HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Anaheim Ducks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   1st round matchup.. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1414001)

gradeAducksfan 04-27-2013 11:17 AM

1st round matchup..

The big question is "Who are the Ducks going to face in the first round". As of right now it's the Red Wings and I for one "DO NOT" want to face them in the first round.

Who do you think the Ducks match up against in a 7 game series? Wings, Wild or Jackets?

For me, I would like to see us playing the Wild.

Any thoughts?

NEWFowler 04-27-2013 11:18 AM

The only teams I don't want to see are San Jose and L.A. Columbus worries me a bit, because of Bobrovsky.. Other than that? Doesn't matter to me. If we play well we can beat any team.

gradeAducksfan 04-27-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newfie9 (Post 64753789)
The only teams I don't want to see are San Jose and L.A. Columbus worries me a bit, because of Bobrovsky.. Other than that? Doesn't matter to me. If we play well we can beat any team.

I don't think any Ducks fans want to see L.A but the Ducks are going to be playing San Jose or L.A in the first round.

Ducks DVM 04-27-2013 11:27 AM

San Jose can't go any lower than the 6 seed now, so the three options are Detroit (if they win OR get a point with Minnesota failing to get more than 1 point), Minnesota with a win and a Detroit loss, or Columbus with a win and Detroit loss and Minnesota loss or OT/SO loss.

Detroit plays at Dallas
Minnesota at home vs Colorado
Columbus at home vs Nashville

quentez 04-27-2013 11:33 AM

This season we are 3-0-0 vs Wild, and I believe our record isn't that good vs both Wings and CBJ. Wild or CBJ for me.

Rielly Good 04-27-2013 11:38 AM

I didn't want to start a thread. I have Getzlaf in my hockey pool. Is he resting or playing tonight?

jiggsawpuzzle35 04-27-2013 11:47 AM

Get me Minnesota since they suck now and plus we've owned them in the Playoffs. 6-1 loss to Edmonton? You have got to be kidding me.

Gibsons Finest 04-27-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quentez (Post 64754333)
This season we are 3-0-0 vs Wild, and I believe our record isn't that good vs both Wings and CBJ. Wild or CBJ for me.

Meh. Those games against the Wild were quite tight, and Howard put on a show in the one Detroit game. I guess I wouldn't mind the Wild if Pominville's out, especially given they really don't have a good defense past Suter, but they're still pretty good. Columbus almost certainly has the worst group of skaters of the three, but Bobrovsky scares the hell out of me. Detroit isn't what they used to be, but obviously still have Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

I guess I really don't care what happens. They're all good teams, with strengths and weaknesses, so whatever happens happens.

Also, a little OT, but I've just noticed that whoever loses the SJ-LA game tonight couldn't possibly face us until the WCF. Fairly interesting IMO.

snowave 04-27-2013 11:59 AM

my preference list would be

MIN
DET
COL

ShadowDuck 04-27-2013 12:13 PM

CBJ or MIN.

Just keep us away from Jimmy Howard.

TheFlyingV 04-27-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rielly Good (Post 64754539)
I didn't want to start a thread. I have Getzlaf in my hockey pool. Is he resting or playing tonight?

Not sure, the thought is that we should see a playoff lineup tonight though. I think Getzlaf alluded to playing tonight while he was in the broadcast booth Thursday night.

KEEROLE Vatanen 04-27-2013 12:42 PM

Will probably be detroit.
i'm fine playing them, but just worried about the insane ref advantage they always get.

remember when mike brown delivered a clean hit, got ejected, and they ended up scoring on a PP in 2009? yeah that's the ******** we're up against

Spicy Porkins 04-27-2013 12:43 PM

I think the Wings are surfing on reputation here a bit. In my mind they are clearly the weakest of the 9 teams still in the hunt.

Their group of defensemen is pretty mediocre and out of Bobrovsky, Backstrom, and Howard, I'd choose Howard as the opponent every time.

DuckJet 04-27-2013 12:48 PM

I'd prefer to go up against Minnesota. They're the most beatable of the 3.

KelVarnsen 04-27-2013 12:48 PM

That might be true but the Ducks usually don't play well in Det and the wings have a huge advantage reffing wise when they play us.

Spicy Porkins 04-27-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KelVarnsen (Post 64757771)
That might be true but the Ducks usually don't play well in Det and the wings have a huge advantage reffing wise when they play us.

Our playoff record in Detroit since 2003 is 3-4. And every team has the reffing advantage over us this year it seems.

rollingdux 04-27-2013 12:54 PM

Meh. Bring on the Wings.

Takao 04-27-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rielly Good (Post 64754539)

Couple tweets indicating he is figured in to be playing tonight.

As for me, don't want Detroit sorry.

JabbaJabba 04-27-2013 01:16 PM

I have said this couple of times but I say it again, Minnesota in the first round please. They have some injuries and outside of their 1st line, they don't have much scoring depth. Parise and Koivu are warriors and leaders, and Coyle is awesome but they can't play all the time. Same goes for their defence, Suter-Brodin is great but that's it really. Also the Ducks seem to score on Bäckström quite well.

Detroit isn't as strong as it has been in recent years and few of their players seem to have an off year. Still, they are fighting for a playoff spot. And they are known for doing well in meaningful games. Their defence isn't as good as it was with Lidström but it's still better than Minnesota's. Howard is pretty scary too.

And I don't want the Ducks to be the team that gets eliminated by Columbus...

PrototypeX85 04-27-2013 01:25 PM

Detroit is the only team that I don't want the Ducks to play in the opening round. Their offense is red hot right now, and we don't have the defensive depth to slow them down, in my opinion. That, and they always tend to get more powerplays than us. I'd be okay with any other team, but would prefer Minnesota.

mmbt 04-27-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quentez (Post 64754333)

Regular season head to head is irrelevant. I've seen teams go 6-0 against an opponent, only to end up in a dogfight of a series. Hell, we got owned by Detroit in '03, and then we turned around and swept them.

The big criteria are:
1) face the worst goaltending possible, and
2) face the team least likely to wear you down physically

Spicy Porkins 04-27-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmbt (Post 64760071)
Regular season head to head is irrelevant. I've seen teams go 6-0 against an opponent, only to end up in a dogfight of a series. Hell, we got owned by Detroit in '03, and then we turned around and swept them.

The big criteria are:
1) face the worst goaltending possible, and
2) face the team least likely to wear you down physically

Yep. And that's Detroit.

They're the only team I'd give us an even chance of beating.

TheJoeMan 04-27-2013 02:07 PM

We're better than all three of those teams so who cares? We can't be afraid of an opponent otherwise there's no chance we win the Cup. I want Detroit because I want us to beat them. They are our biggest playoff rival and we owe them for '09. We've beaten them twice and they've beaten us three times. It's time to even the score.

CrazyDuck4u 04-27-2013 02:10 PM

Maybe instead of talking about all the what ifs.. Someone make a GTD lol

Spicy Porkins 04-27-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJoeMan (Post 64760989)
We're better than all three of those teams so who cares? We can't be afraid of an opponent otherwise there's no chance we win the Cup. I want Detroit because I want us to beat them. They are our biggest playoff rival and we owe them for '09. We've beaten them twice and they've beaten us three times. It's time to even the score.

I'm not on the team. My fears really don't play into what happens on the ice.