I can see any easy fix is that the Oil reach a level of sucktitude previously unheard of to mankind and manage to win the lottery for the 4th time in.a.row. and draft Jones. I might be too embarrassed to ever hope that to happen though.

Darnell Nurse is someone I hope we are seriously looking at and is my personal pick from draft positions 4-8.

On the trade front since we can write off this years FAs, what top paring defencemen would be available? I've heard Yandles name thrown out there a lot, is he attainable?

jax00 04-25-2013 05:46 AM

Get a #1 defenseman. Easier said that done, though.

saskganesh 04-25-2013 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtabo (Post 64628889)
They need a Pronger.

They had The Pronger. Then lost him. Then they couldn't. So we have this rebuild. And now they need Pronger? ;)

KingHab 04-25-2013 05:57 AM

Edmonton pushing hard for top 3 pick

Edmonton will once again be rewarded for a losing culture:handclap:

Kulleroinen 04-25-2013 06:05 AM

I am hoping that we will win the lottery. It is possible and would be just awesome! Top 3 will be fine too, if we won't win.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/healt...?size=620x400s

MacT better be training for the grin. We lost an awesome grin with Tambellini.

Lord Flacko* 04-25-2013 06:05 AM

1. Draft Monahan with your first rounder.
2. Aim for physical D-men and forwards in the rest of the draft.
3. Trade Hemsky for a d-man like Michalek or Boychuk.
4. Sign one of:
Horton (4 years @ 4.75m per year)
Clarkson (3 years @ 4m per year)
5. Sign Antropov (1-2 years @ 2m per year)

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Yakupov - Gagner - Horton/Clarkson
Monahan - Antropov - MPS
Hartikainen - Horcoff - Smyth
Brown

Smid - Petry
Michalek/Boychuk - J. Schultz
N. Schultz - Potter

Dubnyk

This roster would make the playoffs imo.

ManyIdeas 04-25-2013 06:09 AM

Pick a fifth shiny forward at first overall.

Poignant Discussion 04-25-2013 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #66 (Post 64628849)
I think they should target 2 of Scudari (I'm thinking they'll be bidding against the Habs), Handzus and Ian White.

Ian White? You want the kids to have a bad influence? I'd keep White away from any impressionable team

The Latvian 04-25-2013 06:15 AM

Imagine if jones goes first and they have the 3rd pick.

legendinblue 04-25-2013 06:16 AM

Oilers fans deserve better.

Number8 04-25-2013 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jax00 (Post 64629083)
Get a #1 defenseman. Easier said that done, though.

Since 2007 the Oilers have had 8 first round pick slots: 6, 15, 21, 22, 10, 1, 1, and 1.

During that time they have drafted one first round Defenseman: Alex Plante, picked in the 15th slot in 2007.

7 first round forward picks and 1 defender.

Getting a #1 defenseman is hard in the best of times, but next to impossible if it's not a priority for the GM.

acor 04-25-2013 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingHab (Post 64629137)
Edmonton will once again be rewarded for a losing culture:handclap:

And what, are you jealous ?

I don't know are you King or Hab , but I think sane Oilers fans would gladly trade their picks to be half as good as both of those teams...

Kulleroinen 04-25-2013 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number8 (Post 64629319)
Since 2007 the Oilers have had 8 first round pick slots: 6, 15, 21, 22, 10, 1, 1, and 1.

During that time they have drafted one first round Defenseman: Alex Plante, picked in the 15th slot in 2007.

7 first round forward picks and 1 defender.

Getting a #1 defenseman is hard in the best of times, but next to impossible if it's not a priority for the GM.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=16804

Also, Musil was #31 so that is pretty close to a first round pick. :D

Gary83* 04-25-2013 06:25 AM

Embarassing.

The fact that Calgary starts their rebuild with less points than Edmonton and will now probably end up with more points in the same season is downright hilarious.

Kulleroinen 04-25-2013 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acor (Post 64629331)
And what, are you jealous ?

I don't know are you King or Hab , but I think sane Oilers fans would gladly trade their picks to be half as good as both of those teams...

Oh but our team will be good. You just have to remember that the oldest of our top 6 forwards is Gagner. 23 years old.

Angelus 04-25-2013 06:27 AM

Just fold this team and put us out of our misery.

Oh and Leafs in 4. :handclap: