HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Tie breakers are stupid. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1413061)

KEEROLE Vatanen 04-26-2013 03:05 AM

Tie breakers are stupid.

Go to 1 game playoff instead, when a playoff spot is on the line.
playoff rules, no shootouts, winner take all. everyone benefits, the fans, the players get to decide it, not a dumb tiebreaking system. tv wins, we all win, except for the team that loses

Oobz 04-26-2013 03:07 AM

Hmmmmm, sounds exciting but I'd have to disagree and I doubt the NHLPA would enjoy having to play an extra game risking injuries before the playoffs.

Weastern Bias 04-26-2013 03:07 AM

Great idea, somebody call Bettman

KEEROLE Vatanen 04-26-2013 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oobz (Post 64697427)
Hmmmmm, sounds exciting but I'd have to disagree and I doubt the NHLPA would enjoy having to play an extra game risking injuries before the playoffs.

well that's the fault of the teams who failed to be a point better

Oobz 04-26-2013 03:09 AM

So what if you have 3 teams that are tied for 1 spot?

KEEROLE Vatanen 04-26-2013 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oobz (Post 64697445)

then we have 3 teams play at the same time.
or use tiebreakers to determine who plays, like h2h matchups?

Oobz 04-26-2013 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KEEROLE Vatanen (Post 64697463)
then we have 3 teams play at the same time.
or use tiebreakers to determine who plays, like h2h matchups?

Use tiebreakers to decide who plays in the games that were suppose to get rid of tie breakers. I see.

Gnova 04-26-2013 03:20 AM

The current ROW tiebreaker is fine.
If you managed to win more games without resorting to the gimmick shootout you win.

It provides incentive to win games.

Eisen 04-26-2013 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KEEROLE Vatanen (Post 64697409)
playoff rules, no shootouts, winner take all. everyone benefits, the fans, the players get to decide it, not a dumb tiebreaking system. tv wins, we all win, except for the team that loses

Why have an 82 games schedule then?

LPH 04-26-2013 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oobz (Post 64697445)

immediately what i thought of when I read the op. You would be forced to do some sort of tournament between the teams, where they each played each other and that isn't even necessarily a sure thing. If they all get one win there would still be a 3 way tie, so then you would have to us some sort of tie break to determine the winner :laugh:

acor 04-26-2013 04:15 AM

Quote:

And the fairness loses as well...
Plus Im not so sure that media, fans, players of the remaining playoff teams etc. would be very pleased about delaying start of playoffs BC one random game needs to be played..

vippe 04-26-2013 04:21 AM

Lets just skip the regular season all together then.. What's the point in having a grueling 82 game schedule if in the end it's not final.

Keep as is.

CTU2fan 04-26-2013 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acor (Post 64697809)
And the fairness loses as well...
Plus Im not so sure that media, fans, players of the remaining playoff teams etc. would be very pleased about delaying start of playoffs BC one random game needs to be played..

It wouldn't come up that much. Play it the day after the regular season ends. No need for a delay, winner heads to the home of the #1 seed and opens the playoffs as scheduled.

ODAAT 04-26-2013 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KEEROLE Vatanen (Post 64697409)

Far too many things stupid IMO

Firstly, HATE a point awarded to a team that loses, terrible awarding a loss

Shootouts #2, haven`t watched one live EVER I am proud to say, could care less when it benefits the team I play for or not.

Nobody will ever convince me that a team game settled by an individual skills competition is the way to go

Colorado Avalanche 04-26-2013 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODAAT (Post 64699305)
Far too many things stupid IMO

Firstly, HATE a point awarded to a team that loses, terrible awarding a loss

Shootouts #2, haven`t watched one live EVER I am proud to say, could care less when it benefits the team I play for or not.

Nobody will ever convince me that a team game settled by an individual skills competition is the way to go

That's why for regular win you should get 3 points, not 2. Overtime/shootout win you get only 2 points.

starling 04-26-2013 07:41 AM

So who gets home ice for the tiebreaker game? Do they play another game to decide it?:sarcasm:

TCL40 04-26-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche (Post 64699517)
That's why for regular win you should get 3 points, not 2. Overtime/shootout win you get only 2 points.

I would love to see them go to a three point system. Would love to see them ditch the shoot out but they won't, but only taking two points from an ot might make teams play for the win rather than the tie.

I don't think they will go for it because the league seems to like the illusion that teams are still in the playoff hunt.

Mansfield 04-26-2013 07:45 AM

current tiebreakers are fine

Ari91 04-26-2013 07:45 AM

I think there are enough replies in here that cover why this is a bad idea.

TieClark 04-26-2013 07:45 AM

Can't do that unless you get rid of shootouts. As it is now row is the only consolation to a team like the leafs with no shootout wins and more row wins than 90% of teams in the league

Thunderhead 04-26-2013 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oobz (Post 64697469)
Use tiebreakers to decide who plays in the games that were suppose to get rid of tie breakers. I see.

Can't help but :laugh: at this. Thanks:)

FormerRedwingFan 04-26-2013 07:50 AM

each GM should have a fantasy hockey team, and the outcome of the rankings in the fantasy hockey tournement break all ties.

SoupNazi 04-26-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oobz (Post 64697469)

That makes sense.

me2 04-26-2013 08:29 AM

Just settle it with a giant shootout. Hockey is better with shootouts, so what could be better than a 3 way shootout! Nothing says real hockey like a goalie staring down two shooters, each with their own puck, at the same time.

rojac 04-26-2013 08:29 AM

Every team knows what the tiebreakers are going into the season, so they should be playing the season with those in mind:
  • Emphasize winning in regulation or overtime.
  • Win as many points against each team as possible.
  • Maximize goal differential (within reason).

If you play tiebreaker games the day after the season ends, do you then have to avoid scheduling teams to play back-to-backs at the end of the season so a team isn't playing three in a row? And if one of the two teams isn't playing the last day and the other is, is it a fair tiebreaker? So, I would think that you would want to schedule the tiebreakers for two days after the season ends and then you probably wouldn't start the playoffs for at least two more days after that.

It just seems so much easier to decide things with the current tiebreaking system.