HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dreger: Philadelphia Will Likely NOT Buy-Out Ilya Bryzgalov (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1412787)

caley 04-25-2013 08:04 PM

Philadelphia Will Likely NOT Buy-Out Ilya Bryzgalov

Dreger just said on Insider Trading that Philadelphia is not planning on buying out Ilya Bryzgalov this summer, though they could still in 2014. He said there are rumors of a rift between Bryzgalov and coach Peter Laviolette, but since it's believed Laviolette is safe, it's up to the coach to mend fences between the two.

Interesting stuff since most expected him to be bought out.

The Flin Flon Bomber 04-25-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caley (Post 64660763)
Dreger just said on Insider Trading that Philadelphia is not planning on buying out Ilya Bryzgalov this summer, though they could still in 2014. He said there are rumors of a rift between Bryzgalov and coach Peter Laviolette, but since it's believed Laviolette is safe, it's up to the coach to mend fences between the two.

Que? Most expected him to be back. Briere is the buyout target this summer.

Four Boilermakers 04-25-2013 08:09 PM

I have always predicted that the Flyers would not, and argued that they should not, buy out Bryzgalov. People keep telling me that "it's no big deal for corporate giant Comcast" and "Bryzgalov SUCKS," but I think those people have (a) no concept of how business works, and (b) failed to consider the paucity of better options in net.

I can only hope that we institute a more defensive system next year, whether it be under Laviolette or a new coach. Bryz can put up good numbers in the right system. Clearly, the run-and-gun system we employ now is not suiting our team's strengths (or at least covering up our weaknesses).

TaketheCannoli 04-25-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96 (Post 64661489)
I have always predicted that the Flyers would not, and argued that they should not, buy out Bryzgalov. People keep telling me that "it's no big deal for corporate giant Comcast" and "Bryzgalov SUCKS," but I think those people have (a) no concept of how business works, and (b) failed to consider the paucity of better options in net.

I can only hope that we institute a more defensive system next year, whether it be under Laviolette or a new coach. Bryz can put up good numbers in the right system. Clearly, the run-and-gun system we employ now is not suiting our team's strengths (or at least covering up our weaknesses).

What do you mean paucity? The Flyers have "The Mase -iah"

TorstenFrings 04-25-2013 08:16 PM

It always made more sense for it to happen next summer unless they had an immediate need of that cap space for a can't turn down kind of opportunity.

GordieHoweHatTrick 04-25-2013 08:17 PM

Well they do have one more year to try him out

Tripod 04-25-2013 08:25 PM

not surprised given how much $ it would cost. What we know is that under a better system, Bryz can be really good.

He was 17 games over .500 last year and had a player of the month award. This year, 1 game over .500 with Philly dealing with all of the injuries to their D-men. The system they are playing will not reward ANY goalie with nice stats. BUT, if he is the reason they faulter next year, they will re-visit it.

People forget that philly had 103 points last year(6th best) and finished in the 2nd round of the playoffs...which is top 8. All while dealing with the Pronger injury.

Prongo 04-25-2013 08:49 PM

Anything else on Insider trading besides this? Flyer fans pretty much knew this, now 2014 is a different ball game.

SoupyFIN 04-25-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caley (Post 64660763)

So, basically what this says, is that water is still wet.

The drop off in the stuff that Dregs reports these days compared to mid last season has been massive.

Pierce Hawthorne 04-25-2013 09:06 PM

Not surprising.

Bryz isn't that bad. The Flyers defense is almost as bad as the Avs defense, and Laviolette has a run and gun high offense system. Bryz gets hung out to dry a lot.

If the Flyers improve there Defense this summer, Bryz will improve his play.

Its up to the coach and goalie to mend there relationship though. Need to get over the kiddy stuff.

Stop Winnin 04-25-2013 09:07 PM

Duh, not only is it a ******** of money, but he's not actually that bad.

Man Bear Pig 04-25-2013 10:10 PM

Some people here need to remember that the average fan isn't aware of the same things we hockey nuts around here are aware of.

ThereGoesVirtanen 04-25-2013 10:29 PM

This is getting to be the worst contract of the modern era.

Besides Ricky D.

PuqTalk 04-25-2013 10:31 PM

Anyone that even suggested that Bryzgalov would be bought out this summer didn't watch the Flyers for more than a game this season.

Billy Mays Here 04-25-2013 10:33 PM

Good. Goaltending isn't Philly's problem.

Pierce Hawthorne 04-25-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDK (Post 64683283)
This is getting to be the worst contract of the modern era.

Besides Ricky D.

:facepalm:

Its worse then Luongo's.

RJ8812 04-25-2013 10:49 PM

thanks Dreger. We knew this a month ago

stick to the Leafs

Man Bear Pig 04-25-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PuqTalk (Post 64683643)
Anyone that even suggested that Bryzgalov would be bought out this summer didn't watch the Flyers for more than a game this season.

I agree. He hasn't even been that bad. He's actually been pretty good on some nights. The flyers problems certainly don't lie with Bryz although he's an easy scapegoat for the casual observer. He's a target and always will be.

Nullus Reverentia 04-25-2013 10:54 PM

I'm not surprised. The Flyers woes this season don't derive from Bryzgalov, and I think they probably would have made the playoffs in an 82 game schedule.

Danglesonice66 04-25-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli (Post 64661945)
What do you mean paucity? The Flyers have "The Mase -iah"

Clearly he using the self improvement stratagie promoted by Cher from Clueless. You learn one new word each day and try to shoehorn it into a sentence somewhere no matter how little sense it makes.

DLJB 04-26-2013 07:41 AM

I'm a Flyers fan and not much of a Bryz fan but you have to cut him a bit of slack. Other than the whole Pronger situation, the Flyers D has been pretty banged up this year. This was their D lineup last night for example...

Oliver Lauridsen - Luke Schenn
Andreas Lilja - Erik Gustafsson
Brandon Manning - Matt Konan

Seriously!

And they won 2-1!

Curufinwe 04-26-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop Winnin (Post 64669405)
Duh, not only is it a ******** of money, but he's not actually that bad.

Hi save percentage as a Flyer of .905 puts him in the bottom tier of NHL goalies. Only so much of that can be deflected by blaming the Flyers' team defense.

Over the last two seasons Dubnyk has put up a healthy .917, and I don't believe that Edmonton's defense has been worse than Philadelphia's.

smitty10 04-26-2013 08:37 AM

That must mean that Lavi is being fired.

NitHeel 04-26-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curufinwe (Post 64699541)
Hi save percentage as a Flyer of .905 puts him in the bottom tier of NHL goalies. Only so much of that can be deflected by blaming the Flyers' team defense.

Over the last two seasons Dubnyk has put up a healthy .917, and I don't believe that Edmonton's defense has been worse than Philadelphia's.

False. He's facing point blank shots every night. He's not a top-end goalie or anything, but he's certainly better then "bottom tier".

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty10 (Post 64699557)
That must mean that Lavi is being fired.

And false. If that were happening, he would have been let go before the playoffs were out of reach just to see if they could find a spark. He'll certainly be on a short leash at the start of next season though.

Championship* 04-26-2013 09:29 AM

If it's broke, don't fix it!